It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Yr Old Sets Field on Fire with Fireworks, now for the rest of the story...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by FairSceptic

I sort of wish this was a chain email, I'd received. I wouldn't have sat at my desk today with a tear running down my cheek and a huge smile on my face.

This person is real, he has the biggest heart of anyone I know.

Well, its a chain email now! I don't know about everyone else, but I copied and pasted it to everyone I know, along with a link back here.

Makes you wonder how many of those touching stories that I discount and delete so quickly in my email box are actually true stories with an "elevatedone" sitting at a desk somewhere appreciating their friend?

[edit on 6-7-2010 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
What a great story. This is true patriot, a real police officer.

Imagine the profound effect he's had on that child's life from this point on?

I take my hat off to folk like this.

~Keeper

Yes, I'm sure the officer DID have a profound and lasting effect with his actions, but someone else, somewhere along the line, has had an effect as well.

How many 13 year olds can you think of who would stand there and wait for the cuffs, knowing it's coming, just because they thought that was the right thing to do?

Those are the actions of a grown man. No, scratch that. I know several grown men who wouldn't have the fortitude to shoulder their own responsibilities like that.

I think this kid is gonna do just fine. We need more like him, too, as well as the officer.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
That's a great story! Your friend seems like a true police officer. It's nice to hear stories like this.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I think the real hero of this story is the kid.

Second line .. and his mum.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by americanwoman

Over the years he has come home with bumps and bruises from fights with some lowlife. He has been shot at twice. He has been in 2 car wrecks just trying to GET there to help someone who needed him. He has missed parties and ballgames and cancelled vacations because some a-hole wants to diddle an innocent child, or beaten their wife, or cooked meth in their trunk. If he points a gun at you....there is a damn good reason for it and I would just as soon he made it home to us each night if it is all the same to you. So spare me your "cops are evil" or "poor little me, the big bad MAN is just trying to keep me down".

You should not get angry at another poster because he expresses his misgivings with the police. The sad truth of the matter is that not all cops are like your husband, if in fact your husband is even good. If your husband was a bad cop, I'm sure he isn't going to come home and tell his wife he is on a power trip or violated someone's civil rights. Now, that's not saying that your husband isn't a good peace officer, rather it's pointing out that there are many bad cops and their families probably think they are the best cops in the world.

As far as officers having to give up on vacations or getting up in the middle of the night, it goes with the job. That's what cops do. Think how many people are sitting in prison, missing every holiday because some dirty cop decided to lie, plant evidence, follow an unlawful order or break the law to entrap someone else. Some people even loose their lives to dirty cops or cops on an unwarranted power trip.

I could even go further to suggest that cops who are only doing their jobs, are still breaking natural law by upholding tyrannical laws.

The point here, is that many outstanding citizens have had bad run-ins with the police and they should have every right to complain about it. I myself was severely beaten with a nightstick by a corrupt cop when I was a teenager and I had never broke the law in my life. He was just a cop on a power trip and decided that his rights over-trumped mine. Now, I don't hold any grudges against the police but I sure understand why others would. I'm sure that the wife of the cop who beat me thinks that her husband is the best cop in the world too.

Irregardless of whether your husband is a good cop or bad cop, there remains many bad cops out there and this being a supposedly free country, we should have every right to speak out against these cops. I can almost guarantee that most people have had more bad experiences with the police, than good experiences. Who cares if a cop has to wake in the middle of the night or whether or not they miss vacations, this doesn't give them a valid excuse to violate people's rights. After all, they knew exactly what they were signing up for, right? you shouldn't really gripe and complain about something you entered into fully aware of.

Think about it... Most people are scared of the police, irregardless of whether they break the law or not. This is the sign of two things. Either an authoritarian state and a corrupt police force. even in the OP, the boy was scared [snip] when the officer arrived. All he did was make a mistake, yet he was so frightened. That's not right, not in a supposed free country founded on the principals of liberty and justice. So again, hold your tongue when someone else decides to mention their bad experiences with the police.

--airspoon

p.s. I commend you on your family's choice to adopt/foster troubled children, as long as your heart and motives are in the right place.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Sounds like most police officers where I live ^_^

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
What a great story. This is true patriot, a real police officer.

Imagine the profound effect he's had on that child's life from this point on?

I take my hat off to folk like this.

~Keeper

Yes, I'm sure the officer DID have a profound and lasting effect with his actions, but someone else, somewhere along the line, has had an effect as well.

How many 13 year olds can you think of who would stand there and wait for the cuffs, knowing it's coming, just because they thought that was the right thing to do?

Those are the actions of a grown man. No, scratch that. I know several grown men who wouldn't have the fortitude to shoulder their own responsibilities like that.

I think this kid is gonna do just fine. We need more like him, too, as well as the officer.

i think its says alot about boys moma, rasing the boy by herself and showing him whats the right thing to do. with all the bs out that the kids are getting into, this young man stood frim and did his moma proud, and the cop what can i say, he gotta be from the old school

messed up on the quote thin sorrygy

[edit on 6-7-2010 by hounddoghowlie]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have read and reread this post many times and every single time it brought a tear to my eye. I think because of the way I wish our officers all were, and even if this were a hoax, it lifted me and those I shared this with.

Well done OP. Thank you for bringing some brilliance to a site that seems to be over run by doom Sayers, pessimist and fear mongers....

Whatever God you pray to, may you be blessed for the lives you touched here.

Thank you

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Great story i had a tear too like many other ATSrs. Dont like the sound of it becoming a chain mail though???

They are not generally very good.

S and F from me

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

So again, hold your tongue when someone else decides to mention their bad experiences with the police.

And you really wonder where the problem lies.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by americanwoman]

[edit on 6-7-2010 by americanwoman]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The way the officer handled the situation is commendable, but honestly, I'm more impressed with the kid's reaction.

He knew that doing the right thing could land him in a lot of trouble but he did it anyway. That took guts.

A decent percentage of kids would have just ran away and blamed it on someone or something else if confronted.

A big
for the both of them.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

All I can say is WOW this is a real cop, I have a couple of friends who are cops also, and this guy is a lot like my friends. Its so good to hear about these rare occasions like this. Now this is another real cop. Too bad its the many that ruin it for the few..........

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Great story and may I say this helps prove there is good people on earth, even Cop ones. Two.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by googolplex]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just now read this and if it hasent already been said; God bless America.
This officer is true gentleman and a true American!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
the description of that family & their life situation was very moving to me because my family has lived virtually the same way in the past, as have many of my friends throughout my life.

I can honestly say (as sad as it is) that this is the FIRST & ONLY memorable story I've heard of a law enforcement officer making life BETTER for people in these kinds of life situations, and I had serious doubts that I ever would hear of something like that....

Thank you.

-B.M

[edit on 7/7/10 by B.Morrison]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

so then the issue is in what people think is the right thing to do in a given situation.

not...

that waiting to be arrested necessarily is the right thing to do in any situation, because to do so in some situations, would be moronic....

just an observation..I still wholeheartedly agree that the kid was a wonderful example of how to 'be' in that instance & I sincerely hope that he can continue to knock back the lifestyle surrounding him & write his own path breaking free from the expectations of his peers & those that society at large has for people in that life situation...and he is lucky he is as strong as he is, because he will have to use all of it to stay true to himself as he continues to grow up in that 'world'.

-B.M

[edit on 6/7/10 by B.Morrison]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101
God bless America.
This officer is true gentleman and a true American!

Nothing about that story was uniquely american.
Nothing at all, and to use the story as base for patriotism....

When are people going to start showing more loyalty to UNIVERSAL GOOD than a silly little patch of dirt? (no matter which country it is)

because I think we all know that is one of the changes this world needs to make to live in peace in the future.

-B.M

P.S) we call trailers caravans over here...its about the only difference I can see....

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

[edit on 6-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison

Originally posted by nenothtu

so then the issue is in what people think is the right thing to do in a given situation.

not...

that waiting to be arrested necessarily is the right thing to do in any situation, because to do so in some situations, would be moronic....

Yes. There is right, and there is wrong, and this young man had a well developed sense of that, and that it was the right thing to to to shoulder his responsibilities, and own the consequences of his own actions.

I commend him for that.

just an observation..I still wholeheartedly agree that the kid was a wonderful example of how to 'be' in that instance & I sincerely hope that he can continue to knock back the lifestyle surrounding him & write his own path breaking free from the expectations of his peers & those that society at large has for people in 'that boat'...and he is lucky he is as strong as he is, because he will have to use all of it to 'get out'.

-B.M

It's character like that which demonstrates strength of the soul, and you're absolutely right, he'll need every bit of that as life goes forward and upward.

I really wish it had been installed in more people on this tiny planet.

Edit to add: The officer demonstrated an uncommon amount of strength as well. The "right" thing to do in any given situation is not always what you're "supposed" to do or "expected" to do. He did the "right" thing, in my opinion. To have done otherwise, and come down hard on the kid, would have caused the kid to question the inner strength he's already developing.

THAT could have had disastrous consequences for the kid, and perhaps society in general in years to come.

[edit on 2010/7/6 by nenothtu]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by nenothtu
Edit to add: The officer demonstrated an uncommon amount of strength as well. The "right" thing to do in any given situation is not always what you're "supposed" to do or "expected" to do. He did the "right" thing, in my opinion. To have done otherwise, and come down hard on the kid, would have caused the kid to question the inner strength he's already developing.

THAT could have had disastrous consequences for the kid, and perhaps society in general in years to come.

So true, and while I felt the need to point out what i did, I agree with you also that the kid did the right thing, I just hope that as you point out, everyone else in future situations has the strength to match him (as the officer did), and as such, his efforts for good are justified by the appropriate actions of others.

originally posted by airspoonJust because your husband is a cop, doesn't mean that somehow you or him is immune to such evil. Furthermore, I didn't questions your motives, rather I commended you for it, as long as your motives were pure.

you berate someone for speaking of their negative experiences with the police, as if policemen can't do wrong or are somehow better or more important than the rest of us. Then you speak [insult removed], as if you know what your talking about, in an effort to kill the messenger and not the message. A police officer is no different than a soldier, short-order cook or even a hair dresser. Not one is better than the other and they should all have to follow the rules. The problem is, the police are supposed to be upholding those rules and so get held to a higher standard.

SO F'in true...and from what i can tell its a problem for both officer & civilian.

Usually I find my views to be at the furthest end of the stick from those of the ATSer's I've encountered who were or are soldiers..
but this thread is opening my eyes in more ways then I counted on..
I hope the people fighting for me hold an equal measure of standards to uphold & live to....or perhaps I should say equal levels of perception & clarity...? either way its a compliment to you.

I have to say that the above quoted posters & the story divulged by the thread author have done some serious good for rebuilding my faith in people.

today was a good day on ATS. The first in a long time.

-B.M

P.S) noticed the post of airspoon was removed, if due to insulting nature, I've removed the insults from the text I quoted & if it was a matter of taste, well then perhaps the moderation was a little hasty....just my 2 cent. hope my edits have satisfied T&C.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join