It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigration Costs U.S. $113 Billion a Year, Study Finds

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Probably one of the reasons we had immigration laws and quotas to begin with. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
OK, And Obamas Administration is Suing Arizona because,
What, we are tired of paying the bills?
Please stop crying about me using FOX, come on you afraid you might actually learn something?

So these illegal immigrants:

Don't pay sales taxes?

Don't keep prices of goods down by working for an illegal wage?

Don't spend money locally?

Yeah, they're ONLY taking, and not giving ANYTHING back.

Illegal aliens help subsidize US economy

Illegal immigrants were responsible for 10 percent of the government’s surplus in 2004. That is quite a tidy sum. And because they are not legally authorized to be a part of the workforce, the immigrants will not collect any benefits later, not that they are, or should be complaining.

Illegal Workers: Good for US Economy

"Without the immigrants, we would have a decline in labor force of 3 to 4 percent," he said. "We couldn't have grown nearly as much as we did in the '90s if we didn't have immigrants. And in the last few years our growth would have been slower. The only thing I've argued is that we've ignored that illegal immigration has put a lot of young adults into economic jeopardy."

Will Curbing Illegal Immigration Harm the Economy?

Professor Germain understands the anger directed towards undocumented immigrants but points to certain realities. Removing that population would not only be very difficult, she warns, but would also have a major impact on the overall U.S. economy.

"[These] people pay taxes here," she says, "and often their employers will deduct taxes from their pay that they can never recover through Social Security. So there's this idea out there that people aren't contributing. People think... the kids who are undocumented or their parents are undocumented, they're not paying for the school. And I'm thinking, they're paying property taxes because they pay rent or they own a home. They pay rent; the property owner uses a portion of that rent money to pay for his property taxes. So there's a perception that people aren't paying or sustaining themselves here, which I think is unfair and untrue."

And guess how the shortfall in tax revenue would be compensated for? That's right - people like YOU will pay more in taxes.

So yeah, apparently you SHOULD use sources other than ones that just reinforce your beliefs - like Fox News.

And perhaps your hatred would be better directed toward the people who entice and exploit illegal labor. Without them, there wouldn't be any illegal immigration.

[edit on 7/7/10 by mothershipzeta]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd
the government is paying immigrates $10,000 a pop to start their new life here once they become a citizen. They're ILLEGAL ALIENS! Basically, we're giving $10,000 to anyone who decides to commit a crime!

I trust you have some kind of citation that proves that, right?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

I'll tell you what they do.

They drive up the cost of Car Insurance, Health Insurance, Home owners Insurance and taxes for our schools and the need for more Police Officers.

How about the cost of closing a hospital because you can't pay your staff?

There are many, many things that cost money and it all out ways your need for illegals.
You want them in your city and state or you don't have enough, please let me know what state and city you live in and I'll make my map with directions to your home.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

As of this posting the US has spent $1 trillion dollars:

$732,041,477,418 Iraq
$281,859,563,736 Afghan

costofwar.com...

if the US reduced 10% of our war efforts that would solve the immigrant crisis, save some lives and make the US more neighborly.

Cheers

Nice way to try and get us off topic.

1. Those Policing actions now need to end.
2. Illegal Immigrants need to be sent packing.
2a. Pakistan and India did mass deportations when Pakistan formed, why can't we do that to those who are here illegally?
2b. Have those troops from both policing actions go to the southern border. I doubt they will try to cross with them there.

A nation cannot stand if it does not protect it's borders, language and culture. It's time we started doing so.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyannVonDoom
why can't we do that to those who are here illegally?

We implies you have a say in it. Many before have also asked why can't we. You can't because your government doesn't care what you want.

They can and have and will probably continue to keep the border insecure until it creates the kinds of problems that need the annexing of mexico or working together as a NAU to ensure national security.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ..5..
If the moony-eyed illegal alien lovers want to see the true effects of what our uninvited neighbors south of the border do to a neighborhood they move into. Find an old TV show filmed on the streets of LA in the 60s or 70s (Dragnet, Adam 12 etc) and google the same cross streets today and see what illegal aliens will do to a working class neighborhood.

They have no respect for the country. They neither worked for nor built it. All they did was jump a fence.

And you did what besides popping out of a womb? Why don't you watch a show filmed in Detroit, MI during the golden days of the US auto industry and bemoan what US citizens do to their neighborhoods?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

How about the cost of closing a hospital because you can't pay your staff?

I call that mismanagement, greed or consolidation. Your reason for hospital closing is lame. Illegals aren't to blame totally and common sense should tell you that.

Of course, your hatred and agenda have you believing everything.

Please tell me how illegal immigrants are to blame for hospital closing when majority of hospitals, if not all, don't ask who is legal and who isn't.

Furthermore, 30-45 million Americans without insurance and many individuals like myself, who have insurance, are unable to pay what insurance doesn't cover surely has to be part of the problem.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Explain to me exactly what illegals have of monetary value to bring into our Country? Is it your Drugs? Is it Bed-Bugs, Fleas, Lice and Ticks? Is it the two or three kids in-tow that will require medical attention and a education?

Cheap labor.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

The most important finding of the study is the enormous cost to state and local governments due to lack of enforcement of our immigration laws,” Martin wrote.

[The report found that the federal government paid $28.6 billion in illegal related costs, and state and local governments paid $84.2 billion on an estimated 13 million undocumented residents. In his speech, Obama estimated that there are 11 million.]

OK, And Obamas Administration is Suing Arizona because,
What, we are tired of paying the bills?
I sure hope those links work, especially the one that shows you state by state.
MODS: if already posted, I did a search, so please move.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to add: Please stop crying about me using FOX, come on you afraid you might actually learn something?

[edit on 6-7-2010 by guohua]

I think the study forgot to add how much illegal aliens make for America.

They don't just cost money, they also make money, they are part of the US economy.

FOX news, zzzz

I hate them

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Maybe you should know a little about FAIR, the people taking the survey...

www.splcenter.org...

...well-documented links to extremism...At the center of the Tanton web is the nonprofit Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), the most important organization fueling the backlash against immigration. Founded by Tanton in 1979, FAIR has long been marked by anti-Latino and anti-Catholic attitudes. It has mixed this bigotry with a fondness for eugenics, the idea of breeding better humans discredited by its Nazi associations.

It has accepted $1.2 million from an infamous, racist eugenics foundation.

It has employed officials in key positions who are also members of white supremacist groups. Recently, it has promoted racist conspiracy theories about Mexico's secret designs on the American Southwest and an alternative theory alleging secret plans to merge the United States, Mexico and Canada. In 2006, a senior FAIR official sought "advice" from the leaders of a racist Belgian political party. FAIR officials declined repeated requests for comment.

...more on that site and here's something from the anti defamation league
www.adl.org...

Daniel Stein, executive director of the Washington-based FAIR, Federation for American Immigration Reform . . .said the group spent “six figures” on the anti-sprawl ads . . . –– Washington Post, September 21, 2000

Unfortunately, however, there are today, as in the past, some individuals and organizations whose anti-immigration position is marked by mean-spirited distortions, nativist bias, anti-foreigner fear-mongering, and even overt racism.

These groups foment an atmosphere chilling to the notion of an open, tolerant America that respects all persons, regardless of origin.
more there...
...And from Wiki ...FAIR is called a Hate Group
en.wikipedia.org...

A hate group
In December 2007, FAIR was identified as a "hate group" by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
FAIR has been criticized by the International Relations Center as producing "policy rhetoric [that] is often inflammatory, clearly anti-immigrant, and partisan."
In 2005, an article by Leonard Zeskind in the liberal political magazine, The American Prospect, called FAIR "the anti-immigration movement’s most powerful institution". It further asserted FAIR has cooperated with "white nationalists".
FAIR has also been criticized for accepting contributions from the Pioneer Fund. Between 1982 and 1994, FAIR received $1.2 million from the foundation.
The Pioneer Fund focuses on projects it perceives will not be easily funded because of controversial, racial, or pro-eugenics subject matter.
It was described by the Sunday Telegraph as a "neo-Nazi organization closely integrated with the far right in American politics" in 1989.

So, naturally they are going to say stuff like:
Illegal Immigration Costs U.S. $113 Billion a Year, Study Finds

You have to know who is doing the study (FAIR) and what their agenda is...

[edit on 7-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Yes many of these K-12 children did hop the fence with their parents, and many of them are brought here as babies. If a child's parents are here illegally just because the child is born here does not make them a citizen. They are abusing the 14th amendment and using it for something it was never intended to be used for. The illegal parents are foreign nationals and not subject to the jurisdiction of the US so the 14th amendment doesn't apply to them.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

That's 2.8 million jobs that Americans could be working. And yes with the economy in the shape that it's in, the amount of unemployed Americans, and the loss of their unemployment benefits they would take those jobs in a heartbeat. Don't be fooled into thinking that illegals are only working minimum wage and under jobs, there are plenty that are working $10. an hr and up jobs.

The amount they pay for rent, utilities, food, etc is miniscule compared to what they cost this country. They live 15-20 to a two bedroom apartment so they can keep their cost of living way down and be able to afford to send the majority of their earnings back to Mexico. That hurts our economy greatly by taking money made here out of this country. Factor in how much they save by the state paying for their children's health insurance, food, and education which gives them even more to send back home, off our backs.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

Okay then. Who would YOU like to see do the cost analysis? The government claims it can't, you can't, you claim FAIR did a horrible, biased, hateful job. So how do we determine the real cost?

How about we start with the mere cost of educating the kids? Then maybe use a few other scenarios with some stated assumptions, both on the cost side and the contribution side. That would be a start. Fact is, you have less than FAIR does to speak from. Far less.

As for that tax issue we keep coming back to...the government claims it can't even TRACK it even if they pay income taxes. In addition, if they do pay and file say under tax ID number, these horrible low incomes they make that they pay taxes on are probably so low they pay very little if any. Show me the figures to counter logic and the FAIR numbers and the numbers at the other links or end your argument.

[edit on 7/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

The problem is, even though about 10% of America is out of work many of those people would not be willing to do the jobs illegal aliens do for anywhere near the pay illegal aliens get. Unemployed MBA's are not going to want to clean toilets for minimum wage or even twice minimum wage. College graduates are not going to want to pick strawberries when they can just move back home and mooch off their parents.

The number of unemployed Americans in reality is far greater than 10%. And while they may not want to do the jobs for such low wages, having no money coming coming in they will do those jobs. Not many parents are in the situation today where they can afford to have their adult child mooching off of them. That old worn out arguement about how Americans won't do those jobs is just a lot of hot air that politicians and corporate America started blowing around.

Throughout the years while raising my sons by myself and furthering my education I've worked whatever jobs I could get as long as they helped pay the bills. I've packaged in a factory, worked in a flower shop, in stores, at McDonalds, tended bar, and yes I have cleaned people's toilets matter of fact I've been unemployed for over two years now and I still clean people's toilets to try and make ends meet and at every job that I've worked my fellow coworkers have been American citizens, so drop the the "Americans won't take those jobs" excuse cause it's BS.

BTW there are many illegal working jobs that in factories, construction,etc that pay way more tham minimum wage.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chise61

Give it a rest!! you "guys" keep repeating the tired UNTRUE dribble about them sending all this money back to Mexico, all the unemployed people would be glad to take those jobs, and they are taking all the good paying jobs away from hard working Americans.

the only thing remotely close to true to some degree is that they send "SOME" money back to there families in Mexico. Americans WILL NOT TAKE the jobs or they would already have taken them, and just plain old common sense should tell you they are less educated so the salary they could demand would be less than 10 bucks an hour if not minimum wage positions.

You should spend more time telling the politicians and the bankers to stop giving it to you relentlessly and outsourcing the manufacturing industries (ahhh too late for that) and the other MILLIONS of jobs over seas.

Deporting 11M of the people propping up the economy in whatever capacity isn't going to save anyone especially the 20% unemployment, just do simple math, take your head out of the sand and THINK for yourself...... SIMPLE LOGIC will tell you whats happening. that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 million jobs lost.... so go ahead and deport the illegals those 5 million low level jobs are NOT GOING TO SAVE you.

Just irritating the crap people repeat without even thinking about it..... its BS guys all smoke and mirrors so they can further keep you distracted.

Wake the heck up already.... and sorry for the rant its not a personal attack at you its the disinformation repeated time after time..... just a big distraction from the real problems.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chise61
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Yes many of these K-12 children did hop the fence with their parents, and many of them are brought here as babies. If a child's parents are here illegally just because the child is born here does not make them a citizen. They are abusing the 14th amendment and using it for something it was never intended to be used for. The illegal parents are foreign nationals and not subject to the jurisdiction of the US so the 14th amendment doesn't apply to them.

How do you figure they are abusing the 14th amendment? They are not handing themselves SS numbers and passports. Those are being given to them by your government because it is the law of the land.

Your interpretation of the 14th amendment is of no importance. Only the SCOTUS can hand down the oficial interpretation of it and as far as they are concerned it means all babies born in the US are citizens.

Should it be that way? Should the 14th be repealed? That's up to the government to decide and until they do, if they do, the children of illegals are citizens.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Okay then. Who would YOU like to see do the cost analysis? The government claims it can't, you can't, you claim FAIR did a horrible, biased, hateful job. So how do we determine the real cost?

So if a well done, unbiased cost analysis has yet to be done wouldn't the reasonable thing to do is not take anything at face value?

Question both sides because you know both sides are talking BS.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

reply to post by rusethorcain Okay then. Who would YOU like to see do the cost analysis? The government claims it can't, you can't, you claim FAIR did a horrible, biased, hateful job. So how do we determine the real cost?

Really, I don't think it is my place to come up with fair immigration reform.

I understand there are intricacies to this dilemma I will never grasp and you have no idea. Those trying to put one in place are ignorant of those special circumstances. A "wall" or a "one size fits all solution" will never work.
Children who have lived here all their lives, men who fought in our wars as a means to gaining citizenship are threatened with deportation now. It is wrong.
You cannot solve a problem by creating another problem.
I don't think good people should be punished for desiring freedom or wanting to be Americans. I don't think criminals should be rewarded with citizenship.
I also don't think states have the right to usurp the government unless that state is ready to secede from the union. We are United for a reason. There are benefits to being part of a larger entity.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Duh. This is a discussion started with a baseline of some facts and figures someone (no matter what you think about them) bothered to take the time to put together.

People are questioning and discussing.

I merely pointed out the fact that there is apparently no "real" analysis here that anyone taking the opposing stance is even willing to look at and really challenge. All we seem to be getting is nebulous statements about "they do so contribute." No facts or figures documented on the pro-illegal immigration side to compare and no attempts to even go there using a few simple scenarios and logical extrapolation.

Why are you addressing this in reply to my post?

[edit on 7/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join