It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For all those with siginificnt others, that dont understand.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I know there are many of us, if not most, who have significant others who "don't understand". For years I have needed a true outlet to explain my thoughts with other people. Thoughts that I have felt were not only important, but could in-fact change or influence the apathetic mind-set of our population as a whole. When I try to discuss these topics with my significant other, she immediately shuts down. So this is my primary outlet. I work 70 hours a week, I seriously need an intelligent outlet. For me ATS is a cure for the soul. My significant other thinks that half the s$$t I talk about is BS, and the other half is just the basic consipracies in my mind. I know that many of you are going through this, and I wanted to know if any long term veterans have come up with a solution that works. Or if you have made a choice. How many of you have lost a person in your life for what you believe? I thank you in advance for your stories.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   
in my experience it's not worth it. if the person you are with cannot even let you start without shutting you down, they're not worth your time or thoughts or effort.

this is how you feel, and no, you are not crazy. you shouldn't have to feel isolated and alone while in a relationship.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

Thank you, have you ever had a long term relationship, where this is the primary issue?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'm in your exact position.

How do i get by? Realize everything, no matter how much truth, is based upon belief.

At the end of the day, truly do not believe anything. Its beliefs that set us apart.

I'm 17, she 18, we love each other more than anything, and its the love, not our similarities, that bring us together.

If anything, I would want her to stay away from conspiracies and focus on growing.

Once you have truly lost all beliefs, you will enter a state of weirdness blissful happiness.

Watch the movie revolver, it was a movie that put me on a journey that led to the truth. The truth is always with you, you first must get rid of something within you to see it. And that would be your beliefs.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Interesting you bring this up. I just finished posting in another thread very similar to this. I recently broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years for this very reason. I'd have these long, informative talks with her, and as soon as i'm done, she goes right back into the world of makeup, hair, cute clothes, and TV. Then i'm the A*hole when I point that out. I got to the point I just couldn't take it anymore. I need someone who not just listens, but acts, and joins me in the research and reading of meaningful subjects, not reality TV and clothes. Everything went in one ear and out the other with this girl. Nothing I talked about had any real meaning to her, and I became bitter around her. Finally, I had to end it because I began to feel alone and bitter, and it did hurt because I genuinely loved her for who she was deep down. But ultimately, I would've gone insane if I would have stayed with her.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
it wasn't the primary issue, but it was important to me. and i'm not just talking about conspiracy theories, i mean like politics and world events in general. you can only avoid talking about it for so long really, these things matter.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Admittedly I am 35 and she is 23. I always assumed that the generation behind me would be more open minded to the subjects of the day. She is in fact, extemely intelligent and well worthy of a long term debate. The problem being, if it has not been studied or explained by the MSM it doesn't exist. I don't know if this is a defence mechanism, or if she is seriously brainwashed. Maybe im the one that is wrong and just dillusional, but I'm not about to bet on it.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigami

Thank you. My girlfriend is not near as shallow, but tends to stick to Main Stream information so much, that anything I comment on is crap. The question being, How do you feel now? Do you feel like you can finally breathe, or do you feel lonely?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Dang I feel sorry for those women. And just how many days straight in a row have you went on and on about the same subjects? After 2 or 3 days of listening to conspiracies, problems with the government, I have to tune it out for awhile or it just brings you down cause there is nothing that can be done about it. Maybe you should set boundaries and only discuss it one day a week with your significant other.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

You're right, these things do matter. Not to be sexist, but do you think this is primarilly male/ female issue? I honestly wonder how many females are on this site. Do you think the majority of us are male? and if so, why do you think this is the case?

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You people that break up with your significant others for the reason of them disagreeing with your opinions on the NWO, TPTB or any other conspiracy theory, really disgust me

My girlfriend doesnt agree with half the stuff I say, or think, conspiracy or other topic, and I dont agree with some of her opinions, but we work great. Just because someone doesnt agree with your opinion, or doesnt want to hear it does not make them a horrible match as a partner.

ATS is a place that you can freely vent or put forward your ideas and thoughts, with like minded people. Have you ever thought of anyone elses opinions on such subjects? Maybe they are not interested, hence, thats why ATS is here.

Really, anyone that dumps there partner for the above reason, is selfish IMO, and should really take a step back and look at themselves. When you start using a persons opinion on conspiracy theories as a point for pursuing a relationship, then i think you have some major issues.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Its a double edged sword. I definitely feel like I can breathe now. To have the freedom to dedicate my time to things that matter, speak to people who feel the same as I do, is like pure gold. But I do feel lonely at times. After 3 years of spending day and night with someone, its not easily forgotten. We do still sporadically talk, and she does want to get back together. It is a temptation, I cant lie about that, but she still needs time to grow up and change her views. I just cant be with someone where we have two completely different views on subjects that are most important. It will just fall apart all over again.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
i need a significant other before i can join this conversation.

any takers?

because i would like to join this conversation

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
LOL, with my significant other (23 years) I would get the nod, and then as I would be talking I could see that distant far off look when the mind begins to go off in thought.

It literally would tick me off and I would blow up making me seem more like a raving lunatic.

I relented and relented and now I have a partially activated partner. I have to admit this partner was sucked into that dreadful WarCraft game and when I threatened departure or else the game has been on hold for about two weeks, in that time there have been some awesome purchases made in regards to survival and making it through what ever comes our way.

Previous to this I had started a good pantry, stocked up by six months worth on all ends.

Now that WarCraft is parked there is a 30/30 in the house with plenty of ammo, an emergency crank-charged radio, a professional medkit, lanterns, camping gear, and Nutrition tabs to last two people for several months. I also got my cooking gear that can be used indoors in case we are locked away for a bit.

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to have broken through. I even have my front windows to the house blocked by panels of mild steel layered between insulation. I got two steel doors as well but broke my wrist so I haven't really been too motivated in hanging them. My front doors (I have two front doors) are solid wood but the steel doors were under $100 for the pair at a Salvage yard.

I still want a ton more stuff, I actually want a Teepee or a Yurt but the expense would be too great for these poor folks. Maybe I will find one on my journey when that time comes. Find meaning abandoned for whatever reason I am not about to go turn thief over all of this. Maybe the 30/30 will take down enough elk to make a Teepee.

The distraction of people is what has to be overcome; once they can get off the addictive drives then the truth settles in nicely and with coherency.

WarCraft is an evil game! It sucks the life out of people by taking away all their free time and ability to think. My opinion of course!

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Who said this is only about conspiracy theories?!?!? You have a serious lack of logic. Either that, or you have never remained with a partner long enough to understand how CERTAIN differences in views can split them up.

But solely conspiracy theories? Come on guy..you must not have understood the thread...

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Enigami]

[edit on 2-7-2010 by Enigami]

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver
[I'm sorry, you're right. We should plan to only talk once a week about significant world events that could in fact effect our lives as of tommorow. I will do my darndest to set it up that way. That way when a nuclear bomb goes off in a local city on a Wednesday, I can tell my girlfriend, "no let's just sit here in the dark, we're not allowed to discuss this till next Tuesday." I'm sorry if that just dripped with sarcasm, but why are you on this site? Are you not interested in what is happening in the here and now, and how it could effect you? Should we just stay quiet about the truly intelligent posts which we read on this site, that will not only effect us but our loved ones as well? You're right. Too much stress. Instead we should practice remembering the theme songs on TV commercials and sing them back to eachother for entertainment. Ignore the world. Ignorance is bliss. I for one want to survive, I want my family and friends to survive, and even if I become a periah am willing to pay attention, attempt to spread what I have learned, and to deny ignorance.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Great thread. Here is the other side of it... I am female, and my boyfriend doesn't buy most of the things I think are going on. Over the past few years though, world events have made him think about things differently. He very occasionally checks ATS or other boards "just entertainment".. he says... but sometimes he will mention something in passing that makes it clear he is looking at things differently.

That said, one of the things I adore about him is that he keeps me grounded and gets my mind off of things that worry me. Whatever he chooses to believe, and whatever I choose to believe are okay with each of us. We are individuals who love each other for who we are.

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

You are may hero, that is the best reply I have read this month! Star for you

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

You are may hero, that is the best reply I have read this month! Star for you

posted on Jul, 2 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Enigami

Well why even mention conspiracy theories? Why post it here on ATS? If its got nothing to do with conspiracy theories then it belongs in the relationship forum on BTS, not ATS

And Ive been in two major realationships, one for 4 years, and the current one I have been in for 4 and half, and Im engaged to the girl.

Also FYI, I didnt even address the post at the OP...it was at someone else

[edit on 2/7/2010 by OzWeatherman]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join