It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your thoughts on the death penalty?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I am opposed to the death penalty for a few different reasons.

Killing is wrong and two wrongs don't make a right. (Although 3 lefts do make a right.
)

My main reason is one I have not heard argued by another, but it has earned me a few odd stares on occasion. I believe in reincarnation. If someone has murdered someone else I think he should be locked up. It seems to be almost cheating to give him/her a get out of jail free card, be it via lethal injection, a nice jolt of electricity, bullets, rope or whatever way the state finds humane. A decade or two later our murderer could be roaming the countryside, still with the shadow inside that gives the urge to kill.

Just lock him up for now, it isn't a perfect solution, but I am unaware of a better one at the moment.

Overcrowded jails and non-violent drug offenders is a subject for another thread.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by brilab45

I am against general population of prisoners. I think each person gets a tiny closet and outside of supervised hard labor, solo 30-60 minutes out of their cell for exercise.

$1 Million? Where is this? Bullets or rope. None of this injection or costly electricity or complex gas.

If the sentence is life without parole, I don't see the need to waist the money. Which is why I feel a life sentence should be 40-50 years.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky01

Yea, gotta give the murderers the right to live.

Murderers are the last people who should be given the right to live, their victims didn't get that right.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf321
reply to post by brilab45

$1 Million? Where is this? Bullets or rope. None of this injection or costly electricity or complex gas.

The money is not in housing an inmate, it is in the appeals process. It can take years and many attorneys to put an inmate to death. The taxpayers pay that debt. It's much cheaper to house an inmate for life.

It's not my system. I'm with you on instant justice for cost purposes. However, there have been soo many cases where the criminal was actually innocent.

I understand where you are coming from.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Prison is Torture.

Prison is torture,(except those country club ones for the elite).
Torture is unamerican.

Seriously violent offenders should be euthanized.
Non violent ones should be rehabilitated and given free drugs.
Drugs,gambling,prostitution should be legal.

Anyone who steals more than 5 million dollars should be executed.
Crooked politicians should get the same.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by intrepid

Just how do we pick and chose which ones are ok for the DP and what ones aren't ? How would such a regulation governing the use of the DP be written and who would it be left to to interpret ?

Or would we hold a referendum for each case ?

No but when people videotape themselves doing gruesome things it's pretty obvious that they are guilty as hell.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Death penalty you ask.... hmmmm. Well, the short answer would be for those seemingly psychotic individuals that partake in murder, rape and other heinous "one on one" acts, I'd say life in prison. Prisons seem to "take care" of their own. Now on the other hand, for these @ssclown politicians, bankers, brokers, lawyers, chartered accountants, etc. I think fully proven fraud/malfeasance affecting 1000's or more should be met with capital punishment.

Then again, I think we already have the proof with pretty much most of our career politicians, maybe the trials should begin now. After watching the G20 video, ya gotta know it's time. Those videos looked like it was some other country run by a petty Marxist despot. Oh wait, Canada is run by a petty Marxist despot, ooops.

My reasons for capital punishment are quite simple, take the new HST fiasco in Ontario; it has the potential to financially wipe out around 10% of the population of Canada as it spreads like TB, maybe more. If that happens, some dimwad in Ottawa has therefore destroyed the lives of about 3,500,000 people. A broker giving nefarious advice can destroy the lives of thousands of people while he shorts against the company he is promoting. Lawyers and accountants are simply bottom feeders and need to be removed, but they too through trust accounts and financial manipulation can destroy whole families and steal identities (happened to a friend of mine, wiped them out). But at the top of the list we have international bankers, the puppet masters, who destroy whole countries through war, fake disease, usury and attrition.

During the French Revolution they had an interesting method of separating the offending "cancerous" organ from the body, maybe it should be brought back, it might keep these career politicians, bankers, etc. honest if they knew they had something to lose.

It's time to forgive all debts worldwide and bankrupt the Rothschilds, their spawn and associates. Viva la revolution! I'll watch for signs on lamp posts ;-)

Cheers - Dave

[edit on 6/30.2010 by bobs_uruncle]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I'm against State sanctioned killing. The State gets it wrong too often,
as evidenced by the many DNA exonerations.

However, if I witnessed someone doing something terrible
like raping or murdering an innocent...I would kill them.

So I'm not against a death penalty, I am against a terminal
punishment if there is ANY doubt...ANY...not beyond a shadow of...
ANY.

To put a person to death should require absolute and direct
irrefutable proof.

You may argue that no such thing exists in the real world...
If so, no death penalty

www.deathpenaltyinfo.org...

[edit on 30-6-2010 by rival]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

I'm against State sanctioned killing.

Such as government-funded abortions?

I am not against abortion, but I am against political involvement in social issues; even courts will not address a "political question."

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I am FOR the death penalty for Pedophiles and Murder-Rapists, Serial Killer types. That being said...

Some people believe a long life spent behind prison bars is more punishment than the administration of 'gentle euthanasia'...

I say send 'em straight to hell - no lengthily appeals - these walking excuses for humans can't start burning soon enough...

EDIT TO ADD:

Like the poster above stated:

To put a person to death should require absolute and direct
irrefutable proof.

peace

[edit on 30-6-2010 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
A study was done proving that cyclists wearing helmets were more likely to be hit by a car than cyclists not wearing helmets. Drivers just thought "oh, he's wearing a helmet" and paid less attention to the cyclist.

It's a mistake to pay less attention to the problems in society because "oh, there's a death penalty".

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Well this could easily be taken out of context, so I will attempt to keep it in context. There are those, such as Human Cannibals,Child Rapists,Serial Rapists,Serial Killers,etc. who clearly should be terminated without remorse.
I know,I Know, there are arguments to suggest mental challenges
, and therefore not responsible, insanity cases and clauses. Bull. Take into consideration the Victims who are now dead who can no longer defend themselves in a court of law nor testify to the brutal crimes ,pain, or
unspeakable torture that they have suffered. Next is that Godforsaken,
possibility that the accused is innocent, and the system failed them.
Bull, you are guilty as charged,judged by your peers, and scheduled for
immediate termination. Times of war, kill the enemy or threat to your way
of life without hesitation. No Problem. Why should it be any different to
guilty as charged trial by peers in a court of law? Consider Texas Chainsaw
Massacre was real. Terminate Them Immediately. This is the context format.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Are you serious...this would absolutely devastate the political and
banking system. There would be hardly anyone left to run our country
or our financial institutions.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Judohawk

Everybody has the right to live...every single human being. The murderer is unable to recognize the right to live of his victim, but then are we to ignore this right to live and kill the murderer...and if the murderer is so angry, jealous, etc, as to kill somebody, it is usually doubtful that their own will to live is high at all, and to kill them would be doing them a favor...a better punishment would then be life in prison, but what will that accomplish...

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival

Originally posted by RRokkyy

Are you serious...this would absolutely devastate the political and
banking system. There would be hardly anyone left to run our country
or our financial institutions.

Some folks really do need the death penalty. As well its good.... when 100s of protesters show up.....good for the local economy....staying at hotels and eating at local restaurants. Its just win/win all the way around.

posted on Jul, 1 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   
It used to be easier for me to be anti-death penalty. But the older I've grown and the more I've seen I find myself accepting that there are truly evil, soul-less individuals out there, and I know it would be hypocritical to keep that charade up.

In my world? If you harm children - you die. Preferably in a horrible, horrible way. Drug offenders should not go to jail, this solves nothing. With murderers and rapists I think that the family of the victim(s) should get to decide their fate. As for the rest - jail.

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i think the death penalty should be abolished, not for the "pain of the prisoner" but because in effect its useless unless you perceve there being an afterlife like hell or something, me being an athiest and like many other criminals who dont take to a religion being executed wouldnt do anything to really upset them as we see time and time again,

in my opinion execution is outdated now that we are beginning to see the science behind death, i think rather than execution the murderer, rapist or whatever should be forced into a solid steel box and left to rot with nothing but a tube kereping him alive, in that kind of condition he could be kept alive for over 40 years in a small box with no light! now that would be torture and they would be wishing for death, and for added pain they should be forced for years on end to watch videos pictures ect of the one they killed so by the end of there relese they would be emotionally connnected to the person they have killed forcing them to basically break down and beg for forgiveness and hopefully be rehabilitated and realise how much pain they have caused

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
I don't trust the state (any state) with mundane issues like privacy and basic human rights stuff.

Why would I support their right to kill citizens?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
having 2 friends that were brutally murdered, it's a hard call.
one friend(female) was at work, and was murdered, via close range shotgun, by a former co-worker who admitted to killing her....because the person he intended to murder who actually fired him, had called off of work...yet murdered my friend(who actually went to bat for the guy to keep his job) because he had to return the shotgun that night, so he had to kill someone!

due to his incredibly, incredibly twisted logic, my best friend(her cousin) his mom, myself and my (murdered)friends mother had to explain to her then 9yr old daughter, why her mother hadn't came home from work, and she'd never see her mom again.

later in court, witness testimony of the killers friend, revealed that he bragged "of giving her a mohawk" laughing of the incident and that he pulled from his jacket the sawed off shotgun he put to her head as she walked toward her office. she had no idea that she'd be dead before her 27th b-day, which was in 5 hours.

i had to identify her, in the morgue, as my lifelong friend/family couldnt go past the doors......they revealed the CS photos during sentencing and he smiled. he got life in prison.

murder=death
have no regret for those actions=death(x2, if it was possible)

that 9yr old girl never got to even say bye to her mom. closed casket.

I tell you honestly, the worst pain i've ever heard, and never wanted to hear again in my life, is the pain of a mother whose just lost her child....irregardless of age.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by ahmonrarh]

[edit on 7-7-2010 by ahmonrarh]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Death is the easy way out.

It is far worse punishment to be locked away in a cell and never see the light of day again, however that isn't even the case for a "life" sentence anymore. Murderers get TV's, VCR's, running water, time to converse with other scumbags and then a warm bed to sleep in at night. They should be locked alone in a cold, damp, dark 5x5 cell with enough room to stand up straight for the rest of their life. THAT is punishment, death, especially a quick execution is a much easier way out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join