It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Florida officers die after traffic-stop shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

A woman sought for questioning in the deaths of two Tampa, Florida, police officers was taken into custody Tuesday, and detectives recovered a vehicle they were looking for in the case, authorities said.

Officer Jeffrey Kocab was pronounced dead at a Tampa hospital after the incident about 2:15 a.m. ET Tuesday. Officer David Curtis was pronounced dead later, although police said he would remain on life support for a few hours, as his family had chosen to harvest his organs. Both officers were 31, according to the department.

Curtis had pulled over a vehicle and found its male passenger had an outstanding warrant for "minor violations," Tampa Police Chief Jane Castor told reporters Tuesday. Kocab responded to back Curtis up, and "as they put their hands on the suspect, the suspect spun around, pulled a firearm and shot both police officers," she said.

Curtis pulled the car over because it had no license plate, authorities said in a statement. "Officer Curtis determined the passenger was wanted on a worthless check warrant" out of Jacksonville, Florida, the statement said. He called for backup and Kocab arrived. Both officers approached the vehicle on the passenger side.

CNN

And people wonder why police officers use tazers and lethal force.

This is a tragedy, two young men dead, because of some scum bags.

edit on by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yeah just saw this on the news, bit disturbing, one of the officers wife is 9 months pregnant I believe, or 6, and the other officer is a father of 4 children.

Every time an officer pulls a car over, there's no telling for the officer if it's a life or death situation, and it must be regarded as one every time.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Similar thing happened recently here where I live.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

ATS thread in regards to it.

Jerry Kane, an "anti government" person was shot with his son after they had a shootout with police in which 2 officers died.

I wonder if he was an ATS reader.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I know whats coming to this thread.

I agree there are some dirty cops out there, but to lump all of them together or to even say "most" or " a lot " of cops are bad, to me is just wrong.

I think even the cops that turn out to be "bad" probably go into the job with good intentions.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
And scenarios such as this is the reason why police officers approach othes with caution and a bit of an attitude. I wonder if they will come up with new regulations and laws due to this tragic event.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Worthless scum needs to be hunted down and given the death penalty or locked for life with no chance of parole. My heart goes out to the families, relatives and friends of the officers.

P.S. And I don't care if the person is mentally disturbed. If he is responsible for a death, he deserves the full penalty regardless of what caused him to do it.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

No doubt that the vast majority of officers are good folks, and no doubt that every day of their job could end terribly bad. Still, way more Convenience Store clerks lose their lives in the line of duty on a daily basis, and they aren't armed with bullet-proof vests and weapons of their own. They aren't caught bullying people and making up rules as they go, and they make far less than most police officers, yet they show up to work every day and do their best!

This story is tragic, as are all stories of lives cut short, but lets not martyr every cop out there for doing a job voluntarily, that pays decent, and gives them every possible way to defend themselves, while the rest of us just do our jobs for a little bit of pay and give up all rights to defend ourselves while we do it!

It is also sad, in my opinion, that two armed men with bullet proof vests in a fairly large city could not defend themselves against a bad check writer? Not a super spy or master criminal, just some guy that didn't want to go to jail. I am certain that they had better training than that. They should have been staggered away from one another, they should have had him following orders from a safe distance, and as soon as he hesitated to comply, they should have had their weapons drawn. Tragic story, but easily preventable with better hiring, better training, and better cops.

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

It is also sad, in my opinion, that two armed men with bullet proof vests in a fairly large city could not defend themselves against a bad check writer? Not a super spy or master criminal, just some guy that didn't want to go to jail. I am certain that they had better training than that. They should have been staggered away from one another, they should have had him following orders from a safe distance, and as soon as he hesitated to comply, they should have had their weapons drawn. Tragic story, but easily preventable with better hiring, better training, and better cops.

If they had done this, half of ATS would have been up in arms about overkill for this "bad cheque writer".

Sometimes the police let thier guard down for a second because they feel it's the right thing to do at the time and for the nature of the stop.

Can't win really.

CX.

CX

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I know whats coming to this thread.

I agree there are some dirty cops out there, but to lump all of them together or to even say "most" or " a lot " of cops are bad, to me is just wrong.

I think even the cops that turn out to be "bad" probably go into the job with good intentions.

Totaly agree.

To be honest, i'd have thought that if you started off as crooked as some cops are, the police force would be the last job you'd go for.

I've been tempted for years now to start a thread that highlights the positive news about the police, but i fear it would be hijacked by the police haters here or stuck in the basement that is BTS where no-one can see it...i mean there's no conspiracy in a good cop story is there?

CX.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

True.

My buddy moved from San Francisco to Tallahassee in 2001. The first time he got pulled over here, he called me because he was excited. They didn't make him get out of the car, they didn't search him, they didn't even write him a ticket. He couldn't believe it.

As a teenager in Cali. He was white, but most of his friends were black. He had a nice Mustang, and he was from the USSR, spoke 4 languages, and had a little bit of an attitude (his Dad was high-ranking in USSR). SO, every traffic stop, white kid, nice car, bad neighborhood = out of the car, face down on the ground, cuffs, search car, ticket, and lecture!

He was so happy to meet the Tallahassee cops that he didn't even know what to say!

Just saying, there is probably a decent middle ground somewhere, but you are absolutely correct that a momentary lapse in concentration or judgement can be a violent death or a career-ending lawsuit. Cops make very hard split-second decisions regularly, and thankfully, most of the time they choose correctly.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
What I don't get why did they approach at the passenger side they should've gone to the driver's side door. Doesn't make much sense unless I missed something. Whatever the case rest in peace officers.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Beach Bum

I believe that they approach from the passenger side when there's a lot of traffic. To keep themselves off the road as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by Beach Bum

I believe that they approach from the passenger side when there's a lot of traffic. To keep themselves off the road as much as possible.

I think that is correct as well, but when making an arrest, first they call for another car. Then the officers assume a formation with one in the lead and the other in "cover" position. The order the suspect out of the car, hands on his head. Then the forward officer approaches and pats down the suspect and cuffs him. Only one officer should be in harm's way, and he should be able to see the suspects hands before he gets into harm's way. The other officer should be at an angle and a distance to cover the forward officer and any other passengers in the vehicle.

This was a sad mistake on the part of the officers.

There was a story last year where officers near me decided to serve a domestic violence warrant on a guy at the gun range? They got shot of course, and a car chase, and a major shootout ensued. That guy must have been some kind of super spy, because even after flipping his truck, he was able to shoot some officers! There is a thread here on ATS with the details. Very interesting story, but very poor decision making on police side.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

I don't understand arresting her or the shooter. I really hope they resist and the police dept saves us taxpayers the expense of a trial, as well as the trauma for the families of the victims. I'm sure at any moment their parents will be on t.v. talking about what a good boy their baby is........enough is enough, call a spade a spade and admit he's a scumbag with no reason to live. Tragic, it really is.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Sad as hell. Both model officers and citizens. The rotten cops are usually the ones that get attention until the good ones die. Unfortunately this thing is happening here in Tampa more and more often. Id like to see both Tampa and Hillsborough County Sheriff step up crackdowns as a response. 90% of crimes trickle down from drug use and im sure this is probably connected in some way.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Actually, I did go to far. I was upset and do not know what I was thinking. I do not wish death to honest and good officers. I was being stupid and selfish. I apologize to all and especially the OP.

It was childish of me to say that, and did not think my words through.

[edit on 30-6-2010 by TheChemist187]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheChemist187
Good, I am actually glad they died. I hope more of them do die horrible deaths. Things find a way of getting even from what they do to the people. HAHA, lets see more of them die. Just like the 2 stupid CHP that died in southern cali.

Really? Go find a couple and tell them so! Maybe you will get lucky and find some of my buddies that do this for a living in Cali. FBI / CHP types...Usually plain clothes, well dressed, mundane cars, but very authorized to use lethal force. If you're lucky, you won't have to spend any time in jail.

I assume your post will be shortly removed, the OP is a moderator for God's sake, but while it is still here, let me just say that wishing for the death of anybody is horrible, and wishing for the death of somebody out just doing their job is even more horrible, and wishing for the death of somebody just out doing their job protecting you is the most horrible I can think of?

I hope you get your wish, and you get to face some of these guys in a situation where they have to make a split second decision with YOUR life on the line. I wonder how you will feel about them then?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheChemist187

First page not finished and the “I am glad” crowd arrives.

You do realize these are human beings right? Seeing such a response about people who are not doing anything wrong is not only a bit upsetting but quite unnerving as well. To think that one has such little compassion for human life shows a great deal about said person.

I hope your family is doing well. I also hope that your family does not see and never knows of the heartlessness that is coming from you. I will hope beyond hope that you have a redeemable ounce or humanity within you and one day will realize how foolish you have just made yourself to sound.

For those wondering about why the police are going to the passenger side, it seems to be something started a few years back. They go either from the passenger side or right up against the drivers side. Normally I believe it has to do with maintain better control through better observation. I would say though that somehow something failed in this case. The officers in question let their guard down on a “routine” traffic stop, when there is no such thing.

Raist

[edit on 6/29/10 by Raist]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I like how cops taser disagreeable grandmothers, but just "place their hands" on people with warrants out for their arrest.

They might want to rethink their training program for apprehending suspects.

There is no reason why 1 cop couldn't have had his weapon drawn while the other cop frisked the suspect. I guess sexism didn't exactly help these cops, why else did they treat her like an innocent little girl instead of the lethal weapon she really was?

[edit on 29-6-2010 by harrytuttle]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TheChemist187

I hope someday soon you need an Officer.
Do you also wish death upon all store clerks?
These 2 above all other things were human beings with families that are now devastated.
Shame on you for wishing death upon any living thing, yet alone someone you don’t even know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join