It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iphone 1 ,2 next gen this upgrade that , what's one to do ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Ok folks , what's one to do ? It seems as soon as one turns around that latest gismo you just bought . not even a year ago is now on its way to obsolete .

Speaking for myself ; I bought an iphone 2 years ago and before the year was up apple was coming out with there new iphone , which I simply had to buy .

Well surprise surprise they have done it again , not even a year sense there last release apple is releasing another new and shinny iphone for our playing / talking enjoyment , this time around I wont be upgrading my iphone any time soon .

But wait , apple has released yet another new toy for us all , and what a toy it is , the ipad !

I can see just how cool it would be to have an ipad but I , knowing how often apple releases version 2 and 3 and so on .... can't justify running out anytime soon to buy one of these new gismos . I , based on my experience with the iphone , will wait .

Seeing how these things are upgraded so very often how can one justify buying something that they know will be replaced in less than a year ?

Is this simple product evolution , or does it have more to do with a company that selectively picks and choses the bells and whistles it includes in its products so that they can release a newer version every 12 months ?

How do some of you feel about buying something for a fair amount of money just to have it replaced in less then a years time ? Does this make you a little reluctant when it comes to buying something like an iphone or ipad ? Every get the feeling to simply wait for the next version to come out , seeing just how often that is ?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Quit buying Apple. Get off of their forced upgrade treadmil. You do not NEED a new phone.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Get over your vanity and stop keeping up with the joneses.

Sorry, but there are many actual problems in the world/with people to focus on other than IF you should purchase the newest Apple product. Not to mention, that DUH, of course they are going to come out with something new next year, or 2 years at the latest, that is what they do.

If I wanted an Ipad, or had a need for an Ipad yes I probably would purchase IF if fulfilled a need. I however do not have such a need.

I feel that I can get far more for my money by purchasing pretty much any other device. Not to mention if you have an iphone, you have no need for an ipad.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Please don't get me wrong or label me based on this topic , it would be unfair and incorrect .

I actually posted this thread because I was wondering just how people feel about companies such as apple that seem to practice this style of business and how a perspective consumer would use there money / vote on the products released by such companies .

When one is inclined to purchases an item does the companies support of that product matter ? Would you buy something if you new that the company would release the newer version in less then a years time ?

Myself , I chose to purchase a dell notebook for my portable needs which in just about all regards beats the ipad hands down , and costs less as well .

The way I see it the ipad will be on version 7 or 8 before it can do all that the notebook can do right now .

[edit on 29-6-2010 by Max_TO]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Yeah I agree with you about the way technology constantly improves and things become obsolete so quickly.

That is why I am kind of just waiting till 2020 when things will be worth my money.

That will allow me to save up till then as well.

In 2020 things will be WAY better. Can't wait!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I own an iPad. In fact, I'm using as I speak. I can understand how there is simply too much technology, it's overwhelming.
But the iPad is like a laptop/iPod touch.. So I can do more than an touch but less than a laptop.

I love it!

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
It's unfair to make this an Apple issue, this happens with many companies and it's just part of life. I'd love for the most powerful supercomputer to be made and then I'd never have to buy another one...but we all know that's not how it works.

As for the iPhone. I had the 1st gen on launch day, then I got the 3G, passed on the 3GS, and now I have the iPhone 4. I DON'T have an iPad because I don't need or desire it. You have to have self control as a consumer. My mother in law has the first gen iPhone and is very happy with it, but now she's getting a hand me down 3G as a gift.

My point is, most companies do this. I bought a Sony blu ray player two years ago when it was the hottest one on the market...and now it's a dinosaur and discontinued. Did I go out and buy a new one? No, mine still works and serves it's purpose well.

How about TVs? Same thing. I have a Samsung 120hz that cost $2,000 when they first came out and now a better TV can be had for $900. Did I buy another one? Nope, mine is still doing what it needs to do for me.

So basically, don't blame Apple for this problem. If you can't help but buy the latest gadget, blame the man in the mirror.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by searching4truth

Please don't get me wrong or label me based on this topic , it would be unfair and incorrect .

I actually posted this thread because I was wondering just how people feel about companies such as apple that seem to practice this style of business and how a perspective consumer would use there money / vote on the products released by such companies .

When one is inclined to purchases an item does the companies support of that product matter ? Would you buy something if you new that the company would release the newer version in less then a years time ?

Myself , I chose to purchase a dell notebook for my portable needs which in just about all regards beats the ipad hands down , and costs less as well .

The way I see it the ipad will be on version 7 or 8 before it can do all that the notebook can do right now .

Well, I suppose my answer is essentially the same, if you have an actual need for a product or if that product will in some way make your life easier, I may purchase it. I however do not purchase anything just because it is the lastest and greatest.

If I had a need for the product when I purchased it, I probably wouldn't upgrade for the sake of upgrade unless the new version eliminated a different product that I need or have.

I'm not ripping you for your gadgets, I have an Iphone granted it is the first version and it was a gift, but I have one. It functions well for my work, meaning it makes phone calls, I can check emails, get directions, and it did eliminate a previous device (Ipod or similar device), it is a fun little gadget to have, but I have no desire to buy the latest thing that Apple pushes out.

One of my siblings works for apple, and even she doesn't "get it" as for what purpose the Ipad actually serves, other than create revenue. If you have an Iphone there is no reason whatsoever to purchase it. The only actually potential market for the device, other than those that just have to have new thing, are people that do not have an Iphone and spend alot of time on a train. Other than that, it's pretty useless.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I really cannot understand why people buy any apple product when its only benchmark is design. The options in the market will provide whatever you need with better efficiency, reliability, connectivity and by half the price you would pay for Steve's latest geek tale.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I bought the iphone 3G when it came out, I bought it for £400 and sold it for over that amount 1 month later, I love my Mac Book Pro and have been buying that model for years.

However, after playing with the iphone, polishing it, hacking it, and using it 0.01% of the time, I got bored of it.

I realized the only product that fit my needs was the mac book pro, and I also came to realize that in a few months there would be a newer model iphone out on the market, Most buyers would need to sell the iphone 3G to get the newer model and it'd have to be in tip top shape due to hoards of Apple fans who spit polish everything and get upset by the tiniest scratch. (not all, but a hell of a lot do this)

I went with the G1 just recently and love it, the google phone has so much of what I need and a pull out qwerty keyboard for my long fingers and yes it's 2 years old but it does what I want it to do!

Apple isn't all it's cracked up to be, and to be honest, it's the name and "fashion fad" that interests buyers most of the time, not the OS (which I have to say is the best part of Apple)

I've been buying Apple laptops since 2002 and much prefer that Apple go back to their quiet days when Microsoft ruled the market.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Look, that's what companies do. They produce stuff. Sometimes new stuff.

I don't think it's questionable business to bring out newer models a year later. The whole computer industry pretty much runs on this idea.

It's up to the consumer to evaluate their needs, separate them from wants, and not fall for marketing which tells you that you just need the latest and greatest.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mailboxuser2009

You are right on so many counts . This is partly why I started this thread , why would one buy any product from a company that pumps out the newer version in less then a years time ?

I give apple a lot of credit with some of its designs but they seem to be more focused on sales through product replacement by newly released versions rather then a soled product that can last a couple of years before coming out with the new release .

I would think that companies that practice this style of product development and strategic release of bells and whistles just so they can sell a newer version in less then a years time will face a growing number of people that decide to do some good old fashion fence sitting , or may just op out and buy a competing product .

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

When one is inclined to purchases an item does the companies support of that product matter ?

It most certainly does! Support is important. I have a vague recollection (don't ask me where) that companies are required to support their products for a certain time from the last manufacture date.

Would you buy something if you new that the company would release the newer version in less then a years time ?

It really depends on what it is. People buy computers and computer parts all the time knowing they are going to be superseded within a year.

But if you wait for next years release, then you may as well wait for the next version after that. But then they will have some awesome technology which will be in the version after that, should wait for that one.

Somewhere you just have to buy one and accept that people will have a better one than you in a years time

[edit on 29/6/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I guess the marketing guys at Apple are well aware they have more than just ordinary consumers. They have a sort of a cult followers that have a deep need to ride the latest wave. So they basically feed them with new goods every eight or ten months in order to keep the wheel turning.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
But this is an Apple issue.
Other software and computer hardware vendors offer support for older product MUCH longer than Apple. Apple wants to Force you to update your equipment, much faster than is nescessary. They are far and away the worst Mfr for this.

Planned obsolesence of goods like a VCR or TV are a little different.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by XigXag
But this is an Apple issue.
Other software and computer hardware vendors offer support for older product MUCH longer than Apple. Apple wants to Force you to update your equipment, much faster than is nescessary. They are far and away the worst Mfr for this.

Planned obsolesence of goods like a VCR or TV are a little different.

If support is the issue, then I have no argument. The only experience I have with apple is I vaguely remember using an old apple-mac computer - with monitor and floppy disc drive in one unit - back in 6th grade.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
d00d dont go apple.

Get a HTC desire, and since the new android operating system "Frodo" is out, upgrade it from android 2.1 to android 2.2

IT does flash, is REALLY fast, great phone.... 8 mp camera...etc.

then as more operating systems get released just upgrade the operating system.... not the phone.

8 megapixel camera. check.
great touch screen. check (and its a big screen)
Apps. check.
Upgradable OS. Check.
Web browser, mail, FLASH, check.

I mean seriously what are you going to do with the phone apart from call someone, txt them, and take pictures, play games and music...

It'll last you a good while epecially with upgradable OS.

150,000 droid phones are being sold every day.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by XigXag

Agreed

I also think that there is a huge difference between product evolution and a controlled and timed release of product development to give the appearance of evolution all to sell you something in less than a years time .

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I also think that there is a huge difference between product evolution and a controlled and timed release of product development to give the appearance of evolution all to see you something in less than a years time .

I agree that manufacturers do this. It is probably pretty wide-spread.

From a business standpoint though, it's probably good practice. There's no use giving a product everything you have, selling millions of them and then not doing anything for 10 years. The only thing stopping them doing this is [lack of] competition.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

I think the 10 year number is a bit over stated as no one would expect that . Its not hard to see when a company is willfully holding back on certain releases so that they can repackage an item in a years time to sell us the newer version .

Having said that I do see and understand your point and would agree with much but I do believe that there is a point in which we are willfully allowing ourselves to be duped , assuming we keep forking over our money .

top topics

<<   2 >>

join