It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois inmate bleeds to death as guards ignore him, offer no medication at all for weeks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Illinois inmate bleeds to death as guards ignore him, offer no medication at all for weeks

rawstory.com

For days before he died from internal bleeding in a federal prison, Adam Montoya pleaded with guards to be taken to a doctor, pressing a panic button in his cell over and over to summon help that never came.

An autopsy concluded that the 36-year-old inmate suffered from no fewer than three serious illnesses — cancer, hepatitis and HIV. The cancer ultimately killed him, causing his spleen to burst. Montoya bled to death internally.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be831a19a2f6.jpg[/atsimg]

This is absolutely unacceptable! This guy was only in prison for passing counterfeit checks, yet they forced him to suffer a horrible death, even though he was pleading for help. This is exactly what's wrong with our system. We are treated like animals at the hands of authorities who act as if this is a police state with authoritarian rule.

Apparently, this guy was in excruciating pain for days or weeks with nothing more than over-the-counter pain meds and he was refused medical help. The prison guards responsible are the worst type of criminals and justice needs to be served.

The guards who ignored this man's pleas for mercy should be charged with capital murder... all of them and hopefully put to death. A move like that should send a strong message that we are all human and just become someone was imprisoned by the system, does not make them any less of a human (depending on the crime, lol).

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28/6/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
That is really sad and disgusting. Reminds me of the lady that died on the ER and no one even noticed her laying there dead.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ugh, what is it lately with stories like this?

Fact of the matter is that we've been conditioned to consider anyone with a record, especially felons, as scum of the earth. It's wrong, and I see it too much. A lot of my friends are salt of the earth people who have records. There's not a group on this earth I'd rather have with me if TSHTF.

I blame this stigma for the unsustainable number of people who are repeat offenders. They get out into the world and are shunned, denied work, and in a lot of cases have no where to turn but to other felons/ex-felons. No wonder they go back to their old ways.

On a similar note, I've also seen social groups become more clique in the past 15 years. Nothing breeds hate like not being exposed to outside beliefs and experiences. It was fueled largely imo by the fear mongering "terrorist at every corner" stance the nation took after 9-11.

If there is any hope for changing occurrences like this, we need to get back to embracing our fellow Americans regardless of their past and give everyone the benefit of a doubt. Deem people decent until they prove otherwise again.

I hope my points get across about how this all relates to this story as it's late for me and the thoughts are a bit scattered atm.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
We at least his family should get some money for his suffering, prison are like this though you have to die to get any attion.
They don't care if you say I have pain, you have to bleed all over the place.
Then like the Nazi's they will stesl all the gold out of your mouth.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well he was in prison and i don't believe that it was just because of some counterfeit cheques
Do we know the history of that guy? what he did else? reminds me of the "guy got life because he shoplifted" story that got here yesterday amd after you read it you knew that he did a lot of other bad things and deserved it, could be the same with that guy....
(just saying, if i'm wrong, i'm wrong but i doubt that you go to jail and get treated like that just for such a small crime)

Besides...he would've never survived. Cancer, Aids...it'll kill you sooner or later and most cancer patients suffer a lot of pain. I read the story about Ronnie James Dio and how much he suffered in the last days in Classic Rock magazine, he "only" had cancer, that guy had a lot of other diseases, in the end i think he is better off that way.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If he was in pain they should have given
him pain meds. Maybe he should have died
in the prison infirmary. Outside of that I
could care less about his condition.

I also really like how someone can cry about
the "tragic" death of a convict but yet call
for the death of the guards.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
Well he was in prison and i don't believe that it was just because of some counterfeit cheques
Do we know the history of that guy? what he did else? reminds me of the "guy got life because he shoplifted" story that got here yesterday amd after you read it you knew that he did a lot of other bad things and deserved it, could be the same with that guy....
(just saying, if i'm wrong, i'm wrong but i doubt that you go to jail and get treated like that just for such a small crime)

Besides...he would've never survived. Cancer, Aids...it'll kill you sooner or later and most cancer patients suffer a lot of pain. I read the story about Ronnie James Dio and how much he suffered in the last days in Classic Rock magazine, he "only" had cancer, that guy had a lot of other diseases, in the end i think he is better off that way.

Once I got past my utter disgust after reading your post, I have this to say to you:

If you believe that a human being should be allowed to suffer and die simply because he was convicted of a NON violent crime, then you have no soul.

You know NOTHING about the cae except what is reported, and yet you ASSUME with NO proof nonsense...who says he did anything but some financial crimes? Who said he ' deserved' to be tortured and allowed to die? Have you never heard of people being released after decades on death row because DNA proved them innocent? you no doubt would have said those people' deserved ' to die a horrible death too, would'nt you?

When I read posts like yours all I can do is shake my head and wonder how anyone could be so callous, so empty of human kindness, so brazenly supportive of the scum Feds that allowed this man to die a bad death.

I guess all I can hope for is that YOU will be arrested for some reason and thrown into a dungeon, and then get sick and plead for your life...maybe, just maybe then you would see how horrific and sickening your words really are...I guess some people have no empathy, no connection to others, and can only comprehend others suffering if you experience it yourself.

I guarantee you that if you were in this guys shoes, guilty or innocent, you would sing a different tune. Your attitude makes me want to go drink a big slug of pepto bismol and let my stomach quit turning.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Man is but an insect! The horror of our waking existence! The system breeds crime which ferments death!

We must build a new way so as to provide for everyone, according to his or her needs, they have not worked thus far because they have been fear based. The money masters fear the unknown and in doing so only wish to secure mass capital so as to secure their and their sons and daughters place in history and the future, but in doing so, they casually throw millions to the wind!

Disgusting, and, almost catalyzing!

link   
this reminds me of my friend, he got beat up and was so disoriented and disheveled that when the cops got there to "help" they took HIM to the drunk tank and left him there until he puked and passed out to the point of near death.
he was in the Intensive Care for TWO weeks in a coma. then he stayed a few more after he finally, miraculously, came to.

i'm sure those cops won't be held responsible, but you'd think that people trained to handle emergencies would know basic first aid and maybe have some common sense that this "drunk guy" has a head that looks like a kicked around pumpkin!

to protect and serve, eh?

link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

People have been sent to prison for far lesser charges. In fact, it is so easy to get sent to prison here in the States that it's crazy. The United States has the largest prison population by far, far exceeding everyone else, even admitted police states. The US has less than 5 percent of the total world's population, yet we have almost 25 percent of the world's prisoners. According to the International Center for Prison Studies at King's College London, we have 2.3 million prisoners as of 2007 (most likely even more now). China, which is four times as populated, has only 1.6 million prisoners. Over 1 in 100 adults in America, is incarcerated.

The sad fact of the matter is that Prison is a lucrative industry in America and we make sure to allow that industry to prosper. We are a commodity in a police state, hell bent on locking us up.

Even still, lets just say that the guy did do something else, though there is nothing to lead us to believe so, he still didn't deserve to die a horrible death. He wasn't given the death penalty. Here in America, people are supposed to be civilized, therefore following the code of law. Once we ignore that, we are ignoring any kind of moral fiber that separates us from animals.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
When we become imprisoned we essentially become wards of the state and our safety should be first priority for every correctional facility.

Instead, the safety of the prison staff is enshrined in policy while many inmates are abused, scandalized or even murdered...no surprise this is my home state of Illinois.

This guy was probably ignored because he had AIDS. If the same happened in Gitmo heads would roll.

If this was my brother or son...I would OWN that prison.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by richierich

Get ready for this thread to be flooded with hateful "he got what he deserved" sentiments. I fought it for 2 days in that other thread and it's left me very disturbed. As if there weren't enough problems going on at the moment, I'm awakened to the fact that a large group of people, possibly a majority, believe people convicted of non violent crimes deserve whatever they get. God help us all, the self righteous are ready to throw the first stone. Compassion is dead.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by capgrup
If he was in pain they should have given
him pain meds. Maybe he should have died
in the prison infirmary. Outside of that I
could care less about his condition.

I also really like how someone can cry about
the "tragic" death of a convict but yet call
for the death of the guards.

There is a huge difference. One following the law of the land and the other not. I don't advocate lynching the guards, rather trying them in a court of law and dishing out justice for the obvious murder under aggravated circumstances. Not only was it their responsibility to not deprive this man of his life as a prison guard, but also as a human being. This mad not only suffered, but he also dies due to the negligence of these guards. They are the scum of the Earth IMO.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Judges send people, even children to prison, because they get paid for that, since people and children are then used as slaves... This is a fact. It was all over the newspapers, but it suddenly disappeared.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by DangerDeath]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Either the guy had a history of malingering or the guards were murderers... simple.

My uncle.. he is my age and we were raised like brother and sister... was in a head on wreck. When the cops came he was arrested for driving drunk. Funny thing though, he doesnt drink, wasnt drinking and had a severe head injury and brain swelling. He was taken to jail and left there until he started having seizures and bleeding from his nose and ears. He was rushed to the hospital and was in serious shape. Over the next few weeks he had amnesia and was near death. After being released 5 weeks later he has never been the same. His neurologist says he would have been in much better shape if he would have had immediate medical attention.

And no... he has never been compensated for this and the court case is STILL going on. He wont be compensated I believe. The police have much better attorneys than we do. The cop still says he smelled of alcohol even though he tested 0.0 on his BAL.

This kind of thing happens more than you think.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Approximately 82% of federal prisoners are housed in federally managed and operated prisons. Is Pekin one of the 'contractor' prisons that have been making so much money lately?

I know there are only 1,300 or so prisoners there, and it is a medium security facility; but can someone verify for me that it is actually owned and operated by the state, or by some private corporation. I cant's seem to discern that from the website....

www.bop.gov... ....

and the Adminssion and Orientation Handbook (PDF) doesn't seem to be a federally published document, so I am unsure.

My point in asking is to be able to anticipate what will happen... if it is a private for-profit prison, no repercussions will occur, if it is federal there MAY be some repercussions for allowing this person to go without appropriate medical care until he died 18-days after his arrival.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Maxmars]

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Airspoon;

Yes you did say you wanted them charged
with capital murder, but in the same sentence
you also said you HOPED they would be put
to death.

I know that sometimes my emotions get me
in trouble if I do not take the time to slow down.
You should hear me talk when I get that way!
Anyway, if that's the case no problem and sorry
for the confusion.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I believe that the Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) in Pekin, Illinois is federally owned and operated by the BOP.
www.bop.gov...

Even still, contracts to the prisons are worth big bucks and the employment helps politicians look good.

--airspoon

[edit on 28-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Yea the judge that sent 1000's of kids to jail even when it didn't warrant it, for money.

To grossly alter someones life like that without warrant seems almost SOP. They really don't care. There are far more selfish people than good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join