It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm A Mac... And I Have Dirty Little Secret

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

If that was addressed at me, I was just saying there is another way, no need to get ALL CAPS LOCK ON MY ASS

You've used every Windows and Mac release for the past decade???

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Why is a personal boycott @$$ backwards? and who the hell needs a blackberry????anything beyond need becomes greed,,i just try to keep my desires in check
I dont feel guilty about the society i live in,,,i could care less,,,im referring to my own shortcomings.

I tend to like the stuff you post, but this time your wrong.seriously dude,,,if not you, than who,,,,do you understand?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
While everyone would certainly prefer to use computers made without any conflict resources, it's not like we are all about to give up all we have - and even if we did, it wouldn't change much.

We are already a step ahead because we use our computers to connect with other thoughtful human beings. We scour the news to uncover lies and injustices just like this one. The best thing we can do is to keep doing what we're doing.

I also found a cool site called kiva.org where you could make microloans to small entrepreneurs around the world. While rape and death are inexcusable, you could still provide a little opportunity for people out in those conflict zones.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
well now we have afghanistan's minerals , so maybe we won't need these african's product anymore

[edit on 28-6-2010 by SouthernSON]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Not buying these things will not help anything, they have slavery in africa and that is the problem. Not buying their goods will not change that, black on black crime is the problem here.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
I have used every Windows and Mac release for the past decade. I have also tried Linux. My own experience has shown that Linux is without a doubt the WORST operating system for the average user. We've heard all the Linux people shouting how great it is a million times. Here's a message to these people. WE DON'T CARE. If we liked Linux WE WOULD USE IT. Using Linux isn't go to stop us from using electronics with tantalum (etc) either.

Most people who turn away from linux with that attitude are not savvy enough with computers to understand the beauty of the OS. Your poor experience with linux was likely to be a problem we call PEBKAC. The truth is Linux/Unix is superior to Windows(mac is unix based.) in every way, it just requires a bit more understanding than a simple start menu junkie has.

Alas, buying products from China helps fuel their economy which helps raise millions out of deadly subsistence farming.

That's wrong too. If the Chinese stopped exporting and changed their economy to produce goods for the Chinese people, they would be able to use the resources on themselves, not on the west. When America had a strong economy it was producing stuff for itself, and exporting a bit. When we turned into a consumerist nation based off of service, we began an economic decline that we will never recover from.

Go live in the land of the free - Africa - then, and see how much you enjoy it.

Ironically I have friends that are migrating to Africa, buying cheap land, cheap automatic weapons, and farming/ranching, they love it.

How predictable. I suggest you try again with an argument that hasn't been used over 9000 times on this website.

Why? It's a strong argument, its hard to argue against it.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Indeed sir.

One person can't right the wrongs in the world, several thousand can't, etc. Everytime something like this is posted, you can't do anything about it.

Baloney. There have been plenty of well known and successful political activism moments that have been more or less started by a few people inside their living rooms. Get enough support and then you push for legislation that prohibits conflict materials. Or create a stamp or certification that guarantees products are conflict mineral free (similar to efficiency standards like 80 PLUS). If there was a such a thing then I would definitely only buy products with this assurance. It's great most people in the world don't have your opinion because if they did then we would still be in the stone age.

Ok, show me one example of a real cases where a few guys accomplished anything good politically as just a few individuals? Ron Paul? In fact, it seems to be the opposite where it takes a giant mob of gun toting rednecks or flag burning hippies to get anything to happen. This country is run by corporations that dont give a flying bird (is the word) about the lives of a few Mudkips over in Africa, in fact, this is good for their business.

If people had the mindset of the guy you just bashed, we would not be living in the stone0age, we would be living in a more civilized age. If technology is going to mean that we must kill each other over each others rocks, then screw it, id rather cook over a campfire.

[edit on 28/6/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
It is stories like these that further my belief that perhaps there is no god. Well no god as described in the bible, caring, wise, thoughtful. Because if there was an he let this madness go on in this world like what we hear and witness day in and out then he must be one messed up dude to sit by and watch this cruel treatment of human beings.

This is exactly why people tend to blame god for everything.... I mean what the heck is wrong with you people saying that this is proof or not of god.... Why would the creator let you decide by yourself what to do, and prevent everything from hapenning... that makes a lot of sense.... And shows you how much you are a responsible person for even thinking this...

And what about the rest of us... what are our excuses to let this travesty go on? When is it actually ok to pitch in and change something? Has anyone have the guts to do it ? seems to me like thats no one.... (including myself I guess And I will not say otherwise)

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by consigliere

anything beyond need becomes greed,,i

Live in subsistence farming then. And get off the computer.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by consigliere

Why is a personal boycott @$$ backwards?

Because even if you flush your iPad (if you had one) down the toilet, I really don't think it will stop the warfare in Congo.

and who the hell needs a blackberry????

I, for example. It's a great tool to read my e-mail when I'm away from computer, it has built-in GPS that works great and helped find my way on many occasions.

anything beyond need becomes greed,,i just try to keep my desires in check

I posit that defining "need" is really tricky business. I, for one, do not live a life of luxury, however there is a very decent graphics card in my PC. Am I being greedy?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Thanks for this reminder. Lve the way they're getting this message out.

It's valuable focus for us all. An old friend of mine I've lost touch with left IBM over 10 years ago after 15 years for this very reason. The way it came about for her was through her studies as a Jehovah's Witness and the way she put it at the time was something like, "they participate in the annihilation of people and I cannot in good conscience support or profit from this through any of my actions."

She convinced me too. I don't want the money of companies who support the war machine, and they're not getting mine.. Every time I've taken a job or project since, I consider this. It's very helpful to have a list.

I think it matters...the little actions we take. It may not seem like a big thing to do or like it matters, but if enough people did it...they would find that ways do exist to boycott the "machine" of modern day computers.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

People like you make me happy....

Do not admit defeat, people. Humans are endlessly intelligent, ways can be found.

They told us we could not live well without our cars, not true.

Breaking free from the processed food trap seemed impossible when starting the process, didn't it?

Painful decisions about "ethical" or at least "less unethical" work or companies also seemed like a death sentence for me, at least a couple of times, lol. Yet here I am today.

Here we all are. So, ideas:

Blow up the computer repair industry, which, after all, seems mostly composed of individuals like ourselves, rather than corporations.

It's much cheaper to repair sometimes, as we all know. Recycling is a better choice, morally, also.

Of course they will update and upgrade, but there is a very healthy market for second-hand computers and goods out there. Pawn shops are full of stuff since so many are so broke.

My son and I both bought our wireless laptops used, for less than half the retail price of the cheapest laptops we could find, retail. I never pay retail, lol.

They both work flawlessly and we have no complaints but lots of gratitude for these great deals. Is it compromise? Only with other individuals. The best kind, unregulated as of yet, and still a free trade zone, more or less.

Until we are legally prevented from doing so, or forced to purchase retail, why not refuse to go quietly into that good night of retail darkness and "sweet dreams" instead?

That's more like us anyway, isn't it!

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Wow.
I had no idea.
Here I thought I was doing good, lol.
I subscribe to living the 'less is more' lifestyle.
Sold my car and live where I can walk to the store or I don't go (for the most part).
I don't wear gold or silver (anymore).
No TV.
I don't eat meat I didn't raise and butcher myself and 90% in total of the fruit and veggies I do eat, I raise myself - with no pesticides, etc...
I drink only water and water with real fruit juice mixed in, no sugar...
Ok you got the idea, I wont bore you with more details...

Point being - What did I 'keep' in my life I thought was harmless?

My computer.

Ugh. Ya just can't win can you...

peace

[edit on 28-6-2010 by silo13]

Can't feel to bad, there is no way of actually knowing where the metals come from. Manufactures as big as Dell, Mac, etc, use metals from literally all over the world. Your computer could have absolutely no conflict metal, or it could have metals from numerous conflicts.

Also, imo, taking a metal like Gold or Tungsten from a warzone is no different than the mass produced garbage from China and other Asian countries. If you ever look indebth at some of those factories from your favorite clothing stores, electronics, or toys you buy your children, you will see horrible, disgusting conditions. And if you follow workers back to their house or shack I should say, they have the same quality of life as a refugee in the Congo. Perhaps without the rape. All so we in the West and look good and have the comforts in life that we expect.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
Apple is no better than Microsoft they just want your money more

[edit on 27-6-2010 by pavelivanov22]

Actually, they want your money exactly as eagerly as Microsoft does. Which has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

It's sick the way that our society rides on the backs of the impoverished and underprivileged in other nations. Something needs to be done about this. Grassrootsish campaigns like this can only do so much, though, and I can't really boycott my computer.

Absolutely!! Stop wasting all of your precious life energy, pursueing "the latest"- you CANNOT win THAT corporate game!
As for "conflict minerals"- I doubt if 10 people on ATS, HAVE EVER BEEN TO AFRICA! I've worked in Ivory Coast, running a GOLD MINNING operation, for several years. AFRICA, is NOT like THE WEST. I have never imagined, a more brutal, violent place, where HUMAN LIFE, has NO worth.
A bunch of boycotting hippes, will CHANGE NOTHING! For EVERY ONE of them, there are HUNDREDS of mindless robots, who work every day, to just "get by", so they can have a housefull of cool gadgets.
The enemy of humanity has ALREADY won, because most people can't even see the war.
So, so sad.
How many of you buy Starbux coffee, every day?? Do YOU even have a months supply of food, at home?

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
the whole conflict materials issue is mostly a BS political platform. Think about it, by buying product from the USA you help fund the war in the middle east, if you buy from china you help fund children workers and the exile of his holiness, you buy from france you are just robbing yourself because it will not work, if you buy from canada then you help fund the safe keeping of pedophiles . No matter where you buy from it will help fund a cause you do not support.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Most people who turn away from linux with that attitude are not savvy enough with computers to understand the beauty of the OS. Your poor experience with linux was likely to be a problem we call PEBKAC. The truth is Linux/Unix is superior to Windows(mac is unix based.) in every way, it just requires a bit more understanding than a simple start menu junkie has.

If it requires better understanding then it is not better in every way thus your original statement was incorrect. If an OS requires too much learning to use sufficiently then it ceases to become my problem and it becomes the OS's problem. I get less performance on most of my applications if I can even get it them to run. I couldn't even get Counter Strike to run properly on Linux.

Same with MAC:
www.anandtech.com...

It seems a trend among Linux fanatics to blame all of the problems with Linux on the users. Oh, and I don't care how good people claim it to be, that isn't what this thread is about and we don't need "LINUX IS GREAT" in every single thread. It tires me.

That's wrong too. If the Chinese stopped exporting and changed their economy to produce goods for the Chinese people, they would be able to use the resources on themselves, not on the west. When America had a strong economy it was producing stuff for itself, and exporting a bit. When we turned into a consumerist nation based off of service, we began an economic decline that we will never recover from.

Most of the Growth in Chinas economy is from state and private investment in industry, but still, one of the main drivers of the Chinese economy IS exports. To say they could sustain the same level of economic development without selling plastic crap to the west is merely wishful thinking. Where would the $1.2 Trillion dollars come from per year come from instead? Also, you mentioned America when it had a strong economy. Let me ask - what would happen during that time if all exports were ceased? This whole isolationist, self sufficiency mindset on this website is starting to remind me of North Korea; and look how well that turned out for them. Therefore I can assure you that buying cheap goods from China most definitely does help them develop, although I completely agree that we shouldn't buy products known to use child labour to be manufactured.

Ironically I have friends that are migrating to Africa, buying cheap land, cheap automatic weapons, and farming/ranching, they love it.

And I have friends coming from Africa after their friends were killed; after they were held hostage; and after their homes and businesses were broken into. Africa is a # hole, it doesn't take a genius to see that. Just because some of your presumably rich friends use it as a playground (because there are practically no laws) doesn't mean it's the majority. Like I said, if it's so good - live there. Freedom, contrary to an earlier poster, does NOT mean anarchy.

Why? It's a strong argument, its hard to argue against it.

Attacking someones avatar then bashing them because they are a war veteran is a strong argument?

Ok, show me one example of a real cases where a few guys accomplished anything good politically as just a few individuals? Ron Paul? In fact, it seems to be the opposite where it takes a giant mob of gun toting rednecks or flag burning hippies to get anything to happen.

Environmentalism. Australian Greens. Often, a small number of individuals started something years back which have grown into extremely large movements.

If people had the mindset of the guy you just bashed, we would not be living in the stone0age, we would be living in a more civilized age. If technology is going to mean that we must kill each other over each others rocks, then screw it, id rather cook over a campfire.

Reading is fundamental.

One person can't right the wrongs in the world, several thousand can't, etc. Everytime something like this is posted, you can't do anything about it.

He is suggesting that it's pointless to try. If you would rather live your life to the above statement then go ahead, just keep out of my country because if everyone had that attitude, we WOULD be in the stone age. My point is that we probably CAN help.

[edit on 28/6/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
Looks like an incredibly weak cliche argument to me. Look at the amount of stars it got.

Points don't mean prizes.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This whole Linux argument seems to be an off topic red herring.

As mentioned you still have to install it on some hardware, and most likely that hardware has the same ethical issues as any other. I love my linux, but it's installed on that Foxconn motherboard based machine I mentioned, so I have not magically solved the worlds problems by using Linux.

I also think the people who want to make this about "Mac" are mostly just trolls, looking to upset the fanboys.

This is an issue that effects most of the electrical items we use, using Linux, or ditching a Mac will not solve this.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
people will still not drop the linux thing. i think it need repearing

Linux is not a solution and suggesting that it is is probably one of the dumbest things i have heard. Say i buy a diamond ring with a conflict diamond in it, now lets say i destroy the ring part of it and use a string instead and wear a conflict diamond around my finger with a string. That is what using linux is. When you buy a computer (or build one) it has lets just say (and this is a made up number) 5 grams of conflict minerals. Now you either install linux or take windows/osx off of it and put linux on it. Your computer still has 5 grams of conflict minerals... And lets face it many "linux" users secretly use windows when nobody is looking. Because by the time linux supports all of the hardware you have in your computer it is obsolete and its off to buy some more conflict minerals. The biggest advance linux has made so far has been wine, which is just a really crappy way of running microsoft crap on your linux machine, so like the mac crowd linux users will jump through hoops to get their computers to run windows applications but ask any of them "if linux is so much better why go through all the trouble of putting windows stuff on it?". It is the same as boasting about how much better your honda is than your friends ford after you removed the honda engine and put a ford one in. The only thing i know of that linux is good for is that is pretty much the best form of birth control around and people who use it have an ability to grow linux beards almost overnight.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

tin, tungsten, tantalum, and gold. Many of these same conflict minerals end up in our own electronic devices such as cell phones, laptops, and digital cameras.

Why are we getting these minerals from third world countries.

We have more then enough in the US still unmined.
plus we have people that need work. i have worked both gold and tungsten mining and there are billions of dollars still in the ground in the US.

This only happened because the tree huggers don't like mining and have used the courts to shut down mining and in the long run manufacturing in the US.

This has caused jobs to go to countries where there is no law.

The treehuggers have accomplished nothing but making pollution and blood minerals a problem in the third world.

The short sighted treehuggers have made problems that will be imposable to stop outside the US just because they did not want mining in the US.

They just exported the future of the US to the third world countries where it will do 1000s of times the damage it would have in the US.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
Wow.
I had no idea.
Here I thought I was doing good, lol.
I subscribe to living the 'less is more' lifestyle.
Sold my car and live where I can walk to the store or I don't go (for the most part).
I don't wear gold or silver (anymore).
No TV.
I don't eat meat I didn't raise and butcher myself and 90% in total of the fruit and veggies I do eat, I raise myself - with no pesticides, etc...
I drink only water and water with real fruit juice mixed in, no sugar...
Ok you got the idea, I wont bore you with more details...

Point being - What did I 'keep' in my life I thought was harmless?

My computer.

Ugh. Ya just can't win can you...

peace

[edit on 28-6-2010 by silo13]

Sell the PC and go buy some gold or silver.

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
What is this 'conflict minerals' crap?

What a total load of rubbish - it is purely social engineering - the purpose? Pick one, create guilt, distraction, social conflict, confusion ..

The greatest conflict 'mineral' is oil - every time you use plastic, rubber, energy - you are using a conflict mineral.

Get over it - there are better ways.

[edit on 28-6-2010 by Amagnon]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join