It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin was mentally ill

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I'm sorry.. were you not aware that english is the language of ats? Says so in the T & C.

Could you reply in english please?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by hippomchippo

Why would you believe it blindly?

I don't follow anything blindly, and you assumed i don't believe in evolution, I never said anything about that one way or the other, but I consider all the possibilities.

Fact of the matter is, I said it was all a great mystery.

the interpretation of believe can be to have an opinion.

Theory,

a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
Mathematics . a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
contemplation or speculation.
guess or conjecture.

lookie here, contemplation, I believe I mentioned that word a few pages back.

I never assumed anything about what you believed, I said I BELIVED that because we have evidence that evolution caused millions of organisms to evolve, I'll trust that over the heresay of people thousands of years ago that we now think could possibly be aliens, maybe it was the belief blindly, as thats used frequently here, but I meant it in how you would have to believe blindly that they were talking to aliens and not muttering to themselves.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
And slight racism due to slang?
Nice one, nice.

How is paying respect to Jah racism? You have to explain that one to me.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Most people who are mentally "ill" are extremely intelligent. I think there is a direct connection between high intelligence and "madness."

[edit on 26-6-2010 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I realize its fashionable to think so. This thread proposes an alternative viewpoint: That nice/normal/ordinary people are not actually the sheeple but the smart ones.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Thought I would pick up on your reference to bi-polar disorder. This used to labeled as manic depression and you are correct that a great many notable people suffer from this affliction. However, it is wrong to assert that manic episodes lead to great ideas. When the mood poles of the brain flip, many unintentionally manipulative behavior traits occur. Yes, there are different types of bi-polar condition and many are construed with boarder-line personality disorder. As a result of this, misdiagnosis often occurs.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Oh those poor believers of Evolution. They lash out at spiritualists and religious-believers

YOU BOJO! Most people who believe in evolution ARE RELIGIOUS.. most christians for example believe in evolution.

And for a moderator of ATS to make threads purely to spread a message that "those who believe in the facts and theorys presented by mentally challenged people should have their own sanity checked" is just awful.

If i could vote for a removal of your mod staus id vote twice.

Mi nah diss di generality, only di man darwin. Jah rule.

Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Shintoism, Christianity, Islam, Native American Spirituality and countless other sources who ALL teach of an invisible life force or an intelligent and creative energy as the source of all. Lets instead take a mentally ill persons word for it

... Well this nonence pluss all the ridiculing you do is enough for me to add you to the foe list.. just tasteless. I think many here would expect better manners from a moderator.

how anyone could possibly come up with the idea of human intelligence having arisen from a chain of coincidences based in matter. What a bizzare notion. Could any sane person assert that as a fact? So for me, just recently learning that Darwin had severe issues, was a relief.

Most people who believe this are probably NOT insane, thank you.

link   

Originally posted by Naughty B0B
So the reality of evolution is obvious to you, yet you say his theories are "insufficient" because he was mentally ill. You're picking and choosing what you want to believe. Keep basing your beliefs on what makes you feel good. You're lashing out because logic and reason is a threat to you. I can't wait to see more laughable threads from you in the future.

Reality is a bit different: I dont think Creation and Evolution are exclusive of each other. I think the people fighting over which one of the sides is "right" are wasting their time because both are. Evolution is a vehicle of Creation.

link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

It may be easier to accept nothing is right and we have all a lot to learn about our role in the universe. A role that shouldn't be taken for granted and one that is abused by both creationists and evolutionists.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Well, that may very well be true. What is "normal"? I mean, to me, that is sort of a subjective term.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

I am not normal. But then who is?

Normality is perceived in the mind of the beholder.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Oh I am agoraphobic BTW, and Agraphobic, but agoraphobia isn't a mental illness as far as I am concerned, along with panic attacks it is triggered sometimes by a traumatic event, that is when mine started, the fear center and all that jazz.

[edit on 013030p://bSaturday2010 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Most people who are mentally "ill" are extremely intelligent. I think there is a direct connection between high intelligence and "madness."

I think you might get away with using the term "many" - - but not "most".

What is mental illness? What causes mental illness? An allergy can cause symptoms of mental illness.

Some of history's "greats" became mentally ill from - lead - mercury - syphilis - and other elements unknown to cause brain damage.

As far as intelligence and insanity - - I'd say the more we learn about Savants - - the more I'd lean in that direction - - - rather then straight intelligence.

I don't think we will ever know why and to what degree Darwin may have had mental incapacities. Unless someone preserved his brain.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

People who do not believe as you do have psychological issues? Who are you and what have you done with Skyfloating? Please come back. I miss you!

People have a limit, and it does get frustrating to see people harp on this subject day in and day out,

I try to avoid the confrontation,

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

how anyone could possibly come up with the idea of human intelligence having arisen from a chain of coincidences based in matter. What a bizzare notion. Could any sane person assert that as a fact? So for me, just recently learning that Darwin had severe issues, was a relief.

I fail to see how one can't see that human intelligence is a natural product of evolution. Just looking at the structure of the brain one can seen the course evolution took to reach the current human brain. The hindbrain is very clearly the structures found in reptiles. The midbrain has all of the structures of the earliest mammals, and the forebrain can be found in any modern primate just with a larger cerebral cortex, especially in the prefrontal cortex.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I like how my post in this thread was completely ignored.

Charles Darwin having mental illness does not discredit his work. Why? Because Alfred Russel Wallace developed the exact same ideas, during the exact same time period. The reason Alfred Russel Wallace didn't gain the recognition that Darwin did is because his boat caught on fire and sank, killing and destroying all of the specimens he had collected. He also didn't have an entire book to publish, only a comparatively short paper. And on top of that, he didn't have the connections or the financial funding that Darwin had to publish his work.

Don't forget that Science is peer reviewed. If Darwin's ideas didn't hold water, no one would have cared to support them.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join