It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin was mentally ill

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phlynx

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by Daniem
You have successfully offended those who believe in evolution.

Oh those poor believers of Evolution. They lash out at spiritualists and religious-believers 24/7 on the Internet, so they should be able to take a little bit of backlash once in awhile.

So this thread is pretty much about you being all hurt do to the few evolutionists who do lash out at the religious? So you, as a Mod, make a giant bait thread for the evolutionists to come to, swarming like sharks to blood?

So this is just a giant rant because you are all hurt that people discuss there opinions on the internet, and use science?

Wow.

I 100% agree with this. Seems like the quality of mods on ATS is dropping

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Dont put words into my mouth. I will rephrase them according to what I am really saying.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If I understand correctly, the OP presents a deductive fallacy:
1. Mentally ill people come to outlandish and untrue conclusions.

There is a difference in intellectual output between mentally ill and healthy people.

2. Darwin was mentally ill, therefore his scientific conclusions were outlandish and untrue.

Since I have many times read that I am mentally ill because I believe in an Intelligent Design of the Universe I would like to remind you of the fact that Darwin was not exactly the sanest of people.

3. Therefore there IS a God and atheism and materialism are factually incorrect.

The OP made no mention of God.

edit on by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There's a guy who has some mental issues but has discovered a source of free energy for all and an end to world hunger and so on..... But the guy is crazy or at least has some issues... I mean nobody has mental issues but this guy does....... so I don't think we should take his advice and I think we should overlook his breakthrough and achievements, I mean he's crazy, anything he says or does can't be right can it?

The line between genius and crazy is often, if not always blurred.

The OP is ridiculous and is actually kind of offensive to anyone suffering from mental health issues.

There was another mental guy too.... He talked to his invisible father and claimed his invisible father created every known thing in the known and unknown universe.... and that he received messages in his head from his invisible father.

And millions of people today still believe what this guy apparently said.... even though there is no documented evidence of the guy, no first or even second hand accounts of the guy even existing.

Hmmmm........

[edit on 26/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Oops! Sorry.

[edit on 6/26/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Evolution does not mean that there is no higher power.

Maybe evolution is simply the means of how life manifests itself? But the idea of "god" creating man out of clay is simply absurd and primitive. You don't really believe the biblical creation story?

Incredible.

Simplifying the existence and the origins of the universe into some 7-day theory is simply beyond belief. The bible is full of allegories and it's not meant to be taken literally.

[edit on 26/6/2010 by Tryptych]

link   

There is a difference in intellectual output between mentally ill and healthy people.

Which is? Please provide evidence as well.

I still would honestly like to know if you think someone who suffers from bouts of depression has less credible posts than "sane" people such as yourself.

link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Since I have many times read that I am mentally ill because I believe in an Intelligent Design of the Universe I would like to remind you of the fact that Darwin was not exactly the sanest of people.

I understood what you were aiming at, sky, and spiritual people do get a bad rap on this forum.

Even an atheist who ponders the beauty of a sunset, is having a spiritual experience, I would hope that passion for beauty and love for another is also a spiritual experience.

OH BTW, someone explain sanity to me.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

So you, as a Mod, make a giant bait thread for the evolutionists to come to, swarming like sharks to blood?

I REALLY wish people would ignore the fact that SkyFloating is a mod. That really has nothing to do with anything.

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Seems like the quality of mods on ATS is dropping

That's just BS. Mods are people and have opinions. Mods aren't perfect. Don't hold them to higher standards than you hold other people, for they are people FIRST, with opinions, fears, insecurities and vulnerabilities. If a non-mod member would have started this thread, what would your criticism be?

[edit on 6/26/2010 by Benevolent Heretic]

Mods should not be posting bait threads, and nor should normal users.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Not all mental illnesses affect a person's intellectual output. They mostly affect social aspects of a persons life.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
A reminder...

Please focus further responses on the Actual topic of discussion NOT each other's perception of one's character or person.

Thank You

» Origins and Creationism » Charles Darwin was mentally ill

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

I would send someone who is mature enough to handle it to a teacher like that. You can't just say something is wrong due to someone's mental illness.

I was replying to the crowd that says "mental illness is just a label" and "it makes no difference"

The Belief that spiritual health makes no difference is the cause of all suffering.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Political baiting or not?

I call this thread a giant troll attempt.

You didn't have to bite.

I don't agree I think sky had a valid observation, that Darwin if mentally ill, could not have been capable of rational scientific thought,

But I think we are all a little nuts, let it go Phlynx, now your taking it to a whole new level.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Starred and flagged, thanks for pointing this out.

I am amazed how many people are more than ready to defend the "theory" of a mentally ill person yet they themselves proclaim that any spiritually minded person must be sick... Ironic isn't it?...

BTW, why is it that no scientist has EVER been able to "create life out of a blob of aminoacids, and hydrocarbons"? They have tried, but have never succeded.

Another question, atheists love to claim that any spiritually minded person must be crazy for their beliefs, yet atheists for the most part believe in the Big Bang theory in which "matter is created out of nothing". So what gives?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Mental ill health can hit anyone, atheist or religious. However the religious are closer to insanity than those who accept reality without a glossy coating, without a comfort blanket because the atheist relies on evidence and not self delusion.

An atheist can meditate and gain the benefits without thinking of it as a religious experience, hell atheists can be buddhists if they so wish because while Buddhism may be a religion you don't have to believe in a divine being to take part.

The religious may not be mentally ill to a point that it's damaging but to believe in something without any evidence is stupid. If you want to believe then go for it, but please don't interfere with my life. If you can agree to that then great and i'll even happily be friends with you. Believe whatever yo uwish but as soon as you attack science because of your baseless fantasies we have a problem.

As for your idea that just because Darwin might have been unhappy because he lost his faith, well fine ok lets say that is true, how can you apply that to the rest of the atheists out there? That is what you seem to be implying and yet plenty of atheists live happy lives, go about their business without causing trouble or harm to anyone else. Other than defending science when religious nut jobs try and crowbar in biblical myths as explanations for things we already have answers to.

Finally even if Darwin were truly insane it doesn't amtter, his theory has stood the test of time even after people have repeatedly tried to prove it false. All of the data discovered since, including things Darwin couldn't even conceive of have proven him correct.

Hell there are tons of scientists who were correct but nuts. Nikola Tesla being a fine example.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Phlynx

Political baiting or not?

I call this thread a giant troll attempt.

You didn't have to bite.

I realize that now that this thread as exploded.

Yes, we are all a little insane, just some more than others.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join