It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin was mentally ill

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Mod Note.

Let's try this again, shall we?

The thread is not about commentary on members...

It's about:

Charles Darwin was mentally ill.

Just checked... It still is.

Post on Topic, or don't post at all.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Mental ill health can hit anyone, atheist or religious. However the religious are closer to insanity than those who accept reality without a glossy coating, without a comfort blanket because the atheist relies on evidence and not self delusion.

Can you prove that?

What about the many spiritual scientist, and scientist who became spiritual after observing the universe.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Dont put words into my mouth.

I wasn't. I was trying to find out what conclusions you were drawing, etc. I was ASKING for information from you, but not getting a response, so I went on my suppositions, making it clear that I may not be understanding correctly.

There is a difference in intellectual output between mentally ill and healthy people.

On what do you base this? Because I think this has been proven incorrect.

SOME intellectual output from the mentally ill is questionable. SOME is reasonable and intelligent. SOME intellectual output from the mentally healthy is questionable. SOME is reasonable and intelligent.

As BlackOps pointed out Here, many famous and successful people have been said to be mentally ill.

Since I have many times read that I am mentally ill because I believe in an Intelligent Design of the Universe I would like to remind you of the fact that Darwin was not exactly the sanest of people.

Very possible. But does that mean he was incorrect? Is that the conclusion you're drawing? See, I get what your saying, but you seem to be avoiding stating the CONCLUSIONS you're drawing, if any.

If you're simply saying, "People say I'm crazy for believing in a creator, but people also said Darwin was crazy", then I'll agree with you completely.
But there are no conclusions there.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
get real posting this dribble its getting tiresome.

If this user thinks this is going to discredit his theory then you are largely mistaken. You have to be "mad" to be a genious, They did't know much about mental health back then. Science does not work like that, you can't say well Socrates was a pedophile and then denounce his philosophical theories because of that.

Probably a religious person posting this dribble. I'm not even going to find out if it is, because it doesn't matter, be aware of people like this, they will try to sell you snake oil. [snip]

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

kk thnx bye

[edit on 26-6-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 26/6/10 by awake_and_aware]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by Skyfloating

BTW, why is it that no scientist has EVER been able to "create life out of a blob of aminoacids, and hydrocarbons"? They have tried, but have never succeded.

They're working on it and are getting really close

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

SOME intellectual output from the mentally ill is questionable. SOME is reasonable and intelligent. SOME intellectual output from the mentally healthy is questionable. SOME is reasonable and intelligent.

"Some" - is that to say that there is no general difference between the intellectual output of the mentally ill and the mentally sane?

To shortcut our entire Discussion, that would mean that if I send my kids (if I had any) to a mental asylym for years or to school would make little difference.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Yes, we are all a little insane, just some more than others.

Ain't that something?

interestingly, shamans or medicine men were sought out for their quirkiness, for lack of a better word,

The astrologer evolved into the astronomer,

and the high priest/scribe, became the scientist.

In the beginning there was no difference between science and spirit, maybe we have lost something, because I think ancient man had higher knowledge.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

"Some" - is that to say that there is no general difference between the intellectual output of the mentally ill and the mentally sane?

To shortcut our entire Discussion, that would mean that if I send my kids (if I had any) to a mental asylym for years or to school would make little difference.

There's a difference between small bouts or even mild depression and schizophrenia.
I find it despicable that it comes to this, where instead of finding valid points of critique in his work(which does exist because he lived in the late 1800's) he is attacked for being depressed at one point in his life and somehow invalidated due to that.
Hell, he could have been a raving lunatic, but that doesn't negate the evidence he brought for evolution, and his theory of natural selection.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

BTW, why is it that no scientist has EVER been able to "create life out of a blob of aminoacids, and hydrocarbons"? They have tried, but have never succeded.

I love that actually, because it adds to my point, if we can create how do you know something didn't create us?

Totally leaving religious dogma out of this,

Ancient text spoke of what they observed, and imagined a creator, now with this in mind why is it so hard to believe?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Phlynx

Which makes perfect sense. Astrology isn't based on facts, astronomy is. I'm glad modern man has chosen to focus on facts instead of myths and guesswork.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Are you implying that all who teach The Theory Of Evolution suffer from a mental illness?

No, not really. And I also respect science. Im an avid reader of books of all kinds.

But what I am implying is that not being able to feel or perceive the spiritual realm is due to emotional issues.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B

OP, thanks for allowing us to visit your fairy tale world for a moment.

Well I think it has been a very enlightening topic, even if you are just observing human nature.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Phlynx

Yes, we are all a little insane, just some more than others.

Ain't that something?

interestingly, shamans or medicine men were sought out for their quirkiness, for lack of a better word,

and the high priest/scribe, became the scientist.

In the beginning there was no difference between science and spirit, maybe we have lost something, because I think ancient man had higher knowledge.

You forgot Alchemy to Chemistry.

Actually my belief is different then your in this. I believe we became these because we learned what the true meanings of these occurrences are, and that things aren't magic when you don't understand them. Scribes would be excluded in this of course, considering they just wrote things down.

I want to know how the medicine men made the medicine that works without our fancy equations, and without knowing of the chemicals. I want to know how they memorized so much information on what could be used or what couldn't.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

The Belief that spiritual health makes no difference is the cause of all suffering.

Spiritual health often does not make any difference in scientific reasoning of ill person. It can make difference from social or psychological point of view, but science itself is not interested in Darwins psychological health, but in the validity of his theories. These theories were validated by thousands of other scientists, and I dont think they are all out of their minds, are they?

Famous economist and mathematician John Nash suffered of paranoid schizophrenia, and still managed to win a Nobel prize in economics. There is often a thin line between geniality and craziness.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Tryptych

I never said I dont believe in Evolution. The reality of Evolution is obvious to me.

Nor did I say I believe the world was created in 7 days.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I love that actually, because it adds to my point, if we can create how do you know something didn't create us?

Totally leaving religious dogma out of this,

Ancient text spoke of what they observed, and imagined a creator, now with this in mind why is it so hard to believe?

Why would you believe it blindly?
Even taking the leap of faith to assume it's aliens instead of simply a nice story?
Too many assumptions have to be made.
It's entirely possible, and maybe even probable because of religion, but until we have hard evidence, i would stick with evolution, which we know has formed millions of animals on this planet and so, probably us too.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Are you implying that all who teach The Theory Of Evolution suffer from a mental illness?

No, not really. And I also respect science. Im an avid reader of books of all kinds.

But what I am implying is that not being able to feel or perceive the spiritual realm is due to emotional issues.
I believe that some people need religion to help them in life. Some people need that little cushion from what they fear. That is why I respect those who believe in it.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Phlynx

Which makes perfect sense. Astrology isn't based on facts, astronomy is. I'm glad modern man has chosen to focus on facts instead of myths and guesswork.

But they were still the first, and they mapped the stars, and they were spiritual, and seemingly intelligent, and understood the universe in poetic terms, that to this day we embrace.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
But you are incorrectly associating "mentally ill" with "suicidal" when this really is not the case.

For reasons of brevity I am putting mentally ill and emotionally ill into the same box.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join