It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charles Darwin was mentally ill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+27 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
"I am ready to commit suicide"
- Charles Darwin 1875

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/625ecb06d030.jpg[/atsimg]

Because spiritually inclined people like myself are too frequently vilified as mentally ill, stupid, deluded I am happy to retort with this piece on the father of Evolution Theory and one of the fathers of modern materialism ("science") and atheism.

In spiritual culture good works can only come from someone of healthy mind, body and spirit. In atheist culture there is the cliche that good works can also come from people who are psychotic and deranged or that "geniuses are mostly crazy".

Today I was reading a book by Bill Bryson which contained a humorous passage about Charles Darwin, namely that he had become so lethargic, depressed and disspirited that he kept electrocuting himself in the mistaken belief it would heighten his mood.

Pondering this it suddenly struck me how spiritually inept someone has to be to think he can electrocute himself out of depression! What the hell must have he been thinking?

Rejecting psycho-spiritual roots and causes for a purely materialistic view can lead to difficulties in coping with life and emotions. Why? Because civilizations main source of life-advice was, until last century, found in religious works and because a life without meaning and value can become bitterly bleak.

Looking him up in the Internet I learned that, in his own words his time studying Theology were the happiest times of his life and that he nevertheless considered Theology a waste of time. (Source: Nora Barlow: The Autobiography of Charles Darwin)

So there you have all the proof you need: That which made him happy was considered "a waste of time" in his very own words and yet all the "experts" say its a "big mystery" why Darwin was so unhappy and sick most of the time. But its no mystery at all.

From Darwins early life it is known that he found Literature, Languages, Lectures and Art dull and instead preferred Taxidermy, the art of displaying dead animals.

But it gets worse...

For over forty years Darwin suffered intermittently from various combinations of symptoms such as: malaise, vertigo, dizziness, muscle spasms and tremors, vomiting, cramps and colics, bloating and nocturnal intestinal gas, headaches, alterations of vision, severe tiredness, nervous exhaustion, dyspnea, skin problems such as blisters all over the scalp and eczema, crying, anxiety, sensation of impending death and loss of consciousness, fainting, tachycardia, insomnia, tinnitus, and depression.

severely debilitated for long periods of time, incapable of normal life and intellectual production, staying in bed most of the time for months. Charles Darwin wrote, "Constant attacks...makes life an intolerable bother and stops all work."

Darwinian scholar Michael Ruse even concluded that "Darwin himself was an invalid from the age of 30" (2003, p. 1523)

George Pickering, in an extensive study of Darwin's illness, concluded that in his early thirties, Darwin became an "invalid recluse" (1974, p. 34). UCLA School of Medicine Professor Dr. Robert Pasnau (1990, p. 123) noted that Darwin also "remained ill almost continually" for the entire five years that he was on his HMS Beagle trip.

Darwin suffered from several serious and incapacitating psychiatric disorders, including agoraphobia. Agoraphobia is characterized by fear of panic attacks (or actual panic attacks) when not in a psychologically safe environment, such as at home. Darwin, as is common among agoraphobiacs, also developed many additional phobias—being in crowds, being alone, or leaving home unless accompanied by his wife (Kaplan and Sadock, 1990, pp. 958-959).

Agoraphobia is also frequently associated with depersonalization, a malady that Darwin also suffered (Barloon and Noyes, 1997, p. 138). A study of Darwin's mental condition by Barloon and Noyes concluded that Darwin suffered from anxiety disorders that so severely impaired his functioning that it limited his ability to leave his home, even just to meet with colleagues or other friends.

Darwin's behavior also indicates that he suffered from a mental disorder. Although devoted to his wife and daughters, he "treated them as children" even after his daughters were fully grown (Picover, 1998, p. 289)

In this abysmal state the guy tells you about the supposed "origin of species" and that we are the result of a chain of coincidences arising from dead matter.

Nevermind Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Shintoism, Christianity, Islam, Native American Spirituality and countless other sources who ALL teach of an invisible life force or an intelligent and creative energy as the source of all.
Lets instead take a mentally ill persons word for it that humans came about as a matter of coincidence and that a humans Consciousness does not .

+49 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
No thanks, I don't want any of your koolaid. My life is completely without any of that spiritual crap and yet I am mysteriously free of any depression or other mental malady. When I want a little boost of happiness, I go to Hardees. Maybe they bless the burgers?

:lol
idn't think so.....

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Those that the Gods do not like they destroy just ask Steven Hawking.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
No thanks, I don't want any of your koolaid. My life is completely without any of that spiritual crap and yet I am mysteriously free of any depression or other mental malady. When I want a little boost of happiness, I go to Hardees. Maybe they bless the burgers?

idn't think so.....

you should meditate then more the reason, think of what your capable of

+35 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Dare I say that the "mentally ill" are those who never contemplated suicide?

People suck so bad, and our 'system' is so corrupt and injust, you would have to be totally insane to never even CONSIDER knocking yourself off.

There is NOTHING wrong with wanting to LEAVE this wretched planet and the selfish greedy people on it.

But I ask that all justice and freedom loving folks do NOT kill yourselves. I need you to help free Earth from oppression and tyranny.

Overcome your oppression! Do not let them force us into ending it prematurely.

If you want to die, than please devote your "life" to freedom rather than ending that life.

If we ever taste freedom, it will be worth the struggle. You will be glad you did not off yourselves.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by phi1618

Originally posted by warpcrafter

idn't think so.....

you should meditate then more the reason, think of what your capable of

I am capable of exactly as much as I wish to be capable of. Responsibility makes me grouchy, which is why I don't have any employees. Meditation makes me itchy and sleepy, which is a really weird combination if you ask me, and should be avoided at all costs.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Maybe I am misinterpreting. But are you trying to say his theories of evolution are not true, because he was mentally ill?

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yeeeah... that's like saying because the apple had a worm in it, the sky could not possibly be blue.

I'd guess that many of the greatest minds on earth suffer from some kind of disturbances. My advice is forget about origins and destinations... just enjoy the journey.

The concept of evolution doesn't contradict the idea that we are all made of energy or whatever... it simply illustrates how that energy is used.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Because spiritually inclined people like myself are too frequently vilified as mentally ill, stupid, deluded I am happy to retort with this piece on the father of Evolution Theory and one of the fathers of modern materialism ("science") and atheism.

:snip:

Lets instead take a mentally ill persons word for it that humans came about as a matter of coincidence and that a humans Consciousness does not .

Logical fallacy alert!

Ad hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
3. Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

Perhaps in the future you shouldn't stoop to the tactics of your enemies. When you respond to personal attacks by making one of your own, you can make no claims to the superiority of your argument.

[edit on 6/25/10 by mothershipzeta]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddogkull
Maybe I am misinterpreting. But are you trying to say his theories of evolution are not true, because he was mentally ill?

Yah. Id use "Insufficient", not "untrue". I wouldnt study or revere a psychotic, like they do at Universities.

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
The concept of evolution doesn't contradict the idea that we are all made of energy or whatever... it simply illustrates how that energy is used.

True.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix

Stephen Hawking is not destroyed. He still functions quite well.

If the "Gods'" method of destroying is merely crippling someone, they're pathetic. Even more so since man-made science allows him to function, write and speak. So he has not even been silenced, much less "destroyed."

Apparently the "Gods" REALLY didn't like Lou Gerhig, since they DID destroy him with ALS. If anything, the disease wound up making Dr. Hawking world-famous and gave his theories and thoughts even more widespread distribution.

What an epic FAIL by these "Gods."

[edit on 6/25/10 by mothershipzeta]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothershipzeta
Perhaps in the future you shouldn't stoop to the tactics of your enemies.

I dont have enemies. Just chatting. Just Chillin.

When you respond to personal attacks by making one of your own, you can make no claims to the superiority of your argument.

I can have a blast holding a mirror up to those who throw around words such as "mentally ill" to describe spiritual people.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Skyfloating]

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I can have a blast holding a mirror up to those who throw around words such as "mentally ill" to describe spiritual people.

But you have no problem doing it yourself. If you're secure in your faith/spirituality, it shouldn't trouble you to the point that you use the same tactics they do. It's one more piece of ammunition for those who love to find hypocrisy in the religious/spiritual.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Darwin most likely had the same genetic blood disorder as myself. It's called pyroluria, a type of porhpyria. Though a good chunk of the population have this, only few to a severe degree. I can relate to pretty much every symptom he experienced before treating the disease.

Oh, and fyi I was highly spiritual when I was very ill. As I became healthy, my views of the world changed drastically.

And also, everyone I've ever met who claimed to be spiritual was deeply wounded in one way or another, and highly narcissistic. Spiritual people tend to be intelligent. As such, they're really clever at attempting to hide their large need for narcissistic supply.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

No one walks this planet skipping day-to-day with complete contentment nor beaming smiles of sunshine. If they do, then I'd bet there's some mental illness there.

Famous people with mental illness

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I disagree with (as i understand it) your concept. There are perfectly sane emotionally/spiritually ,ehhh, lacking individuals. And there are mentally (and some i assume even gastrointenstinally,eczema, scalp blisters and ctr) troubled individuals who dwell only in spiritual/religious matters.
As for "origin of species" itself - i still fail to see why it should bother any religion in modern age. Nobody questions basic "laws" of physics (well, now) and yet "laws" of biology are challenged? World works without apparent intervention of God, by its laws. So just as no miracle is needed for a rock to fall down due to gravity, no miracle is needed for living thing to survive by constantly adapting to its changing surroundings the best it can.
The fact that we have a theory that can explain variety and evolution of species without any apparent miracles, with accordance to laws of nature, does not interfere in slightest with the fact that there is God.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Some Atheistic or scientific people may be mentally ill, just as some spiritual people may be mentally ill. This does not mean that one group holds ultimate truth, and the other holds nothing but air.
I am what I like to call "Spiritually Agnostic" I know there is a higher power, but I believe man is unable to comprehend it's nature. This, of course, leads me away from organized religion. This does not mean that grains of truth cannot be found in religion, or for that matter, science.
Evolution is a great theory, but it doesn't satisfy me completely, neither does any spiritual explanation.

I know one thing: there has to be some compromise out there. It's just a matter of finding it.

Thanks for a thought provoking twist to the Darwinian dilemma!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by anglodemonicmatrix

I always try to read all of a thread before deciding whether to contribute, but I had to take exception at this.

Are you really trying to say that all handicapped or mentally ill people are as so a result of 'the Gods' vengeance?

If I thought that was true for one minute then I would be glad not follow him / they / her and their beliefs because there can't be a more arrogant and vindictive entity.

To be omnipotent and to stoop to such barbarity and vindictiveness, I could never worship such a thing!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
You guys, Im not denying there are spiritual people, even revered spiritual leaders and teachers who are psychotic. Suicide-Cultists come to mind.

What I am saying is that it doesnt sit well with me that one of the most revered people of modern science in its entirety was...less than sane.

None of you would suggest sending your children to a Psychiatry instead of to school for basic life education.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
the logic of the OP is sad. Mentaly ill doesn't mean you are wrong about something either. Just mentally ill.

Beethoven. mentally ill. suicudal even. you are now making the same anology that since he was mentally ill his music was bad, wrong or evil, or just plain crappy. sorry but that is non sequiter. just cause you are crazy doesn't mean you are wrong. beethoven. mentally ill. also a genius at creating music. there is no corelation between darwin and mental illness in this case.

Also hawkings being punished by god? seems to me his condition helped get him the attention he needed to be able to express his thoughts on how the universe works. curse that happened to hawkings or a gift. It's easier to argue his condition has been a blessing from god not the other way around. Now if steven hwkings was eating a picknick in the woods and sasquatch watching him from the tree line goes "damnit it's steven hawkings nnngggggggggggggggggghaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!" and chrages out of the tree line hurls his wheel chair up into the air and proceeds to pummle the crap out of him, and then afterwards a swrm of bees sting the crap out of him while lightning strikes him over and over than I WOULD SAY THAT THAT MAYBE THAT WAS A SIGN THAT GOD DIN'T LIKE HIM.

Really bad argument OP is making. It could be concidered pathalogical to keep kicking a dead horse too. but thats a whole other wave in a different ocean.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join