It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We just had an earthquake in OTTAWA!!!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think that was the same quake we're going on about down here in Western Massachusetts. If thats the case (and I don't know if anyone else will/has been able to prove it) then the quake went from at least us to you folks in Canada. Thats quite the distance, imo.

I haven't heard anything out of VT, though, and I haven't had the chance to read all the previous posts, so I can't be 100% sure. All I know is that we got hit with a quake and all of our news station's seismology data is being confirmed in Toronto. *shrug* So, when you folks are saying you got hit too, it begs dot connection.

Either way, it is still a rare event out here. A little jolt will wake people up once and a while. Happened 8 years ago, too. Quite a riot. :3

[edit on 23-6-2010 by thebluevalentine]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
www.post-gazette.com...

The earthquake originated in an area called the Ottawa River Valley, where huge plates that make up the continent sometimes slip.

The quake likely was caused by a process called "post-glacial rebound," said Russel Pysklywec, a University of Toronto geologist who said he felt the quake and immediately knew what he was feeling.

"About 10,000 years ago there were glaciers covering us. That ice subsequently melted and the plates are now rebounding upward," Mr. Pysklywec said. "Normally those stresses are relaxed fairly quietly."

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Just thought I'd add mine; I was at a Diversity Training (aack!!) in a building in downtown Buffalo and everyone paused when it came. Even the big screen TV at the head of the meeting room was shaking giving visual evidence--263 miles from the epicenter! Cool. And no one was hurt. That was my first!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I live in the southtowns western NY and I did not know we had a quake till I saw the news on tv.

I did not feel a thing either.

Originally posted by jaynkeel
Live on the Niagara Escarpment right on a fault in western N.Y. . We felt nothing, yet many places around here claim to have felt shaking. I am patiently sitting here waiting for some more action, we got cheated. I have never felt an earthquake before as long as it's little and no damage results I think it would be neat to expirence one.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I live in upstate ny, haven't felt a thing all day.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Apparently, and I could be wrong, there was also an earthquake in Mexico today as well? Do you think it has anything to do with the gulf leak?

I can't help thinking that this is the end of the world as we know it.

:l

Also: completely unrelated but has anyone else checked out the illuminati NWO cards post that someone put up today? scary stuff..

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I have to say, for me in Barrie Ontario, I have never felt an earthquake before. This was a new experience.

4 hours later, about 30 minutes north of Barrie, a tornado ripped up a small town, midland, with extensive damage.

Two very rare events, at least for this area, in one day.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am in the town of Evans and I felt nothing either. I was sitting where i am now.

Originally posted by darkelf
reply to post by chopperdudep

Originally posted by chopperdudep
First off, I've always just lurked here and read the posts without joining or responding, but today I felt this quake and that quickly inspired me to become a little more active.

I live near Buffalo,NY and i felt the quake around 1:45, surprisingly quick, considering other people felt it in NJ up to a half hour later. Just figured I'd add my .02$

Hi neighbor! Could you be a little more specific? I was about a mile west of the airport and I didn't feel anything. You don't have to give your town, just a general direction. Like north or north east of the city.

[edit on 6/23/2010 by darkelf]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I know this a novelty for most people considering the area is one which never sees seismic activity. But it was only a 5 pointer, they happen pretty much every day. Now think about what the Haitians dealt with with a 7 pointer, the Chileans with an 8.8, and for the past 2 - 3 weeks the South Pacific has routinely been experiencing 6+ quakes. As well as south east of India.

Now also consider the scale is logarithmic. Just a bit of perspective.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My wife is on buisness trip in Montreal, I haven't heard from her yet, but I hope she felt it. I lived in SoCal for several years and felt a couple of small ones I don't think the were in the 5.4 range. Its very weird the first time you go through one.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Hey,

Now there's a tornado warnings in Toronto! A little south, but still... toronto felt the earthquake, now they're dealing with tornados!Possible tornado touches down in Midland

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOPrimate

Yes the storms that just ripped through southern Michigan and northern Indiana, Ohio are intense. Currently just missed one in northern Michigan by a few miles..

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I found this video online of this dude working out during the earthquake and you REALLY hear the earthquake go by... just awesome!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yes guys it seems like it was coming from here (Montreal).. it woke me up...
at first i thought i was the one shaking, but as i stood up i could feel and hear the ground shaking it was pretty scary considering, it is an island and i've never felt an earthquake before. therefore, im not surprised as you can all see... there have been earth quakes everywhere on the planet, im just happy it was a 5.5 magnitude. I'll keep it up to date if i hear anything.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
dude WELLAND ONTARIO CANADA 15 mins away from niagara falls we felt it too actually shook my house WTF IS THAT ottawa to niagara@?!?!?!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

I suspect the helicopters are more connected to the g20 than th eearthquake /smirk

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
lemme ask u guys something what happens when i finely tuned machine runs out of oil.... earth.... oil.... everything down there is #ing drying up nobody realizes this

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj

Originally posted by alysha.angel
spotted it a min ago on equake,

i have one question IT IS NORMAL FOR QUAKES THIS SIZE TO HIT THAT AREA?

Absolutly not, just called my friend who has lived there in Qubec her hole life and this is the first she has felt. Freaked her out and nocked out her window AC unit.

Absoluetly Yes.

newsrelease.uwaterloo.ca...

1994-07-28 00:00:00

Researchers warn of earthquake --

Researchers warn Southern Ontario may face earthquakes WATERLOO, Ont.

-- If a controversial theory put forth by a team of researchers studying seismic activity in Lake Ontario proves correct, Southern Ontario is more earthquake- prone than was previously believed.

"It's a fairly highly populated area, so it introduces an element of risk which didn't exist before in the minds of people," says Prof. Richard Thomas, head of the research team and director of the Waterloo Centre for Groundwater Research based at the University of Waterloo. Scans of the bottom of Lake Ontario conducted during searches for downed aircraft revealed three previously undocumented features. Using that data and studies of their own, the research team identified the features as the result of tectonic activity due to a fault line. The three features, known as pop-ups, plumose structures and dark linear patterns, are located in western Lake Ontario. A pop-up is a ridge with a crack at the top, formed when the bedrock fractures because of compressional forces in the crust. A plumose structure is several kilometres long and looks like a feather etched into the lake bottom. The dark linear patterns are believed to be due to natural gas coming up through the rocks into the bottom sediments. Interestingly enough, says Thomas, the features all occur on the same line going through Burlington to Toronto. "In 1987 and 1988, there were two earthquakes recorded right on that line, which were about magnitude 3.5 (on the Richter scale). So there is earthquake evidence to suggest that the interpretation of these features is correct. "This indicates a major fault structure occurring in that part of the lake. . . . What it indicates is that there is a greater likelihood of a significant earthquake taking place than was originally believed." Earthquakes occurring in the Great Lakes region were thought to be in response to crustal rebound caused by the removal of ice from the last ice age. "Now, crustal rebound is taking place, but if you look at the pattern, it's not random," Thomas says. "The pattern would suggest that it's following a quite distinct orientation." Additional work has revealed faulting in the south- eastern part of Lake Ontario. The scientists are coming to believe that Lake Ontario and possibly Lake Erie lie on an extension of the well-known St. Lawrence fault system. The growing realization that fault lines could occur in the middle of a continent has led to a new science called intra-plate tectonics. "These are (earthquake) areas occurring in the middle of plates. The traditional belief was that all activity occurred on (continental) plate margins, where they collide or are in motion. They (mid- continental faults) are basically resulting from the various pressures induced on the plate because they're in motion, and these are lines of weakness which are currently being re- activated."

more at link

[edit on 23-6-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I felt this earthquake in downtown montreal

Here's something interesting though, it only affected structures....
but... the sidewalk is a structure though, so is the road

Everything that I spoke to that felt it were in a building, and everyone outside didn't feel it

I am talking about 100% ratio here, 100% of people outside that I spoke to did not feel it.

How is that possible?

Because a building will sway more in an earthquake than solid ground will.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
Even though the epicenter was in Canada, I wonder if it was connecting with the New Madrid fault line that runs down the Mississippi? It was felt a long way down into the states, it seems.

I, too, being a total layman in this feild, would like more specifics about this "New MAdrid" fault and the possible connection to the mocando well.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join