It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We just had an earthquake in OTTAWA!!!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

I am in Southern Oakland County, Royal Oak to be exact and did not feel a thing, but did go through the 1989 Loma Pieta in the San Francisco Bay Area, I felt that one big time and it scared the hell out of me, think it was in 1986 there was a quake in Lake Michigan, felt that one also but not like the San Francisco Quake, I was in my car in line at the Post Office and it seemed like forever before my car stopped shaking, lucky no damage to my home.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Update :

"Gracefield's main street is closed for at least a day, and there is severe damage to several of the buildings in the town. Part of La Visitation Church collapsed, and officials are now worried that the church bell will come crumbling down." -

"The Auberge Vimy lost a chimney and has severe damage to the rooms inside, while the municipal community centre also suffered damage.However, there were no reports of injuries." -CTV News Ottawa.

"A section of Highway 307 near Bowman, Que., north of Ottawa, collapsed into a river as a result of the quake, shutting down that route." -CBC News

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Official Natural Disaster Day? Something is going on today guys..first an earthquake now we have a tornado watch warning for Chicago. Strange.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What was the depth of this earthquake? I thought that at certain depths, a smaller earthquake can do more damage and be felt for a greater distance than a bigger earthquake at a far lower depth.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
LOL Shocked me. I live in Masson-Angers, myself; and in a basement apartment, no less! The sound was amazing. LOL.

OF course, my daughter didn't think so! But all the little kids were out in the streets shouting and laughing "Siesme!" (I can't spell French... or speak it. Shame I live in a French Province.)

Yeah. She was totally unimpressed by both the sound and the sensation.

But... In all my tired wisdom, the only thing I could rememeber to do was get the hell out of the apartment. LOL

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
hmm, im from Newmarket and i felt a slight movement for about 15 seconds, it scared the # out of me...
it was a 5.5!!
they also sprayed way to many chemtrails the past few days..
g20 is going to be instense.
im not sure if i wanna go.
but ill have a guilty feeling if i dont.

sorry for the noob post

power is knowledge! the power is people!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I find that cell phones not working is strange indeed. Cell phones use microwave radiation, as well as HAARP. Is there some sort of link here or do you think I'm reaching?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I thought it was just the beers I drank whilst watching the soccer game taking effect! Apparently no though. Felt it in Toronto. Crazy.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by FarmerGeneral

after looking in to it a bit, I think the issue with cellphones was due to the plain fact that so many people were trying to make calls.

Must have been a lo of people checking on family.. or maybe just making sure they weren't going crazy!!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
i live in Rochester NY and I felt it, the whole house shook. I was sitting on the couch and it started moving, then the lamp almost fell off the table next to me, all while i had a sleeping baby in my arms!

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I felt this earthquake in downtown montreal

Here's something interesting though, it only affected structures....
but... the sidewalk is a structure though, so is the road

Everything that I spoke to that felt it were in a building, and everyone outside didn't feel it

I am talking about 100% ratio here, 100% of people outside that I spoke to did not feel it.

How is that possible?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
they also said it was a 5.5. if it was wouldnt you feel that outside? didnt it HIT Ottawa?!?! something is funny here.
g20 is this weekend. its the middle of the week ..
is anyone else really TRIPPED OUT?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
What was the depth of this earthquake? I thought that at certain depths, a smaller earthquake can do more damage and be felt for a greater distance than a bigger earthquake at a far lower depth.

Our local weatherman said that it was a shallow quake and that was why it could be felt down here in CT. Even more so on the shore apparently. I don't know what depth qualifies as "shallow", but that is what I have heard.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by BrianInRI

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The earthquake has been downgraded to a 5.0, but take a look at this:

Depth 16.4 km (10.2 miles) set by location program

That is extremely shallow, so it's no wonder it was felt so far.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
I live in Montréal and felt absolutely nothing. I was in my car.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Canadians: Be Afraid.

This was a 5.0 quake. In places that get quakes often, a 5.0 is just strong enough to make people think about maybe taking cover if it doesn't stop in the next 10 seconds. Many people - myself included - can sleep through them. There are almost never reports of damage from quakes this small.

So why be afraid?

There was damage, and some of it significant. Shattered windows in Ottawa, and a bridge collapse seem to be the worst of it so far. But how many homes suddenly have cracks in the foundation, cracks in the plaster, and shattered dinnerware on the floor? How many water pipes and gas lines have been weakened? How many underground conduits bent or compressed? Time will tell.

The point is that there shouldn't be ANY damage from a quake this small. If this had been bigger - a magnitude six, for example, judging from the reports in the media the damage would have been catastrophic and extremely widespread.

Secondly: Panic. The reactions from people on the news are utterly shocking. People sent home from work because they were inconsolable. People milling around in front of office buildings in Ottawa in utter bewilderment. (Hint: don't stand there. If there is a larger quake, or an aftershock, broken window glass falling from the building you just left will completely ruin your weekend plans. )

Panic and destruction. From a quake minor enough that kindergarten students in NZ would have forgotten about by naptime.

Be afraid, Canadians. If this is what happens from a minor quake, what will happen when the inevitable medium sized quake hits?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
To me this doesn't make sense really your area doesn't seem to be known for quakes and out of know where you get a 5.5 and it is felt a long distance.

I don't see after shocks on IRIS are you feeling any aftershocks

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
A Question for the quake experts around here:

Shouldn't there be after shocks by now?

If not, is this a foreshock?

According to the USGS, that are has had larger earthquakes before in the past:

People in the large Western Quebec seismic zone have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from larger ones for three centuries. The two largest damaging earthquakes occurred in 1935 (magnitude 6.1) at the northwestern end of the seismic zone, and in 1732 (magnitude 6.2) 450 km (280 mi) away at the southeastern end of the zone where it caused significant damage in Montreal. Earthquakes cause damage in the zone about once a decade. Smaller earthquakes are felt three or four times a year.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Foreshock or just a quake without aftershocks?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Wow!!

Huge increase in earthquakes in the strangest places these days.

California is having many a day, Hawaii, Fiji, Alaska, Idaho, Salt Lake City.

Think somebody is trying to tell us something? Or is it the Sun?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Everybody I spoke to who were driving and SOME who were walking never felt anything either.
My cell didn't work for about 10 minutes and others have said that as well.
Was an interesting experience for sure.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join