It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Special "TOP HAT" Cover on Top of the BOP has Apparently Blown Off!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bicent76

Absolutely, that is exactly what is going to happen. If these relief wells dont work which is 90% likely, and the flow maintians the same the entire well BOP included will oxidize completele and collapse in on itself. The problem being the only part that would collapse would be the part that has come into direct contact with the sea water. Which would create a very shallow shell that would then burst into a much larger hole once the pressure was released.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by atlguy
The cameras have been color corrected to take into the account the ambient color of the water at that depth. BP needs to see accurate colors in order to gauge what is happening down there. The colors on the screens and in the pictures are 100% the actual colors of what is happening.

The lighting on the rover DOES shift red, but in order to tint something that red - it would have to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out.

(Sidenote - I am a professional videographer and have done underwater stuff...)

Very useful information for everyone here, Logical and to the point.
That will help with people trying to figure out just what they are seeing on their monitors.
Thanks very much.
Iwinder

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
If there were molten lava coming out, would it be steaming? or not, because it's underwater...and it has to hit the air before it will steam? Seems like it would be cascading down the pipe as it came out and cooled as it hit the water, yes?

"Originally posted by atlguy
The cameras have been color corrected to take into the account the ambient color of the water at that depth. BP needs to see accurate colors in order to gauge what is happening down there. The colors on the screens and in the pictures are 100% the actual colors of what is happening.

The lighting on the rover DOES shift red, but in order to tint something that red - it would have to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out.

(Sidenote - I am a professional videographer and have done underwater stuff...) "

Why would it be so differently color shifted now, as opposed to yesterday?

[edit on 23-6-2010 by coney]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
what is going on?? Skandi - ROV 2

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I don't have time to read 19 pages...

OK, CNN says that a rover crashed nto something and they had to take the cap off.

Skandi ROV2 page says this:

Subsea operational update: • This morning at approximately 0845 CDT a discharge of liquids was observed from a diverter valve on the drillship Discoverer Enterprise, which is on station at the MC252 wellsite. As a precautionary measure, the lower marine riser package (LMRP) containment cap system, attached to the Discover Enterprise, has been moved off the Deepwater Horizon's failed blow-out preventer to ensure the safety of operations and allow the unexpected release of liquids to be analysed.
• Capture of oil and gas through the LMRP cap is therefore temporarily suspended until such time that the cap can be re-installed. Capture of oil and gas through the BOP's choke line to the Q4000 vessel on the surface continues.
Updated June 23 at 1.00pm CDT / 7:00pm BST

So, what's really going on eh?

link   
Anybody watching Skandi 2 there is something strange going on atm. I cannot make out what that bright orange/yellowish object is to the top right corner.

At times it looks like a shower of embers...

Say hot material is coming out... how long would it take to cool and darken/harden?

link   
ROV2 !
Pipe looks gone.
Definately using reddish lighting.

link   
reply to post by atlguy

so if the colours are true, why the heck is the stuff coming out of the pipe yellow ? I thought it was oil coming out so why does it look that colour ?

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
hmm.. interesting. I think the "orange" is the dispersant mixed with the oil. I'm watching the CNN feed and every time the dispersant arm hits the oil flow it turns orange.

link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

An accidental death and a suicide connected to this incident. CNN is just reporting the deaths to not seem to be connected to what happened - I just don't believe this - please let us know if any other reports on the deaths - media certainly isn't saying much and this is important news.

link   
reply to post by martinkb

That's what it looks like with no cap on and not right at the base... Puts it into perspective. Really bad!~

link   
is the BOP gone? does anyone have a clue?

link   
reply to post by letscit

It looks as though they put the first Enterprise ROV on the Bop instead. It just gave it a good examination.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by coney

Yes. Look at any footage of underwater volcanoes in history and you will see a huge amount of white gas where the lava is coming into contact with the water. Does the depth of 5000 feet make a difference? I honestly dont know. The pressures at that level are enormous and may in fat be crushing the oxygen bubbles you would normally see with a volcanic event.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It's probably just a view above the BOP where the oil spreads.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

The colors on the screens and in the pictures are 100% the actual colors of what is happening. The lighting on the rover DOES shift red, but in order to tint something that red - it would have to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out.

As I mentioned though, I saw a mechanical robotic arm swing out illuminated in front of the camera and it had the same orange/yellow hue as the plume and glowing area (which I think is exposed paint). In addition, I can see the forward mechanical parts on the assembly and they have a slight orangish illumination (of course, this is darkened muck so its going to be way toned down. Therefore, I am quite confident of my original position that this is lighting effects.

Relax folks, this is not lava.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Posted this so people can see how magma acts under water.. plus it's interesting

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Ocean Intervention III-ROV 1 has been following a large crack on the bottom of the sea floor. Did anyone else see the different spots where something was spewing out of the ground? It looked like oil spewing out of about three different locations in the ground.

And I use this link for the cams since I can watch all of them at the same time:

www.sanaracreations.fi...

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by lasertaglover

Yeah, been watching and recording it. That ROV has been searching around a lot since last night. It found quite a number of areas where clouds of white gas have been seeping up from under the sediment some distance from the BOP.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by Divinorumus]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
has anyone talked about/ considered the idea of putting a temporary pipe all the way from the bottom of the sea (where the leak is) to the surface? to allow the oil to be channelled vertically and collected on the surface?

are flexible pipes of such diameter and length available to those 'cleaning up'?

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join