It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Special "TOP HAT" Cover on Top of the BOP has Apparently Blown Off!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

yes, that's how I see it. So the question is what IS that stuff that has come out of the crack and now just sits there ?

There's not much pipe left before the bolts - that's going to make it hard to saw it level and leave enough room for the cap to be replaced.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Follow up: Algae is considered one of the heartier plants in the world and requires a 30ppm level of chlorine in order to kill it. Other plants are more sensitive and can be killed at levels of 1-10 ppm. Many ocean plants are even more sensitive and can be killed at a level less than 1ppm. There is no cyunaric acid in the ocean (or atleast very minimal quantities) so chlorine can not be stabilized and protected by the UV rays of the sun. Therefore if a reading of any kind is detected at the surface of the ocean, the quantity of chlorine 5000 feet down wold be staggering. Chlorine is also extremely corrosive, and if this is the case the breakdown of the pipes is innevitable.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
from this angle

www.searchlawrence.com...

on the left looks like they got enough clearance to level the pipe

then place a sleeve like in the pvc world

then tighten it over the existing one

[edit on 6/23/2010 by Cito]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

which means 32,600,000,000,000 gallons would kill all the oceans.
With the new pressure coming out , any real guesses as to how many gallons are coming out a day? give us a time frame to look at.

At 4,000,000 gallons a day (100,000 barrels) it would take over 22,000 years. And that's not accounting for the fact that the oil breaks down in sea water in a few months time. In other words, that's not a scenario you should be concerned about.

edit - And that's of course assuming there are even 815 billion barrels of oil in the well, which I kind of doubt.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by heloder]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rich Z
I would think it would be like trying to see through a major dust storm.

Off at a distance from the BOP, it is cloudy. I just uploaded some video from last night, info in this post.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
in the ROV enterprise feed
www.searchlawrence.com...

looks like they using a pick to clean or test a pipe

it will get up close and scrape the white off

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bicent76
reply to post by matadoor001

yup, this is what I am talking about.. Not to scare anyone to death on the gulfcoast but IF, or when a methane bubble bursts, your talking One hundred and Fifty thousand PSIG, rising up to the surface which will cause a Tital wave from HELL itself.. It will also change EVERYTHING.

Can you please explain this? How far inland does a tidal wave from hell reach? Some of us that live here would like to know.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by atlguy

Re the yellow blob....if you look on the older pic, the crack where it is coming out on the newer pic is there and to the LHS the area is LESS eroded than in the newer pic so what might have happened is that the area got more eroded and melted down then cooled . This could account for the yellow blob- metal that has melted then cooled

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Worse case scenario,

I won't believe it unless I see it, but now even the Washington post is take notice.

More trouble: A tropical wave has formed in the Caribbean and could conceivably blow through the gulf.

"We're going to have to evacuate the gulf states," said Matt Simmons, founder of Simmons and Co., an oil investment firm and, since the April 20 blowout, the unflagging source of end-of-the-world predictions. "Can you imagine evacuating 20 million people? . . . This story is 80 times worse than I thought."

In effect, what BP considered the worst-case scenario in early May is in late June the bitter reality -- call it the new normal -- of the gulf blowout.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Internal BP Document Confirms Matt Simmons’ Worst Case Prediction Of Spill Rate Of 100,000+ Barrels Per Day
www.prisonplanet.com...

[edit on 033030p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777]

link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

Free Chlorine is very BAD for the ozone layer.

A lot worse than CFC's or HFC's.

link   
Take a look at enterprise rov 1

link   
reply to post by Under Water

I dunno, I just know their is stress over a methane gas bubble bursting down there.. I am guessing prob. pretty far, if they are stressing over it..

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
The center section of the torn looking piece has begun to glow orange slightly as i am watching.Expect it to fail very soon and a large piece get lost. I hope we can catch it as it happens and conclusively prove the pipe is near molten heat.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well so far the 45+ year fire in Centralia, Penn has put out more toxic gasses than this.

Course this can quicky surpass it if they dont fix it.

problem is they can't fix Centralia since it will burn for 200 more years and govt decided to stop trying to stop that one due to lack of technology to stop it.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by atlguy

Re the yellow blob....if you look on the older pic, the crack where it is coming out on the newer pic is there and to the LHS the area is LESS eroded than in the newer pic so what might have happened is that the area got more eroded and melted down then cooled . This could account for the yellow blob- metal that has melted then cooled
Melting point for sulfur is just under 240 degrees F.

Is it possible that is what the blob is?

Sulfur is yellow and is closely associated with oil and asphalt.

[edit on 23-6-2010 by butcherguy]

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by heloder

Estimates for the reservoir suggest it contains 3-6 billion barrels. Do a google search and most articles agree on this range

There are one thousand millions in one billion

100,000 barrels a day = 10 days to leak one million barrels
100 days to leak 10 million barrels
1000 days to leak 100, 000,000
10,000 days to leak one billion barrels

10,000 days= roughly 30 years to leak one billions barrels

This figure does not take into account more than 100,000 barrels a day - the main leak could gush more, other areas of the sea bed could crack open and hasten the process

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What is happening on enterprise rov 1

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Under Water

Interesting question. They have said that if one of the canary islands ever broke off into the atlantic. It could in fact travel across the entire ocean and create a tidal wave well over 100 feet high which would travel inland well over 50 miles. It's all about water displacement. How big is the bubble? what would be the combustive force of the bubble exploding? These are questions that would likely be best handled by a physisist running comp mods for over a week. The fact that this is 5,000 feet down though means that if the bubble reached anywhere near the surface it could displace 5000 feet of water. There are many many other factors involved though, how far does the wave travel? How much does gravity play a part in dampening the size of the wave? Honestly with so many factors involved it might be truly impossible to determine the size of the wave itself.

posted on Jun, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
hopefully the seafloor will collapse, or they could drill lower into the magma and like a few websites I've visited and of course the kook alex jones I noticed had it on his site also about using magma which would cool as it rose and could be used to seal it.

that was the original idea with the nuke of course just collapse it but thats a dumb idea anyhow.

course watching old 60's underwater nuke tests on youtube are freaking awesome though.

but no idea how far you gotta go down to get to magma, but it will definitely seal it

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join