It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Labor Chief: Illegals Have a Right to Fair Wages

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

I don't think condoning what is tantamount to slavery is a good idea in any form.

I know that people are sick of the illegal immigration issue because right wing media tells them to be sick of the illegal immigration issue, but that does not give employers who themselves are adding to the problem the right to do this.

I agree with you that employers and landlords need to be held accountable as well. If they aren't stopped, this issue will never go away.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

They can't be here legally
but they have a right to fair wages
here.

No, they don't.

"Fair wages" are only required to be paid to legal employees. Anyone engaging in"black market" activity does so outside of "the law." They pay or earn the market price determined by the risks and consequences of the transaction.

Employers who rely on cheap, illegal, labor violate the law. Employees who accept same do so too.

People who eat at restaurants, or trade with similar employers that employ cheap, illegal, labor make such abuse possible.

"Fair wages," in reality, is a market term, dictated by circumstances; just as the market price of "bud" or sex or tax returns. People who patronize such businesses implicitly support their wages, terms of employment and pricing.

Anyone employed by a legitimate employer is entitled to at least "minimum wage." Those employed by "black market" employers work for the "prevailing wage."

Drive out the black market employer, and you drive out the black market in wages.

Of course, the price of arroz con pollo goes up. When we're ready to pay the difference, we'll see a change.

jw

[edit on 21-6-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolf321

WE NEED THE BORDERS CLOSED, PERIOD. NOW. We do not have enough jobs to support them all, let alone our own. CLOSE THE BORDERS. These companies who hire these people should be fined and jailled.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

The problem is, illegals are coming here and being treated like slaves. They are paid far below minimum wage.

Sad. But a complete distortion of reality. This is either a xenophobic palliative, or a deliberate misrepresentation of the truth.

Many illegal aliens earn several times minimum wage but do not face the burden of SSI taxes, withholding, state and local taxation, and the other costs of employing Americans.

I know several who earn over $25/hr with crews earning over $8/hr. on average. They have more work than they can take.

My ex father-in-law paid for his suburban house in cash and never took out a loan for his new (every 2 years) cars! He never possessed a green card and never wanted one. His brothers do not either.

Those in contract employment set their own prices and do better work than their American competitors. Those in private employment accept terms less generous to unionized alternatives. Market rules at work!

Despite the oft repeated, and unverified, claims of "slavery," no one, including you, can provide anything other than rant as support.

Sure, there are instances of forced or kidnapped labor, but that is not the focus of illegal immigration, it is human trafficking.

Those willing to come and work of their own volition do so because of free market competition and opportunity.

Arguing otherwise denies reality and reflects the nanny state mentality that pervades "progressive" perceptions.

If the opportunities didn't exist here, there wouldn't be a market.

Deny ignorance!

jw

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

If the opportunities didn't exist here, there wouldn't be a market.

Kinda the point of my "rant" and I know that not ALL immigrants receive slave wages.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Then we should all acknowledge that the true "cause" of illegal immigration is not "slave wages," but cut-rate employers.

When Americans decide to pay market prices for American labor, there will be no incentives for illegal immigrants to step in and undercut the bidding.

When they are ready to fine or jail their neighbors for taking advantage of prevailing competition for work, things may change.

Insisting that immigrants accept "slave wages" is an absolute falsehood, and a despicable misrepresentation of reality. No one volunteers to "accept" slave wages, by definition.

deny ignorance

jw

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nite owl
reply to post by Aeons

YEH, I DO BELIEVE PEOPLE DESERVE FAIR WAGES. I also beleive we have to many people competing for jobs, so i say no more immigration from anywhere on the globe. CLOSE THE BORDERS NOW.

Interesting. Are you then also not a fan of capitalism? Competition where the best product, service, person wins gets the money based on merit? (and yes, cheap is a merit).

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Aeons

YEH, I DO BELIEVE PEOPLE DESERVE FAIR WAGES. I also beleive we have to many people competing for jobs, so i say no more immigration from anywhere on the globe. CLOSE THE BORDERS NOW.

Interesting. Are you then also not a fan of capitalism? Competition where the best product, service, person wins gets the money based on merit? (and yes, cheap is a merit).

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Illegals Do *NOT* Have a Right to Fair Wages, as they, 'the Illegals' illegaly entered the country with OUT going through the proper channels for a green card.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Competition where the best product, service, person wins gets the money based on merit

In most peoples' accounting, cheap + quality wins. Not in Progressive / Liberal / Democrat logic, though.

'No accounting for fools,' some say.

jw

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

I think for purposes of this argument, if you can't admit that someone legal has more "merit" than someone illegal, you've nothing to contribute.

IMHO and with all respect that is.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
There is no point to this argument. Why? I'll tell you why.

The day I can walk across the border to Mexico, and be handed everything on a silver platter is the day I will agree that ILLEGAL aliens should get anything from the US.

Mexican's cross the border into America, they get aid, no taxes, housing assistance, free medical aid, education etc etc etc.

American's cross the border into Mexico, they are jailed or killed.

And in respect to "corporations being forced to pay fair wages". When have corporations ever done ANYTHING by the book? Just because they are "supposed to" doesn't mean they will. Hell, they aren't "supposed to" hire illegal immigrants in the first place.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
The only good thing about illegal’s getting a fair wage, is that it increases the chance true Americans might be offered one too. However it's kinda bad as it means money goes to Mexico (rather than say Goldmanm Sachs!!)

Obama (and those who truly support his ideology) (like the modern, media ellites) hates white America and everything it stands for. Their “cure” is to turn America into a 2nd world country by making it attractive to illegle’s (rather than legals).
Those who gain the support of the media on the right have no real intention to solve the problem (as Bush showed) so give it another 10-15 years and it will be a wonder if America hasn’t fallen into a racial civil-war (just like 10's of other countries have whenever the economy fails, leaving more time for politics & hatred).

BUT I do agree with the "illegal rights" brigade, on here, that illegle’s deserve a fair wage. Like: No money, for no hours. Because right now (and probably for at least the next 2-5 years) there are far too many, Americans looking for work.

This causes wage deflation in itself, hardly something we want accelerated with “help” across the border.

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This is disgusting. I have no other words.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Illegals should have one right here:

One free bullet as soon as they cross the border illegally.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Doubleagent

So much for human rights eh?

Nice.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Nice.

Human rights dont include entering another country and expecting to be catered to.

Extreme measures are needed to shut down the southern border.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

Nice.

Don't you know illegals aren't human?

That's why they call em' illegal.

Really, this is a smart move. If employers were forced to pay fair wages and benefits to all then there would be no more incentive for illegals to come as there would be no advantage in hiring them. Of course, then the companies would just ship even more jobs overseas. We can blame illegals for that too though.

[edit on 22-6-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Wolf321

WE NEED THE BORDERS CLOSED, PERIOD. NOW. We do not have enough jobs to support them all, let alone our own. CLOSE THE BORDERS. These companies who hire these people should be fined and jailled.

Ahhh yes now there is the american spirit.

"Give us you poor, your tired, your huddled...ummm, nevermind. No one can come."

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerekJR321
There is no point to this argument. Why? I'll tell you why.

The day I can walk across the border to Mexico, and be handed everything on a silver platter is the day I will agree that ILLEGAL aliens should get anything from the US.

Mexican's cross the border into America, they get aid, no taxes, housing assistance, free medical aid, education etc etc etc.

American's cross the border into Mexico, they are jailed or killed.

And in respect to "corporations being forced to pay fair wages". When have corporations ever done ANYTHING by the book? Just because they are "supposed to" doesn't mean they will. Hell, they aren't "supposed to" hire illegal immigrants in the first place.

See, theres a catch here though....someone HAS TO GIVE THEM THESE THINGS

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join