It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Just ot a call from the US Census @ 7:00 Sun. night! Must read!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

This just ain't right and if it is right-then it's WRONG!!

So there I am, sitting with the wife on a beatiful Sunday evening, relaxing, watching the grass grow from the back porch. You know what I mean-do nothing special on Sunday & Fathers Day!

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Who the hell is calling from an 866 telephone number on a Sunday night? We're paid up on our bills, the kids all called, we called all the Dads etc... Don't answer it.
Anyway. as we were doing nothing.

Bleep Bleep (message). Hmmm. Listen...

This is the US Census Bureau. Please contact our office at 866-851-2010-Sunday hours 11-9. Please refer to your case number 1234-5678. bla bla bla- that's all I needed to hear!!!

WELL. Now my interest is peaked. Honey, did you send that census form back? Yes-the following day that we got it (like the 3rd day of the start of it).

I call back and get a slightly accented male named Adam K...... He proceeds to tell me that he needs to clarify some of the responses on our return and wanted to start with my address. (all while a 1970's sounding phone recorder is operating (I assume-that is the only sound/thought I can equate to the sound).

WHOA....... Stop.... Nada....

Me: WHat did you say you were doing this for?
Adam: To confirm the information you submitted for the census.
Me: Over the phone? Like all the confidential info I put on the form you want on the phone?
Adam: Yes, and a few questions.... bla bla bla.....
Me: Did you say you have additional questions that weren't on the form and now a case number has been established on my name-for what reason would a special case number be assigned? And why would you call on a Sunday evening?
Adam: Um, errrrrr, ahhhh, Could you hold please?
Me: Yes: and while you are searching for an answer from someone, I will put my wife on as she is the one who completed the form.
Pause: Wife is ALL ready as she was listening and is a bigger conspiracist than I!

Adam: The questions are to determine if any additona people may be residing in your household that may not have been properply reported bla bla bla....
Wife: Are you saying the form was not enough? Why would you think additional people live under my roof? I can hardly keep our heads above water let alone more people!
Adam: More hummin and hawing.. errrs' ummmm?
Wife: I'll tell you what. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions the Census might have....... at my house. Please have someone come to my house (after I get home from work) and we can discuss it.
Adam: Errrr. ummmm.... Ughs.........
Wife: That's what I want, someone to come here and confirm the info you are requesting...
Adam: Yes mame....
End of call!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know some of you will say something to the effect that I should have cooperated but I am telling you, something did sound right with Adam or getting called on a Sunday night-late.

AND, on that note, what are their guidelines to be contacting people anyway? Anytime they feel like it?

But, I am sure most of you would agree that this is somewhat improper. I am sure those people like Adam (if he was actually with the Census Bureau) wouldn't want me bothering them on a Sunday evening at this home! Like I said in the begining-this isn't right and if it is right-it's Wrong!

Anyway, I wanted to get this out there to prepare anyone else and/or raise alarm to possible scammers/info gatherers etc.

I'll let you know if anyone come to our house-referencing the same Case Number! Just crazy and pure Male Bovine Feces. I can't believe we are paying for them to do this-(if it is legit).

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It sounds to me as if someone was trying to jack your identity by using the Census as an excuse. Often, for credit purposes, they'll ask about previous addresses. I just can't think of why anyone Census related would ask such a thing. Try googling the number they called from. Most likely it was a scam.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Probably just a scam. Did he have a jamaican accent? or any?

We get plenty calls here saying that we won $75,000 and what not, but ofcourse its always a scam.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
We sent in our census letter one day after we received it and we still had the pleasure of being visited by two other census workers who had the proper credentials. \

Tax dollars hard at work

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
[edit on 20-6-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

(Assume it may be a scam if not one of these numbers)

From the official census website:

Census Bureau numbers are:

•English: 866-851-2010
•Spanish: 866-859-2010
•Russian: 866-848-2010
•Korean: 866-874-2010
•Vietnamese: 866-863-2010
•Chinese: 866-881-2010
•TDD: 866-784-2010

"Through mid-August, the Census Bureau will call households who have responded to the 2010 Census if we need to clarify any answers about the number of people living at the address. These calls are simply to clarify answers that have been given and to make sure we count everyone once, only once and in the right place. Not every household will receive a call. The Census Bureau estimates that we may need to call about 8 million households over the four-month period. If you get a call:

•The caller will identify themselves as working for the U.S. Census Bureau and that the purpose of their call is to help the Census Bureau take the most accurate census and to ensure we have counted everyone at the right address.

•The caller ID will likely show “U.S. Census Bureau.” If this text is not supported (such as on a cell phone), then the inbound toll-free number should show up. The exact number depends on the language skill for which the call is made. If a household would like to confirm they have been contacted by the Census Bureau, they could call one of the possible numbers above and use the eight-digit case identification number they were provided to complete the interview. The interview will take approximately 10 minutes.

•2010 Census takers will not ask you for your social security number, bank account number or credit card number.

•2010 Census takers never solicit for donations and will never contact you by e-mail.

•2010 Census takers will not ask about your citizenship status.

•The information collected over the phone, as well as provided on the census form or to a census worker in-person, is kept confidential by law, Title 13, U.S. Code - which is the same law that protects all information provided to census employees.

•If the interviewer calls and nobody answers the phone, he or she will leave a message requesting the household to return the call. In addition, a specific case identification number will be provided so the household can call back and complete the interview."

Source: 2010.census.gov...

[edit on 20-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I would say someone is trying to scam you, maybe get information on when your house might be empty...

Or the man of the house not there...

If you had answered questions over the phone, who knows what he might have asked, possibly to gain entry to your home when no one is home.

There was a scam once where someone was asking about pets, and it was to gain access to homes where they didn't have to worry about being attacked by a dog!! Always say you have large dogs.

Also, how trustworthy are these census workers. A real census worker might be using the company phone to make it seem real, and then they come in and rip off your home cause they are only temp workers themselves.

Yes, I have a suspicious mind.
It has kept me safe.

edit to add.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
What are the chances that they call you on a sunday night at 7:00, you a person who is a conspiracy theorist on ATS and an anti-government Conservative?

I smell a lie.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

From the official census website: (If not one of these numbers, the caller is a scam artist)

Census Bureau numbers are:

•English: 866-851-2010

Well, there ya go. Same number that was in the OP.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by Libertygal]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Well, now I see/read what manta put up, I guess it was a legit call but on a Sunday night, come on. That ain't right.

I'm still going to call them Monday and b---h about calling on a Sunday-period. A person works all week, puts up with countless b.s and the one day a person thinks he can relax in peace.....

Hi, we don't believe everything you put on the form. so of instead of coming out and verifying it in prson, we'll give you another opportunity to lie to us again.

Well, guess I'll be getting a visit..... ugh....

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh man, Obama is gonna be PISSED at you!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

wow, and then another wow
I do appreciate you sharing this info with us
as it keeps us on our toes and in the know.

I highly suspect that everybody will wish
they hadn't filled this out when it comes
time for Martial Law. But I have been wrong
before.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I would simply call the official census bureau number and verify the case number, and complete the interview that way.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
The caller ID doesn't mean anything as it can be spoofed. Don't give out ANY information to people who call YOU. Write down the case number, look up the phone number for the Census Bureau via their website, and call them.

If it pans out, great, if not, it's a scam artist.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

It struck me as a scam too. Maybe you should report the number to the census bereau, they could either verify it or pass it along to someone who can investigate it.

I've had the census come by, and send forms but never called before.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've been getting calls, too. I filled out my form and sent it in, also. If it's really the Census Bureau, it irritates me that they think I'm such an idiot. The form was cake. They have the information they need. I haven't answered, because I wasn't sure if it wasn't a scam, and because I filled out my form properly.

But let me check my (cell) phone and tell you how many times they've called, what times, and all of that:

1. May 27, 7:25p, Thurs.
2. May 31, 3:38p, Mon.
3. Jun 08, 2:27p, Tues.
4. Jun 12, 4:00p, Sat.
5. Jun 16, 2:49p, Wed.
6. Jun 20, 2:34p, Sun.

Edit: To add that the calls are all from 866-851-2010, and a different person leaves a message every time (or, at least, they haven't all been the same person), saying they're with the US Census Bureau and to please call them back with case number bla bla bla (same one each time, though).

[edit on 21-6-2010 by JenRecluse]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Same here. Been visited twice after sending back the form. And all I did each time was say, "The information on the form I returned to you is correct, and I don't know what else I can tell you?" Thing is I never got a new question. They just asked what was on the form, and they kept trying to look into the house, and would not leave. I kept asking if there was anything else I could do for them, and they both said no. What the heck?

About a month ago, I was on vacation in Hilton Head, SC, in a rental villa. Three different census takers knocked on the door during the course of a week. I politely explained I was just here for the week and just a renter, yet they insisted on knowing my name and address anyway. I said what about the names and addresses of the other three people here? All three said no, just yours so we can show we were here. By the third visit, from a third person, I just had to comment on how they couldn't even keep straight who was covering what areas and that I was not providing the information. Then I closed the door. Thing is they don't LEAVE. They want to come IN. I said the second and third time, you know, the rental office should be able to provide you a list of owners and renters...please leave me alone now.

All this is just kind of weird to me.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I know a girl who worked for the census for 6 weeks - they wanted no more than FIVE contacts per day. Yes, that's right, 5 contacts in 8 hours.

It's a scam.

#BTLS

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by elvisofdallas

Any chance she can get their internal employee handbooks/documents etc?

Does she still have contacts there that can get some of the same?

)

new topics

top topics

join