It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Connect to the Internet if the Switch is Flipped?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
The "internet" can't be "turned off", I've lost count of the amount of threads that pop up about this nonsense topic.

Firstly, there is no such thing as "the Internet". There isn't some big box in an underground bunker labelled "Internet" and it won't need a small Jewish boy to unplug it if it stops working. What we know as the internet is just a protocol that sits over the exact same physical telecoms network that we use for everything else.

At best, The President could disable or restrict access for users within the USA but he has no hope in hell of affecting users in other countries, aside from causing issues to people wanting to connect to US based websites.

Even the mythical "root DNS servers" that Americans like to cling on to as some sort of Internet Core can be quickly replicated and replaced in short order by others, if that hasn't already been done.

[edit on 20/6/10 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I would be willing to bet there are hackers out there who thought of this a long time ago and keep updating their "fail safe" plan just incase TPTB do decide to cut us off.

Hackers could do a lot of bad things via the internet......but they don't..

We should respect them and play nice....

Imagine what you could do if all you ever did was learn how to hack and code stuff via the internet...

It's like their open sandbox I would assume...and once it went live, it stays live...

Even if you were to shut down the internet worldwide, it would still exist and be there waiting for us....

I know the gov has some very smart people in place to prevent that. but at the elite level, everybody always thinks they are the best.......instead of ever really being the best.

They would not shut the internet down for themselves though, and this would allow hackers to still enter into THEIR internet...

TPTB use the same internet to store private data........there is no way they would just destroy all that date unless they had it backed up somewhere..

And that is a lot of backing up I would assume...

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
dial-up ISP's still exist. If you have free phone service to a pay provider in, say, Mexico or Canada, you're good. It'll be slow.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I will make a suggestion since there are 1000s of people from the US that go outside of the US every day that could collect information from the Internet out side the US.

If the Internet in the US went down there is a few sites in foreign countries that information could be posted and stored telling people how to regain access or work around any shutdown.

One i know of is a photo storage site in Russia.
its owned by a American. www.imgsrc.ru
Documents can be scanned and stored in photo formats.
another might be by posting the info on pirate bay.

Documents could be stored on this site telling ways to get around a shutdown for travelers to collect and bring back on flash drives or stored in laptop.
This would spread the bypass information rapidly by hacker or others getting the documents to people that are going outside the US to post.
Other travelers could then pick up the information and spread it when they came back.

It then would only take days to start a resistance group and week for people to start finding way around any Internet shutdown.

This would also allow people outside the US to help bring back up a underground Internet because they would have a communication site to get information to help and send back.

I would say that everyone on ATS keep www.imgsrc.ru in mind just in case as a information drop site.
The information could be posted under the users name ATS and password ATS.
That way any member world wide could help.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Obama has to receive compliance from all ISPs in the country.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I think it would be possible to use a cellphone to connect to a foreign satellite internet provider;

Or just use a direct tv satellite dish, hook your computer up to the satellite box and paste in a script

Or just buy a satellite phone with internet capabilities

Or Buy a satellite phone, hook it up to your pc, and dial to a dial up modem oversea's

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I really don't think he would kill the internet.

He could make it so the internet would still function, except not the way Gore had originally designed it. All he would have to do is force a redirection for all http requests to go to only one and only web site, barackobama.com.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

If you can still make an international phone call...
...you can still have access to the Internet via that connection.

All you need is access to someone outside of the US that you can connect through...
...to really shut down the Internet you would have to disable all servers in the world...
...you can't close Pandora's box.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I was gonna say he cannot do it without voluntary compliance from ISP's or somehow force them all to go through certain switches or routers that he has control over. Most likely the ISP's will comply out of fear and intimidation.

Satellite and an offshore connection is one way to try an get around it however chances are you'd never get on as the traffic would be way over the top.

What we need to do is set up local private networks that could talk to each other without going through an ISP via phone lines like the old bulletin board days. But then you are limited to the speed of the phone lines. There may be some still running I don't know.

You'd think someone would have come up with a way by now to talk to any computer without having an ISP. If we could do that then it would be much harder to shut it down. Right now we are too dependant on centralized backbones.

Now there is a project for some enterprising folks.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

You need a license for several reasons.

First and foremost is safety. Some of these radios can and will kill you if you play fu** around with them. This in addition to climbing tall towers if so inclined to buy one and install it. You have to have a certain amount of knowledge in safety to operate some of these rigs and there are questions on the test in these regards.

Second, ham radio has the ability to reach around the world. Back in the good old days, even telephones didn't work like that for the most part. Hard to believe, but true. The government wanted a record of people who had the ability to communicate partly for national defense, MARS nets are still running, and who to "watch" in times of national emergency such as war. Ham radio was even shut down during WW2 for this very reason. If the internet is shut down, expect licensed ham radio operators to be questioned or worse, their equipment confiscated.

Ham radio is an interesting choice for communications in dire times. It's worked in the past when everything else, much more modern, was not available.

Yeah, I know why they license people, I just don't think they are valid reasons at all. First off, I don't need or want a "nanny state" telling me what I can or can't do. I'm perfectly fine with evaluating my own risks and I surely don't trust the government to do that for me. The government should be playing the absolute minimum role in our lives, at least in a society that touts itself as free and the beacon of liberty. Freedom and liberty are nothing but "buzz-words" thrown out their to keep the people subdued and oblivious to what real freedom and liberty actually is.

In fact, our founding fathers and the pilgrims too, fought for/came to this country for the very idea of limited government and personal liberty. Once the government gets into dictating our personal lives to protect us from ourselves, it is no longer a free government but rather a tyrannical government. We then have let liberty escape us because a government is dictating what we can or can't do, as if they know better than you or I, how to live our own lives.

As far as the second reason, I should be able to stay anonymous if I wanted to. The government is not supposed to own us, rather the government is supposed to be by, for and of the people. This is not the case when the government is dictating our lives under the guise of safety & security and it surely isn't the case when the government is keeping track of us.

In fact, we should never be scared of our own government, this was just not how it was intended to be, yet we are all scared of our government. How many of us get nervous when we get a call or letter from the IRS? We automatically think "audit". How many of us get nervous when a police car is behind us? It should simply not be that way at all, and had we actually held our government accountable and forced them to abide by the Constitution, it wouldn't be that way.

You see, when our founding fathers created the American experiment, they knew exactly how tyranny creeps in. Because of this, they fashioned our founding documents in a way to give Americans easy access to the tools needed to fight and defeat tyranny. All Americans had to do, was take this responsibility seriously. We failed and the generations before ours failed. We completely ignored the simple responsibilities that were spelled out for us, by the great men who sacrificed their lives to give us what we took for granted and lost.

We shouldn't need the government's permission to do anything. The government should be getting our permission to do things. Over the years this order has been corrupted to favor an out of control government and our Constitution is meaningless now. The only thing that government is good for these days, is keeping us subdued and in line, thinking that we have liberties, rights and protections but it's all a fassad. The 1st Amendment no longer matters, as we have a corporate press corps and we need to get the government's permission to both communicate and assemble. This defeats the purpose. Our founding fathers created the 1st through 10th Amendments to protect us from the government.

When the Constitution was first written, the Bill of Rights was not included. Many people were worried that the Constitution did not protect the people from the government, so the Bill of Rights was created to ensure that not only could the people be able to easily replace a tyrannical government, but they would also keep the government from overstepping its bounds.

The 2nd Amendment no longer matters either, as we are not allowed to arm ourselves in a manner relevant to overthrow a tyrannical government. you see, the purpose of the 2nd Amendment, was as a last resort, to overthrow our government after organizing against them via the 1st Amendment. I could go on and on about each individual Amendment in the Bill of Rights, but I won't because I believe the point is made.

In sum, we have allowed freedom and liberty to slip through our grasps and all of us have been indoctrinated to accept the government encroaching on our lives. It's perfectly acceptable to many people that the government should dictate our lives to protect us from ourselves and this is extremely scary because it is the very anti-thesis of freedom and liberty. For those who believe that the Constitution should be invalid because it was written a couple hundred years ago, our brilliant forefathers had thought of that too. It's called the Amendment process. Things can be updated in the Constitution through the Amendment process, only it's very difficult to do and rightly so. Because of this difficulty, our Constitution was just subverted instead and then made irrelevant while still allowing the people to cling to it as if it provides some kind of safety net to our freedom.

So, just because our government wants to protect us from ourselves or because our government wants to keep track of us, that doesn't make it right that we have to ask their permission to do anything, including Ham Radio operation. Please excuse my rant, it is just so bothersome for me that don't find issue or anything wrong with the fact that liberty no longer exists in America. I find it treasonous and wholly un-American.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The answer here is digital radio

The various modes allow for the transmission of images, email, text and voice communications when there is no internet

An excellent write up here:

www.wb8nut.com...

Buy the equipment and download the free software they have on their page and you are set for communications.

End of thread.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I havent read all the posts but (too long) wouldnt it be easier for them to overflood it ? I mean the idea is to render the internet inoperable it will prety much be shut down right ?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
After reading everything, btw thanks, it seems almost impossible to switch off the internet completely.

I was wondering if it would be possible for them to flood the lines with a scrambling jammer? Kind of like what the cable people do.

That way only those with the descrambler box (or whatever) could connect.

Does that make sense?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

Of course it's impossible for one country to shutdown the entire internet but for all practical purposes, the US could cut Americans out of access and the rest of the world out alot of access. That is the web. Even though DNS servers are scattered across the globe, the whole thing is managed in California. For instance, ICANN can throw off the syncing of these DNS servers, that would throw them all off, making it difficult if not impossible to get around the web. Also, the backbones of the web being ran by the big telecom companies, could easily be shut off or managed in a way that would only let certain networks run, such as medical, police and government. There is a way to cut off access to most Americans and there is also a way to hamper web access to the rest of the world. It's important to note the difference between the web and the internet.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You do realise if Obama even attempted this, the WHOLE world would condemn the god forsaken United states.

If you guys think the world hates you now, imagine the repercussions of this.

Goodnight America, you entertained the world for a while, but i'm afraid the rest of the world is sick of you.

etc.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

If things are dire enough for them to do this, assuming of course that it's physically possible, which I think it is, I'm quite sure we won't really give a damn about what the world thinks. But I'm also thinking that if this happens here, the rest of the world will probably be in the thick of it too.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

If things are dire enough for them to do this, assuming of course that it's physically possible, which I think it is, I'm quite sure we won't really give a damn about what the world thinks.

Indeed, why change a habit of a life time, since when did your country ever give a damn about the rest of the world?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   

You can't quote me out of context and then make a statement like that. Intellectual dishonesty makes me itch. If I didn't state that clearly, my bad. I think I did, but let me have another go....

If we're in a situation that calls for this, chances are your ass is going to be grass too. Is that a bit plainer for you? In addition, if we fall, you don't stand a chance. More understandable for you? Again, my apologies for being unclear.

As for your disingenuous reply? I don't give a fig what you think. Our record stands as caring and supportive people in times of need. People who by the way don't particularly care for our loose cannon government or its ludicrous decisions anymore than you do. Bash away. Doesn't bother me.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Okay maybe you're right. The American people are different to the American government.

It just annoys me when the American government think they are somehow higher or mightier than anyone else. Forgetting that most nations have existed longer and will probably continue to do so.

Anyway, yeah sorry for taking you out of context, it was by no means an attack on you.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
What if Osama i mean Obama has the IANA in his back pocket?

I can see that happening, but I think this is geared towards the USA only. I think this would mirror the way China works, any dissent is easily squashed. All things are monitored to 'prevent terrorism', yet that's like attempting to prevent water from splashing when you jump in the pool. A small group of men control our fates...how sad.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join