It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Connect to the Internet if the Switch is Flipped?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
If someone decided to switch off the internet one afternoon, I think it would be very similar to an electrical blackout situation and it would get turned back on real quick.

A lot of systems depend on internet connections nowadays. Hospitals transmitting critical information, Transportation logistics, etc, etc.

A lot of these systems are Local Area Networks, but a lot are not, or not completely and rely on a public internet connection...

But... If it did happen...

ATS could start up a Bulletin Board System as an emergency back up system in such a case. Back before the internet, people would actually use the modems in their computers to telephone another computer running a Bulletin Board System or 'BBS'.

People could post messages, and distribute files. Some systems were setup to 'relay' a collection of message from one system (city usually) to the next. Not very graphical, but very functional.

Of course there are costs for such a system and you are limited to ~56k of/or modem bandwidth.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   

ATS could start up a Bulletin Board System as an emergency back up system in such a case. Back before the internet, people would actually use the modems in their computers to telephone another computer running a Bulletin Board System or 'BBS'.

People could post messages, and distribute files. Some systems were setup to 'relay' a collection of message from one system (city usually) to the next. Not very graphical, but very functional.

Of course there are costs for such a system and you are limited to ~56k of/or modem bandwidth.

I mentioned this very thing not to far back in this thread. The funny thing is, there are still quite a few BBSes in operation still. They just don't seem to use the modem connection much anymore and rely on telnet to login.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
The answer here is digital radio

The various modes allow for the transmission of images, email, text and voice communications when there is no internet

An excellent write up here:

www.wb8nut.com...

Buy the equipment and download the free software they have on their page and you are set for communications.

End of thread.

This sounds pretty good, but have you used it? If so give us a review of what you have used and how well it works? Could this potentially replace ISP's or are we still dealing with the FCC and band width? And or is this really only practical as a back up and not a regular mode of communications anywhere near on par with the internet?

We need an ISP free mode of communications now is the time. Something that has no government controls period. Is that even possible? I will research this more but wanted to hear from someone who is using it if possible.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

I have been looking into the subject for a while now. Being a BC/DR and network engineer guy I have looked at many options to preserve computer communications in a global "downtime".

Even thought about using the crystals on the moon to beam information around the world.

The biggest problem is that if there is such outage you can assume that the power grid is down as well. Thus in order to maintain communications there have to be several people connected with one another that are self sustainable for a longer period of time.

Even in this scenario it's a highly vulnerably construction if there is only a limited number of people connected and there is a world crisis.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
The internet was designed to be built in such a way that takeing down part of the internet would not effect other parts and providing Euorpes DNS servers have cached data then it can continue to work to some degree.

Europe also has it's own GPS system that is better than the outdated american system and EU leaders were told by uncle sam that if they did not turn it off when ordered to do so by uncle sam then the satalites would be shoot out the sky.

Who needs freinds like that and we should retaliate in kind.

it's fantastic that the USA has raised this isue and allows Europe to plan around Obama trying to pull any switch but then what would all the spys inside FEMA/CIA/MOSSAD have to do.

Maybe i need to get myself a CB Radio and bring myself upto speed on packet radio ready for when the zionists crash the worlds banking system.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

As you said, alot of infrastructure and services now rely on such services to function.

But, as I said before, there isn't really a network called "the internet" or seperate networks for these companies and services LAN's. It all goes over the same underlying networks, through the same transmission kit, the same routers and switches, everything.

Such a "kill switch" for "the internet" is not possible. You could not just turn off you telecoms infrastructure unless you were bonkers. Even if you did, which would be suicide, it would only affect the US.

It might surprise Americans to know this, but there is far, far more network outside the US than inside it and you guys are not the centre of the Universe.

I've read some talking about ICAAN or others being able to disrupt traffic, but this is impossible. Do they have access to every network in the world? Do they even have the power, as a regulatory body, to physically do anything to anyones network? This is usually beyond the scope of a regulator.

Alot of fear mongering, incorrect assumptions and information in this thread.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
anything that uses electricity to work, such as ISP's, PC's, etc., can be shut down easily, just switch off the power line to that particular piece of equipment, no power, no work.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Haha, indeed. Kind of cutting your nose off to spite the face though, isn't it?

However any "ISP", as you call it, worth it's salt will have significant battery and generator backup, at least for 12 hours if not more.

That is the case here in the UK anyway. I work for a large telco and we can endure significant power disruption with no loss of service. Ironically, the network used to control the National Grid is one of the one's I manage, so in reality I could turn off the electricity to the whole nation!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

thats the reason why a lot of survivor oriented sites have been telling the members to copy down the IP address... because the DNS name linking through a www.... (etc address) might not work during a crack-down by the PTB... whereas an address like 155-55-151-15 will likely be the only way to get around the shutdown... individual servers not connected to the matrix will still be operational-> although the cable or phone or wireless connectivity access may be shutdown too.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkiye

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
The answer here is digital radio

The various modes allow for the transmission of images, email, text and voice communications when there is no internet

An excellent write up here:

www.wb8nut.com...

Buy the equipment and download the free software they have on their page and you are set for communications.

End of thread.

This sounds pretty good, but have you used it? if so give us a review of what you have used and how well it work? Could this potentially replace ISP's or are we still dealing with the FCC and band width? And or is this really only practical as a back up and not a regulare mode of communications anywhere near on par with the internet?

We need an ISP free mode of communications now is the time. Something that has no government controls period. Is that even possible? I will research this more but wanted to hear from someone who is using it if possible.

No I have not used it but I have been downloading and saving all the software to when I get around to be able to buy the equipment with those modes enableled. I have been dong research on these things and it seems to be the only way to send text and images without the use of an isp.

Look up the program called easypal, it works with a radio and you can transmit crystal clear images...pretty neat

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

I tried explaining this in another thread and people just could not get it. Lets try this:

When you type in www.abovetopsecret.com you get sent to this website. When Obimbo flips the KILLSWITCH what he will actually do is turn off the computer that understands where to send your request for www.abovetopsecret.com .

It is like having a central post office that all letters and parcels have to go through, the DNS systems is that central office. Close that office down (shut the DNS system off) and no letters get processed and forwarded to local post office distribution centres, in other words your DNS request will come back as Server Unknown. It makes no difference if you can actually connect to the internet you will not be able to get any websites.

If you want to be able to communicate then you need the one thing the government has slowly been working on getting rid of. Analogue VHF ham radio! remember terminator 3 - the only thing that still works after atomic war is an old school two way RADIO.

May luck be with you all, because GOD has f*cked off to a planet with decent, sane, caring people on it.

[edit on 21-6-2010 by theregonnakillme]

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

DNS servers are located all over the world with information cached, should these "root" machines ever vanish.

Also, with IP addresses, DNS servers become moot. The "internet" would still function.

Both these things alone ensure that no one person ever has complete control over "the internet".

Thats aside from the fact there are other protocols one can use and multiple networks throughout the globe. Like I keep saying, there is no such thing as "the internet", so how can it be turned off?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by theregonnakillme

You missing the fact that DNS only does what you say based on names. You can still get to the site using the IP address without DNS. So he would have to have control of all the routers too. Also there is not just one Central DNS server there are many. I don;t know the particulars but they would have to force all traffic through certain servers and that would require voluntary compliance from ISP.

Unless I am behind the curve it is not as simple as people think to just shut off the internet. I am not saying it can't be done but the whole Idea of the internet was military communication that were not centralized so they were less vulnerable to attack. There are millions of servers around the globe and they do not all run through one centralized hub so to speak there are several.

There are probably dozens of choke points so to speak if not more that they would have to have control of. Maybe someone more familiar with the structure of internet backbones can throw more light on it or correct me if I am wrong?

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If the internet was killed in the US, then the bulletin boards would fire back up, eventually bulletin boards would be linked, and the internal structure would be reborn. ham radio would skyrocket. It would never be truly gone.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I guess its not so far fetched after all.
Egypt shutdown worst in Internet history

And this could very easily happen in America...scary, how will I facebook!!!! haha
Bill Lets Obama Turn Off the Internet

Two bills introduced giving the President the power to deem a private network part of the nation’s critical infrastructure and shut it down for cybersecurity reasons also gives the Commerce Secretary the power to access network data outside of oversight.

edit on 29-1-2011 by earth2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I find it hard for the Govt to have me turn off my site in UT.
But, they could start cutting access between states, but that would be hard within the directly connected sites across the US.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Well, if the grand Omnipotent Obama injects his BS as states that we are public utilities, then "Yes We Can"!.

I keep telling myself that 2012 is almost here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join