It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Connect to the Internet if the Switch is Flipped?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The U.S goverment has no killswitch to turn off the internet for the world.Even just shutting down the U.S's internet cannot work.They could cut-off acces to and from the U.S a lot easier (not easy).They could shut down ICANN (affecting only the U.S) but ISP would keep running for a week or 2 providing them with more then enough time to solve it.

They would need to kill off every single ISP since killing off acces at user end is to immense and unreliable.Shutting down ISP's by force would take weeks if we where to asume if it is possible at all without seizing the entire country in a coupe.Also having all the ISP's willingly co-operating on this is out of the question.

If they where somehow able to do it ,it would mean the end of the economy.So unless TPTB plan to go all Kim-Yung on the U.S the country would fall apart and without a economy form a new third world country in no time.

No import
No export
No wallstreet
No malls
No postal service
No phone
No TV
No public transport
No energy

No disneyland

[edit on 19-6-2010 by Rafe_]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
When this was discussed during the Bush/Patriot Act era, we determined that if they want to kill it, they can pretty much kill it. The backbone ISPs are pretty much all in their pockets. That was pretty evident when all the providers started being sued over illegal wiretaps. Ring a bell?

I'm hoping that no one here is thinking this is something new? That this isn't a big, bad Obama thing? This exact discussion was had in the Bush era. Same law and maybe even Lieberman. I can't remember.

[edit on 19-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Okay, the American part of the internet is shut down. The disgruntled American finds a dubious way to get back on the internet. Now what???

Go to Ebay, no most sites are down. Check your E-M, again that pesky site thing. What do you really need the internet for if it has been shut down. Chances are, if your in America, this will really be the least of your worries.

You need a strong plan B and C...

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well here we go again on the dis-information thread. The president cannot shut off the internet, unless he gets the cooperation of every other government that has a top level domain extension as well.

In Canada, the .ca extension is handled by CIRA. The USA has no authority to shut off the Canadian Internet infrastructure. This is the same for every other country.

ICANN cannot just shut off the IPs and protocols. First off ARIN handles only the IP allocations in this part of the world, and would quickly lose control over that if someone decided to shut off the internet. It is only by peer agreement that ARIN continues to have that authority.

Root Servers. The .com and .net root servers are held within the USA, but there are systems for each and every other domain extension. Shutting off the root servers would kill the .com and .net for the short term, but cached dns would run until we found a way to reroute.

The internet may have been invented in the USA, but once the world governments began using the internet to distribute their own official services the internet became the worlds property.

Now, since it seems that no one remembers the days of dial up, it only takes a bunch of phone lines and a multi port analog modem board to provide dial up internet access if you have an internet connection out side of the USA. Which I do, as do many other local ISP's. That means it would only be a long distance phone call for any American who really wanted to get online.

Lastly if, the president really wanted to shut off the internet, he would be willingly shutting off the jobs and livelihoods of the last few employed Americans actually gainfully employed. Now how would they expect the American people to react to that?

Better chance of seeing Niburu floating by in the night sky than the US govt actually shutting off the internet.

..Ex

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
reply to post by warequalsmurder

I would suggest that everyone start to learn ham radio operation, then ask the government for permission to operate a ham-radio. It's unfortunate, but we need to get the government's permission by licensing, to operate ham radios. I wonder why that is?

--airspoon

You need a license for several reasons.

First and foremost is safety. Some of these radios can and will kill you if you play fu** around with them. This in addition to climbing tall towers if so inclined to buy one and install it. You have to have a certain amount of knowledge in safety to operate some of these rigs and there are questions on the test in these regards.

Second, ham radio has the ability to reach around the world. Back in the good old days, even telephones didn't work like that for the most part. Hard to believe, but true. The government wanted a record of people who had the ability to communicate partly for national defense, MARS nets are still running, and who to "watch" in times of national emergency such as war. Ham radio was even shut down during WW2 for this very reason. If the internet is shut down, expect licensed ham radio operators to be questioned or worse, their equipment confiscated.

Ham radio is an interesting choice for communications in dire times. It's worked in the past when everything else, much more modern, was not available.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
LOL

it will depend the kind of "switch"

- if he calls all internet providers to disable the connection, its over, in the US

- if he shutdown all DNS servers in the US, in the US you wont be able to access without the IP address of the specific site you want to visit

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
reply to post by On the level

But, if he did.

I live in Florida, is there any other way for me to connect?

Me too!

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by drkid

Originally posted by earth2
reply to post by On the level

But, if he did.

I live in Florida, is there any other way for me to connect?

Me too!

I mentioned this in my earlier post. Reverting to the earlier form of the net. BBS systems, dial-up modems. They may be able to kill DSL / Internet - but computers still work, and many still have modems ( I know mine does )

That was the original internet anyway. Dialing through phone lines to connect computers together.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I strongly believe if the internet becomes inaccessible, people need to hit the streets and join together, because it is the only way we are going to be able to communicate and know what is going on. The only reason the Internet would be shut off, is if the Federal Government is up to something. We the people, do not deserve to be knocked 60 years backwards in communication.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
How about the Internet Service Providers? Is the Federal Government going to print brand new million dollar sheets out of thin air to compensate for the loss? I seriously hope our Military men and women are being informed about what is going on at home.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Again, AT&T and Verizon and the like did not seem to have a single problem with rolling over and providing all sorts of illegal wiretap information a few years back. And again, they run most of the backbones, so your dial-up lines? they could be shut off or blocked too. I bet they can already do it.

Here's a document from your senate describing the bill.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Again, AT&T and Verizon and the like did not seem to have a single problem with rolling over and providing all sorts of illegal wiretap information a few years back. And again, they run most of the backbones, so your dial-up lines? they could be shut off or blocked too. I bet they can already do it.

Don't doubt it for a second. Just was giving my thoughts to the question at hand. That would be logical next step if they wanted to curb information access. Otherwise, as I mentioned, that would be one way to still deliver information using your computer. ~shrugs~

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I was reading about this awhile back and... piratebay was it, was thinking of a way to just create a giant LAN pretty much that would bypass servers and connect computer to computer. Could work if you had enough people I suppose.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

Could we have our own um satellite-like receivers and transmitters and aircards? Sorta like a satellite relay but on the ground? And relay it down the line?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Well, something is in the works because they have been building shielded data base back-ups in strategic locations across the country. From a rumor I heard there is one facility that takes up a whole city block in Savannah. The crews building these facilities are from one company based out of Denver and they travel the US building the facilities. I suppose this keeps it on the quiet side so locals are not aware of it.

Anyway, just the fact that it's being "advertised" seems to be that we are being given our pre-emptive "warning" like other things that have been shown and then happened.

This also follows the "scriptural" playbook. First there is an "earthquake" followed by a "silence in the heavens for one hour". Whether the earthquake is literal or figurative, I don't know. It could mean a great uprising. The "silence in the heavens" is most likely referring to the airwaves. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Couldn't you just use HyperTerminal to connect to an overseas web server and go from there?

When technology goes down, best to know how to do things old school.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Um you still need lines unless the computers are sitting next to each other. And even then you need a "line."

And again, most if not all telecom goes through the major providers' backbones. You could probably get sporadic and localized connectivity, but I'm pretty sure they can pretty much shut us down ICANN or not by going through these backbones, redundancy or not.

How do you figure the ISPs can keep running for a week though. Maybe I'm missing something.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I don't really know, I was just simply asking a question.

Couldn't you just plug a phone line into the built in modem on your computer and dial up an outside the country ISP and get online?

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Pretty sure that you need a backbone to GET to the outside the country ISP. Unless, again, you could bounce it off a satellite, but again I'm pretty sure they could shut those down too.

Also, a tidbit of info...the last time they introduced (or there was discussion of this bill) they said it was in case of emergency to keep the lines open for people working from home...you know...when no one was allowed out cuz of the swine flu epidemic.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I think it's more reasonable to assume that any "shut-down" would be SELECTIVE sites. And also a moritorium of not allowing the establishment of new sites, so therefore you could not have a rebirth of the shut-downs. Perhaps certain people who have been targeted would have their emails closed out and no new emails could be established after that time of shut down and sites like this one would go off air.

There is no way they would cripple the corporations that depend on internet for business.

I do think it would be selective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join