It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Connect to the Internet if the Switch is Flipped?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Is there any other way to connect to the internet if the President is given the power to switch it off and does?

There has to be another way.... an underground Internet, maybe?

The way the World is today anything is possible, might better be prepared.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I wouldent worry about it the Internet is joy just a server based in Washington it is worldwide sure Obama could cut access in the states but not world wide is a non story to be honest and. Laughable bill from a laughable senator

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by On the level

But, if he did.

I live in Florida, is there any other way for me to connect?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well in real life you need to pay someone, an ISP to connect. I know people can steal cable, but how do you steal the internet? I know you can connect to someone else's wifi, but what if everyone was down?

If you were your own service provider,( I know some people who somehow have they own servers and are their own provider), what could you do if the kill switch got pulled?

Even if you had your own servers what could you do?

You might have the equipment, but how can you connect to something that isn't there?

I am sure there may be internet frequencies still opperating out of other countries but I don't know if our equipment will work with them.

Maybe your servers could pick up on Canada's internet?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Obama couldn't kill the internet.

If all the US servers were somehow shut down, the internet would still be there. Only problem would be people outside the US trying to connect to US-based websites.

I don't have full knowledge on how this would work, but I'm pretty sure the government could only shut down government-owned servers.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I just wonder if the rest of the world would miss us.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If Obama "switched" the internet off, it would be extremely hard, if not impossible for Americans to connect to the internet and users around the world would be severely hampered. In fact, you would most likely need a radio connection that would go far enough outside of our borders to be able to connect and that is even if that connection allowed you to or you hacked into it. The sad thing is, many of the nodes for the entire internet are right here in America so for Obama to flip the switch, it would have dire consaquences around the world. Sure the internet is spread around the planet but the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers or ICANN, the maintaining organization of both Internet Protocol Addresses or IP addresses and the Domain Name System or DNS, are headquarted and ran in Marina Del Rey, California, United States.

If Obama turns off the internet, rest assured that the world would feel it and it would be almost impossible for Americans to connect, if not the world.

--airspoon

[edit on 19-6-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Satellite internet connection would be your best bet. Look into foreign satellite providers.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I doubt you could as far as getting websites up. I'm sure though that if you were old school hacker you could figure out how to get individual lines of information across phone lines.

Something that comes to me as something to bring up is from the movie "Live Free or Die Hard" supposedly the hackers are able to get onto an old something or other and the nerd boy was able to get on it with a cell phone. I'm not that intelligent in computers to know what he did or if it was based in reality, but I'm sure there are others that are so I'll throw that idea out.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

It still doesn't matter if you connected via satelite, as I've explained in my post up top that the organization ICANN, who oversees and maintains both the IP protocols and DNS is headquartered and ran in the US. The internet as we know it, really would be turned off from the world, depending on how Obama would actually turn it off. I suspect that he would really turn it off by turning off the web through DNS. Even without DNS, you can connect through IP addresses, though ICANN also maintains the IP protocols. Satelite connections would be useless for all practical purposes.

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I can just picture it now...

Three men enter a room after being given the order to shut down the internet. Each man carries a key. Each key must be turned at the same exact time. (Who knows what happens if they don't? End of the world?) Steam billows out of vents on the deep bunker's concrete walls as the men prepare to do their duty. A large red light spins in time with the hazard horn blaring in the background. The keys are inserted. Because of the deafening sound in the room, the men, coordinated by the one in the middle, rely on hand signals to count to three. One...two...three...

SHUTDOWN COMPLETE

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
So they would disconnect ICANN... but nobody else? What about the rest of the DNS servers around the world who hold their own cache for days on end. If all they did was drop ICANN it would take at least a week before DNS would become funky. They would also have to get the major backbone bandwidth providers on board to shut down their huge pipes. If they did that then we'd just have small pockets of networks around the states.

Maybe I could draw a diagram....

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
He'd probably cut access to main DNS servers, and then have the ISPs cut off service.

They might just try to cut traffic on certain ports. I dunno. THAT would be too easy to circumvent, it depends on how it is done.

How exactly it would work would be key to seeing what problems it would bring - IE there's a lot of businesses that depend on VoIP these days, as well as email.

Cutting off the Internet would be shutting down business in America.

Probably he's going after THE BIG power, so that he can THEN claim he should legitimately already have implied access to shutting down websites the govt doesn't approve of, or cutting off access to segments of the population.

Even the govt. itself couldn't function well without the Internet. White House probably couldn't plan a hugely outrageous party or order really rare, expensive beef without it.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If they're talking about it, then he already has the kill switch compliments of the NSA. And if Obama has it then you can rest assured that TPTB have it too.

It would probably be used in the event of evidence being presented that is monumental in its importance. Such as evidence of some kind of blatent criminal activity against the government that can not be denied.

Also in times of massive civil unrest, as in we go to war with Russia and China over Israel. You know, something that would piss just about all of us off to the Nth degree.

The internet blackout would of course be blamed on international terrorists shall I add.

Stuff like that.

[edit on 20-6-2010 by warequalsmurder]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
You all do know that the internet was developed for the military.I am sure the access to pull the switch is in place.

It is like the interstate highway system that everyone gets excited when they see military convoys on.

It was built for the military to move quickly around the country,not for citizens to cruise on.

We can shut down the world wide internet.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by warequalsmurder

I agree, it will be used in the event that some extremely damning piece of information comes out. It would also be used to prevent the American people from organizing in the event that a revolution appears to be in the works. It will also almost definitely be used when the government clamps down on the American people and takes all of our rights away under the guise of security, similar to how Hitler did it. Really, it won't be used for its intended purposes at all, rather it will be used in ways that are against the interests of freedom, liberty and the American people. There is absolutely nothing good about this "kill switch". The internet is our last bastion of freedom. It is the only way we have left to communicate and disseminate truthful and factual information. Without the internet, all we have left is the propaganda that is force fed to us through all other forms of media, such as radio and television. I would suggest that everyone start to learn ham radio operation, then ask the government for permission to operate a ham-radio. It's unfortunate, but we need to get the government's permission by licensing, to operate ham radios. I wonder why that is?

--airspoon

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
That many people do not understand is they can not shut down the Internet.
They can shut down IPs service providers to the public.

But the national electric grid runs over the Internet. people will DIE if that part of the internet was shut down. Shut down this part and the lights go out.

Also most hospitals that use electronic records are also over the internet.
People would DIE if that part of the Internet was shut down.

State agencies are connected over the Internet on dedicated lines.
DMV, social security, welfare departments, police departments all are connected to the internet.

The federal government is run over the internet.

Maybe someone on this site that works for a major service provider that handles government services can explain how the government can tell what connections are critical and can not be shut down and what are JOE blow on a home computer.

And how would the government shut down the public without shutting down any critical services.

once that part is identified there may be a way to reconnect for some of the public by way of there workplace.

the only other way to connect would be for people close to the border that could use phone connections to call dial up providers in other countries and connect that way.

and i know of ham radio operators that have connected with modems to there computers and sent photos and videos along with data.
they could link to hams in other countries to get news and other information into and out of the US.

Before the internet we had a system that some of us "phone phreaks" used to set up a site that we could all call and talk.
The same kind of system could be used as a dial up computer link.
someone out there still in the "H/P culture" might know how that could be used.
but phone line "bridge" connections could be used across the US to form a underground internet.
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 19-6-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
ISP's will stop providing. Nothing you can do about it. It won't be a switch so to say, it will be an executive order telling all internet providers to cease and desist.

My prediction...

Wiki-Leaks releases these cables or whatever, and the info is very damaging. Obama makes the call, "All your internetz belongz to us." Internet goes down. We tune in (via MSM) to find out what's going on. Top story, Small EMP/solar flare cuts out all the internet. Following day, Wiki-leaks founder found dead. Apparent suicide, with a note left behind. Cops won't release the note at this time. 1 week passes, we can log back on to ATS, top story is by someone claiming that Julian Assange (can't remember his name) was actually murdered. Wikileaks has been heavily edited, and the events become a conspiracy like The Oklahoma City bombing and a book on it written a while before it happened.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I actually made a thread about it a while back:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is the second or so third thread I have seen come up about this topic, but we have been thinking about this a few months ago already.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Still connect to the internet if the "Kill Switch" was ever thrown? Well, probably not what we consider as the internet as of now. But yes, there would still be a way to keep connected.

How many of us are old enough to remember before the WWW. Back in the days of dial up modems, Bulletin Board Systems and such. Many of the BBS services are still around, but now with internet access. Back then, e-mail was a new concept but still worked by connecting point A with point B through various means ( they even did multi-service games through these very connections )

Where there is a will, there is always a way. Somedays I kinda even miss the old BBS systems, although I enjoy my DSL speeds compared to back then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join