It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane levels 40% instead of normal 5% in Gulf - Scientists are Worried

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
A new article out today might inadvertently add some weight to Richard Hoagland's claim /theory/rumour of a methane bubble under the sea waiting to explode on some Armegeddon -type level. ...?

Hoagland warns of Gas Bubble and Tsunami of Biblical Proportions

According to oceanographer John Kessler the methane levels in the oil coming from the sea floor now are at 40 % compared to the normal 5% found in typical oil deposits.

Here's the full article , which doesn't talk about what Hoagland does but discusses another potential doom scenario ...

Associated Press Writers= NEW ORLEANS (AP) — It is an overlooked danger in oil spill crisis: The crude gushing from the well contains vast amounts of natural gas that could pose a serious threat to the Gulf of Mexico's fragile ecosystem.

The oil emanating from the seafloor contains about 40 percent methane, compared with about 5 percent found in typical oil deposits, said John Kessler, a Texas A&M University oceanographer who is studying the impact of methane from the spill.

That means huge quantities of methane have entered the Gulf, scientists say, potentially suffocating marine life and creating "dead zones" where oxygen is so depleted that nothing lives.

"This is the most vigorous methane eruption in modern human history," Kessler said. source

As you can imagine this is being discussed on many forums, and on one I found a post from someone who put together a list of methane-connected events occuring in the past two months alone. Here is what they wrote :

Gulf disaster- METHANE

Columbia mine disaster- METHANE
link

W. VA Massey Mine explosion- METHANE
link

Mexico explosion cause mile-long crack- METHANE
translate.google.com... =en

CT Kleen Energy massive explosion, killing many- METHANE
link

Texas natural gas refinery explosion - METHANE
link

There are more examples from the last 8 weeks or so, but you get the idea. Is it any surprise that one of the original apocalypse movies featured METHANE? "Mad Max" Thunderdome" lol. I never forgot that. Methane. It all comes down to that.

forum link where this issue is being talked about

Coincidence, or connected.............?

[edit on 18/6/10 by cosmicpixie]

[edit on 18/6/10 by cosmicpixie]

Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6/18/10 by niteboy82]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread has a lot of very good information from apacheman.

The Methane is the scariest part in my opinion. The largest extinction event in the history of the world was blamed on Methane.

Volcanic Methane gas trapped in lakes has killed 10,000's of thousands of people multiple times.

The Methane in the Gulf is silently creeping along the bottom of the Gulf and as the water temperature raises the more volatile the Methane becomes. If it all releases into its gas phase, we are talking about major tsunamis, oxygen depletion, and a lot of sunken ships. If the Methane ignites into a fireball then the devastation will be even worse!

Plus, the Methane is a major greenhouse gas.

Plus, the Methane is already depleting Oxygen and creating deadzones in the water.

Here is a blog from a University of Georgia professor monitoring water levels on the Gulf.

gulfblog.uga.edu...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Thank you for the info, I will now go and change my underpants.
second line.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I can see the thread title in a few months.

Where were you when Earth lit her Fart?

Joking aside. Nice find!

[edit on 18-6-2010 by awakentired]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by IcarusDeepSea
Thank you for the info, I will now go and change my underpants.
second line.

So the methane has reached your underpants eh?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Time to get on that bucket list!

Second Line.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Extinction Level Event?

First the Dinosaurs by a Rock

Then the Nephilim by a flood

Now Humans by Earth Sham's flatulence?

Gone with the Wind.....

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Does anyone remember the PLANET EARTH series when they showed the segment on sulfuric acid found in a cave in Mexico?

Here's a little description from the Discovery Channel...

"Another cave with even greater doses of acid is Mexico's Villa Luz Cave. In Villa Luz sulfuric acid forms from rotten-egg-smelling hydrogen sulfide gas that bubbles up in springs."

More about the cave...

en.wikipedia.org...

Sulfuric acid is the same as battery acid. It can burn through human skin on contact and is lethal if breathed into the lungs.

Hydrogen sulfide mixed with water and oxygen forms sulfuric acid. Only a tiny fraction of life on earth called extremophiles can exist in the presence of sulfuric acid. It kills everything else on contact.

More info...

______beforeitsnews/news/79/952/The_Gulf_Of_Mexico_Oil_Spill_Is_Making_A_Lot_Of_People_Really_Sick.html

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hm, could this set the atmosphere on fire, thus burning up all the oxygen?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios
Hm, could this set the atmosphere on fire, thus burning up all the oxygen?

No, but it could do this (which is not all that much better):

Scientific theory of Methane explosions in lakes (real documented example) and oceans.

[edit on 18/6/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
According to oceanographer John Kessler the methane levels in the oil coming from the sea floor now are at 40 % compared to the normal 5% found in typical oil deposits.

The hydrates at the bottom of the ocean are frozen methane. I would think that if massive amounts of warmer crude were continually gushing out that the crude could raise the temperature and therefore "unfreeze" the hydrates? This seems logical but I am no scientist.

I did find this article from 2005 talking about the pros and cons of "farming" these hydrates as an energy source: Flashback: Deep sea methane: Energy Saviour Or Impending Disaster?

One of the cons:

Normally, the pressure of hundreds of meters of water above keeps the frozen methane stable. But heat flowing from oil drilling and pipelines has the potential to slowly destabilize it, with possibly disastrous results: Melting hydrate might trigger underwater landslides as it decomposes. Scientists hypothesize, in fact, that 8,000 years ago, decomposing hydrate helped to generate a gigantic landslide under the North Sea. The resulting tsunami scoured the Norwegian fjords and scattered seafloor sediment across Holland and Scotland. While no one is predicting that drilling could catalyze an event of such catastrophic proportions, an underwater slide in an oil field could cause enormous environmental damage from oil spills that couldn't be easily stopped.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

The Methane is the scariest part in my opinion. The largest extinction event in the history of the world was blamed on Methane.

That was due (or thought to be due) to massive releases of frozen methane hydrates (clathrate) - there is nothing to indicate that such massive releases will come from this oil leak. And although, geologically, such releases in the past have been sudden, that still means over the course of thousands of years. So I shouldn't worry on that score.

And I'm not aware of any large methane hydrate deposits in the vicinity of the leak - though admittedly haven't checked.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

The Gulf has a very large frozen methane and brine "lake." It is an odd sort of thing resembling another "ocean" beneath the ocean, complete with shorelines and waves and special critters that scurry from beneath the surface of the brine lake and onto the "shore" beneath the water.

Anyhow, the Gulf does have many frozen Methane deposits, but my concern is more with the dissolved Methane in the water itself. The methane coming from the leak is dissolved at the high pressures of the deep water. The water can hold a significant amount of dissolved methane, but as the water warms, the methane becomes less stable. There have been many reports around the world of volcanic lakes "exploding" when dissolved methane suddenly turns to gas and erupts from the lake. It can be triggered by heat or seismology or just saturation. If it occurs, it will create a tsunami in all directions as well as a deadly cloud of oxygen depleted atmosphere. All of that if the methane simply "expands" without "igniting." If it ignites, then the situation is infinitely worse!

Maybe not extinction level, but I am 15 miles from the coast, so my town could certainly be extincted.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by awakentired
I can see the thread title in a few months.

Where were you when Earth lit her Fart?

Joking aside. Nice find!

[edit on 18-6-2010 by awakentired]

That would be one gigantic blue angel. Sounds vaguely prophetic...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This ties in exactly with what i was trying to say in this thread, but no 1 seemed to listen and just laugh it off.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you watch this video and listen to what this guy is saying, he refers to what the op has just shown us on this thread,
Regarding the methane gas explosion/release.
www.youtube.com...

The guy in the video also has a brief explanation which also ties into what EvolvedMinistry was saying in this thread, how the bankers are after the gold and money due to the oil disaster etc www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Did you watch the video above? It show a real example of one of those lakes that exploded.

I do hope that's not something we'll have to deal with. It certainly would be a devastating thing to happen, especially being 15 miles from the coast. Keep up with the news from all sources as they probably wouldn't announce the possibility of something like this.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Did you watch the video above? It show a real example of one of those lakes that exploded.

I do hope that's not something we'll have to deal with. It certainly would be a devastating thing to happen, especially being 15 miles from the coast. Keep up with the news from all sources as they probably wouldn't announce the possibility of something like this.

No, I can't see videos from work. I will watch it tonight when I get home. Thanks for posting it though, people need to be aware that this is not rare or fantasy. It happens, and it is devastating, and it is currently building and building below the Gulf of Mexico!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
For anybody looking to depress themselves further today, there is some good information in the following article about the damage caused by methane and how exactly it can wipe us all out.

Methane catastrophes have occurred several times in Earth's history, and when they have occurred, they have sometimes caused abrupt changes in the history of life, and at least one significant extinction. That extinction, at the end of the Permian Period 250 million years ago, is the greatest in the history of life. More than 90% of the then-existing species perished, and the course of life on Earth was altered forever.

The onset of a methane catastrophe would be abrupt because it could be initiated by a major submarine landslide, which can happen in a matter of days or even hours, or by the venting of vast quantities of seafloor methane over a period of decades.

If the deep ocean becomes fully anoxic (devoid of oxygen), it will also become toxic, as the remaining anaerobic organisms pump out the deadly gas hydrogen sulfide. In sufficient quantities, that gas could escape oceanic confinement to poison the atmosphere and, combining with the iron in the blood's hemoglobin, kill terrestrial organisms, including us.

Major anthropogenic global warming by carbon dioxide and possible methane catastrophe will be events more cataclysmic than any that can befall Earth, except for an impact with a giant asteroid or comet, or a stellar explosion in our neighborhood of the Milky Way. These other events, however, are quite rare and unlikely in our immediate future.

...and to think people are wasting their time looking for Niburu. The more immediate danger appears to be from below, not above.

Source:
www.killerinourmidst.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

when you say a tsunami in all directions, do you mean all around the world or just around the area in question. I'm in the UK about 8 miles from the nearest beach but there are dozens of becahes 40 miles away from me

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
This is why they can't nuke the oil...if they nuke the oil it will trigger a methane chain reaction.

But if they don't nuke the oil, it will eventually fill the entire atlantic!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join