It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Methane levels 40% instead of normal 5% in Gulf - Scientists are Worried

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I just came across an interview with Dr Deagle who echoes Hoagland's claims towards the last half. When it was pointed out that what he was saying was much like what Hoagland said, Deagle claimed he knew nothing about what Hoagland had said and this info had come to him via scientists he'd been talking to. Take it as you will.....

[yvid]
[/yvid]

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dynamitrios
Hm, could this set the atmosphere on fire, thus burning up all the oxygen?

Technically, only the methane burns. The atmosphere provides the oxidizer, Oxygen. The methane (CH4) combines with Oxygen (O2) to make CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and H2O (water) and a gob (hillbilly scientific term) of heat. The process is actually called oxidative pyrolosis.
Methane combusts in a fairly narrow range of mixtures of 5 to 15%. So for every cubic foot of methane combusted, about 7 to 20 cubic feet of oxygen is used.
And for a forensic fact, to see if someone was asphyxiated with methane, look for an excess of aldehydes ((HCHO or H2CO) and formyl radicals using high performance liquid cchromatography.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So, lightning storms in the gulf could end up being one heck of a light show?

Or the burning off of the oil that they are now doing? That sounds like it could possibly get a little dangerous.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Tsunami would only be around the Gulf of Mexico. Other lasting effects like a cloud of oxygen depleted atmosphere or global warming, or altered weather patterns, or other fun stuff is sure to make it to the UK though. No worries, we won't leave you out!

I heard through some state sources yesterday that they expect the oil sheen to reach you guys by the end of August. It is confirmed in the Gulf stream, which means North Atlantic Current, which means North Atlantic aka you guys.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Remember a few weeks ago when the leak was going to be stopped with a box over it, and BP said it wasnt working due to ICE CRYSTALS? Now they tell us, "Oh we meant METHANE ICE CRYSTALS" Nice of them to, you know, not worry us about the possible Methane release that could kill possibly thousands. I am so glad they were worried enough not to worry us like that, WHEW, those BP guys are really nice! Thanks BP!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Okay, if Methane burns blue and all of this collected Methane were to ignite and make a giant explosion. Could this not be the Hopi's Blue Star Kachina event? Think if you were to see this in a vision. How would you explain it?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The Gulf wont put out anywhere near the disaster of Centralia, Pennsylvania

Centrailia has been on fire for over 45 years, the government couldnt stop it and as media slowly stopped reporting on it, the american people forgot about it.

It will burn for next 200 years and cannot be stopped. It is much worse methane, co2, sulfur, etc producer than anything on earth at the moment.

en.wikipedia.org...

it makes the Gulf at the moment look like a simple kitchen milk spill.

but since media pulled out of Centralia and the herd out of sight out of mind mentality it's been forgotten.

But it will burn for 200 more years until it burns out. And has already been burning for over 45 years.

Gulf spill has nothing on it at the moment. The amount of gasses is insane, the habitat is dead and it's the basis of the Silent Hill stories.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
This is quite a disturbing thought. Reading about this reminded me of what happened in Cameroon in the '80s.

On August 21, 1986, possibly triggered by a landslide, Lake Nyos suddenly emitted a large cloud of CO2, which suffocated 1,700 people and 3,500 livestock in nearby villages.[2] Though not completely unprecedented, it was the first known large-scale asphyxiation caused by a natural event.

Lake Nyos Disaster

So, instead of CO2 asphyxiating many people, it will be methane instead. We should be very concerned.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Oh great more good news!

Methane is my least favorite chemical compound, it is 25% worst than Carbon Dioxide for the Earth's atmosphere.

Goodbye Ozone! Hello skin cancer from the 2013-Solar Maximum.

Now we know why TPTB built all those D.U.M.B.s, I wonder if I'll get an entry ticket?

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cito
The Gulf wont put out anywhere near the disaster of Centralia, Pennsylvania

Centrailia has been on fire for over 45 years, the government couldnt stop it and as media slowly stopped reporting on it, the american people forgot about it.

It will burn for next 200 years and cannot be stopped. It is much worse methane, co2, sulfur, etc producer than anything on earth at the moment.

en.wikipedia.org...

it makes the Gulf at the moment look like a simple kitchen milk spill.

but since media pulled out of Centralia and the herd out of sight out of mind mentality it's been forgotten.

But it will burn for 200 more years until it burns out. And has already been burning for over 45 years.

Gulf spill has nothing on it at the moment. The amount of gasses is insane, the habitat is dead and it's the basis of the Silent Hill stories.

www.eoearth.org...

There are underground coal seam fires that have burned for 2,000 years and all over the world. Marco Polo documented seeing them on his trip to China. These fires though potentially nasty haven't caused anything earth changing.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Is there ANYWHERE on earth that we will be safe?????
I live in s. illinois and i am already panicking about the new madrid quake/landslide to the gulf..You guys have me so stressed out about all of this..

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Regardless of the information i think it's wrong to listen to Hoagland. The man has predicted so many horrible incidents that never came to pass he should be written off as a time wasting scumbag. If you predict something every other week then you are going to be right sometime, especially if you make your predictions around ongoing disasters.

Do not listen to Hoagland, a false prophet is often right once in their lifetime. That one time may save lives but the other 500 false claims cause true suffering.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This discussion may lend some credence to a Scribd article I ran across from the "AESOP Institute" that discusses the potential dangers associated with extreme increases in the level of methane gas in the atmosphere:

"TICKING TIME BOMB (With an Urgent Update)"

There are several other articles listed at the top of that page that also unfortunately paint some very grim "worst-case" scenarios:

"LIFE THREATENING DANGER 6-18-10"

(unfortunately, that's a link to the site's main index page so the article listed above may change with further updates to the site)

And possibly more importantly, a follow-up by the author of the second article:

"WHAT TO DO! (6-18-10 Update)"

These articles appear to be from reputable sources, but someone with more background information may want to verify their credentials/claims.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Oh its #in hot too! Look at the storms in Arkansas and elsewhere. I would say +7 degrees from normal here in the Ozarks!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
OK, this guy keeps calling upon the Revelation, otherwise it makes a lot of sense.

www.america-in-prophecy.org...

Basically, as the oil is being pumped out, water is being pumped in - to compensate. There are huge chambers/layers with oil, which are all connected, which also contain methane. Water from lakes is being depleted, and through abandoned drilling places, air is being sucked in. Air (oxygen) + methane = BOOM! And that is a HUGE kaboom!

These chambers stretch, and are all connected, through mid-west USA, from Canada down to Mexico.

In places such as south Texas, oil formations are much deeper, and do not generally pose the problem we will be discussing. However: .Should our shallower natural gas reserves ever become ignited, .them being deeper won't make any difference,. because literally everything on the North American Continent would either explode, or burn.

(because of the oxygen sucked in and mixed with methane, which means it doesn't even need to leak out from the earth.

One can easily see that with the water in the aquifer depleted by farmers using it for irrigation, the energy company's "replacement" water is constantly being drawn downward, thereby creating a partial vacuum in the Natural Gas Reserve above it, which then sucks oxygen into the reserve from the surface of the earth.

This text is rather on the long side, but is very interesting (and scary). It also mentions Centralia and gas explosions which occurred in Hutchinson, Kansas.

On the left is the Wedding and Party Supply Store just after the gas explosion. On the right is a photo of several firemen in protective gear as they helplessly watch the fire that ensued after a mobile home park exploded from the very same natural gas leak.

However, the mobile home park was three miles away from the exploded store, which demonstrates that natural gas most definitely does move laterally through cracks and crevices in the earth, and documents that which we will now demonstrate is potentially the most horrendous threat any nation on earth has ever had to contend with.

Some will claim natural gas requires EXACTLY fourteen percent oxygen to support an explosion, others will tell you twenty one percent. But let them try telling their absurd "exactly fourteen percent or twenty one percent oxygen" defense to the thousands of people who lost their homes due to natural gas explosions last year, because gas escaped into the ATMOSPHERE, in their house.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

We know there are 'some' large interconnected pathways and caverns below the surface. We know this by studying water aquifers and cave systems. We also know that a lot of mining has been done and left a lot of abandoned caverns. (This is very common where I am from in the midwest. Some caverns extend for 50 miles or more and connect one town to another. i.e. Picher, Oklahoma / Galena, Kansas / Joplin, Missouri.)

BUT! Not all wells have water pumped back into them. For instance any pressureized reserve such as the one spewing in the Gulf is not getting anything pumped back into it.

I don't think there is the potential for a large earth fracturing Methane explosion. We already have plenty of Volcanic and Seismic activity that would set these types of events off. The Oil Drilling is not significant when compared to Earthquakes and Plate Tectonics and Volcanic Activity.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot
Extinction Level Event?

First the Dinosaurs by a Rock

Then the Nephilim by a flood

Now Humans by Earth Sham's flatulence?

Gone with the Wind.....

all because of greed and corruption. YAY!

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Kessler is a straight-up scientist of excellent reputation (and an all around good guy imho). Trust what he says.

Trust nothing BP says.

Also, pay attention to Joye -- she has something there that needs wider attention.

posted on Jun, 18 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Somebody mentioned abiotic oil and I wasn't that versed in the theory so I looked it up. It is a viable theory, and one that is not in contrast with "biotic" oil or oil from decomposing biomass.

Now, I am not trying to enter that debate, both scenarios seem possible and not mutually exclusive, so I don't really care who is correct, but the quote below got my attention:

www.physicsforums.com...

www.energybulletin.net...

More to the point, Gold also claimed the existence of liquid hydrocarbons—oil—at great depths. But there is a problem with this: the temperatures at depths below about 15,000 feet are high enough (above 275 degrees F) to break hydrocarbon bonds. What remains after these molecular bonds are severed is methane, whose molecule contains only a single carbon atom. For petroleum geologists this is not just a matter of theory, but of repeated and sometimes costly experience: they speak of an oil “window” that exists from roughly 7,500 feet to 15,000 feet, within which temperatures are appropriate for oil formation; look far outside the window, and you will most likely come up with a dry hole or, at best, natural gas only. The rare exceptions serve to prove the rule: they are invariably associated with strata that are rapidly (in geological terms) migrating upward or downward. (4)

Below 15,000 feet the chemical bonds of hydrocarbons are broken down from heat and pressure to the point that only Methane still exists? The Deep Horizon well is at approximately 30,000 feet! So, it stands to reason that the reservoir would be MOSTLY Methane!

Now, another part of that article stated that modern drilling techniques cannot penetrate igneous and seditary rock beyond 16,000 feet because the drill bits and tubing get too hot and melt/break or whatever.

So, why would we be drilling into this extremely hostile environment looking for crude oil that is theorized to not even exist at such depths? The two links that I posted seem to be neutral, but the existence of oil at 30,000 feet seems to support the abiotic theory, and if the abiotic theory is not correct then it means BP knew it was going to encounter MOSTLY METHANE at that depth.

What am I missing here? Were they drilling intentionally for Methane, or do they believe the abiotic theory?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join