It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans (and others) What is your PROBLEM!???

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The company is British, but I certainly don't blame the British. BP is about as British as any other oil company. They are massive conglomerates that belong to no one but themselves and share holders.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

BP is an American company.... as much as they are a British one.

www.bp.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by nixie_nox

BP is an American company.... as much as they are a British one.

www.bp.com...

It won't work. I have tried and failed and many on this board still don't understand the fact that BP is an Anglo-American company.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Maybe your not very good with international law? As I already said the company is registered in london, england THEREFORE TECHNICALLY its a british company regardless of who owns what shares.

How hard is it for people to understand that? Not to mention the majority of shareholders are british, by one percent, which mildely re-affirms what I say.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Maybe your not very good with international law? As I already said the company is registered in london, england THEREFORE TECHNICALLY its a british company regardless of who owns what shares.

How hard is it for people to understand that? Not to mention the majority of shareholders are british, by one percent, which mildely re-affirms what I say.

You are a perfect example of the ignorance that swarms across this site. Good night and good luck.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Surely 51% > would be the majority? as it stands 40% British - 60% Johnny Foreigner?

Maybe it is registered in London, but the reason it is usually referred to as BP is not because thats the short way of saying British Petroleum, but because, as I have said before, like most things that were once British, it is no longer owned by the British, but a wide variety of power hungry, money grabbing eejits worldwide.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
It's primarily and Anglo-American company.... but I really don't see how the country the company is registered in or even the supposed "nationality" of the company has anything to do with the issue.

People are saying about BP not being British mainly because there are a lot of Anti-British sentiments on this site and in America in general.
This company, as most companies now, is a multi-national.

The issue is not whether the company is British or American.... the issue is how to clean up the mess and what kind of lasting effect this will have on our planet.

I find it pathetic and offensive that people keep saying It's a British thing and that BP are a British company.... they're not.
Even Obama and Congress have been at it... It's pathetic.
As another poster said on another thread.... it's as British as British Columbia... it may have once been owned by the British, but is now a multi-national company.

Let's leave nationalities out of this disaster and focus on the issues.

Unless people actually have some kind of issue with the British?

[edit on 17/6/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

No buddy, unlike you and the OP I have no reason to cover-up anything.

I am here to learn and spread truth but good luck with whatever it is your trying to accomplish! As others have said we are blaming BP not the british population.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Where is this anti-British sentiment? On this thread, and on other threads where it has come up the OVERWHELMING majority of people are saying that they are blaming BP and NOT the British people.

Sure, the Obamament and MSM are doing some muck-raking, but so is the British MSM by insinuating that Americans are angry at the British people.

News: I assure you a lot of Americans, unfortunately, don't really care one way or another. A lot of other Americans do care, and, like on this forum blame BP, and not the British people. As for Gulf Coast residents, they no doubt blame BP, but are probably pre-occupied with figuring out what they're going to do with their lives to survive (in the sense of relocating, finding new employment, money loss from loss of employment or having to abandon property)...

I get it, A lot of British Pensioners are losing a big chunk of their pensions, or at the very least are worried that they will. That sucks.

Lets say you live in a town where the law enforcement is corrupt and turns a blind eye to Meth cooks. So, you decide to invest money with one of these Meth cooks (who are working out of RV's... and cutting corners in regards to safety to make as much product in as little time as possible). One day, one of these Meth labs explode, killing a child, family, whoever. Now the police decide that to save face they need to crack down on Meth cooks. Does it then make sense to get mad at the police because their cracking down on a dangerous operation means that you lose your investment capital?
Investing is gambling. Don't gamble with money you can't afford to lose.

But mostly, Americans, Canadians, Argentinans (Argentinians? Argentinites? Argentinese?), NO one is blaming, or angry at, the British people. Why do you and the OP keep insisting that we are?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by FuzzyDunlop

Its the mainstream media that is trying to make it the brits versus the americans and obama gave them the green light to do so.

From a non-legal standpoint I actually put more blame on the US Minerals Management Service for overlooking safety issues than I put on halibutron, bp and transocean. BUT---

BP operated the transocean rig therefore the ultimate responsibility lies with them. A good example is if a ship sinks while the captain is sleeping, the captain is still primarily responsible even if it was the helmsman's fault for being goofy.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SSimon
reply to post by dampnickers

The Rig was built by Hyundai.

A recall is out of the question i guess

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Why is it so hard for you to accept that BP is a British company?
All companies have to declare a nation for tax and legal purposes. Therefore, BP is a British company, albeit an international one in scope. Happy?

[edit on 17-6-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
seriously for the last time..

NOONE is blaming the british .....

the fact that BP has British in the name should be irrelevant..

I am american, i do not blame the british as a people nor do anyone else i speak with in my personal life, to insinuate that is the case is just pandering to patriotic chest thumping..

can we please just let this thread and others like it die..

~meathead

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Agreed typical American way of dealing with a problem PANIC, MAKE IT WORST THAN IT ALL READ IS, TURN IT INTO A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE, SCREAM & SHOUT, POINT FINGERS AT OTHERS, HELP OMG WORLD PLEASE HELP WE ARE ALL DYING, DOOM IS UPON US,

Its driving me f**king nuts now TBH. its like cancer spreading the entire website & forums and will no doubt kill it soon enuff. certainly wont be visiting again until this crap & BP bashing is done or "at least" of the front page

Wot really pisses me of is hearing any American cry about an oil spill (I MEAN WTF), its just gods way of saying oh you want more, more oil yeah?...OK here you go get it off your beaches you GREEDY greedy people,

This oil leak would have been really unfair should it of happened anywhere else in the world, in the eyes of the world this happened to the right people/country, enjoy and please in future try to give a # about the rest of the world you destroy and we may do the same in return,

I mean i was really sympathetic at first, but when you see all this scapegoating of BP on tv it just really grinds my gears seeing big fat people tearing into some poor BP guy, i mean are you guys dumb??? your the biggest oil guzzlers in the world if BP couldn't keep up with your demands & dependence on oil (WHICH WE DON'T NEED ANYWAY) your entire nation would grind to a rusty hult and oh look BP get the blame again.

Why don't you try channel some of that agression and start demanding a new cleaner means of energy from your government seems abit dumb biting the hand that feed you doesn't it, personaly i can't see how the members of this forum have been aloud to DENY IGNORANCE and have not pointed out wot the lesson actually is here, WAKE UP.

The fish will be back when the oil clears and the habitat soon after life is tougher than you think, mother nature heals much much quicker than you think also she will bounce back bigger & better for sure, and the same can be said with this forum but right now its dieing on its ass and i shall be back when this s**t clears

Rant over

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

.... Why is it that some posters, and most probably members from Europe and other countries immediately vote for threads that try to put the blame on Americans?... Did you people not read that BRITISH PETROLEUM OFFICIALS, and the BRITISH PETROLEUM COMPANY MAN were the ones to cause this?....

Americans were thrown from the rig for bringing up safety measures which BRITISH PETROLEUM circumvented...yet you want to claim it was because of Americans and not because of BP?...

This is nothing more than another "let's bash the Americans" thread...

Yes DENY IGNORANCE and read about who decided to circumvent the safety measures which should ALWAYS be kept.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LarryLove

I agree, this site has turned into a pile of s*** recently. No one caring for the facts and everyone wants to spew hate and anger from their online soapboxes.

Time to change.

This site has turned into $hit lately eh? And how long have you been coming here?

Let's see 3/16/2010, today is the 17th of June, so you've been here for 3 months. I don't think you have the right to claim what you did; I think you need to be around a bit longer to understand how this website works.

And to the OP - you really are ignorant. I don't think BP is just to blame here, but they are taking responsibility and it is their fault since their name is plastered all over this and this accident happened. Just because Americans were working on this rig or whatever doesn't mean it's their fault does it? BP are the ones who should be making sure anything with their name on it is safe, not to mention all their projects are fully supported by the company, correct?

Your point was made, but it was a waste of time to even make a thread about.

I'm getting tired of these threads... people are trying to gain some stars and flags by going against the main stream ATSer's here about how they feel about this spill.

REGARDLESS of whomever is at fault - this IS a disaster. Stop trying to make it anything less, and stop trying to put blame on one person or another, and just accept that it's happened and that BP needs to do something about it ASAP.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BRITWARRIOR

Americans "destroying the world"?...
Wow, and a BRITISH making this claim....
You want to leave the forums GOOD, go back to your pub and keep drinking, obviously you wrote that BS being drunk... You are forgetting the history of your own country, and the fact that BRITISH companies, and others from around the world have caused as much, if not more destruction. More so since Britain has been around for far longer than the U.S. has...

Go ahead and go crying to your barkeeper that "Americans are blaming BP" for something one of YOUR companies caused...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
BP was running the show so they take responsibility.

Maybe hyundai built it badly
maybe haliburton did the cementing wrong
maybe the North Koreans blew it up with a torpedo from a sub.

regardless of any of that, BP was in charge of it and they should have done a better job protecting our natural resources.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
TITLE 33 > CHAPTER 9 > SUBCHAPTER I > § 407
Prev | Next § 407. Deposit of refuse in navigable waters generally
It shall not be lawful to throw, discharge, or deposit, or cause, suffer, or procure to be thrown, discharged, or deposited either from or out of any ship, barge, or other floating craft of any kind, or from the shore, wharf, manufacturing establishment, or mill of any kind, any refuse matter of any kind or description whatever other than that flowing from streets and sewers and passing therefrom in a liquid state, into any navigable water of the United States, or into any tributary of any navigable water from which the same shall float or be washed into such navigable water; and it shall not be lawful to deposit, or cause, suffer, or procure to be deposited material of any kind in any place on the bank of any navigable water, or on the bank of any tributary of any navigable water, where the same shall be liable to be washed into such navigable water, either by ordinary or high tides, or by storms or floods, or otherwise, whereby navigation shall or may be impeded or obstructed: Provided, That nothing herein contained shall extend to, apply to, or prohibit the operations in connection with the improvement of navigable waters or construction of public works, considered necessary and proper by the United States officers supervising such improvement or public work: And provided further, That the Secretary of the Army, whenever in the judgment of the Chief of Engineers anchorage and navigation will not be injured thereby, may permit the deposit of any material above mentioned in navigable waters, within limits to be defined and under conditions to be prescribed by him, provided application is made to him prior to depositing such material; and whenever any permit is so granted the conditions thereof shall be strictly complied with, and any violation thereof shall be unlawful.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dampnickers

It is humanity that is to blame. It is all of us, our dependence on oil, and refusal to demand cleaner forms of technology. Greed is to blame, and our refusal to be selfless. We are to blame for not encouraging one another to buy a bycicle, or to walk to work, instead of using the car. For buying a polyvinylchloride waterproof coat instead of a natural fibre one.

Yet another post blaming humanity. Oh woe is man! This is not humanity's fault for using a resource, but i will agree that it is due to greed... of a small group of men who put larger profits before safety. This falls not on a nation or a government. This falls on BP. Regardless of who built it, who owned, whatever, as far as we know BP was running the show & calling the shots. This falls on their shoulders. Stuff your "evil humanity" up your bung hole.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join