It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Message for all the Apathetic People on ATS Posting that the spill isn't a Big Deal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Yes, it's an enormous deal. I've also been amazed by the "calm down...it's no bug deal" threads. The news is getting out that the well casing itself is badly fractured, and that the only hope are the relief wells, but that drilling only two is a mistake since there is a good chance that they will miss their mark. I refer any doubters to this article about a thread on the industry-insider site Oil DRum:

motherjones.com...

Also, it is now clear to me that the Obama administration and BP have known about the severity of this from the start. I think a decsison was taken to incrementally raise the estimated gallon per day figures slowly over time, instead of hitting the public with an crazy huge fugure all at one. Expect the number to double again in the next week or so.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

Very good post!- Starred and Flagged.

Apathy is growing stronger everyday.

It's good to see though, a lot of people, still care

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

The earth is our mother. She should not be disturbed by hoe or plough. We want only to subsist on what she freely gives us. Our fathers gave us many laws, which they had learned from their fathers. These laws were good. I have carried a heavy load on my back ever since I was a boy. I realized then that we could not hold our own with the white men. We were like deer. They were like grizzly bears. We had small country. Their country was large. We were contented to let things remain as the Great Spirit Chief made them. They were not, and would change the rivers and mountains if they did not suit them.

www.greatdreams.com... (link has music)

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

Yes, back more than 40 years ago when I was a kid in school, we were also taught that the Amazonian rainforests supplied a large percentage of our atmospheric oxygen. You are right to raise this point as we shouldn't lose sight of it. The combination of negative forces at work here is compounding matters alarmingly.

The fact is, though, we were wrongly taught back in our school days if the focus was on the Amazon and similar large, forested regions. They are certainly highly important, but there is an even more important source of atmospheric oxygen that often seems to get overlooked: our oceans.

Around 70% of the world's atmospheric oxygen comes from the oceans, with a fair chunk of that deriving from phytoplankton photosynthesis. Best estimates are that around 50% of all the world's atmospheric oxygen derives from this one source (meaning that the phytoplankton are not the only marine source of oxygen). The other 30% of our planet's atmospheric oxygen is derived from other sources, the forests in Sth America and also the vasts tracts of forest in Russia being a significant part of that. But 70% comes from the oceans.

I could post numerous links to back this up, but all anyone has to do is search "70% of oxygen comes from oceans" and they will get many, many hits that link to learned and reliable sites, most of which will cite the above percentage. Some even claim up to 80% but if we go with the typical 70% figure, we are not likely to be far wrong.

So here's the concern: if something has a significant impact on those phytoplankton, reducing their ability to capture sunlight and/or reproduce themselves, then their oxygen output will proportionately reduce. While it's doubtful that the current oil/gas leak in the GOM will create enough pollution to pollute all of the world's oceans, it doesn't have to. A combination of a few percent drop in ocean-based oxygen production combined with an increase in atmospheric methane levels could be very harmful for many species -- including ours.

This is especially pertinent when we consider that warm-water ocean areas tend to have a greater ability to produce this oxygen, for the simple reason that the phytoplankton like warmer and sunny conditions. The GOM is one of those regions where these plants thrive, and is probably part of the reason for its abundance of sea life.

Best regards,

Mike

EDIT to add: to the OP -- my apologies! I also wished to thank you for your post. S&F! This is indeed a grave problem, especially if this leak cannot be stopped and the pollution continues to spread. The above comments I've made are just a pointer to another worry we might have to deal with.

[edit on 17/6/10 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatsup
The reason that there are people for whom this oil spill is not a big deal, is because there are people who due to their narcissism and solipsism, view only THEMSELVES as a big deal (and to hell with the environment, the people's way of life, the suffering and destruction of all the wildlife etc). IT IS A FRICKEN BIG DEAL to those with an ounce of humanity!

[edit on 16-6-2010 by whatsup]

Sounds like you are talking about yourself?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

It's hard to make this post without being gripped by anger at the enemies of our planet and feeling the need to lash out at them, but the rest of us need to band together against those whose sit idly by while the earth dies, or choose to try to profit from it, like our finnish friend and JW, etc.

I just wanted to repost what the OP said here. I would also like to repost a reminder to all of us..

Only when the last tree has been cut down; Only when the last river has been poisoned; Only when the last fish has been caught; Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Native American Quote

We have to remember that the Me, Me, Me, corporate minions have invaded the internet (and especially ATS). It time for the rest of us to decide whether we want to give what little is left over to narcissists, or reclaim it for the sake of ourselves and our fellow passengers on this planet (of whom we are decimating). Of course, we are certainly all guilty of selfishness in regards to how our materialistic ways have added to this problem.

[edit on 17-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
Yes, this oil spilll is a huge tragedy, for all of life.

People who say "So what" are extremely ignorant.

"ignorant" -- Can you see the future? Do you know that someone won't stop the leak?

Perhaps it is you who are ignorant?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I can see the future, and it is filled with a generation of Me, Me, Me's who don't give a damn that we are devastating the life which has evolved on this planet over 100's of millions of years. Furthermore, they don't give a damn about our children and grandchildren which will have to live with the consequences which we have created of an over crowded, toxic, lifeless planet.

I don't have any grandchildren or children, but for the life of me, I can't understand how those that do, can sleep at night knowing what is coming on this earth as a result of our actions (and I am certainly not just referring to this one oil spill!).

[edit on 17-6-2010 by whatsup]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by kadyr80

So well spoken! Not certain why your thread was removed... but it would be for the same reason that I would be removed.
When you Flash White Hot, like I do, regarding this life event, well it goes without saying... it needs to be realized, dispite the words!

Thank you for being you! That's real!

Be Wise!
Be Well!
Be there!

Jessemole!

[edit on 17-6-2010 by jessemole]

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The original post strikes me as sensationalist garble. From the rampant personification of the earth to all the nonsense about the leak even remotely being unfixable. Hippie-style nonsense, if you ask me.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
As has been posted by others, this kind of thing has happened before on a similar scale. Why does the OP think that this time it will transpire to be an "Extinction Level Event"?

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Fiscal

Well there is a commit that could warrent a reply, and it's tough not wanting to put your insight right! I flash white hot when I see/read such a thought.
However, words prove the Man's worth.. Just trying to stay positive! I'll go no further here on my opinion!

Jesse.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by pompeypete
As has been posted by others, this kind of thing has happened before on a similar scale. Why does the OP think that this time it will transpire to be an "Extinction Level Event"?

This kind of thing has not happened before -- under 5,000 feet of water, huge pressures, cracked casing, etc. If the flow can't be stopped, it is an event of biblical proportions.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Some things to consider..

Beneath the Surface: What Obama Is Overlooking in the Gulf
www.commondreams.org...

Also, I have been wondering why environmental groups (which used to come screaming out of the woodwork) have gone strangely silent. Maybe this is why..
www.globalresearch.ca...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kadyr80

Originally posted by brutalsun
So OP do you have supporting facts that this in fact a ELE? Are there species RIGHT NOW that have gone extinct because of this event?
Lets put this in to context. (not trying to belittle the OP's opinion of this disaster, just trying to put perspective on this)
As of right now the animal death toll that we know of is:
679 dead birds
296 dead turtles
37 mammals
www.nola.com...

In comparison the Valdez our other most catastrophic environmental disaster:
35,000 dead birds (estimated to actually be 250,000 but most sank to the bottom of the sea bed)
1,000 sea otters (2,800 estimated again)
300 harbor seals
250 bald eagles
22 killer whales
and billions of salmon and herring eggs.
www.cbsnews.com...

I'm just not seeing the Extinction level event transpiring here, the same measures were taken (dispersants, surfactants and solvents, mechanical cleanup etc.) Granted we will not know the full extent of the damage until 1. the leak is stopped and 2. full cleanup is made.

I can't provide the proof because those facts are being hidden and won't be available for who knows how long. But if you want to base your argument on valdez, then think about this.
The deepwater spill is releasing an equal amount of oil to the valdez spill every 7 days. Now... How long has it been now? Let's just say several valdezspills are now in the gulf. So multiply your valdez Death toll by 3 4 5 and so on because this leak isn't stopping anytime soon. Every week is another valdez in the gulf. Clearly this is heading to extinction level for some if not all life in the gulf or further. Its very possible. Especially with a 1/5 volume of the gulf already poisoned.

All you have to do is look.
Coastline affected by valdez: 1,300 miles (not square miles)
Coastline affected by Deepwater: 120 www.breakingtravelnews.com...

I am not trying to say that this is no big deal... it's a big deal, it's shameful and we are all to blame... you are using a computer right now made with petroleum. But what I am saying is you are the guy on the street corner with the scraggly beard with the sign that reads "THE END IS NEAR". It's not, we also have proof that our wonderful gulf spills 3 or 4 valdez's a year ON IT'S OWN... www.sciencedaily.com...
no loss of life, no doom from you. You want to be constructive? Get off your lazy duff, come down here to the gulf and bring some dawn, do some good.

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I'm glad so many of you see things for how dire this is and how bad it might become. Inevitably this thread has been invaded by the apathetic people it speaks out against. No matter how many say it, it doesn't make it true.

Nothing like this has happened before.

Its a mile below the ocean.
Its leaking far more than they are telling us.
Its leaking underground and even if it could be capped it would blow out to the sides.
Oil does poison water.
There is far more natural gas leaking than oil and no even mentions that.
The chemicals now in the water will now enter our air supply, rainwater, possibly killing crops and more flora and fauna.
No one has any idea how much oil is down there but bp expected to be there decades. Its possible that it holds unimaginable gallons which truly may never stop leaking in our lifetimes.
This could and may already have killed off entire native species of plant and animal.
We don't have the current capability to stop this leak, no matter what obama, bp, or the mass media tells us.

While anything is always possible, the leak could stop tomorrow but I believe that is hoping for miracles. It won't happen. And I fear its here for a long time, dumping a valdez spill every few days...

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by etcorngods

oh come on now..what a joke of a statement....do you know this are are you repeating what WHAT YOU HAVE READ?...be honest now.......you have all read this,that is it,you are believing what you have been told,and what you have taken in on this internet..............otherwise you would be none the wiser..............its true......

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cantsee4looking

oh come on now..what a joke of a statement....do you know this are are you repeating what WHAT YOU HAVE READ?...be honest now.......you have all read this,that is it,you are believing what you have been told,and what you have taken in on this internet..............otherwise you would be none the wiser..............its true......

I've worked in the oil fields of Oklahoma. I've been on the Board of Directors of two oil companies (exploration and royalty companies) for ten years, and i've learned from lots of sourses since April 20, 2010.

"This kind of thing has not happened before -- under 5,000 feet of water, huge pressures, cracked casing, etc. If the flow can't be stopped, it is an event of biblical proportions."

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

like you say it hasent happened before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,everyone on here is making a right ole meal outta this oil leak..........its beyond a joke....all i hear is words like...BIBLICAL,SauNAMI,EXPLOSION,MASS EXODUS,DEADLY POISON.....what a joke..............i bet you this time in 3months time nothing has happened,and they are cleaning the oil up..............

posted on Jun, 17 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Since my original post was removed due to my implied choice of words, I figured I would try to fix my mistake.

You failed. And you are just another American Nationalist 'wailing' about how hard done by America is. Quit whining and get on with sorting things out like the rest of the world has to when American companies get away with causing disasters in the third world. You know this is true.

It is an extinction level event that quite possibly is already eradicating species from the Gulf's waters and is spreading by the day.

As a Geologist, I take offence to this comment. This is NOT an ELE (Extinction Level Event), this is an oil-based environmental catastrophe. Yes, lots of animals and plants will die. Yes, some humans may die. You will NOT see mass extinctions because of this. This is not a 'DECCAN TRAPS FISSURE ERUPTION'. This is not a 'SIBERIAN PLATEAU ERUPTION'. This is not a 'K-T BOUNDARY IMPACT EVENT'. This is not a .... the list goes on.

Get a grip Chicken Little - It's bad, but it's not THAT bad.

Parallex.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join