It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A Message for all the Apathetic People on ATS Posting that the spill isn't a Big Deal
• 80% of the nation’s coastal wetlands loss is occurring on Louisiana’s coast.
• Louisiana’s wetlands host one of the largest seafood nurseries in the nation.
• Louisiana’s wetlands host millions of migratory birds on their path through the Americas.
• The coastal wetlands and barrier islands are the natural line of defense against hurricanes and storm surges.
• 70% of Louisiana’s citizens live in this southern, coastal zone.
• Estimates indicate that every 2.7 miles of wetlands can absorb almost one foot of storm surge flooding, creating a natural buffer of protection for coastal communities.
• The continued loss of this natural buffer has led to massive land and marsh loss during tropical storms and minor hurricanes. A Category 3 or larger hurricane could result in another national catastrophe.
If the oil were able to saturate the entire Gulf, it would cease to be a problem at that point, because the environmental catastrophe would be gone.
Many animals that live in other habitats use wetlands for migration or reproduction. For example, herons nest in large old trees, but need shallow areas in order to wade for fish and aquatic life. Amphibians often forage in upland areas but return to the water to mate and reproduce
Just kill the wetlands and you can destroy any ecosytem on land and sea. They are sanctuaries for the majority of animals that exist. It is a nursery.
The oil doesn't have to disperse through the Gulf, it can do all the damage it needs to just on the shore.
As the fact stated above, Louisiana is the largest seafood nursery in the Nation.