It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

would you sell YOUR soul for your children?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Your soul is eternal- children's lives are temporary. You do the math.

No I would never sacrafice my soul for someone elses soul. Each soul is on their own journey. No matter what they mean to you.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by xynephadyn]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
i have no children - can i sell my alleged soul for a top of the range mercedes benz ?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
As a father of 4 i will have to say yes,without a doubt.

Regards to all

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
no. i guess i'm not a parent, but selling your soul is ridiculous. there's nothing on Earth that could justify it. not that I believe in the Devil anyway.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
My soul my wifes soul and my dogs soul...

For my children....anyday of the week and I will sign it in blood....

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hallooooo
no. i guess i'm not a parent, but selling your soul is ridiculous. there's nothing on Earth that could justify it. not that I believe in the Devil anyway.

I believe that planet earth is the literal hell, and planet earth is run by what we perceive to be the devil.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn
Your soul is eternal- children's lives are temporary. You do the math.

No I would never sacrafice my soul for someone elses soul. Each soul is on their own journey. No matter what they mean to you.

[edit on 15-6-2010 by xynephadyn]

Wise words. I don't think people realise the enormous difference between their life in the physical world and their eternal souls. It's very likely our existence in this physical world is a small part of our overall journey and people should not be selling something they do not fully understand.

[edit on 16/6/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
If I may make an assumption Dr. Slim. In your OP I think you are trying to assess the level of commitment most people feel toward their offspring, and it got a little side tracked on the perceived logistics of the deal rather than mostly dealing with the philosophical allegory posed.

We are genetically wired to sacrifice ourselves for our progeny at a certain level. Some seem to be in tune with this ancient wiring more than others. I think the wiring is getting frayed the last couple of generations it seems.

People who don't have kids, or even people who have fur kids really can't conceive of what the parental bond is like. Don't flame me fur kid parents, I routinely rescue Great Danes, and am a HUGE dog lover, pun intended. I have a fawn Dane right now with medical conditions that I love so much, I might would kill for this dog, however, If I had to decide between the dog, and my kids their would be no hesitation. The kids would trump the dog by a chasmic margin.
So without confusing the situation by over analyzing it. Yes, I would buy, sell, destroy, build, heal, kill, fix, or break anything, and everything to put my kids in a better circumstance. The other side of that coin being that I also realise that the term "better circumstance" is subjective, and that things don't grow, or become stronger without resistance. Their is a yin, and yang to it. The Tao of children you could say. I might break something to teach them to fix it. To deny them all hardship would indeed be abuse. To instill in them that they are thought of as so capable, and valuable that good things are expected of them. Then empower, and facilitate them to rise to the occasion.
My opinion is that you sold your soul when you had a child. You sold it to the spirit of parenthood. If you didn't shame on you, but it's never too late to sign that contract. If you are too self centered to sign that contract for heaven's sake don't have kids!!! Raising children is it's own reward. If you can't see how, don't have kids!!! Kids aren't supposed to complete you or fill an inner need. These are selfish motivations, and result in kids that have a misplaced purpose in life. You are not their purpose! They are yours. You owe it to them to be as smart, strong, capable, compassionate, and successful as you can be if for no other reason than a role model. It's a 24/7/365 job, and it's about equivalent to selling your soul, but it's a great deal! You get to make the future better by contributing a world changer.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
This is poorly worded question. Let me rephrase...

Would you sell your soul to the dark side, and be punished FOR ALL ETERNITY, in exchange for a guarantee that your children would have a nice, happy, eighty
year life on earth?

Hmmm, let me put some thought to it. All eternity....divided by 3, carry the
666, plus four, minus EVER seeing my children again, times a lake of fire (if
you're so inclined) divided by WTF???

Are you daft?

Or did you mean, would you trade your soul to guarantee that your children
wouldn't suffer an eternal punishment?

Either question is a no-brainer...
1. Absolutely NOT!
and
2. Absolutely YES!!

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie
reply to post by Dr Slim

All children are made on purpose.
A juggler tossing flaming torches understands he/she may get burned. Sure, they may say "it was an accident", but it was NO accident. Those flaming torches were thrown on purpose.
I am not saying both parties were in agreement, after all, even in my example, someone got "burned"...
After the child is born, the selfish life of the parent is OVER. That may not be selling your soul, but it is a pretty steep price to pay.

Not quite accurate (at least from my perspective).

My first child was born by a woman who told me her uterus had been
removed--It was a lie. Her own mother confessed to me, years later,
that her female parts were in fine order, and she, in fact, had visited a
fertility clinic to aid her chances of having me sire a child. While that
is not an accident on her part, by any means, it pretty much leaves me
out of the "on purpose" side of your argument.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by rival

I am very sorry rival. I have had a similar experience. This is a heinous thing to do to someone. It is selfishness incarnate for a woman to do this. This woman would be the target of my statement about children's purpose not being about you, the parent.
It happens more than people realise. Almost a third of the men I know have had a similar experience. The "Well it takes two..." argument doesn't wash either. Knowingly, and willfully misleading, and entrapping someone into a lifelong commitment is morally wrong. Women who do this should be very ashamed, and men that step up to bat to be good fathers anyway should be commended.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stewie After the child is born, the selfish life of the parent is OVER. That may not be selling your soul, but it is a pretty steep price to pay.

No, the selfish life of the parent is NOT over.
My child needs me, and I need me. I am the common thread, and I have to take care of myself in order to take care of my child.
That demands that, to some extent, I be selfish.
Just because I am "Mommy", does not mean that it encompasses all of who I am.
Ya damn right I take time for myself!!!!

However, I agree: Having a child is a high responsibility.

I work a job I hate, with a co-worker who drives me nuts, because it provides awesome health insurance.

I wake up whenever he cries... which has become every 1-2 hrs. And no matter how tired and grumpy and wonky I am, I get up and go to work... because he needs me to provide shelter & food.

I have a shortened attention span, "Mom-nesia", and a whittled down vocabulary thanks to him stealing my brain cells via hormonal upheavals during pregnancy/birth. Thus, I can't read novels like I used to, can't sit through an entire movie without being distracted, and constantly watch the Thought Train leave the station without me because I forgot to board.

All that being said, and returning to the OP: Am I willing to sell my soul for his happiness and success?

To a point, yes. I know how much I have given and will give to ensure that my offspring survives.
However, his overall happiness and success is relative to him and his choices.
In the meantime, I make sure to provide the entertainment that makes him happy and smiley -- I survive the endurance trials with cutie pie smiles.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Diseria

LOL!
How can you disagree with me, and then perfectly elaborate on what I wrote?
Did you misunderstand me?

You no longer have the luxury of being selfish, that is, thinking ONLY of yourself. I mean, you COULD pass the responsibility off to others (many do) if you are not willing to sacrifice your selfish desires.
I have raised two daughters, and have managed to keep them from getting pregnant before they are mature enough, and have more than mom and dad as their support group. We (wife and I) have convinced them that THEY WILL be their for theirs, like WE WERE for them.
Little time for selfish indulgences, huh?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
As if being glued to computer screen wasn't selling my soul enough.. talk about dribble, soulless grey area of living, drenched with options of areas of knowledge to surf, but no pain is no gain, just slow death in front of a mirror with fake light projected through a thin glass sheet.

p.s.- i just sold 5% more of my soul just to write this p.o.s. paragraph.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
If they can't get by on their own talents, what the # good was it for me to bring them into the world? Survival of the fittest, evolution and reincarnation work in tandem for a reason; The Darkside can kiss my as$.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by thaknobodi

Don't kid yourself and think that was a paragraph.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There is no way to "sell" your soul for your kids.
If you you think you can then that means you can buy their soul for a price.

There was only one that can "buy" us and Jesus already did that on the cross when He died on the cross for your sins and your kids sins.

The only way to save your kids is if they are born again through Jesus Christ.

I strongly suggest that you find a Bible believing Church and take your kids.

If you don't then you will regret it forever. If you don't take them to a Church then ask do you love them

Question: "What does it mean to be a born again Christian?"

Answer: What does it mean to be a born again Christian? The classic passage from the Bible that answers this question is John 3:1-21. The Lord Jesus Christ is talking to Nicodemus, a prominent Pharisee and member of the Sanhedrin (a ruler of the Jews). Nicodemus had come to Jesus at night. Nicodemus had questions to ask Jesus.

As Jesus talked with Nicodemus, He said, “’I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.’ ‘How can a man be born when he is old?’ Nicodemus asked. ‘Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again’” (John 3:3-7).

The phrase "born again" literally means "born from above." Nicodemus had a real need. He needed a change of his heart—a spiritual transformation. New birth, being born again, is an act of God whereby eternal life is imparted to the person who believes (2 Corinthians 5:17; Titus 3:5; 1 Peter 1:3; 1 John 2:29; 3:9; 4:7; 5:1-4, 18). John 1:12,13 indicates that "born again" also carries the idea "to become children of God" through trust in the name of Jesus Christ.

The question logically comes, "Why does a person need to be born again?" The Apostle Paul in Ephesians 2:1 says, "And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins..." (NKJV). To the Romans in Romans 3:23, the Apostle wrote, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." So, a person needs to be born again in order to have their sins forgiven and have a relationship with God.

How does that come to be? Ephesians 2:8-9 states, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast." When one is "saved," he/she has been born again, spiritually renewed, and is now a child of God by right of new birth. Trusting in Jesus Christ, the One who paid the penalty of sin when He died on the cross, is what it means to be "born again" spiritually. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation: the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

If you have never trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior, will you consider the prompting of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to your heart? You need to be born again. Will you pray the prayer of repentance and become a new creation in Christ today? "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God" (John 1:12-13).

If you want to accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and be born again, here is a sample prayer. Remember, saying this prayer or any other prayer will not save you. It is only trusting in Christ that can save you from sin. This prayer is simply a way to express to God your faith in Him and thank Him for providing for your salvation. "God, I know that I have sinned against you and am deserving of punishment. But Jesus Christ took the punishment that I deserve so that through faith in Him I could be forgiven. I place my trust in You for salvation. Thank You for Your wonderful grace and forgiveness—the gift of eternal life! Amen

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

...what paragraph?

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If I believed in things like the "devil", yes I would. I would also steal yours and anyone elses I had too if there was a quota I had to fill.

Parenthood does that to a guy.

posted on Jun, 16 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

I think of this life as just a few laps around the track to see how our car is running. If car runs good, we advance to were the real race takes place, but if not, well we are just stuck driving a blind 3 legged goat around the kiddy play track.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join