It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Welly Welly Welly Well ! Isn't this good news for a change. Now, how do we
go about keeping massive corruption and more fighting and infighting away
from all that? I imagine this would draw the attention of all kinds of trouble.
On the other hand maybe it will propel Afghanistan in a positive direction.
Either way, it will take more years and boots on the ground. Maybe there is
a way to get investors at the table to help pay for the astronomical costs
that the American Taxpayer and Allies have spent already? In Lives,wounds money,and time while at the same time stabilizing and modernizing Afghanistan? Too make it work properly, the poor farmers,etc. would have to get a cut. Steer them away from the drug trade.Is that even possible? Hegemony does not have a very good track record when it comes to this kind of thing. It always seems to end up coming back to bite us in the rear. One way or another. I'd like to think positively though, as the world is long overdue
for some good news for a change. I know I am.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
well if the old bin laden trick didn't work, they figure this one might get us in the mood again. it could help us get out of debt, more military effort needed without you people crying about. i'm all for extracting every penny from afghans pocket, unless of course they can defend it.

This is probably one of the most disgusting posts I have seen in a while. Then again I haven't been on as often lately. But to simply support the raping of a sovereign nations wealth simply because we can is plain disgusting.

Now, if they had actually attacked us and did us some damage that we had to repair ourselves then I say, yes, their resources should cover that bill. But they didn't attack us and we went after them on trumped up charges of trying to get a man and his network. Well, that cock and bull story has fallen through so I guess it's on to this one now. LOL

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This has always been a war for resources, The U.S. military is the attack dog for the World Bank. I'm not shocked that they let China get any part of that pie. I know the U.S. will be the last to get anything out of this, thats for sure although we will be blamed for EVERYTHING. With Obama in power everything is lost.

China will rape that country, install another tyrant and we will have more civil war. Just like Sudan.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
Like an inbred from the holler winning a massive lotto jackpot, this is the worst thing that could have happened to them.

-----
Better if you, or the "right kind" of people won a massive jackpot, right? A racist comment, if ever there was one. It's just incredible that in 2010, this sort of racial branding is still allowed. What are you going to suggest next, sterilization?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

This is going to be great.

Can we strip mine the entire country? I mean, they don't need the earth or anything right? Obviously there's no wildlife that lives there.

Eco-destruction is fine as long as it's for major profit ... especially if it benefits major corporations.

...And every time there is a new gadget that requires a lithium battery pack there is a line that extends around the block, waiting to get their hands on it...

...and as third world countries develop, the demands for natural resources to manufacture these new gadgets explodes...

...and if the evil corps cut back on production, you'd be complaining that there is a conspiracy to dumb down the world...:shk:

So do your part and build a green Blackberry, and a green laptop, and...

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
This has always been a war for resources, The U.S. military is the attack dog for the World Bank.

I think it is helpful in putting things in perspective to realize that the US military is just another resource to be plundered. It confuses the issue when it sounds as if the military or the US in general is a conscious collaborator. I doubt most of the people in our military, even at high levels, realize that they are being exploited as well.

Big money buys politicians, politicians make policies, the military implements those policies in these wars, these wars profit big money.

Our military might, our soldiers, and our weaponry, paid for by people in the US, to defend us, to protect our interests, are being hijacked by that little link between big money and politics. Just like the resources in Iraq and Afghanistan will be hijacked by a link between big money and government there.

When would it make sense to spend trillions fighting a war for resources worth less than that? The answer is simple. When you are spending someone elses money to get your hands on that trillion in resources. The US is being mined too, just like Iraq, and just like Afghanistan. We are just being mined for a different product. War.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ragman
hese people need to be able to sustain themselves without growing poppy seeds or functioning off of dirty money from our enemies funding terrorism--

See, that is where I begin to lose it. We came in there and now the poppy fields are booming. I think you are lost on whats really happening there. The wars, including the war on drugs is a sham. If you just look a LITTLE BIT into the history of CIA drug running, you WILL piece together what is happening at least on some level. What, you think the taliban or al-qaida smuggle in black tar heroin to the U.S?

We are being played and those who refuse to take their heads out of the sand get played the worst. I'm not preaching to you in particular, but to everyone who thinks this war is just or necessary on any level. The pro-war arguments have run dry and only blind, false patriotism is left.

Its time for REAL patriotism. End the wars, bring the troops home and cut the military budget by spending it wisely on defense. Repeal the patriot act in its entirety. End the drug war and spend that same money on EDUCATION. Enough of the go-nowhere policies and wars.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by SmokeandShadow]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Go figure! Wasn't it lucky the US happen to have a presence there....

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
CHICK CHING! I think it is safe to say we knew it all along.

Guess what other countries in the Middle East besides Afghanistan have the untapped, resource-rich Zagros Mountain Range running through them? Iraq and Iran.

Iran is sandwiched between Iraq and Afghanistan.
Iran is bigger than Iran and Afganistan combined.
The majority of the Zagros Mountains are in Iran.
The vast majority of the untapped resources and minerals are in Iran.

Guess which country TPTB have been beating out "In a Gadda Da Vida" with their war drum set for ages? IRAN!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
As always I'm glad to be American!

2nd line.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

Originally posted by DOADOA
well if the old bin laden trick didn't work, they figure this one might get us in the mood again. it could help us get out of debt, more military effort needed without you people crying about. i'm all for extracting every penny from afghans pocket, unless of course they can defend it.

This is probably one of the most disgusting posts I have seen in a while. Then again I haven't been on as often lately. But to simply support the raping of a sovereign nations wealth simply because we can is plain disgusting.

That is quite a disturbing post Dariousg,good call.

Sort of like saying if giant aliens with anti matter bombs came to our world,they had the right to steal all our resources,just because we are weaker than they.

Law of the jungle in other words.
Who would not fight if said giant aliens came to steal our air and water?
Only fools IMO.

And some wonder why the Afghans fight,and call them evil terrorists...

What would you do in the same situation?
Lie down and surrender-or fight until your last breath?

Its not rocket science...

What a fantastic post Sir,very good insight indeed.
Star for you.
Theres gold in them there hills.And more.

[edit on 14/6/2010 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

It would be nice to think we (USA) could keep our greedy little fingers out of Afghanistan's new found wealth, and that we'd allow Afghanistan to improve the lives of it's people with this bounty. Unfortunately I don't think the US ever learned to play nice on the playground and intends to be the schoolyard bully.... "gimme your lunch money!".

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Thank you! But I would like to correct myself because it is Alborz Mtn. range that connects Iran and Afghanistan with the Zagros Mtns in southern Iran.

However, if you look at a map the Zagros, Alborz, and Taurus Mtn ranges all inter-connect. They just have different names to separate each. So, they are most likely made up of similar elements, and if they are untapped they will likely yield the same resources, which was my point.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

It's Official! The U.S. will never leave Afghanistan!

That's exactly what came to my mind when I heard this. S/F

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Afgans don't have the industry to support mining these minerals. The US, Britian, France, Australia, Germany, however, do. It's not doing anyone any good just sitting in the ground. Profiting off of this is what NATO countries do best. If the Afgan people get a better standard of living at the same time....so be it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tooo many pills
So, they are most likely made up of similar elements, and if they are untapped they will likely yield the same resources

So say the secret Near-infrared spectrometry satellite networks.
I'll bet.
And yeah,I bet they said the same before 9/11 even happened.

"Just need an event,to light the fuse,then we'll get that gold and those minerals.Who cares how many soldiers and civilians die!"

Says rumsfeld and Cheney.

"A new pearl harbour maybe?"

That would do it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I have seen a few posts that are exactly what I was thinking. why are we looking for minerals? why are we trying to find money there. we should be finding terrorist, and getting the hell out. how many soldiers will now die defending mining operations? how many more soldiers will die defending CIA poppy fields? Why are they telling the world this news? There has to be a reason they are releasing this info now. whats the other hand doing during this magic trick?

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
"including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium"
Some would say the devil is EVIL, some would say that the DEVIL is not real, some would even say that the devil is a man. . .

. . .what if they tapped in to the veins of a Dajjal or What not? Thy Anti Christ? Just some off topic,

Yes, I agree that U.S. will never leave, but I assume that the reason america is allways in the news doing things it is the NWO fail safe maybe? some one to blame and to "praise as doing a good job" hmmmm. I WONDER?

rehab

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This is truly an odd conversation here.

The only way the people of Afghanistan can benefit from their natural resources is to develop them and market them. To do that they must have a stable government, equipment and technology and a market.

Leasing and developing their resources could be the trigger that drags them out of the dark ages into a stable society and some modicum of a decent life for themselves.

Or, we could just leave and let them get on with abusing women, killing each other over religious differences and mass producing Opium.

Afghanistan was not even a real country to begin with. It was a bunch of Warlords feuding with each other and totally lacking a central government. That is why the worlds worst bad-guys chose it as a base. The only government was a gun and brute force.

We pull out now, the sucking sound from the Terrorists pouring back in will be deafening. They will slaughter like there is no tomorrow while fighting over territories and their share of the Opium trade.

[edit on 6/14/2010 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

The war in Afghanistan was all about resources just like many have said all along. Now we have the proof. However, this will help many Afghan people if they are able to go to school and learn how to mine correctly. This will give them plenty of jobs, help their infrastructure, and bring them closer to accepting U.S. presence there if it benefits their lives.

This will help the U.S. greatly because we will get the newly found resources the cheapest. This will fuel our economy by lower our prices with a new mineral source flooding the market. It will also help us because it will hurt China, who is the main supplier of rare earth metals. China could take a big hit from its mining exports, and if the analysis of China's housing bubble is correct, this could push them further into a recession.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join