It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I find it particularly interesting that the USGS seems to be able to figure out the extent and value of underground deposits of minerals simply with a flyover and a few photos, when in the real world of mineral exploration it takes years of painstaking survey work on the ground, along with lab tests of ore samples and many other tests (including exploratory drilling) before extents of minerals and their value can be determined.

This reeks of US knowledge of these deposits long before the war started.

If it was really so easy to detect minerals and deposit sizes, I'd be taking flying tours every day.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
the only thing i could think of when i read this was 'only 1 trillion???"

after the bank bailouts last year and the EU bailouts this year 1trillion just doesnt seem like that much money, especially when its funny money to begin with.....

i think putting a dollar value on resources is vastly misleading anyway. If you have enough resources and means you dont need money at all....at all at all at all.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
reply to post by Chevalerous

here's a link to show people what afghanistan was like in the 50's and 60's.

Once upon a time in Afghanistan

Does this surprise anyone because, this is not even a secret if you took the time to think a little you would come to the conclusion that this tactic has been going on since before Rome and was perfected by Rome. They did it to the Greeks like the Greeks did it to the Trojans. Romes spiritual ancestors by way of Remus and Romulus all the way up to Cesar round and round it goes were it stops everybody knows. The only difference is the Trojan horse has gotten more complicated but, all wars are fought for resources when not fought for defense of resources. And to those that think this will benefit the afghans "boy are you wrong" if the afghans don't get there # together they will take, and take everything and leave that place a desolate dessert. I mean can any american think of any time were this kind of situation happed in america, and if you didn't fight for your rights, that tptb gave it to you, hell no those in power go to fancy dinner parties and are on there yachts. They don't give a # as long as they get there moneys, thats humanity throwout the ages. The Russians know why america went to these wars, as do the Chinese, and all other countries in the world that can call themselves countries, its no mystery.

And toreishi is right look at that link from the 60 and look at afghan now, this is what can happen to any country that gets infiltrated by an outside power that does not care about the outcome of that country, only its resources. And I'm not saying america is evil and all that, but if it can't even take care of things in it's own land, what makes you think it's there to help others "share" there wealth that they have in the ground. But yey with that 1 trillion we can begin to pay back china. Look at afghan because it's not the only country that got invaded by foreign powers and corporations. It's just one of the more expendable ones that its leaders were easily bought. The same could happen to all others even the mighty usa.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by galadofwarthethird]

[edit on 14-6-2010 by galadofwarthethird]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosinorder

That 1 trillion will not come to your goverment. Corporations will hubly accept the burden of mining.

For all of you if you havn't read Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, and The secret history of the American empire by John Perkins they are must reads.

What we have here is a country loaned more money than they can payback by the World Bank, and that money is used to build up the infrastructure so our corporations can get in there to pillage and plunder it. Everything goes to the corporations and the rich and the populace suffers from it all. Since the country becomes completely indebt they have little say over what takes place. Greed and corruption keep the few leaders in place. If you read these two books you can see how it has been done over and over, and still being done.

So yes in this case American government pays for most of it, Americans die for it and American corporations profit from it.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by wdkirk
Afgans don't have the industry to support mining these minerals. The US, Britian, France, Australia, Germany, however, do. It's not doing anyone any good just sitting in the ground. Profiting off of this is what NATO countries do best. If the Afgan people get a better standard of living at the same time....so be it.

But the people will get nothing out of it, but inflated prices without an increase in monies. Take Indonesia, the people starve with Nike and many other factories abound. They make 3 bucks a day with the general assumption that is good money for there, well it is not. It is enough money to either feed you or your kids, but not both. It is not enough money to live on in anyway and they work up to 16 hours per day six days a week. The population is poorer now than before the oil companies and factories who paint a fictitious picture that the countries GNP is better so life is better.

A few at the top get rich, corporations get rich, and the populace lives in squalor, filth and unchecked pollution.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by Xtrozero]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This should be seen as really great news for Afghanistan.

Right now the metric that drives the warlords there is poppy production worth billions of dollars a year. That is the basic state of politics in Afghanistan, controlling poppy production, the U.S. likes to think our intervention has a lot of influence, but in reality all we're doing is propping up a weak central government that has little to no positive influence on the daily lives of its people.

The mineral deposits can help change this because there is now a bigger prize than just the poppy fields. It can change the game in Afghan politics, it will offer not just the economic prize but the prize of regional and even global power, something that might unite the tribal, disparate politics of the region and bring the focus to modernizing the country rather then jostling over poppy holdings.

The mineral deposits would necessitate a vast improvement in infrastructure across the country. Warlords can't really lord over vast infrastructure improvements and complex mining operations like they can poor poppy farmers.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

Does anyone truely believe that the US discovered these 'vast riches of minerals' just recently?

The 'War against terrorism' in Afganistan began in 2001

Back then the US already KNEW of these 'vast riches'.

Dont EVER believe ANY war has begun for Freedom or Benifits for Humans. Those who hold the strings and call the shots have ONE reason ONLY for war: to make PROFIT of war. It's ALL economics

Prior to the US war started in Afganistan (TY Mr. Bush Jr.!) there was a war between the Sovjets (Russians) who invaded Afganistan in 1979 for so called 'communistic' reasons.

The US saw the Russians coming closer to the rich Oil fields there and were afraid they would loose their leading position on the Oil market.

Gorbatsjov ended the Afghan war in 1989 under influence of the US.

The REAL reason for this war is and has been from day one to control not only the mineral digging and oilfields but also the riches of the Opium fields.

Opium is used widely in all sorts of chemical drugs (meds) and thus makes an unbelievable amount of money for the farmacy producing companies.

Oil, gold and other minerals used in f.e. cellphones and computers are in the top 10 of products making the most economic profit.

War on terror? Me ar*e!! War to get rich and kill everything that stands in da way of this plan!

Namaste!

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

1 trillion dollars and counting. The World Bank helps write the laws on mineral ownership. US does everything it can to get Russia out of Afghanistan. US creates reason to invade Afghanistan. US declares it has to stay in Afghanistan, US keeps all the gold, kills all the Afgans who fight to keep what is rightfully theirs.

Oh and when they say yeah but we liberated you and paid to rebuild your country so take your filthy hands off our gold and go back to your tents. You will find out what it is really like to be a victim of terror. The terrorist we see today are a making of the USA and Britain mainly. They are controlled and only used when the PTB need an excuse to take away more rights from us or steal more cash from us.

We are however getting very close to the point when there control will fail and the people will say enough, overthrow the government and corporation, close the borders and stay sod off to anyone who tries to get in; sod off being a 9mm in the head probably.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

You are right, Afghanistan had one of the best education systems, my dad is an example, he is a civil engineer who studied in Kabul university, and there are many like him.

There are engineers, doctors, etc... and they all end up in Western countries driving taxi's.

That is humiliating the least, the conflict drove them away, destroyed the country etc.

Afghanistan was one of the most civil country in that region, people came from Iran, Pakistan, the Arab states, Kazakistan, Uzbakista etc to learn in Afghanistan.

This was all ruined because of the world powers, the same powers who are permanent security council members, and who holds veto powers.

That is absurd when you think in regards to their destructive behaviors in the past. The thing that pisses me off is that people are blaming and avoiding any accountability due to cold war.

Let's not forget Iraq was Democracy also, and was doing well until the powers once more helped a coup which in response brought Saddam.

Afghanistan could have been the regional power by now if the world didn't meddle in their internal affairs.

Afghanistan was one of the few countries who actually installed electric trains all the way back in 50's.

Some countries still don't have them.

After the war, I remember in Peshawer refugee camps that all the smart students were given scholar ships.

Basically stealing the minds of Afghans and using them for their own purpose.

I remember I was 10 years old, and one Afghan individual (his name was atal) who lived close to me was 13, he was one of those geniuses, the people who just understood in first or second try.

He finished school at the age of 14 and was sent to America.

His mathematic abilities were astonishing, everyone was amazed, everyone was thinking about his age, and problems he was solving.

He studied in the same UN school as me.

Conflict is good for stable countries, because they buy the minds of the countries which are involved in the conflict.

Without those minds all that is left is a bunch of barbarians.

And they ask why Afghanistan is in this situation.

So many minds also got killed in both Russian, and US war against Afghanistan.

Thanks a lot world, we have the most refugees in the world, we are the poorest in the world, and we are being blamed by the world ..

Leave Afghanistan alone.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's good to know we spent just under a trillion dollars in a war to find a trillion in minerals..

Of course after mining operations, splitting with the Afghans (can't just loot it, doesn't look good on tv) .. we won't come anywhere near breaking even.

Not what I call a wise investment.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

And with Iraq oil investment, it is pretty wise ^^

They wouldn't make it that obvious that they invaded Afghanistan and Iraq for resource purposes, that would be outrageous, that would give Americans nightmares, that over a million innocent people died due to greed.

But ofcurse arrogance is a defect of freakish power.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by curioustype
reply to post by ANNED

Good post, that's exactly what I thought of, that quote - I remember the article, explaining how China was (quietly) winning the bid against the USA and others to extract and export the (largest) mineral reserves (esp. copper) from Afghanistan, while the USA is caught up expending it's money and resources in the very same country, mind-boggling and I wish I could understand it?

The article seemed to suggest the Chinese welcomed the efforts of the USA to stabilise the region (so they can get on with mineral extraction presumably), in fact it seemed almost as if the Chinese were slightly miffed that the USA had stirred up a fight in the region at all...yet now it was happening they wanted the islamic fundamentalists out of the way so they can get on without needing to use force themselves...far better for their future trading relations with the country if that could happen?

America will become a part of Mexico but owned by the China?
The NWO is what Mussolini described:the merger of corporations and the state. I have read that 40 percent of US coal mines are owned by foreigners.
And BP is British but drilling in American waters. Afghanistan will be divided up amongst the corporations.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I agree with the sentiment but the reality is probably farther away. Have you ever been there? There isn't a damn thing to start a serious mining operation or something to start exporting those minerals.

It would be great for the average A'gan but the odds are really not in their favor. Leasing those resources would not only lead to the export of the minerals but the export of any significant wealth. The warlords or toadies in the government would take their cut of course. Any services needed to extract the minerals would come from multinationals. And the A'gans? They would get left with little but piles of toxic mine tailings and even more foreign intervention which totally overlooks their wellbeing if that is possible.

There is a different mind set among the people too. They are good folks for the most part but the concepts of economy and industry are really not there. Honestly, I hope it works out for them. I think they deserve it.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Excellent

Afghanistan will make a great permanent territorial aquisition for the American empire.

[edit on 14-6-2010 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

Ya it amazes me how this tactic works over and over and people just don't wise up to it, its been done over and over since the dawn of civilization but people just don't get it.

And I feel for you dude, but I know better, and at the end of the day if the country's leaders and as you say brightest minds weren't so easily bought, if instead they were actual leaders and put the country/people first as whole. Then no one would be able to destroy the country's Infrastructure like other country's did. Look at the United Arab Emirates they have lots of resources that others would want, some of there thinking might be backwards but they at least have a coalition that would give others a hard time from profiting from them. There is more to this game that we call the will to power then getting a degree from a university, in fact in the scope of things its just a piece of paper, if one can't understand a simple concept as how human nature sometimes is a detriment to a whole.

A lot of people say it's evil and what not, but it's not it's life, humanity and business. It's not evil that is the oppression of people it's indifference. What you have is a bunch of corporations that follow the bottom line, and there not evil they are indifferent, not only do they follow there propaganda but they actually believe there propaganda. Because at the end of the day the ceo's and those who profit greatly from it are far away on a billion dollar mansion i doubt they even bother looking at what this machine is doing only looking if it's profiting. And the rest they are peons they have to do there job or some one else will get the job. That is not evil it's being human it's indifference and stupidity. My point being who ever thinks about the troubles and suffering of other's even if they indirectly cause that suffering. Take a look at the blood diamonds thing, who buy's those diamonds mostly rich people, women and rapers.
so who is at fault here those who subjugate a people for a profit, or those who buy the actual product that makes others a profit, one would not exist without the other. And I haven't looked at MTV or rap videos in a long time but judging from all the money they make of rap music and all the bling/diamonds they wear, rapers are contributing as much to the conditions of those in Africa as the actual people that profit off selling them the bling.

But like some said on this thread Afghanistan can come out of this in the long run better off if it plays its cards right. Now that they have spent all USA citizens tax dollars on this war, it's barley worth there effort to get out of there, so they are kind of stuck there no jobs back home for all the soldiers, and people are getting a little pissed of that they wasted all this money on nothing so might as well stay. The corporations will try to suck all those resources in the most profitable way possible, but if afghan is smart they will find a way to profit from this as well.
And the circle of life will go on.

posted on Jun, 14 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Finally, the potential $1 trillion question in all this is: Who will get the rights to these minerals? China is already operating the largest mine in Afghanistan — and has yet to produce any copper. George W. Bush's administration famously argued that oil exploitation would offset the costs of the invasion and occupation of Iraq, but American companies were largely shut out of oil concessions there. In the case of Afghanistan, the USGS has apparently invested significant resources into mapping the mineral wealth, but it's unclear whether private mining companies were involved as well — leaving open the question of whether the U.S. will get a cut of any development.

Don't you feel that we are doing these wars in the name of China? First Iraq and now Afghanistan? I smell conspiracy here.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
That's good news. America should be paid reparations for the 911 attacks. Afghanistan aided and abetted those attacks with their support for terrorists. I say strip mine the place and then leave.

Unfortunately America will never see this wealth. it will go to the Chinese and the NWO oligarchs.

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by empireofpain

Totally agree. why not start, we already know no one has the technology to stop us and we need the money and resources. history will repeat and we will end up stripping them bare of these minerals. ALL HAIL THE USA GREATEST EMPIRE EVER

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
America needs to take it all for themselves. screw off chinese corporations, we'll kick your ass over it. We the red whie and blue! USA needs to spread!

posted on Jun, 15 2010 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Melyanna Tengwesta

The 'War against terrorism' in Afganistan began in 2001
Back then the US already KNEW of these 'vast riches'.

Exactly, they have know for a long long time about riches in Afghanistan.

The only reason this keeps coming up is to get support for killing more people for no reasons at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join