It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

U.S. Discovers Vast Riches of Minerals in Afghanistan

www.nytimes.com

The United States has discovered nearly $1 trillion in untapped mineral deposits in Afghanistan, far beyond any previously known reserves and enough to fundamentally alter the Afghan economy and perhaps the Afghan war itself, according to senior American government officials.

The previously unknown deposits — including huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afgha
(visit the link for the full news article)

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It's Official!
The U.S. will never leave Afghanistan!

The vast scale of Afghanistan’s mineral wealth was discovered by a small team of Pentagon officials and American geologists.

Isn't it amazing that during an massive 10 year war that is only about terroism and extremism that American geologists are able to fly over there with Pentagon officials to scour the area like scavengers?

Ah.... The jows of war!

Endless fights could erupt between the central government in Kabul and provincial and tribal leaders in mineral-rich districts. Afghanistan has a national mining law, written with the help of advisers from the World Bank, but it has never faced a serious challenge

Ah the noble people at the World Bank!

Can anyone shed some light on this mining law?
I couldn't find anything

Thanks

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Expect more surprise announcements of this nature while the compromised Wikileaks State Department cables are still in the open.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
You're right. Now the US will never leave Afghanistan. The war will escalate and corruption will skyrocket. Like an inbred from the holler winning a massive lotto jackpot, this is the worst thing that could have happened to them.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
This is huge, and excellent find, just ran across this prior to logging on here, "Amazing" and all point's are well taken, can't wait to see what this does to the market's tommorow....

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Somehow this doesn't surprise me.
Outside of the poppy fields and oil pipeline routs there had to be something that was more valuable in the region. I'm surprised they released this info. I doubt that this is actually a new discovery. It was probably known for years.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
How convenient...

Has anyone else seen Oliver Stones movie "W." - there are some interesting scenes set in the war room where a map is being displayed - and all the US bases that surround Iran - Powell was against it, and wanted to know what the withdrawal strategy was - Cheney said there wasn't one, "we'll stay - a real empire"... Food for thought.

WTF are they looking for mineral deposits for anyway! Aren't they supposed to be finding "terrorists" and cutting down poppy fields?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This is good news, actually.

If Afghanistan can develop the infrastructure needed to exploit these minerals, the diversification of the economy could very well move the nation forward.

Afghanistan has many problems, a little good news can only be a good thing.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

And you don't think it will be US multinationals that own these deposits? They'll pay a pittance in royalty fees and most of the jobs will be outsourced to foreigners. It wont do squat for the economy - Afghanistan is massively in debt and will be for a long time.

Lithium ey? - China has the worlds biggest deposits of Lithium - a key component in electric car batteries...

I wonder how long ago all this was known.

[edit on 13/6/10 by ghostsoldier]

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's a well knowned fact that Afghanistan has vast riches of minerals and rare metals.

Especially rare minerals and metals (lithium, caesium, tantalum and niobium) for production of high-tech stuff.

In fact, the USA and the Great Britain has knowned this for ages.

The first reports came from the mid 1950's and more recent reports were made 1985.

Here's one of the most recent reports from USGS 2007:

Significant Potential for Undiscovered Resources in Afghanistan

Released: 11/13/2007 10:00:00 AM U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey

Afghanistan has significant amounts of undiscovered non-fuel mineral resources according to the U.S. Geological Survey's 2007 assessment, unveiled today at the 3rd annual U.S.-Afghan Business Matchmaking Conference organized by the Afghan-American Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C.

Mineral resources present a great source for a country's industrial growth and wealth. Estimates for copper and iron ore resources were found to have the most potential for extraction in Afghanistan. Scientists also found indications of abundant deposits of colored stones and gemstones, including emerald, ruby, sapphire, garnet, lapis, kunzite, spinel, tourmaline and peridot. Other examples of mineral resources available for extraction in Afghanistan include gold, mercury, sulfur, chromite, talc-magnesite, potash, graphite and sand and gravel.

USGS scientists worked cooperatively with the Afghanistan Geological Survey of the Afghanistan Ministry of Mines, between 2004 and 2007, to compile existing information about known mineral deposits and evaluate the possible occurrence of undiscovered deposits of non-fuel mineral resources. This assessment will be used in rebuilding Afghanistan's natural resources sector, provide valuable new information to the global business and mining communities, and serve as a foundation for future work on areas of mineral resource potential.

"Mineral resource assessments provide government decision-makers and potential private investors with objective, unbiased information on where undiscovered mineral resources may be located, what kinds of resources are likely to occur and how much of each mineral commodity may exist in them," said USGS Director Mark Myers.

"Afghanistan's natural resources have a quality comparable to the highest-class minerals of the entire region," said Afghanistan's Ambassador to the United States Said T. Jawad. "We are grateful to the efforts of the USGS and our Ministry of Mines in allowing global investors an opportunity to receive the latest information on their assessment for more informed business decisions."

The majority of information on Afghanistan's mineral resources was produced between the early 1950s and about 1985. However, during the intermittent conflict over the next two decades, much of that data was hidden and protected by Afghan scientists. After 2001, this valuable data was returned to the Afghan government, and the USGS gathered new data and identified additional information in locations outside of Afghanistan.

www.usgs.gov...

Rare Metals Afganistan PDF

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It's pointless to argue with you all. But-- I think all of you are missing the point. Finding resources in Afghanistan is good thing for the war effort. These people need to be able to sustain themselves without growing poppy seeds or functioning off of dirty money from our enemies funding terrorism-- The US has every reason, for the sake of our national security to try to find any plausible resource in that dirt farm.

Its not a conspiracy if they are open about it. Its no secret the US wants to establish a stable economy over there, and natural resources are a big part of that. But keep talking about secrets, plundering, empire building, etc etc....

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

These are issues that don't concern me.

I don't want to see the Afghanistanis unfairly exploited, but if the country is to reap the benefits of these resources they will need experienced help.

You're agenda is clear.

I only wish to see a nation brought out of the Sixth Century and closer to the Twenty-first. Some peace wouldn't hurt, either.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

prevously unknown my arse. its probably why they went in there. just like they went to iraq for the oil and why australia is apparantly garrisoning the solomon islands at the behest of the us due to its vast mineral wealth..

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Perhaps I am being a little one sided - but I would be happier if these future mining companies were state owned companies, or atleast privately owned by afghani business men who care about the future of their country.

Otherwise its just taking. And its going to lead to less peace, like it does all over the world, when massive corporations take control - and give nothing to the locals.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Great.....lets stay. Lets exploit them to the fullest!

Dont look at me like that......its a dog eat dog world out there and we just found us a big dog that we can sink our teath into.....lets EAT!

There is no withdrawel strategy....THIS IS WHY.

I was against the afgan and iraq war because i did not think fighting and searching for 'terrorists' was worth the fight and economic strain.

Now that i see what we are REALLY fighting for....im all for it! Stay and exploit them. sorry afganistan......we are gonna take all those minerals from ya! Dont worry.....you will get rich and prosperous in the process!

By selling your independence to us your people will experiance a life of comfort that you would have never had if you had not sold your soul to us.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT AMERICAN EMPIRE!

"THEN CONQUER IF WE MUST
WHEN OUR CAUSE IT IS JUST
AND THIS BE OUR MOTTO
IN GOD IS OUR TRUST"- United states ational anthem.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier

Perhaps I am being a little one sided - but I would be happier if these future mining companies were state owned companies, or atleast privately owned by afghani business men who care about the future of their country.

Otherwise its just taking. And its going to lead to less peace, like it does all over the world, when massive corporations take control - and give nothing to the locals.

Of course you would....your a communist.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I see your point, but I think this will only work if the deposits are nationalized. Otherwise it is a fact that outside forces will take whatever they want. We have seen it too many times in too many countries to pretend it won't happen.

I imagine the first thing the US will demand is reparations.

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier

And you don't think it will be US multinationals that own these deposits? They'll pay a pittance in royalty fees and most of the jobs will be outsourced to foreigners.

The Afghan government owns the land that these minerals were found on. If they do allow "US multinationals" to utilize the land you can bet the Afghan government will be getting paid hundreds of billions per year.

By the way, do you really expect an Afghan mining operation (There are virtually none) to be considered in a multi billion/year bidding war when the entire GDP of the country is under $20 billion? The only way this would happen is from a government mining operation.

It wont do squat for the economy - Afghanistan is massively in debt and will be for a long time.

That's funny. A Multi-trillion dollar mineral resource not doing anything for the economy.

[edit on 13/6/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This is amazing to read. I'm dumbfounded.

I was under the impression that all of the recent wars were after oil. It's brilliant (in a bad way) that we (U.S.) go after the source for all of our batteries. I just counted 7 items in my house that use lithium batteries.

The push for "new" energy from the White House, and the President himself - makes this whole situation transparent.

Am I wrong, or does the forthcoming Chevy Volt have one of the biggest lithium battery packs in a production car in history?

posted on Jun, 13 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
the Russians knew about these mineral resources before they invaded.

So far China has the lead beating out other countries for a large copper deposit.

The Chinese offer beat out bids by four other firms that were considered finalists. They include Strikeforce -- part of Russia's Basic Element Group, the London-based Kazakhmys Consortium, Hunter Dickinson of Canada, and the U.S. copper-mining firm Phelps Dodge.

www.rferl.org...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join