It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question For You

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm afraid of a pole shift that slops the Pacific Ocean over the mountains and drowns us (and everyone else) up here. Not to mention the accompanying winds.

saxony

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Uncertainty.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Losing my wife and tornadoes. Whenever there is a tornado watch/warning, I pretty much have a short lapse of insanity. No clue why i'm so scared, only ever seen one in real life and that was from a distance.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
nothing

to make this post compliant, i will repeat

i fear nothing
anymore

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
While it isn't my most preoccupying or significant fear, it is my strangest/most potentially embarrassing fear (probably...it has a some tough competitors).

I do try to kill insects sparingly (I know that's still intolerable to many), but they absolutely terrify me when I find them near my sleeping space, so I end up doing so even though it induces guilt. Anyway, I've had this recurring fear that insects are far more sentient than we currently acknowledge. I fear that because we understand very little beyond their biological functions, the area of the unknown is so great that it could contain some acutely disturbing details. When I'm about to squash an innocent insect, I do tend to wonder...

But yes yes, I am sane.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I used to be fearless as a teen.. yelling to "god" catch me if you can.. 'he' never did by the way, then as a young man, and on into my 30's... then my daughter was born and something wierd happens to you.

Seriously, once your kids come along something changes inside you. I think it is a natural thing to insure you are around for them instead of being out risking life and limb in your adrenaline pursuits.

We stop jumping fences and use the gate instead, we become cautious of heights and many other things.

There is still no fear inside me of another human being, or death, or living to a ripe old age.. although I would prefer to shuffle-off somewhere around 70 to 75.

So I think after re-reading my response my only remaining fear is to live long enough to be useless to the world, to reach senility, to be wetting myself and not having one friend who will agree to a pact to put a pillow over my face when it gets that bad.

Edited for dyslexic fingers that forgot how to spell

[edit on 7-6-2010 by Tayesin]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I love this question.

In scary movies, almost nothing really gets to me as far as trying to relate to it and become afraid of it. Most of the times its being affraid because you're gonna die, or something is chasing you, or you know what ever it is can kill you or control you.

But one of my big mega fears in those movies is -

You have a looong hallway or passage way or road with dim lighting. Usually just enough to see the end. Say it is about anywhere from 15 to 60 feet. And close to the end of the narrow passage is a stand-still emotionless "something" staring at you. It can be a person, preferably in dark drab clothes, a child, preferably with long hair. the "death" character is a good one.

This honestly gets to me for some reason. what ever it is, doesn't move. Doesn't make a noise. It just lurks. And peers into you. All your curiosity and imagination creates the biggest fears. - The most important part is, the hallway or passage has to be completely vacant only moments prior

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Before your post I couldn't think of anything..

Old age does scare the hell out of me though, not the dying part, that should be interesting. It's the being abandoned in a nursing home with incontonance and altziemers. Without a doubt the worst way to end a life!

My Grandad did leave me with a bit of hope about that though. One day I went to visit him and he jumped up from bed and said 'Oh your lucky you've caught me, I've just got back from visiting uncle George' Now this uncle does not exist, and my Grandad hadn't left the home for months, but it was clear he'd had a great time with this George geezer. Happiest I'd ever seen him in there!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
I tend to think of fear in 2 different categories: visceral & intellectual. Viscerally, I'd like to claim that the fear of something terrible happening to my kids is worst, specifically my son coming off his bike & ending up a paraplegic or something. However it isn't. I have a serious phobia of dentistry. In fact I'm pretty scared of the medical profession in general. I swear they're just guessing half the time & the only times they are certain about whats wrong is when there's obvious evidence, by which time its most likely too f# late!
Intellectually, I fear the power that people gain by directing & harnessing the ignorance of others.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
While it isn't my most preoccupying or significant fear, it is my strangest/most potentially embarrassing fear (probably...it has a some tough competitors).

I do try to kill insects sparingly (I know that's still intolerable to many), but they absolutely terrify me when I find them near my sleeping space, so I end up doing so even though it induces guilt. Anyway, I've had this recurring fear that insects are far more sentient than we currently acknowledge. I fear that because we understand very little beyond their biological functions, the area of the unknown is so great that it could contain some acutely disturbing details. When I'm about to squash an innocent insect, I do tend to wonder...

But yes yes, I am sane.

I am in total agreeance ! I have this wild idea that more 'things' than we realise are sentient and actually conscious. Not just insects but inanimate objects.. I got to thinking, so if I'm alive and I have a soul, and this spider is living and it has a soul, then wouldn't that be the same as killing another human being ? Just because it is smaller in size doesn't mean its existence is less important than mine ...

Buut.. I'm still going to squish you if I find you too near me. Sorry bugs. You're just so freakish..

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
nothing

i fear nothing
anymore

Excellent...

What erased all fear?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I fear..

Breaking anything expensive of mine

House fires

Breaking my tooth again.. One time I was out on a blind date and we ended up coming back to my house where I chose to eat a samich and.... blamo - my molar shattered into pieces and one of the sharp shards cut my still living nerve. Worst pain in my life.
-oh, and I didn't get to see a dentist for 3 days.

Getting stuck in another country that doesn't speak English without money or a way home.

Also plain just getting lost. Thats a big one for me.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well... I was afraid of some things but after reading some of these posts, now I have lots of new things to be afraid of.

I guess top pic for me would be driving on the interstate. I will drive an hour out of the way on side streets before I will drive on it. Also cockroaches. They're nasty. I hate them.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals

Originally posted by queenannie38
nothing

i fear nothing
anymore

Excellent...

What erased all fear?

i can't always speak for queenannie, however we do have connections and understanding with eachother on certain issues.

i think, and she may correct me if i am wrong, that she made a concerted effort to isolate her fears, and with help from others in her life, she efforted to follow through with fear and experience from within where fear in her originated, where it could lead to, and somehow received an "upgrade", perspectives which enable her to adapt her intentions and priorities in a manner more compliant with the lessons of fear, rather than abandoning fear altogether.

perhaps what she means is "her fear" itself doesn't really quantify her actions and behaviors, her fears do not "command or rule" her in the ways that it used to.

fear is not abandoned nor can anything that exists cease to exist, but if we can move forward .....

perhaps apotheosis, or god can be a verb, which resulted when reality threw her a curve ball .... and put her in a position or situation where "fight or flight" was no longer viable options, yet she had to do something that extended outside the realm of the sum of her parts.

i may be a little off, but i think there is some truth in this.

annie can surely correct me if i am wrong.

i hope i didn't put too many words into your mouth annie, please feel free to correct me if i have.

thanks.
E.T.

p.s.
just because fear exists, does not mean it is an active participant or a valid, variable, reliable tool for every situation.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm terrified of the dentist. Absolutely phobic. I shattered a molar a while back and spent two weeks in agony before my wife dragged me to a sedation clinic where they hopped me up on Xanax, put me to sleep, ripped it out and gave me plenty of pain killers afterwards.

*twitch*

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BlaznRob

You should start going to the dentist twice a year for check ups and cleaning. Then if there is a problem, they will find it before it becomes too big or costly. I actually like having my teeth cleaned. They feel great and I think I have a nice smile

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
A new found fear of mine is havin the shtf in such a way that nothing can be done to protect their family. Planet blowing up type stuff.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Seeing Gods wrath while still sitting here on planet earth not protected by him. I don't plan on that but I guess one never really knows unless he flat out tells you.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by BlaznRob

Yeah, I'm the same. I cant have any dental work without being sedated 1st. Unfortunately I've had to have a fair bit. *shiver*

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I'm a scaredy-cat... but as for true "fears" and not just "susceptibility to horror stories"...

1) Heights. Seriously, can't even handle ladders.

2) Dying with unfinished goals.

3) Living without any goals. (Having no "purpose" is just peachy, but you gotta have goals.)

The combination of 2 and 3 really sucks, doesn't it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join