It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prescott, Ariz., elementary school to 'whiten' image of child in mural

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Prescott, Ariz., elementary school to 'whiten' image of child in mural

news.yahoo.com

An artist's decision to prominently feature a non-white child on an elementary-school mural in Prescott, Ariz., sparked so much controversy that school administrators asked him to "lighten" the child's face after a city councilman launched a campaign against the mural, according to the Arizona Republic.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.azcentral.com

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So Arizona just keeps showing their racism.

Seriously...people are mad that this mural has a "latino" kid on it (which the guy who complained about it calls him a "black person"). The mural is based of an actual kid that goes to the school...but still they are asking the artist to "whiten" the image due to complaints.

I'm wondering if anyone is going to try to defend this here and claim that this isn't racist.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Have you even read the law!!!!!

Sorry... that's just what one expects when reading racist Arizona threads. Really not surprised considering the reputation of that place.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Were you equally upset when they included a black featured statue in the 9/11 firefighter memorial? All 3 firefighters who actually raised the flag were white, but due to politically correct concerns, they included in black firefighter helping to raise the flag.

If you are not equally upset about that, then you are a hypocrite.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

Are you saying there's no black firefighters?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by BallsMahoney

Nope, saying the 3 who raised the flag were white, thats what the memorial depicted, but one of the statues was a black man when in reality a black man wasnt one of the 3 lifting the flag.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

If it was an actual event that happened...then it should of been the actual people in the event...I have no problem with that.

But we aren't talking about that right now...so how about you stay on topic.

Tell me this...are YOU offended by this story as much as you seem to be offended by the other one you are talking about???

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Actually, I'm not offended by either story.

They dont involve me, and simply put, I dont get offended.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek
Were you equally upset when they included a black featured statue in the 9/11 firefighter memorial? All 3 firefighters who actually raised the flag were white, but due to politically correct concerns, they included in black firefighter helping to raise the flag.

If you are not equally upset about that, then you are a hypocrite.

Yes, many people like myself were plenty happy to complain about that as well.

Tell me something. Does it make you feel like a big man to set up your own straw man target and then kick it down?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
We are all one race, the human race, that is the only race that should be expressed in elementary schools.

Besides, the human race is far superior to all other races.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Actually, I'm not offended by either story.

They dont involve me, and simply put, I dont get offended.

Hmmmm...then why bring it up???

Attempt to derail much???

So you are telling me that you think it is fine for them to "whiten" a latino's kids face in the mural because the residents don't like it?

Do you also agree with the people yelling racial slurs about the mural at the artist as he was painting it??

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is appalling. These are adults making these decisions?

Honestly, I don't live in Arizona, but I have been patient with them realizing without living there I may lack understanding into that they are going through. Trying to give the benefit of the doubt.

But this...there is no justification whatsoever for this. This is blatant hatred which reflects the emotional maturity of a two year old.

The people of Arizona are going to continue to isolate themselves more and more. Perhaps they should. If they are truly of this mind, are this different than the rest of the country, then perhaps they should have their own little 1930's civilization.

I'm so sorry to hear they are doing this.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson

Yes, many people like myself were plenty happy to complain about that as well.

Tell me something. Does it make you feel like a big man to set up your own straw man target and then kick it down?

Ah but this isnt a straw man argument.

Both mediums were intended to show diversity, and people werent happy with either obviously.

Diversity is a ruse.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by brainwrek]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

We are all one race, the human race, that is the only race that should be expressed in elementary schools.

Besides, the human race is far superior to all other races.

I think the world would be better off if this was the case.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Different from the rest of the country? In what way?

In every poll taken nationwide, majorities support AZ's recent illegal immigration law, and in fact, numerous states are proposing similar measures as we speak.

Who is different?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Ah but this isnt a straw man argument.

Then you will have to show me the post where anyone had brought it up and excused it. Perhaps you are not sure what a straw man argument is? Maybe you will show me I am wrong. I cannot wait to find out which.

Both mediums were intended to show diversity, and people werent happy with either obviously.

Not sure that clarifies anything but at least you said some stuff, I guess.

Diversity is a ruse.

Wow, thanks for all that "wisdom" then.

I will be waiting on that quote.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I've heard talk to this effect also. I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Perhaps you are one of those who just likes to throw the phrase straw man around when you dont actually know what it means. People with such tendencies usually resort to using that phrase when they are fresh out of original ideas.

I asked a simple question about someone being upset when an artist was asked to whiten an image. I was curious to know if that same person was upset when it went into reverse.... ie turning a white into a minority.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Well thats all fine and well, but who is different?

Perhaps it is you thats a little out of whack

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Just a side note, it was announced just yesterday that 17 other states have decided to establish immigration laws of there own...

Just thought you should know~

[edit on 4-6-2010 by SurefireII]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join