It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prescott, Ariz., elementary school to 'whiten' image of child in mural

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by brainwrek

It is almost the text book definition of a strawman

Strawman

1.Person A has position X.
2.Person B disregards certain key points of X and instead presents the superficially-similar position Y. Thus, Y is a resulting distorted version of X and can be set up in several ways, including:
1.Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position and then refuting it, thus giving the appearance that the opponent's actual position has been refuted.[1]
2.Quoting an opponent's words out of context – i.e. choosing quotations that misrepresent the opponent's actual intentions (see contextomy and quote mining).[2]
3.Presenting someone who defends a position poorly as the defender, then refuting that person's arguments – thus giving the appearance that every upholder of that position (and thus the position itself) has been defeated.[1]
4.Inventing a fictitious persona with actions or beliefs which are then criticized, implying that the person represents a group of whom the speaker is critical.
5.Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
3.Person B attacks position Y, concluding that X is false/incorrect/flawed.

Plus you are trying to derail.

And you have already implied that you condone these actions under the guise of saying you aren't offended by anything.

Plus, anyone who implies they are going to shoot politicians to "cast your vote" (your avatar) gets no respect from me.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Hopefully I can sleep tonight knowing I wont be getting any respect from you.

I'm sure the lack of respect from you will be weighing on my mind for years to come.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SurefireII
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Just a side note, it was announced just yesterday that 17 other states have decided to establish immigration laws of there own...

Just thought you should know~

[edit on 4-6-2010 by SurefireII]

Really...just yesterday??? I think this "news" is about 2 weeks old.

And guess what...some of those states have already pulled the "suggested" legislation. This is nothing more than politicians pandering for votes.

Besides...I'm sure the supreme court will strike down the Az law soon anyway...and that will be the end of that nonsense.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

hahahaha you actually think SCOTUS will overturn the law?

Considering it is 100% Constitutional, there is no chance kid.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It seems that this was done intentionally to cause racial tensions.

Why was this federally funded with a government grant in financial times such as these????

I am no genius, but I would have thought to equally display various races in a mural on a school building.
(even one that is predominately white)

The way the child in the mural is so predominately portrayed,
it is really in your face no matter what race the child is portrayed as.

I personally would not like the mural, if the mural were of a white child and I were black.

This is a set up and everyone is playing right into it.

[edit on 4-6-2010 by illusions]

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek

hahahaha you actually think SCOTUS will overturn the law?

Considering it is 100% Constitutional, there is no chance kid.

We shall see.

Either way...the law is just going to be a burden on Arizonas law enforcment...and ICE has already said they aren't going to process anyone reported to them by Az police.

If SCOTUS doesn't overturn it Arizona will continue to be sued over this...they will either go bankrupt or pull the law themselves.

So either way...it won't stand...and no other state is going to pass anything of their own.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Surely you would agree than that Janet Napolitano should be prosecuted if her agency (ICE) refuses to process illegal aliens whether ICE approves of the state that remanded them or not.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Alright then. Look at the border states.

The New Mexico governor, when speaking of Arizona's immigration law states its "A STEP BACKWARD".

Texas is not touching it.

California --- obviously not.

My point is Arizona is rapidly gaining the reputation of a rogue state.

Maybe you think I'm out of whack....maybe some others are.

I won't continue to have a discussion about the morality of white-washing a child's face on a mural, and whether the rest of the country has growing esteem for Arizona.

You go ahead.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just a friendly reminder folks. I know this is a controversial issue, but do stay on topic. Discuss the issue not each other.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Ever happen to think NM, CA, and TX happen to have more of hispanic representation in state government than AZ does?

Is it the policy they disagree with, or something else.....

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by brainwrek

Surely you would agree than that Janet Napolitano should be prosecuted if her agency (ICE) refuses to process illegal aliens whether ICE approves of the state that remanded them or not.

They never said they aren't going to process illegal aliens...they are just going to continue with their own investigations and not waste time on every local cop dragging someone in because they are hispanic.

There is nothing illegal about it...they have prosecutorial discretion on everything they do....100% legal.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

So Arizona just keeps showing their racism.

And so do you with the posts and responses. It's your way or noway huh?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Surely you are cognizant enough to know cops wont be bringing in anyone because they are hispanic. In fact, the AZ law specifically forbids profiling.

Was that news to you? Hopefully not.

Are you just being intellectually dishonest, or are you truly ignorant of the AZ law which you criticize?

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   

The topic of the thread, is about a group of adults who have elected to whitewash the face of an Hispanic child on a school mural.

My opinion is I am appalled by this action, and disappointed to know a group of adults could be this narrow-minded, cruel, and demonstrate such hateful behavior.

That is my position. The other is I do not admire the state of Arizona for it's recent decisions.

This is my position, and it is clear.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
PLEASE WAKE UP PEOPLE! THIS MURAL IS A SET UP!!!!

Would any of you ever be bold enough to paint a HUGE, and I mean HUGE MURAL of a little white girl on the side of a public school in HARLEM????????

Think about it... Who would do that????

If you were foolish enough to paint a mural on a public school, wouldn't you at least think to represent various races so that all children would feel represented and welcome?

It is obvious that this was done intentionally to cause racial tensions.

Why was this federally funded with a government grant in financial times such as these????

I am no genius, but I would have thought to equally display various races in a mural on a school building. (even one that is predominately white)

The way the child in the mural is so predominately portrayed,
it is really in your face no matter what race the child is portrayed as.

I would not like the mural, if the mural were of a white child and I were black.

This is a set up and everyone is playing right into it.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Do NOT ignore this post!

Stop baiting each other into arguments. The events surrounding the mural are the topic, not each other OR the AZ law.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Honestly, the very fact that race is being used as a manipulative tool in the immigration debate is where the conspiracy is here.

It is even more disgusting that an elementary school is being brought into this.

The immigration issue, and racism should be seen as separate issues, otherwise propaganda and destructive agendas will win.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5 oClock

So Arizona just keeps showing their racism.

And so do you with the posts and responses. It's your way or noway huh?

I love responses like this.

Exactly WHO or what RACE am I racist towards???

I have never understood this logic.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by illusions

If you were foolish enough to paint a mural on a public school, wouldn't you at least think to represent various races so that all children would feel represented and welcome?

I don't think it was foolish to paint a mural on the school...in fact it was funded by a state grant to do it. Also...it has pictures of 4 actual students...it just so happens the main on in the mural is hispanic.

The mural, which was funded by a state grant, features the faces of four actual students at the school and is intended to promote biking and other environmentally sustainable modes of transportation. The most prominent face on it belongs to a Latino student.

I don't see any controversy in the mural itself...the paintings are of actual children that go to the school...it isn't like the artist just decided to paint a hispanic kid on an all white school.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

The mural is an obvious set up.

If YOU, yourself were painting a HUGE and I mean HUGE mural
on the front of a public school,
would YOU, yourself not be considerate enough
to think of equally representing children of various races
so that children of all races would feel welcome?????

Do you think that those who run our public schools are not aware
that they need to represent all races equally
so that children of all races feel welcome???????

This is an obvious set up.

It is OBVIOUS that a public school should represent children of all races
and make them all feel welcome and comfortable there.

If I were black, I would not feel comfortable sending my child
to a school with this HUGE mural covering the entire front of the school
if it were of a white child.

And to "white wash" the little boy's face in the mural
will obviously insite further racial tension.
This is just insulting to anyone with intelligence.

Would YOU have been so thoughtless
to paint a HUGE mural of only one race of child
on a public school that is there to serve all races??????

Would YOU have been so thoughtless
to then suggest "whitening" the HUGE face
of the little boy in the mural?????

Would YOU have ever suggested such a thing?

Then WHY do you think that TPTB have?????
Do you really think that TPTB are that stupid????

Whoever is behind this incident needs to be held responsible.
They are either inept or purposely trying to incite racial tension.

They should not hold a public position
as they are a poor representative of the people and their children.
Whoever is responsible is a disgrace as a public servant.

This is an obvious set up to incite racial tension.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join