It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple question with no simple answer.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Love or Hate; which is stronger?

I have given this a lot of thought recently due mainly to the amount of anger I feel growing all around me.

I have been taught that love is stronger than hate and can cure all ills but when I look deeply at the power of love I see many cracks in its armor.

Many deaths can be attributed to hate but just as many can be attributed to love.

What is the difference between killing for hate or killing for love?

What is the difference between dying for hate or dying for love?

Is it just the same coin and the person who is holding it gets to call heads or tails?

[edit on 2-6-2010 by NightSkyeB4Dawn]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Show love not hate, for your actions will be your fate.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Love is the desire to give at the expense of self.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheUltimateEnd
Show love not hate, for your actions will be your fate.

nice! But ya show love toward everyone "love your enemies"- Jesus

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
As a eclectic pagan LOVE is the law, Love under will....

After studying a lot of religious texts, and practice the one thread that goes through every religion, the one cord that threads them together is LOVE!

Love of god, love of fellow man, love of liberty, love of non-existence..... and on and on and on

The most powerful expression of the super natural/translucence/thought form usual accompanies love as the carrier wave in order to propagate to the universe.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

a simple answer.

Hate comes from Love.

Love is, and always will be, stronger.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
oooh... philosophical question...

Love is a more subtle emotion and has delayed effects. Hate is a stronger emotion with immediate consequence.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

My own subjective opinion and I am biased too

Love is an energy that is stronger than hate because love creates something superior, causes a blazing greatness within our hearts and is as pure as the sun when you feel it in its true form. Love takes something and makes it bigger, it creates the arts and causes us to want to excel in all things for the joy of it because with love everything is possible, and everything finds its own peace.

Hate is black and bitter tasting to the soul, it tears down the world, it can bring about a sea of bloody tears and it is recognised for the aberration it is by always feeding the hearts of the damaged, feeding and growing until it can grow and feed no longer as it devours all and everything in its path.

Once hate runs out of steam it collapses and withers away allowing a time of rebirth to what remains. The only people who might find a use for hate are those reptiles who care not how many lives are expended in the effort of coveting because to the hater all that matters is spreading their version of love – love via a sword in the name of something they may think is love but is really only a contemptuous form of control for the sake of something that they might covet.

Die for your country because you love it so, die for your god because he “wills it” and he so loves your sacrifice, slay the heathen because only your god knows love, all other gods know nothing and by existing they are in the way of the spreading of your gods love.

Love would never cause another to be inspired to lay down a life for something that does not matter because love is as pure as a new born child. Love is that energy you experience that has no comparison that when you love you would never envisage harm coming to the target of your love because love is like that - amazing.

Hatred would see one misconstrue hate as love and cause one to think that one could love something so much that one can destroy half the world or a people, that such love is justified in maiming and burning and casting into the earth all that might disagree with another’s twisted version of love – hate disguised and perverted to another’s grim cause.

Love is everything, it was always about the love and everything else is secondary and when more of us get this fact, and it is a fact then perhaps we can finally stop murdering each other for the slightest of things and when we see the beauty of another’s breath and the song of their voice, the light in the eyes then and only then will we find that we are at last on the long road back to the truth of our humanity and our real heritage.

Hatred thus is in the sewer whereas love is in the heights, in the sunlight and kissed by zephyrs. Hate squirms down there like a thing in the dirt with the worms and bacteria and those that think that hate can be put to a use will be doomed to repeat the lesson for as many times as is needed until they truly understand what it is that is truly important in this world.

It was and is always about the love, hate is an energy that is always going to be doomed to turn to smoke and dust, as it should do because there is no comparison in my eyes between the two.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

The law of polarity is very interesting. We must have one to experience the other.
So love or hate? They're both equal as far as emotional fuel is concerned.

The healthy opposite of love is indifference.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by One Moment

That is to assume that love and hate are polarities, according to most religions love is the balance point, between hate and lust. (other there abouts). Kaballah says that lust is the passive king the anabolism in the body, the need to procreate. While Catabolism is the warrior king of hate the breaking down, to hate. The balance point lies in the center of love

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by NecromancerYHVH

That is to assume that love and hate are polarities, according to most religions love is the balance point, between hate and lust. (other there abouts). Kaballah says that lust is the passive king the anabolism in the body, the need to procreate. While Catabolism is the warrior king of hate the breaking down, to hate. The balance point lies in the center of love

Well you may have something but I think if I were to apply that reasoning/belief than I'd be limited to other Humans only.

I mean, I can love or hate the taste of a food. Or love or hate an experience (like my work day). Or love or hate the weather.

Certainly I wouldn't have any lust for those things.

I think this is an example as to why I don't subscribe to any religions.
Interesting topic though. Thanks

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeJaguar67

Your post was poetic and beautiful but I don't know if I can accept all of it as it is written.

I don’t think all people find peace in love. For many love can bring a weighted agony that does not bring joy or peace.

If love is about everything and so powerful why does hatred reign supreme? If everything started with love then love became hate when twisted and misconstrued.

So love and hate is the same thing; just in different states. Like H2O; liquid, gas, or solid. It is the same formula.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Its about the dialog right....

Lust is a terrible word for the described opposite, but the complex idea involves the craving, the need for.......I crave an apple, I would like a pie to satisfy me.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
That's not a hard question at all! Love! It's the stuff of creation itself. Metaphysically it utilizes the ultimate reality, that we are all one. Through it we see that others are just a reflection of ourselves. Hate uses a limited source of energy, it is destructive and not creative which diminishes it's own power. Hate seperates. Love unites. But the darkness let's us see the light. Think of it like electricity, positive & negative are necessary to make the energy flow. Choose Love it's the way to union with the Eternal Creator.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
oooh... philosophical question...

Love is a more subtle emotion and has delayed effects. Hate is a stronger emotion with immediate consequence.
The two are not mutually exclusive.

I don't want to believe this. That is why I am hoping that someone can give me an answer that proves different. Yet love is an emotion that is spoken of in such a general manner that it is often flighty and has very little weight. When it does have weight it is usually as calamitous as hate.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment

The law of polarity is very interesting. We must have one to experience the other.
So love or hate? They're both equal as far as emotional fuel is concerned.

The healthy opposite of love is indifference.

Why not compassion? It is on the same shelf but does not require a commitment.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

I would guess that physiologically, there's not much difference in the arousal state between hate and love. Both essentially involve increased heart rate, breathing, pupil dilation, and all that other stuff. It's all just a reaction to possible danger. So I'm going with the "two sides of the same coin" opinion, and say that it all depends on your perspective.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

What is the difference between killing for love or killing for love?

Well, DUH! There is not difference at all as they are obviously identical!

LOGIC 101...

"killing for love" must equal "killing for love"

[edit on 2-6-2010 by airvicemarshal]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Love is stronger than hate. Love, on a basic level, needs no energy to maintain. Hate(anger) takes a tremendous amount of energy to maintain. Trust me, I was an angry person until my early 30's. I didn't realize how tiring it was at the time but I do now. Energy has it's limits, thus love is stronger. Make sense?

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Hate is stronger. It kills you from the inside out. Yes love can do the same but at a slower pace. So I'll take the love. I guess I'm a sucker for self torture.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join