It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A simple question with no simple answer.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 10:55 PM
link   
There always seems to be three of anything..

Time: Past, present, future..
Reactions: Positive, neutral, negative....

If there is a third side, I would say its "content"
Not "I love you im buying you roses everyday"(positive?), and not, "jesus why cant you listen to me"(negative?), just being content with whatever is. so that would be an "=" sign.

see, only three.

Dont know about dimensions, Im sure some emoitional guru has the whole spectrum of human emotion mapped out in some 3d model somewhere...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

However, love in my opinion is stronger in a sense that it gives you more control than hate. Hate needs some form of fear, it "relies" on something. Love relies on nothing.

You covered a lot of ground in your post. It has given me a lot to think about.

I am not sure though that I understand what you mean when you say that love relies on nothing.

Are you speaking of unconditional love for a person or love in general?

I think that most people do love for a reason, just as they hate for a reason. I believe that you can love without understanding why you love, but again I think you can hate without understanding why you hate.

I am stuck on the hate relies on fear part. I agree that often hate is generated by fear but I do not think that this is always the case.

Like I said you have given me much to think about.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
There always seems to be three of anything..

Time: Past, present, future..
Reactions: Positive, neutral, negative....

If there is a third side, I would say its "content"
Not "I love you im buying you roses everyday"(positive?), and not, "jesus why cant you listen to me"(negative?), just being content with whatever is. so that would be an "=" sign.

see, only three.

Dont know about dimensions, Im sure some emoitional guru has the whole spectrum of human emotion mapped out in some 3d model somewhere...

But isn't contentment just a level of degrees.

Can you not be content in your hatred as well as content in your love or lack of it?

I think if there are more sides then there would be four.

1. Love
2. Hate
3. Compassion
4. Indifference

Of course I maybe all the way wrong that is why I am here.

I appreciate all the responses and I have deeply considered each of them.

All of your responses have been extremely helpful.

I did not know we had so many talented writers here at ATS.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
reply to post by juveous

However, love in my opinion is stronger in a sense that it gives you more control than hate. Hate needs some form of fear, it "relies" on something. Love relies on nothing.

You covered a lot of ground in your post. It has given me a lot to think about.

I am not sure though that I understand what you mean when you say that love relies on nothing.

Are you speaking of unconditional love for a person or love in general?

I think that most people do love for a reason, just as they hate for a reason. I believe that you can love without understanding why you love, but again I think you can hate without understanding why you hate.

I am stuck on the hate relies on fear part. I agree that often hate is generated by fear but I do not think that this is always the case.

Like I said you have given me much to think about.

Yes you can hate or love without ever knowing why, but I have never heard of unconditional hate. You may not know why you act out hate, but I feel it is a strange way of coping with "control". While love does not want control, but freedom.

When I say hate relies on fear - to be more specific to the above paragraph, I mean - fear of not getting what you want, and what you want is your own idea of what "should be". Some people believe they are more important than others. Some people believe they "should be" more important than others. When you act out hate, you envision that something does not agree with you and what you believe "should be". How do you respond to those that do not agree with you? Well, you make them agree or you make sure they never have the freedom to disagree ever again. This is an extreme, but it is an escalation of how strongly you want something or someone to agree with your "should be's". It's like your own internal rules - if people don't like them, people get punished.

Now if what I say about love relies on nothing and only wants freedom is true, this would mean that what ever reason you believe you love for, cannot violate freedom, and cannot attempt to control - even if this means loving for more love. - It goes back to intent. - Love is mysterious because it is still a feeling, and regardless of what causes it, love remains even when you try to control it, or negotiate with it. The feeling will still remain, until you lose control. I would not like to say this is an illusion, but in part it is. You would hate to lose the feeling, and are using love as a control, but this would violate my definition that love wants freedom and not control. Thus it is only partially love.

Unconditional love to me, is the same thing as normal love. No difference. But people noticed that we have used it for control, thus we have had to separate the two definitions to define their specificity.

edit: going back to my previous comment about how I said love "gives you more control" - this is in reference to personal control - freedom to act. - not the control of others - although as I have just stated above the latter can be true.

[edit on 3-6-2010 by juveous]

[edit on 3-6-2010 by juveous]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

My personal understanding of it is that Love builds things up, hate tears things down.
But it is all relative, what is good for me, may be bad for you, what is exciting, may be boring. The reality is that we all see things from a different perspective and our collective viewing of it, is what builds it. If I refuse to see the black, then I refuse to paint the black, therefore black does not exist within the collective manifestation. But that is only my personal knowing of black, and yours is entirely different than mine, so it can not be said.
The question you put forth is one which is laborious to answer, for the knowing and the doing are not the same, yet they are of the same source, and therein reside. It is their residence which give birth to all myriad of emotions and actions, and all things have their roots in it, though they two are one, yet are they also singularly defined.
In my life it can be defined thusly,
Mine eye shall be glad, as a mighty one when he rises, I shall build me up, I shall tear me down, I shall be washed in seas of wine, and lifted, carried upon the wings of the wind, yet I shall lay me down, and mine eye shall be glad, as a mighty one when she rises.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

LOVE!

Love is stronger than anything there is!

Hate is not the opposite of love, btw
Fear is.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

LOVE!

Love is stronger than anything there is!

Hate is not the opposite of love, btw
Fear is.

I don't think fear is the opposite of hate but its companion.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Hatred is a weakness people who possess lots of hate tend to have bad health problems eventually do to the negative stress they keep bottled in usually.

Love is strength and with it you can overcome many if not all obsticals. It also generates positive energy naturally thats why most people who maintain loving true loving energies tend to be more healthy not like all perfect healthy but good attitude attributed to love from around them healthy we will make it feeling.

So these two are about as = as GOD and NATAS creator and the created1.

[edit on 6/3/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Thank you for your reply. Do not think of love as in emotional terms, such as romantic love. I think therein lies the problem, the majority of the Planet equates love with flowers, chocolate and genitals. Love is the creative force of the Cosmos. Thereby it permeates every particle within the Cosmos. So in your statement, "hate uniting more people in history", these unifications you speak of are miniscule in proportion. The History that you speak of is the past. Past, present and future exist simultaneously. Hate is liken to a computer virus. It is created and launched to facilitate a group delusion of let us say, a shared enemy. An enemy created to produce a manufactured conflict for the purpose of subjegation. Subjegation of the infected as well as the target. The energy of the infected is consumed. The energy of the target is consumed. Energy metaphysically and material goods in the physical World are consumed by the negative entities which initiated the virus. On a singular level one can mentally create hate, a self induce suppression of the immune system if you will. In this respect hate seperates the singular deluded hate creator from the whole. Just as the hate creator can create hate, he/she may also wake up and deside that this hate thing is getting me no where and create love. Name one thing hate has ever created? What can you say? A Gulag, a concentration camp? Nothing, meaningless when compared to the entire Cosmos which was created by love. Negative and positive must coexist in balance. Think of electricity, positve and negative are needed to make energy flow. Negativity pushes us toward the positive eventually. Even the most die hard service to self entity will eventually come to a dead end. To continue the entity will have to change polarity and become positive. We must love everything in creation. We may not like everything but we must love it. We must realize that as we gaze into anothers face we see a reflection of ourself, perhaps just a different aspect of ourself. This is also the Eternal Creator who permeates all even the smallest particle. So we come to our world where things are out of balance. Balance will be restored and is being restored as we speak. I know dear reader you can feel it, the same as I can. Something wonderful is about to happen. Could it be....Love?

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

[edit on 3-6-2010 by Klaatumagnum]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   

yes fear and hate are buddies

what i meant in that post, however is that the opposite of LOVE is fear -
not the opposite of hate is fear.

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Love or Hate, which is stronger?

Irrelevant, they both need PASSION and that's where the strength lies.

[edit on 3/6/2010 by nerbot]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

Passionless people can they either love or hate?
You brought up an excellent point in my humble opinion

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

I have to agree with this. Passionless love and hate are inert.

Yet with the right catalyst both can either become explosive or can be diminished.

Passion does play a role in the transitions and reactions demonstrated with love and hate.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Love and Hate is the same thing

you see what some see as Love others see as Hate and visa versa

Love and Hate both give you that feeling in your gut it just ether feels good or not judging your emotions but at the end of the day it is the same gut feeling

One can't be around without the other, so nether is stronger
☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NickyBlue
Love and Hate is the same thing

you see what some see as Love others see as Hate and visa versa

Love and Hate both give you that feeling in your gut it just ether feels good or not judging your emotions but at the end of the day it is the same gut feeling

One can't be around without the other, so nether is stronger
☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯ ☯

I am too am leaning towards the coin theory. One coin. Heads or tails. It just depends on how you call it.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Neither.. The capacity for both lies equally within all of us..

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Neither.. The capacity for both lies equally within all of us..

I agree that the we all have the capacity to both love and to hate. I think that emotions are natural and spontaneous. I think that we are taught to control our emotions and that societal norms dictate what is the acceptable expression for each. I also believe that our society may play a large role in labeling our emotions so that one man's love could be another man's hate.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have a hard time expressing my emotions. If I'm completely pissed at someone, there is a good chance they won't even know. Unfortunately the same thing happens when I love someone. For whatever reason I just can't get the person to understand how I feel.
I don't know if I am going to get my point across, or if I am just going to be rambling, but I am going to say that love is stronger than hate.
I have been in love with the same person for about five years. (person 1)
I have passionately hated another person for about five years. (person 2)
Sure, I quite frequently want to beat the sh*t out of person 2, but so far that's about as far as that has gone.
But every time I see/ hear/ think about person 1 I like her more than the last time I saw/ heard/ thought about her. So while hate has built up and leveled off, love has continued to grow indefinitely.
Sorry if I rambled...

Good thread, by the way.

posted on Jun, 8 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by zamo1993
I have a hard time expressing my emotions. If I'm completely pissed at someone, there is a good chance they won't even know. Unfortunately the same thing happens when I love someone. For whatever reason I just can't get the person to understand how I feel.
I don't know if I am going to get my point across, or if I am just going to be rambling, but I am going to say that love is stronger than hate.
I have been in love with the same person for about five years. (person 1)
I have passionately hated another person for about five years. (person 2)
Sure, I quite frequently want to beat the sh*t out of person 2, but so far that's about as far as that has gone.
But every time I see/ hear/ think about person 1 I like her more than the last time I saw/ heard/ thought about her. So while hate has built up and leveled off, love has continued to grow indefinitely.
Sorry if I rambled...

Good thread, by the way.

I really enjoyed your post and it has added a different slant to this conundrum. I can see a situation were love can continue to grow while hate is allowed to fester but again I can see a situation were it could also be the opposite.

I think the answer to this question is going to be subjective. I don't think that there is one right answer that fits everybody and I think that it is ever changing.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join