It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nigeria's agony dwarfs the Gulf oil spill. The US and Europe ignore it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Why the hell are you asking me? Its not my thread, Im just posting in it. If you have an issue with something I specifically said, quote it, and I will address it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Why the hell are you asking me? Its not my thread, Im just posting in it. If you have an issue with something I specifically said, quote it, and I will address it.

Because I'm an idiot who got sidetracked. I started out to respond to a post by you and then forgot to change the post when I when I decided to respond to the entire thread instead.

Beat me, kick me and make me eat dirt

I edited the post to fix it. Sorry.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

It should become a UN issue. We should get involved and try to resolve the issues the citizens of Nigeria currently face. Not just us as in the United States, but the entire planet. No one should be left in such extreme and inhumane conditions as the Nigerians are left in. I know, it's very simplistic to say "let them deal with it" when you have more than they will ever have...but it's time to stop being selfish for once. No one wants war and no one wants to remove the Nigerian government. Instead, put pressure on them and the oil companies. Give Nigerians a better country to reside in.

But of course, we have our own issues here at home to take care of first.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Except the UN is ran by a bunch of crooks who are mostly nations in just as bad of condition. These people are even more under the thumb of the IC's.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Problem is countries like China buy Nigerian oil too, and they really don't give a damn about where, or how its being produced. This has created an environment based on low regulations.
Still I'd rather we lost some business than fall to their level. Problem is its not even a question of that; Western companies, (such as BP) is causing damage too, nobody chases them here in the West, and if it did it might stop.

One solution might be to make it more profitable for private law firms, to prosecute BP. Sometimes litigation is the best form of "regulation"!!!

[edit on 090705 by Liberal1984]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

You can look at how our governments act, and rightfully be scornful, but dont confuse that with the sentiments of the people of those nations.

Your statement may be true, but how long are we going to go with that excuse? Isn't it about time that we demanded some accountability and truth from those that we elect?

Isn't it about time we took some sort of control over who gets in??

Just sayin.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Aren't most of the spills on the Nigerian Delta, caused by people illegally tapping into the pipelines, to steal crude oil? I seem to recall reading several articles about this, over the last year. They shoot/drill a hole into pipeline, get as much oil as they can carry, and leave, letting high-pressure crude shoot-out, over the countryside.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotgal
Aren't most of the spills on the Nigerian Delta, caused by people illegally tapping into the pipelines, to steal crude oil? I seem to recall reading several articles about this, over the last year. They shoot/drill a hole into pipeline, get as much oil as they can carry, and leave, letting high-pressure crude shoot-out, over the countryside.

This is more from the OP's article,

Last month Shell admitted to spilling 14,000 tonnes of oil in 2009. The majority, said the company, was lost through two incidents – one in which the company claims that thieves damaged a wellhead at its Odidi field and another where militants bombed the Trans Escravos pipeline. Shell, which works in partnership with the Nigerian government in the delta, says that 98% of all its oil spills are caused by vandalism, theft or sabotage by militants and only a minimal amount by deteriorating infrastructure. "We had 132 spills last year, as against 175 on average. Safety valves were vandalised; one pipe had 300 illegal taps. We found five explosive devices on one. Sometimes communities do not give us access to clean up the pollution because they can make more money from compensation," said a spokesman.

You can't analyze the condition of the Nigerian society in the mindset of the United States, it's entirely a different game.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obzkure

You can't analyze the condition of the Nigerian society in the mindset of the United States, it's entirely a different game.

Your quote above is correct, but I also feel that you can not take the word of the company for whom or what has cause damaging spills such as these.

It would be good if we could hear from some in Nigeria.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

Now I see why the BP heads feel this was not a major issue and why the wording of the incident has been "THIS IS THE WORST OIL DISASTER FOR AMERICA". It is sad and now that I think about it I did see a documentary about this about a year or two ago covering this same topic what a joke these oil companies play on the general populace.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I can't really say the oil companies look at a spill like this as joke. With in the U.S. at least there are laws that make those at fault liable. That is why I wanted to post the Nigeria thread. Because it seems there either the government or the company just don't care enough to clean up the spills or to repair the aging pipes.

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I've worked in Africa- Ivory Coast. Africa, is a TOTALLY DIFFERENT world, from ANYWHERE else. Human life=$ZERO. You might be killed, just for looking at someone.
I'm NOT saying, that EVERY African is evil, but- there are a LOT of evil creatures, in Africa.
It is a shame- there are some absolutely beautiful places, there. I have a very close friend, in Nigeria. Visiting there, was scary. I felt safer, at our Gold-Mning Camp, out in the of nowhere!! At least we were armed to the teeth!

posted on Jun, 21 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

and for that matter the consumers don't care for it either. no shouted boycot ... or death to ... like they are screaming know... talk about denying ignorance...

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thanks for both your comments.
It is always good to hear some first hand experience from people who have been to different places.

posted on Jun, 22 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
That truly does suck for Nigeria. I heard last night on the news that BP is going to drill in Antarctica 2 miles down and then sideways. The 6 month hiatus doesn't apply because they are going to build an artificial island with rocks...I can't find anything on the web about this so maybe I fell asleep for a second and had a quick dream.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join