It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP's new plan risks worsening oil spill by 20%.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   

BP's new plan risks worsening oil spill by 20%.

www.latimes.com

A maneuver that includes severing a leaking pipe from the well may increase the flow as much as 20%. Officials also say there is no immediate remedy to plug the well until August.

The risky maneuver, part of an attempt to contain the gusher and divert the oil through a pipe to the surface, could begin Monday or Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
That doesn't seem to appetizing to me. We need it to stop, not get bigger.
Here's more;
White House energy advisor Carol Browner told NBC's "Meet the Press." "Obviously that's not the preferred scenario. We always knew that the relief well was the permanent way to close this.… Now we move to the third option, which is to contain it."

They haven't been able contain it so far so what makes them think they can do this now?

More from Browner;
"We're going to hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

This whole article is depressing and offers no hope or real optimism for succeeding.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Once again... an entire WEBSITE chock full of ideas from people, and not ONE idea can be used????

I no longer think this is an 'accident'. I think it's been planned, and their lies and crap are going to start to boomerang. Especially around Louisiana.... In fact, I may email the LA govt and share. Unless someone wants to beat me to it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
SO here we see, the giants of the world, oil industry, thinking they own everything and cant fix a catastrophic disaster they created. Sad thing is, most likely WE the taxpayers are gunna be stuck with BP amocco's bill too.
i read the article yesterday, bp calling thier employees little piggys'.
my ideas were.... carve one one of ginat rock/boulder so it fits or overfits into hole, acting as a temporary plug at least.
syphon or lead a new pipe, then let the oil flow into wiating ships or barrels or something.
pour reinforced cement down the damn oil hole.
i hope ammocco goes bankrupt after this

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Why can't they just insert an industrial sized balloon down in the hole and inflate it? That would fill any gaps and plug the hole I'm guessing. I am not an expert but it seems logical none the less.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
This is, the worst oil spill in history.

We can only hope no hurricanes bring that oil ashore.

This is when things get interesting folks.

The $hit is about to hit the fan.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wylekat

"I no longer think this is an 'accident'. I think it's been planned"

As criminal the behaviour is of BP and the American Government, I cannot believe that. What is the motive? Oil is money and this will make large a dent into their profits. This is just gross negligence, induced by greed and short-sightedness.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
thats an interesting idea!
i saw this show a month ago, on channel 170 or something, about city home water supply lines and sewers. Some citys today, what they do, is use this blue polymer. the insert it into the pipes, and as it blow-rolls out via psi pressue, it lines old pipes reinforcing them, so citys dont have to dig up streets to replace old rotted out pipes. dunno why, it gave me an idea somehow as a usable tool to pulg the oil well.
another of mine, was to send a robot arm or something down thier, and create new channels and bodies off the center of the oil hole. oil coming up would flow into those new channels then into new body holes. but just realized, prob wouldnt work, as the water would still cause it to upheave to the surface.
i think adding a pipe or something to the hole at least to collect as much of the oil coming up as possible, and fill waiting crude ships with it.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
thier isnt some chemcial around these days, thats water resistant, yet makes a tight seal? ive seen workers use a kind of foam that sprays on to keep rodents coming in form cracks in concrete walls. im thinking thiers gotta be something out thier like that,t hat can work with crud n salt water*
appraently we arnt that technologically advanced then. this is making obamas administration lok terrible n bad

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
re tap the well!!! from another side of it! get another oil rig out thier, or a ship n re tap the well n suck it dry*!!!!

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
[edit on 31-5-2010 by soconfused]

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

I believe that BP was grossly negligent in safety precautions. But, they are losing millions of dollars a day over this. (I heard an estimate of 1 billion to date to fix this.)

Some of you have the nerve to think they'd just let it go like that? "Hey just another day. -yawn-"

Before now, the worst oil disaster in Mexico in 1979 took NINE MONTHS to fix, and that was in 169 feet of water! This one is in 5,000 feet of water! Bit of challenge if you ask me! BP started drilling for the same fix procedure (relief well) that helped fix the one in Mexico on May 1 (and a second on May 16).

With the way some of you are thinking, they should have just waited until everything else failed before starting these procedures. Instead, they started it 10 days after, and about 30 days ago for the first one. And, even though they weren't fully confidant that these top kill and junk procedures would work, they tried them anyway in the meantime.

I suspect negligence in their safety procedures, and I think this could have been prevented. But, geez, to some of you it's like they're not even trying at all.

And, so you are all prepared, the oil spill is Mexico did not work permanently the first time. It blew out and was sealed / repaired shortly afterward. So, if this doesn't work the first time, let's not say "oh they planned it all along ZOMG!"

As for some posts I've read about it being "environmental extinction," that is pure trash talk. The Mexican spill resulted in losses for 2 years. If the BP spill is fixed in time, assuming all else is equal (it ISN'T as our Gulf is bit of a deadzone already), then things will be recovered within 6 years.

If my message seems "too hopeful" or "ignorant," well, I'm tired of reading all the doom and gloom and expecting some worldwide extinction.

Feel free to look up the Mexico 1979 oil spill:
www.usatoday.com...

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by soconfused
This is crazy! We can send a man to the moon but we can't plug a hole. WTH!

Exactly, because going 5,000 feet under water plus the extra distance drilling to get under the sea floor means that the oil is spewing out hard enough to rip your face off.

Most people here would call 911 if water started shooting up in their front yard even if it only required shutting off the main valve.

It's a BIT complicated so settle down.

They started doing the work they expected to stop the oil 10 days after it blew. It takes 3 months to finish, so they're already a month in IF you want to try to see the bright side of things instead of panicking like it's the end of the world. Be glad you aren't part of the team out there on the water having to do the dirty work and having the pressure of making decisions while the world stands by watching and complaining as if they're the real experts!

Keep quiet if you don't know what to do. And I suspect you don't, since engineers around the world haven't figured it out yet because it's so deep. Compared to Mexico's 1979 accident, this is much more difficult.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I never thought this would be an easy fix. And I am in no way qualified to suggest any solutions but I do care and would hate to see a lot of innocent wild life die because of this.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by glitchinmymatrix

Originally posted by soconfused
This is crazy! We can send a man to the moon but we can't plug a hole. WTH!

Exactly, because going 5,000 feet under water plus the extra distance drilling to get under the sea floor means that the oil is spewing out hard enough to rip your face off.

Most people here would call 911 if water started shooting up in their front yard even if it only required shutting off the main valve.

It's a BIT complicated so settle down.

Like you said it is complicated. Unfortunately, the engineers from around the world that have experience are employed with competing oil companies, who, by the way, are waiting til BP goes belly up before they come to the rescue. Nothing personal, just business. The ideas are pretty much the same, the relief well on lower ground will relieve the pressure just enough to get a cap on the leaky area.

I just don't understand why BP is claiming that they are going to cut the pipe to try and cap it when their own advisors are telling them to leave it alone because it won't work until the pressure is relieved. If they do cut the pipe before the relief well is completed, it will be an intentional act of criminal negligence. This must be a red herring they are throwing out to appease the couch potatos because I just can't see so many experts being ignorred.

Even if they do make the hugest mistake in the life of the corporation, are they going to continue using "don't ask, don't tell" inferior materials just to save a few billion for the investors pockets?

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
There was a very similar situation that happened on June 3 1979. Everything BP is trying now was tried back then and it all failed. The only thing that worked was drilling two relief wells. It took nine months to get the 1979 spill contained and it was only in 200 ft of water. The pressure at 5000 ft below the surface is a lot more. I wouldn't be suprised if this spill took longer to contain. Scientist were saying that this spill could kill half of the life in the Gulf of Mexico. This is going to have a world-wide impact.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
BP pushes ahead with LMRP cap ow.ly... #BP #LMRP #cap #tin #foil #hat #fail #missing #flow #robots #flow #dynamics #physics #fuid

ow.ly...

The idea that the ships would be "pumping" faster and harder than the oil gushing OUT didn't work before...what makes anyone think that they could do the reverse without oil flowing AROUND their "Tin Foil Hat" ??

Bob...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Finally, admissions that the government does not know what to do have been made. BP is still holding out; however, in its British way has nodded its admission that they can't stop the gusher until the relief wells are up and running. What this means is that BP will be employing delay tactics implementing the latest "no-win" cap idea.

BP's own financial advisors have informed them that people are far more upset over the mess than they are of the failed attempts to stop the leak. While BP is looking busy on the cap [they are not going to attempt yet], they, in a joined effort with our government, will be initiating a "help us" campaign for cleaning up the mess. Volunteers, of course, will be asked to donate time. Within a week, hazmet suits will be available for purchase for anyone who wants to donate some time.

Knowing that they may not get the number of volunteers that they need, under the table, they will be offering compensation to anyone who wants to make a few bucks skimming oil to sell back to BP. They are hoping that the fisherman in the areas will bite on this idea. If they get a major hit on this tactic, they will follow through with the cutting of the pipe.

A huge camp site is already under construction. The public is misled into believing it is for the 1500 BP employees but BP is only planning on sending a couple hundred to oversee volunteers and sub-contractors. Read the fine print before signing the agreement. Health insurance companies are totally against this move; however, the hospitals are already gearing up. The disclosure [to make the insurance companies happy] will have you waive your rights on the long-term health effects.

If BP gets enough positive feedback over the clean up effort, they and other oil companies are going to sneak in an increase in oil prices. The plan is a gradual increase here and there of a few cents at the pump that they believe will be hardly noticeable. Because other oil companies will be profitting, its a win-win-lose tactic. Our government has agreed to turn a blind eye, temporarily. If it works, BP and the other oil giants can go forward. If people get wise and start pointing fingers, the candidates up for re-election will bring down the hammer.

It is all about manipulating belief to change the perception of reality. The leak started because of inferior materials and lack of safety precautions and pretty much stupidity all around but now it has grown into a full blown conspiracy. BP knows now that people will be begging them to cut the pipe so money can be made. Until they are begged to do it, they will delay.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
ET Disclosure, here we go...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
thier isnt some chemcial around these days, thats water resistant, yet makes a tight seal? ive seen workers use a kind of foam that sprays on to keep rodents coming in form cracks in concrete walls. im thinking thiers gotta be something out thier like that,t hat can work with crud n salt water*
appraently we arnt that technologically advanced then. this is making obamas administration lok terrible n bad

Keep in mind the tremendous pressure you're dealing with in just an "ambient" state 1 mile underwater, then consider the pressure of the oil coming out of that well head. So no, no industrial sized balloons or carved rocks or epoxy resins are viable solutions, temporary or long-term.

The sad fact of the matter is that drilling for oil a mile underwater is an amazingly complex process and clearly people thought more about that sweet delicious crude and the money it would bring and not the "doomsday" scenario that we're all currently enjoying on a daily basis.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join