It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hemp Fiber Could Absorb Oil From Gulf Coast Spill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Absolutely right - we can get it from Canada! Here is a link telling about the fiber and where we can get it.

www.hempline.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I know hemp fiber could be used to "absorb the oil" but if just soaking up the oil was the method they used to clean oil spill couldn't they just use a bunch of sham-wows? Don't get me wrong i know if hemp was legal there would be no crime all those people in prison would probably be working for NASA (because there would be no more crime) and we would all be driving hover cars.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I am curious about why this was moved. Hemp is not illegal due to illicit substance abuse. Hemp is illegal due to excessive lobbying from the pulp & paper corporations in the early 1900's. I should know, I grew up in a pulp and paper town and one of my great-grandfathers owned a hemp fiber operation.

Also, many hemp products are NOT illegal. Am I breaking the ATS rules because I drank some commercially produced hemp milk at a sustainable living convention over the weekend?

So why is this in Alt. Sub. Conspiracies? Over-reactive moderators? A misunderstanding regarding the nature of Hemp and it's uses (Both historical and modern)?

Really, I'm curious here.

EDIT: Edited to add that Hemp is only really restricted in the USA now. Canada relaxed it's laws regarding Hemp in the late 1990's (Coinciding with the collapse of the lumber industry in BC, oddly enough) and now a wide variety of commercial hemp industries are springing up.

[edit on 1-6-2010 by D.E.M.]

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
We have lots of ways to clean up the oil spill just no one is really doing anything about it..

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by D.E.M.

I have been wondering the same. Hopefully a mod reads this and moves it to the appropriate section.

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Quite so. Hemp itself is not an illegal substance and only tangentially related to actual drugs. If people wish to confuse the two and discuss substance abuse, the proper moderator action is to delete the posts as off-topic, not hide the thread elsewhere!

posted on Jun, 1 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I did notice the links saying that hemp is the "most absorbent natural fiber" but they are not really saying how absorbent it is. I know dried sphagnum moss can hold 30 times its dry weight but they are not mentioning how much hemp can hold.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Yeah i would like to take this time to point out a couple things. Hemp fiber and hemp products are not illegal in the US only growing it is. So it is probably not so much an issue of hemp not being used because of legal status, it is not being used because it is a retarded half baked idea on how to clean up the oil spill. Like most "activists" people will dream up the most retarded uses for the hemp products. The problem is not that we do not have ways to clean up oil better than just throwing something absorbent into the water the problem is that it all keeps flowing out.
And depending who you ask hemp is either "the most absorbent natural fiber" or very water resistant
www.jesus-is-savior.com...
www.harbay.net...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I just posted this in another thread. Hemp will save the world. We have been duoed for 80+ years. Big corperations would lose if hemp was allowed to grow.
vimeo.com...

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

Well, i think the site has certian rules and people who can't follow them get banned. It is a problem which cures itself.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Enough of the personal talk about drug use. Follow the rules of this forum or more warns and possible bans will be handed out.

Please do not post anymore in this forum until you read the rules - here.

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
well im not talking about drug use im talking about a solution to the oil spill. it seems like it was moved here to hide it from others. Hemp is not a drug, nor are the products illegal its just illegal to grow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join