It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hemp Fiber Could Absorb Oil From Gulf Coast Spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Hemp which was planted in the fields surrounding Chernobyl to remove radioactive elements after the 1886 explosion— should put to work in the Gulf as well. But first off it we used hemp as our oil source if it was spilled in the gulf animals would just have more food it is not toxic and would be cheap.

That means oil companies would start losing money witch will probably not happen for a while.

There are so much benefits of hemp and it replenishes the soil unlike cotton witch removes all the nutrients.

Hemp fiber is more absorbent than any other natural fiber, why not use it in the containment booms they’re laying in the Gulf of Mexico to clean up the petrochemical industry’s latest achievement? There are news reports about using human hair to help absorb the oil.

Who could we suggest this to?

Google benefits of hemp see for yourself.

So urce

Source

[edit on 30-5-2010 by pavelivanov22]

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Great idea! But they won't do it - they still connect hemp tosmoking pot! They rather see the gulf and the ocean go to pot then to use anything natural for clean up.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Even if it is related to marijuana all the medical benefits would take away 1000+ pills from the pharmacy they would loose lots of money those greedy Nazis don't want it legal.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I'm sure it could be used as such, but consider the amounts available. I know hemp is a widely used material, if not a little restricted in it's production here in the US, but realistically, i'd have to assume that hay and cotton would very likely be more useful in the scheme of things.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

True but Hemp fiber is more absorbent than any other natural fiber.. If we had hemp oil to use for gas etc.. we would not even be in this situation.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

If they could get people JUST to smoke pot and not use it as a resource, they would get on that in a second.

Sadly, Hemp will take down a large chunk of the economy. Somethings that not even real anyways.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Pavelivanov22.....

You're sort of like our own ATS HEMPINATOR!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

ha well when im floating in the cloads i got nothing better to do except browse ATS.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavelivanov22
reply to post by FrostForests

True but Hemp fiber is more absorbent than any other natural fiber.. If we had hemp oil to use for gas etc.. we would not even be in this situation.

I have no issue with marijuana, but do you really think hemp oil could be used as a fuel in that broad a sense? You would have to have whole states growing it on every available plot to make a small percentage in comparison to what the oil market can offer. You see how much is just flowing out? That's one well. A hemp oil factory sure isn't going to be spewing that much out, not by a decent margin.

I have no problems with your idea on hemp material for soaking up oil, but that's alone a stretch in reality considering amount of other products in far more mass quantities, and the idea that using hemp in larger quantities as a whole, even in oil production, could have any direct connection to this is downright silly.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
the herb of the gods (every religion uses it) will save us all. but the tools in power will most likely not consider it. they are the ones who should be banned not this miracle plant

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Hm, this has gotten way in to off-topic and the mods dont take kindly to "drug" related topics (i rember a pretty decent rant by Sceptic Overlord in the RATS-section). Wouldnt want to see this thread closed

So lets stick (sticky-icky icky) to the original point of the OP, about hemp fibers beeing able to soak the oil.

Would it be any diffferent to other plant-fibres, such as hay or other weeds? Could any other fibre do the job too, or has hemp some special or better soaking ability?

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
The OP pretty much stated that hemp is the solution to this and many other numerous problems. .including the nations dependence on expensive pharmaceuticals YET it is illegal to grow in the US.

So that leads to the question why.

We need to deny the ignorance of hemp being illegal and outline all the reason here in this thread.

And also find out who exactly is behind the anti-hemp movement. Are they really ignorant or do they have some sort of ulterior motive?

hmm

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamitrios

Well hemp is not a drug! And if it was legal people would be able to grow it and make there own medicine oil and other products!

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am all for legalizing marijuana. I could care less whether you or anybody else uses marijuana for medicinal purposes or just for fun.

You are doing a disservice to the pro-legalization cause when you make outlandish positive statements about hemp or marijuana. People on the other side see these statements as thinly veiled excuses to get high. It angers people when a bunch of stoners are trying to capitalize on the oil spill so they can get stoned.

If you want to help the pro-legalization cause, try attacking the outlandish negative statements people say about marijuana. Most people have hard time believing hemp will save the Louisiana wetlands, but they might have hard time believing Vicodin and other prescription medications are safer than marijuana.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

If people were really interested in knowing the benefits of marijuana they can also just Google it and see but no they think they know everything.

Every pill has as side effect taking to much potassium pills can kill you and its so pose to be good for you but eating plenty of bananas wont harm you in any way because its natural just like hemp/marijuana.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pavelivanov22

Googling something is not the best way to get information on a subject. I could create a website that claims marijuana increases a person's ambition and is the best thing for the lungs and this website could show up on a google search. I could also create a website that says everybody who has ever tried marijuana is a violent fiend and that nobody who has ever amounted to anything has ever used marijuana. This site to could show up on a google search, too.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why did this get moved to the "stoner" forum? This was a solution to the oil spill not to legalize.

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
great point about if hemp was our main source of oil, such spills of hemp oil would not create such catastrophes

actually although, i'm sure hemp would do a great job to soak up the oil in the gulf, but due to the popularity of the misconception that marijuana and hemp do not have any value either medicinally, practical tool wise or what not, i'm sure there is not nearly a large enough amount of hemp supply currently growing or existing in order to contain the mess in the gulf

i flagged your post

posted on May, 30 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
thanks, im sure we can import from Canada and other countries.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join