It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about sleep paralysis

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Perhaps worse than visual are the tactile hallucinations.

Are you kidding, those are my favorite! lol.

I have "suffered" from sleep paralysis for 10 years. A lot of what you guys are saying is dead on. I actually like it. The first couple of times I freaked out, even though after the fact (the next morning) I knew what had happened. I have since learned...and this is really screwed up....to "control" my episodes. I seem to be able to consciously recognize when it is happening, and nudge my brain to think of things that aren't as scary as it just spewing out random nightmares. Almost like lucid dreaming I guess.

I do hate the fact that I can't move during it. Several times there have been folks banging on my door, and I can't move to deal with it. I have even heard them open the door and walk in before I gained control.

The absolute worst times are when I am having an episode and one of my wife's cats decides that is the right time to come screaming into the room and jump on my stomach. Not cool, lol. Weird, but I only experience it when I am sleeping on my living couch now days, no longer when I am sleeping in the bedroom. Must be something about my body position or depth of sleep?

The funniest thing is when I fall asleep with the TV on and is plays a part in an episode. Very odd those nights are, lol.

Now I've gone and done what I told myself I would due, which is add to this embarrassing thread, lol.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

I completely disagree. Whether or not Myuzik is a troll or delusional is irrelevant. Though the original post may be based an ignorance of sleep paralysis, there is still a lot of good information here from members who do experience the disorder. It may help to enlighten and educate other members.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts

Perhaps worse than visual are the tactile hallucinations.

Are you kidding, those are my favorite! lol.

It is the tactile hallucinations that often panic me. I'll be poked or grabbed most often. On occasion I've been punched or slapped. Within the sleep-paralysis it actually hurts but the second I am fully awake the pain disappears. Of course, being punched or slapped will snap me out of the paralysis almost immediately.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment

Why can't there be more than one explanation? Oh I know because......the other explanation (abductions) is science fiction, right?

Read my first post on page 01. I do not totally discount abduction. However, there is a scientific method one must follow if they are to be taken seriously in this world (like it or lump it). The first step is to eliminate prosaic causes. I haven't seen you or the Op address that even remotely. Therefore it's hypocritical of you to even utter the word pseudo science.

You people are so backwards!!!!

Ad Hom!

You are hovering close to a T&C violation. Given you have only been here less than a week, you're off to a bad start. I suggest you keep personalized comments to yourself in future and address the subject matter only! Ad homs are a sign of weakness and poor arguments.

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

True, I agree. But given the modern information age I find it difficult to fathom that one can suffer from something so many times (thousands I believe he/she said?) and not know what is happening to them. To not know how to use WEBMD, GOOGLE or any of the hundreds of tools available to look into such matters, but come on to a, of all things, a conspiracy bulletin board and say the things that he/she said is the HEIGHT of modern day ignorance. And it should be called out in my opinion. Maybe the OP has looked into it, and found the real world explanations too mundane for his/her tastes, and desires the need to feel "special" so much that he/she decides what to believe based on that desire?

OP has the mental aptitude to scour the web, to participate in online communities, etc, but not use those same tools to even scratch the surface of reality? Thus I stand by what I said in my previous post

His/her observations are made from a standpoint of either ignorance or mental delusion.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Why can't there be more than one explanation? Oh I know because......the other explanation (abductions) is science fiction, right?

Sure, there could be more than one explanation. But just because there could doesn't mean there is.

Also, people who follow the bible (as another example). It's totally cool to think Moses literally parted the Red Sea (although science says you can't) but if someone said they were levitated by aliens..................OH MY GOD, get the straight-jacket, right?

We live in a hypocritical, contolled and preconditioned society.

You are describing two completely different situations. In the former, it is a simple belief about something that may have happened to someone else. The standards of evidence for personal credulity are one's own prerogative.

The latter scenario is a claim of personal experience. If you want to believe a personal experience that occurred to you is real, again, that is your prerogative. But when if you expect others to believe it was real, the standards of evidence are much higher.

If you express paranormal events to the public, science jumps all over it and explaining how it's a medical condition.
But if religious icons express paranormal events (like Jesus walking on water) people deem that, a miracle.

Scientists treat religious phenomenon the same as other claims of paranormal. But, if you disagree, perhaps you can cite an example of scientists proclaiming a religious phenomenon to be a miracle.

The only person to bring up religion has been you. You are projecting your beliefs about skeptics on others. It is completely irrelevant to this discussion and is a red-herring argument, a simple rehearsal of your prejudices.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnoreTheFacts
Maybe the OP has looked into it, and found the real world explanations too mundane for his/her tastes, and desires the need to feel "special" so much that he/she decides what to believe based on that desire?

That brings up a question that keeps popping into my head when I read this thread...

Why are some believers so ready to dismiss psychological explanations?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Myuzik

being a skeptic this story def sent my radar off the charts, there are a couple of things that bother me with this, first your using telepathy to contact nordic AI's ? not the actual EBE's ? so if thats the case then wouldnt you be recieving pre programmed responses, unles the Ai was adaptive i find it hard to believe, also the fact that you stated at one pint you were homeless and walked and talked with the EBE's if seen plenty of those guys on the street and most of the time those converstions are the direct result of mental illness albeit schizophrenia, im very sorry you were homles by the way this was not a rib towards you in any way, have you seen a neurologist about this?? also you are contributing alot of everyday pains to EBE experiments, why?? i sometimes have alot of pins but i know there not caused by aliens just by bad diet and no sleep....if you could submit some kind of actual scientific proof i think wed all be more comfortable elieving this story you havent submitted anything vaguely scientific to back your claim...im not looking for medical records but at least something concrete

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I've heard about exploding head syndrome (what a great name) and as you say it may be a separate thing, I'm not sure it happens while I'm paralyzed. By impending doom I mean that I get the feeling that something really bad is going to happen.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The ONLY reason why I brought up religion is because there's nothing else, world-wide, that's not tangible and unproved which is accepted, hands-down, despite the lack of science attached to it.

So...if it's good enough for more than half the population, why is we can't even 'consider' something (i.e., abductions) might be going on without proof?

Especially when there's millions of people reporting the same type of event?
We all can't be suffering from the same neurological disorder can we?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
For those of you who are saddened by the fact that you have never been abducted by aliens, you are not alone. I really angers me that this guy gets abducted thousands of times and I, who awaits them with open arms, am ignored. There is a support group for people like us and also one for people who never got molested as a child. Why have we been forsaken?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by 933K5T4R
reply to post by Myuzik

have you seen a neurologist about this??

Asking this question got me nowhere! All the Op will tell you is it's a waste of money to go and see someone who's going to tell him he's schizo!

To be honest, I think you already know the answers to the rest of your questions.

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Myuzik

"Where's your proof" they ask???????????

I would love to step into a church, synagogue, mosque or whatever and ask them for their 'proof' of God.
Because certainly, in this day and age, you'd think we'd have pictures (or at least a hyperlink) by now!

Don't worry Myuzik......we're over a million strong at this point.

But I don't believe them either, I have no religion to believe in, why should I?

And yes, give proof or stop spouting at people, I have made no claims like yourself. This makes you yet another person on here doing something I detest and that is make claims, provide no proof and then try to rubbish other people.

Do you know how arrogant that is...

Let me guess, you do and you don't care...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Why have we been forsaken?

We obviously aren't as 'special' mate. It must be amazing to think that aliens have traversed the galaxy or crossed dimensions just to make friends with you and sample some of your 'special' DNA to take home to the motherland. Kind of like we did with the sweet potato!

I guess they got the last laugh on all the kids at school from the 'in-crowd' who used to shun them in the playground!

"You thought I'd come to nothing... but you... you were wrong! The aliens sure have shown you!"

Geez I'm jealous! I would have happily traded being popular with the pretty girls to have my own alien chums!

[/sarcasm] [/joke]

IRM :shk:

[edit on 28/5/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Simply, yes....

See Mass Delusion....

Many millions suffer mental illness (including myself via depression) and many of the symptoms are very similar, often severely ill people will take on an identity that others have so to be part of something.

I'm not saying you are mentally ill, I can't because I do not know anything about you, all I can say is people who peddle stories about being abducted or having alien contacts that then offer no proof and surely by now there indeed must be some abduction proof etc, these people will be treated rightly or wrongly as ill.

Fact...And of course plenty of proof of that...

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Read my first post on page 01. I do not totally discount abduction. However, there is a scientific method one must follow if they are to be taken seriously in this world (like it or lump it). The first step is to eliminate prosaic causes. I haven't seen you or the Op address that even remotely. Therefore it's hypocritical of you to even utter the word pseudo science.

Ad Hom!

You are hovering close to a T&C violation. Given you have only been here less than a week, you're off to a bad start. I suggest you keep personalized comments to yourself in future and address the subject matter only! Ad homs are a sign of weakness and poor arguments.

IRM

Let me address this from the bottom up. When I say "you people are backwards" I am stating that to mankind in general, not you or people on this thread for I have no idea if you embrace religion.

Now, process of elimination eh?

Well, unless some neurosurgeon wants to sit in a chair and watch me sleep when this happens, I'm not sure what else can be done to prove or disprove this. Because, we seek explanations AFTER the fact. So it's very easy to insert medical explanations in lieu of some alternative theory.

No one, to my knowledge, has ever been under medical surveilance while under-going an abduction.

Listen, I MUCH rather have had two other diagnosis available to me personally.
One: A typical sleep paralysis
or
Two: A total mental melt-down leading to delusional moments.

But, after 5 years of trying to figure this out, proof (from marks, to illnesses to flashbacks) steered me away from conventional explanations (to my chagrin) and into the "I-don't-want-it-to-be-an-abduction" event.

Do you think we like saying this out loud? Do you think we feel honored (well, maybe some do)? Do you think we like the ridicule? Do you think we like hearing 'where's the proof' when in fact, we KNOW what happened?

There are too many people reporting the same event world-wide.

Yes, some people might mix up typical sleeping disorders however.....even that I find it hard to believe.
I mean, people normally just report "Yeah, I was paralyzed and couldn't move" without including "and then I saw a Being" or "and then I saw a bright light enter the room".

The details are way too common to be overlooked.

Unless you want to add an adendum to the typical sleep paralysis disorder and say, 'there seems to be a copy-cat syndrome attached to this disorder where many people seem to be 'seeing ' the same 'little grey men' while in this state of sleeping.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I suffer sleep paralysis myself, it started about 5 years ago, bloody horrible thing it is too. I initially had the 'falling' issue, where you tighten your muscles in your sleep through tension and then as you turn the tension off it feels like you are falling and thud into the bed.

The paralysis is indeed awful when it happens, it always happens in my stress filled dreams and I'm left so drained after what should have been a nights easy sleep.

No aliens tho, all perfectly normal earthly problems..

No Aliens get hurt in my dreams

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Let me address this from the bottom up. When I say "you people are backwards" I am stating that to mankind in general, not you or people on this thread for I have no idea if you embrace religion.

Are you not part of mankind? The way that paragraph reads would suggest that you may think your alien and separate from us.

If you have no idea, you shouldn't generalize or assume. One may come to the conclusion that you do this in more than one area of your life.

Not having a go at you... just observing and telling it how it is!

IRM

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Well, unless some neurosurgeon wants to sit in a chair and watch me sleep when this happens, I'm not sure what else can be done to prove or disprove this. Because, we seek explanations AFTER the fact. So it's very easy to insert medical explanations in lieu of some alternative theory.

No one, to my knowledge, has ever been under medical surveilance while under-going an abduction.

Firstly, if you have a sleep disorder you can ask or can be refereed to a sleep unit for night time monitoring, it's an option I may try myself as I suffer terrible nightmares.

I'd suggest you might think about it..

As for no one being abducted while being monitored, well I think that speaks reams myself..

What I never get from any of these people who say they speak to aliens is why?

Why do the aliens speak to them, what is the point of this connection.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The ONLY reason why I brought up religion is because there's nothing else, world-wide, that's not tangible and unproved which is accepted, hands-down, despite the lack of science attached to it.

If someone had attempted to explain alien abductions or dismiss them with a religious argument, then you might have a point. However, no one has brought up religion. Your argument is irrelevant to this discussion.

So...if it's good enough for more than half the population, why is we can't even 'consider' something (i.e., abductions) might be going on without proof?

Your argument is a non-sequitur. Just because someone people may believe something that holds no scientific value, it does not mean everyone should accept other claims with no scientific value.

First, there are no hard numbers on how many people may believe they have been abducted by aliens. A Reuters survey in the 1990s suggested that 2% of the United States population have abduction-like experiences. But as this thread has shown, in the accounts of members with sleep-paralysis, just because someone has abduction-like experiences, it does not mean they have been abducted.

Secondly, numbers are irrelevant. A claim that not have to reach some arbitrary watershed of claimants where we must accept it without evidence.

Yes, you can. But that is not your point; you are trying to make an argument-from-ridicule.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join