It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“COREXIT” Dispersants “ALERT”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Dear: ATS Members

I believe it is very important for the citizens of Gulf Region to watch the News Broadcast below. This situation is so much graver then what BP and the EPA is telling you all. The dispersant of COREXIT chemicals in the Gulf of Mexico will be responsible for the future deaths of thousands maybe millions of people. It is so vital that the citizens of this region demand a copy of the MSDS on the chemical dispersant Corexit.

Here is the MSDS report of hazards of this product this is just one example:

**EMERGENCY OVERVIEW** WARNING Eye and skin irritant; Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the liver. Combustible; Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Use with adequate ventilation. Wear suitable protective clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Flush affected area with water. Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. May evolve oxides of carbon (COx) under fire conditions.

This is what BP in conjunction with the EPA is spraying on Gulf Region men, women, and children. Please someone explain to me why we are allowing this to happen?

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

Please watch the following news broadcast:

www.democracynow.org...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. I have been warning of the Benzene connection to these abominable substances. And now look what is happening with the plume off the coast of Alabama; it was caused by releasing the "dispersants" under water.

This may not be largest spill in the Gulf (a Mexican rig has that dishonor), but the potential for human catastrophe is much is much higher. Maybe TPTB have a grudge against the Gulf and its coast? Maybe it's left over from the Civil War? Maybe the North Koreans did it? Whew, so much speculation.

More reasonable is that Cheney and his treasonous buddies sabotaged the rig. Thanks for a fresh take on this whole mess.

I'm afraid stopping the flow is just the tip of the iceberg. The cleanup will be enormous, ongoing, and in the end, ineffective to prevent catastrophe.

Sorry to be so negative, but I feel that in this instance it is warranted.

Ah, yes...the ramblings of a lunatic...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET PRODUCT COREXIT® EC9500A EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 • Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 (281)263-7000 1 / 10 1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION PRODUCT NAME : COREXIT® EC9500A APPLICATION : OIL SPILL DISPERSANT COMPANY IDENTIFICATION : Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) : (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC NFPA 704M/HMIS RATING HEALTH : 1 / 1 FLAMMABILITY : 1 / 1 INSTABILITY : 0 / 0 OTHER : 0 = Insignificant 1 = Slight 2 = Moderate 3 = High 4 = Extreme 2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS Our hazard evaluation has identified the following chemical substance(s) as hazardous. Consult Section 15 for the nature of the hazard(s). Hazardous Substance(s) CAS NO % (w/w) Distillates, petroleum, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 10.0 - 30.0 Propylene Glycol 57-55-6 1.0 - 5.0 Organic sulfonic acid salt Proprietary 10.0 - 30.0 3. HAZARDS IDENTIFICATION **EMERGENCY OVERVIEW** WARNING Combustible. Keep away from heat. Keep away from sources of ignition - No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Avoid breathing vapor. Use with adequate ventilation. In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water and seek medical advice. After contact with skin, wash immediately with plenty of soap and water. Wear suitable protective clothing. Low Fire Hazard; liquids may burn upon heating to temperatures at or above the flash point. May evolve oxides of carbon (COx) under fire conditions. May evolve oxides of sulfur (SOx) under fire conditions. PRIMARY ROUTES OF EXPOSURE : Eye, Skin HUMAN HEALTH HAZARDS - ACUTE : EYE CONTACT : May cause irritation with prolonged contact.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET PRODUCT COREXIT® EC9500A EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 • Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 (281)263-7000 2 / 10 SKIN CONTACT : May cause irritation with prolonged contact. INGESTION : Not a likely route of exposure. Can cause chemical pneumonia if aspirated into lungs following ingestion. INHALATION : Repeated or prolonged exposure may irritate the respiratory tract. SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE : Acute : A review of available data does not identify any symptoms from exposure not previously mentioned. Chronic : Frequent or prolonged contact with product may defat and dry the skin, leading to discomfort and dermatitis. AGGRAVATION OF EXISTING CONDITIONS : Skin contact may aggravate an existing dermatitis condition. 4. FIRST AID MEASURES EYE CONTACT : Immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. If symptoms develop, seek medical advice. SKIN CONTACT : Immediately wash with plenty of soap and water. If symptoms develop, seek medical advice. INGESTION : Do not induce vomiting: contains petroleum distillates and/or aromatic solvents. If conscious, washout mouth and give water to drink. Get medical attention. INHALATION : Remove to fresh air, treat symptomatically. Get medical attention. NOTE TO PHYSICIAN : Based on the individual reactions of the patient, the physician's judgement should be used to control symptoms and clinical condition. 5. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES FLASH POINT : 181.4 °F / 83 °C ( PMCC ) LOWER EXPLOSION LIMIT : Not flammable UPPER EXPLOSION LIMIT : Not flammable MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET PRODUCT COREXIT® EC9500A EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 • Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 (281)263-7000 3 / 10 EXTINGUISHING MEDIA : Alcohol foam, Carbon dioxide, Foam, Dry powder, Other extinguishing agent suitable for Class B fires, For large fires, use water spray or fog, thoroughly drenching the burning material. Water mist may be used to cool closed containers. UNSUITABLE EXTINGUISHING MEDIA : Do not use water unless flooding amounts are available. FIRE AND EXPLOSION HAZARD : Low Fire Hazard; liquids may burn upon heating to temperatures at or above the flash point. May evolve oxides of carbon (COx) under fire conditions. May evolve oxides of sulfur (SOx) under fire conditions. SPECIAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT FOR FIRE FIGHTING : In case of fire, wear a full face positive-pressure self contained breathing apparatus and protective suit. 6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES PERSONAL PRECAUTIONS : Restrict access to area as appropriate until clean-up operations are complete. Stop or reduce any leaks if it is safe to do so. Ventilate spill area if possible. Do not touch spilled material. Remove sources of ignition. Have emergency equipment (for fires, spills, leaks, etc.) readily available. Use personal protective equipment recommended in Section 8 (Exposure Controls/Personal Protection). Notify appropriate government, occupational health and safety and environmental authorities. METHODS FOR CLEANING UP : SMALL SPILLS: Soak up spill with absorbent material. Place residues in a suitable, covered, properly labeled container. Wash affected area. LARGE SPILLS: Contain liquid using absorbent material, by digging trenches or by diking. Reclaim into recovery or salvage drums or tank truck for proper disposal. Clean contaminated surfaces with water or aqueous cleaning agents. Contact an approved waste hauler for disposal of contaminated recovered material. Dispose of material in compliance with regulations indicated in Section 13 (Disposal Considerations). ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS : Do not contaminate surface water. 7. HANDLING AND STORAGE HANDLING : Use with adequate ventilation. Keep the containers closed when not in use. Do not take internally. Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Have emergency equipment (for fires, spills, leaks, etc.) readily available. STORAGE CONDITIONS : Store away from heat and sources of ignition. Store separately from oxidizers. Store the containers tightly closed. SUITABLE CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL : PVC, Kalrez, PTFE, Teflon, HDPE (high density polyethylene), Aluminum, Carbon Steel C1018, Stainless Steel 304, Stainless Steel 316L, Hastelloy C-276, Plexiglass, Compatibility with Plastic Materials can vary; we therefore recommend that compatibility is tested prior to use. MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET PRODUCT COREXIT® EC9500A EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 • Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 (281)263-7000 4 / 10 UNSUITABLE CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL : Copper, Mild steel, Polypropylene, Polyethylene, EPDM, Alfax, Brass, Buna-N, Natural rubber, Polyurethane, Hypalon, Viton, Neoprene, Ethylene propylene 8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS : Exposure guidelines have not been established for this product. Available exposure limits for the substance(s) are shown below. ACGIH/TLV : Substance(s) Oil Mist TWA: 5 mg/m3 STEL: 10 mg/m3 Propylene Glycol OSHA/PEL : Substance(s) Oil Mist TWA: 5 mg/m3 STEL: 10 mg/m3 Propylene Glycol AIHA/WEEL : Substance(s) ENGINEERING MEASURES : General ventilation is recommended. RESPIRATORY PROTECTION : Where concentrations in air may exceed the limits given in this section, the use of a half face filter mask or air supplied breathing apparatus is recommended. A suitable filter material depends on the amount and type of chemicals being handled. Consider the use of filter type: Multi-contaminant cartridge (Gold) with a Particulate prefilter (Purple). In event of emergency or planned entry into unknown concentrations a positive pressure, fullfacepiece SCBA should be used. If respiratory protection is required, institute a complete respiratory protection program including selection, fit testing, training, maintenance and inspection. HAND PROTECTION : Nitrile gloves, PVC gloves SKIN PROTECTION : Wear standard protective clothing. EYE PROTECTION : Wear chemical splash goggles. HYGIENE RECOMMENDATIONS : Keep an eye wash fountain available. Keep a safety shower available. If clothing is contaminated, remove clothing and thoroughly wash the affected area. Launder contaminated clothing before reuse. MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET PRODUCT COREXIT® EC9500A EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 • Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 (281)263-7000 5 / 10 HUMAN EXPOSURE CHARACTERIZATION : Based on our recommended product application and personal protective equipment, the potential human exposure is: Low 9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES PHYSICAL STATE Liquid APPEARANCE Clear Hazy Amber ODOR Hydrocarbon SPECIFIC GRAVITY 0.95 @ 60 °F / 15.6 °C DENSITY 7.91 lb/gal SOLUBILITY IN WATER Miscible pH (100 %) 6.2 VISCOSITY 177 cps @ 32 °F / 0 °C 70 cps @ 60 °F / 15.6 °C @ 104 °F / 40 °C VISCOSITY @ 32 °F / 0 °C @ 60 °F / 15.6 °C 22.5 cst @ 104 °F / 40 °C POUR POINT < -71 °F / < -57 °C BOILING POINT 296 °F / 147 °C VAPOR PRESSURE 15.5 mm Hg @ 100 °F / 37.8 °C Note: These physical properties are typical values for this product and are subject to change. 10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY STABILITY : Stable under normal conditions. HAZARDOUS POLYMERIZATION : Hazardous polymerization will not occur. CONDITIONS TO AVOID : Heat MATERIALS TO AVOID : Contact with strong oxidizers (e.g. chlorine, peroxides, chromates, nitric acid, perchlorate, concentrated oxygen, permanganate) may generate heat, fires, explosions and/or toxic vapors. HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS : Under fire conditions: Oxides of carbon, Oxides of sulfur 11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION No toxicity studies have been conducted on this product. SENSITIZATION : This product is not expected to be a sensitizer. MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET PRODUCT COREXIT® EC9500A EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) (800) 424-9300 (24 Hours) CHEMTREC Nalco Energy Services, L.P. P.O. Box 87 • Sugar Land, Texas 77487-0087 (281)263-7000 6 / 10 CARCINOGENICITY : None of the substances in this product are listed as carcinogens by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), the National Toxicology Program (NTP) or the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH). HUMAN HAZARD CHARACTERIZATION : Based on our hazard characterization, the potential human hazard is: Moderate 12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION ECOTOXICOLOGICAL EFFECTS : The following results are for the product. ACUTE INVERTEBRATE RESULTS : Species Exposure LC50 EC50 Test Descriptor Acartia tonsa 48 hrs 34 mg/l Product Artemia 48 hrs 20.7 mg/l Product Rating : Slightly toxic MOBILITY : The environmental fate was estimated using a level III fugacity model embedded in the EPI (estimation program interface) Suite TM , provided by the US EPA. The model assumes a steady state condition between the total input and output. The level III model does not require equilibrium between the defined media. The information provided is intended to give the user a general estimate of the environmental fate of this product under the defined conditions of the models. If released into the environment this material is expected to distribute to the air, water and soil/sediment in the approximate respective percentages; Air Water Soil/Sediment

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

This will also be carried into the (North) Atlantic, through a massive trajectory passing Europe and into the arctic - the toxicity could presumably affect massive portions of the world-wide fish-stocks, precipitation, and ecological cycles/food chain/environments?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Folks I cannot stress the importance of getting this information out to all your loved ones that live in the Gulf Region. This is not a joke; this is not something to take lightly; this is very important for the safety and well being of your loved ones.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Who would knowingly buy/eat Gulf/Atlantic sourced sea-food knowing this is out there in such vast quantities? I know someone will be on telling us about dispersal and volumes of sea-water, but I'm guessing many simply won't wish to risk being unlucky enough to get a bad batch?

[After a few weeks/months movement of the plumes/slicks/currents]

[edit on 27-5-2010 by curioustype]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I have shared the video with my Facebook, where my classmates from New Orleans share information.

The First Parade of the Krewe of the Dead Pelicans is coming up, to protest the use of chemical dispersants and the lack of protection for the Brown Pelican from contaminated water. We know this is just the beginning of our problems.

Kudos for the time and effort involved OP!

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by curioustype

This chemical will cause the entire region of the Gulf Coast to be toxic for many years to come. And the first brush fire that gets lite with this chemical in it the smoke cloud that follows will kill everything in its path. I can not believe the EPA is this stupid but, there you are.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
We may never even know the quantity of effects if there is even a cap to end this stupendous blunder that belongs to all humanity. Not just BP.

Kudos? certainly.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by randyvs]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Wow!!!

Did you see the thread regarding the larger leak with video? Here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Go to page 4 and watch the video. Disregard those who cant read!.

Also here.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I posted the MSDS sheet yesterday on another topic.
Here it is again in PDF, if someone wants it. HERE
...WAIT it has changed! I didn't save the one I had yesterday.
I found it somewhere else.... HERE (Good Version)
It's not as informative as the one I read yesterday, but it will do.
Better save this one before it disappears.

page3:

ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS : Prevent material from entering sewers or waterways.

Info. from the MSDS I read yesterday:

ENVIRONMENTAL PRECAUTIONS : Do not contaminate surface water.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
What is going on? They are going to allow this to continue? and if this crap gets in the rain there is no escape!

I feel like I am floating through wonder land while my dreams whirl me around in confusion because everything seems so real all of the sudden.

This is actually going down right before our eyes, not just the kill off of the gulf or the kill off of the people and or their livelyhood, but the biggest control grab ever seen. It is world wide this time, not just communist China or Russia or Germany, it is all of us.

All at once we will experience the crisis that so many before us experienced. A crisis so big that it caused them to adhere to the rules given by those in control. And do it cheerfully, only to loose their freedom and lives.

We will all be affected! The entire planet is in turmoil, and now have a cover up so bold and outright that we dont even recognize it, hidden in plain view.
We can not get the media in there and they are not ashamed to tell us so?
They will not take advice from respected sources?
We are going to let them continue with this dispersant although any one with half a brain can read the MSDS sheet and see it is designed to kill ?

Sound familiar?
Of course it doesnt because the context is different but the story line is the same. This is too big for most people to see, atleast it seems that way to me.
Damn I wish people would study history.

Awesome info

S &F

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:45 AM
link   
So, can we sue BP yet? This is bull *shirt*
second line.

*edit for self censorship*

[edit on 5/28/10 by TokiTheDestroyer]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I'm not in any way supporting dispersants but to be fair - this is NOT being sprayed on men, women, and children... it is being injected into the oil at 5,000 feet under the gulf. Still bad, just making a point of clarification.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   

You're right, there are reports of clean-up workers becoming sick from fumes... I don't think that's the oil, that's the dispersant.

They were quoted as saying it felt like they were breathing in hot.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thermo Klein

I'm not in any way supporting dispersants but to be fair - this is NOT being sprayed on men, women, and children... it is being injected into the oil at 5,000 feet under the gulf. Still bad, just making a point of clarification.

It's also being dropped from planes, which was what it was designed for, not being injected at 5k feet.

The scary part is, what happens when it evaporates and comes back as rain?

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

Friend,

If this gets sucked up by a hurricane or any other storm-any rain for that matter-it will hit inland like you wouldn't believe. Then we will all see the terribly effects MolecularPhD is warning us about.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FictionForTruth

God, the thought of that scares the hell out of me.

I have such a terrible feeling about this.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
You all think this is bad, wait until we get a major Hurricane this year in the Gulf this will be interesting, because we know whatever state it hits, it will pollute the inland and the fresh water killing everything including the plant life.

People thought Katrina was bad in New Orleans and Mississippi we haven’t seen anything yet.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join