It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“COREXIT” Dispersants “ALERT”

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Just got an idea. What if they blow dispersant's in to the leak. Maybe then the oil never reaches the surface. Maybe thats the explanation of those 10mile across oil clouds below the surface.??

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
How does "dispersing" the oil make the environmental situation any better?

If it were not "dispersed" but rather kept together, it would be easier to clean up wouldn't it? Having all the oil in one place would make it easier to scoop up.

This "dispersing" of the oil is simply to make the oil spill APPEAR to be smaller. Using dispersant is a PR move. If anything it only increases the environmental damage.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by avatar01

Scary stuff

I dread to think how much more damage can be caused by using more chemicals to clear the pollution.

I've seen videos of HAY or STRAW being used to remove oil from water and they produce no chemicals at all... easily found on youtube etc

Airease

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this MolecularPhd. Have you been on any other sites? People need to know that this Corexit stuff is scarier than the oil. I saw your earlier posts and didn't respond because I was suspicious of your motives (just being honest, no offense). I heard a few congressmen "grilling" BP about how toxic this particular dispersant is but all they got was "blah, blah, blah we'll look into it." Even if you don't like those other sites, please OP, post your info everywhere you can. The oil is bad enough.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Before it starts killing, the government will evacuate, they already have thousands of troops on standby (to help with evac) you're just not hearing it on mainstream news because people panic.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

As a chemist then you should understand the health risks of prolonged exposure to the chemicals in Corexit. The main ingredients in this product combined with Propylene glycol which already has these side effects; dizziness; increased thirst; nausea; rectal irritation; stomach cramps; tiredness; vomiting it also forms chemicals that crystallize, and the crystals can collect in your kidneys and affect kidney function.; combined with 4-aminobenzene sulfonic acid; 2-Butoxyethanol and only Nalco has the proprietary chemical make up which is unknown to the public; they currently are claiming that their intellectual property rights will be violated if they disclose the reagents used in their formulation of the product; anyone in the field of chemistry that claims that this substance is harmless and of no concern to the public should have their degree striped from them.

I would also like to make it clear that not all of the Hazardous toxins that are combined with this dispersant have been evaluated by the NCCT EPA Lab. Further more the obvious lack of knowledge by several posters claiming this substance is of no concern in quantities being used is sad really. This only makes it that more important that we educate the public in a substance that has been deemed illegal for use in many other countries.

Why any member on ATS would want you to feel like this is a safe measure makes me question "Where their loyalties are; and to who those loyalties are?"

I would be glad to show the posters above the error of their ways in this matter and the lack of their chemical knowledge. Please feel free to U2U so you do not embarrass yourself in public.

www.epa.gov...

The MSDS does not give a full toxicology report which is what is needed for this chemical.

And for those of you who believe that this chemical is perfectly fine for the environment, and that it is safe for human beings to be using this chemical then by all means please go to the Gulf and save someones life by taking their place.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Thermo Klein

idk but if its in the water it can get into the rain and with twister season starting in FL this will be poured over everyone outside if a storm comes like they expect it to.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MolecularPhD

Propylene Glycol is a very common ingredient in lots of stuff. So are the other ingredients. I have far worse acids in my shed for cleaning the pool deck and brick. I have far stronger soaps in my shed for cleaning my car. Not downplaying your thread at all, I appreciate the coverage, and the information, and I didn't form my opinion about Corexit until after reading all the material you provided, so thank you!

Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want all this stuff getting dumped into the Gulf just for fun, but these is already a severe situation and it is requiring some compromises of action.

All of the quotes in my posts came directly from the MSDS that you posted. None of the chemicals are considered dangerous except after prolonged exposure, and even then most symptoms are only aggravation of existing problems.

This stuff is far more inocuous than the Benzene, and Methane, and all the other isotopes and derivatives associated with them.

Again, it isn't ideal, but so far it seems to be working. The oil is not getting to the beaches and marshes as severely as predicted. The Corexit degrades in 28 days, so whatever they do will be gone in a month.

And, as I stated earlier, I have been to the beach two weeks ago, and I will be back there this weekend. I WILL BE SWIMMING IN THE GULF OF MEXICO AT FT. WALTON BEACH'S OKALOOSA ISLAND ON SATURDAY IF ANYONE CARES TO JOIN ME! I will have my 3 year old, and my 2 year old in the water. I will be eating Oysters and drinking beer, and I will not be wearing sunscreen. The sunscreen is far scarier than Corexit!

I don't know how much longer our beaches will be pristine, but I am taking full advantage of it now, and I pray that the Corexit works to keep the beaches clean.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Just to watch BP get away with this cemical crap after a major spill is retarded. Its like oooops I spilled oil but I am really sorry so let me pour cemicals in amounts that will kill more than doing good.

You want a solution???? kevin costner has it but sorry its to clean and will cost BP to much. Since BP is in charge we might as well buy the solution from them so they can pay themselfs and lose nothing. BP should be fined out of exsistance the CEO should become cleanup biotch and then be passed around prison like any avg person would. We let them build a fake entity "BP" and try to blame it on the fake and all you get is a fake result. Cover the CEO in oil and then let him decide. Should we clean him with corexit or the kevin costner oil vac? Bet he will not take this long to pay Kevin to clean his rich @$$.

[edit on 28-5-2010 by robbinsj]

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I am on the lookout for the deadly "degree striping" that you invoked but have to respond to your unfounded fears, anyway. The secret ingredients in a dispersant are likely more organics. All of these compounds are biodegrade; functionalized organics are easy for microbes to eat. The original Lysol, o-phenylphenol, is readily metabolized by bacteria at low concentrations.
The dispersant news is a tempest in a teapot. Focus on the oil spill; it will last far longer and do more harm than a super dish detergent.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

I have already made a thread as to what BP should be using in the Gulf to clean up the oil; you might want to read it.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   

If you mean your geobacter thread, geobacter will require a dispersant to readily metabolize the oil. A dispersed oil will also be susceptible to indigenous bacteria.
Bottom line: you need a dispersant and don't need anything other than bacteria naturally present in the ocean.

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MolecularPhD
Folks I cannot stress the importance of getting this information out to all your loved ones that live in the Gulf Region. This is not a joke; this is not something to take lightly; this is very important for the safety and well being of your loved ones.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

And all over the radio and news they say

"nothings wrong here in florida, come spend your money here and ?Encourage tourism!"

We're All #ed

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 7even7eas

There is nothing wrong here in Florida!! I will be at the beach tomorrow in the panhandle. I was at the beach 2 weekends ago. My brother is at the beach in Pensacola today.

In this thread alone you have seen at least two very good arguments. One from each side.

Imagine how hard it is to discern fact from fiction in the MSM?!?!?

I am letting my 2 and 3 year old swim in the Gulf in the Panhandle 50 miles from the Alabama line tomorrow! That is how safe it is at this time.

Now don't get me wrong, the situation is very, very serious, but as of right now, the beaches are clear, the fishing boats are not wearing breathing apparatus, there is no evacuation happening, there are no hotel or restaurant closures, and Florida's economy needs your tourist dollars badly!!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by 7even7eas

There is nothing wrong here in Florida!! I will be at the beach tomorrow in the panhandle. I was at the beach 2 weekends ago. My brother is at the beach in Pensacola today.

In this thread alone you have seen at least two very good arguments. One from each side.

Imagine how hard it is to discern fact from fiction in the MSM?!?!?

I am letting my 2 and 3 year old swim in the Gulf in the Panhandle 50 miles from the Alabama line tomorrow! That is how safe it is at this time.

Now don't get me wrong, the situation is very, very serious, but as of right now, the beaches are clear, the fishing boats are not wearing breathing apparatus, there is no evacuation happening, there are no hotel or restaurant closures, and Florida's economy needs your tourist dollars badly!!

WTF? are you serious?
I thought that the fishermen
who are now being hired to dump the dispersant crap in the water
because the government told them they couldn't fish anymore
because the gulf was too conaminated with oil
were getting violently ill from the dispersant crap???

Well, I guess we were fooled! What a load a bunk! Must have been fake whiny fishermen making up stories I guess.

Hey everyone! Nothing to worry about!

That dispersant crap that is being dumped on top of all that oil in the gulf is really safe, probably almost good for you! LOL!

Nothing to worry about!

Wow! It is good to know that everything is really O KAY!

Come on kids! you get in first! (don't worry honey, the dead oily critters are a good 30 miles up the beach LOL! Hey, did you bring the TV? I want to watch american idol!)

Thanks for the good news!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

You have no idea what you are talking about; the Geobacter does not need any type of dispersant to be used. We use Geobacter in the clean up of nuclear waste and it does not need an type of hydrocarbon solvent to work. As for the Aquatic bacteria theory please state what bacteria you speak of as I would love to inform a Microbiologist friend of mine of this data.; there is no ocean bacteria that eats hydrocarbons. Please provide the scientific data for review.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I wish you and your children all the best; as for the rest of the people; please do not follow in his footsteps. The effects of these chemicals and toxins can take up to 10 years before you begin to see nervous system disorders, kidney failure, kidney stones, hemolysis, and many other biological effects on the body. I would say it would be better to be safe then sorry later.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Is your Geobacter strain a facultative bacteria or strict anaerobe? The geobacter strains were found in sediments under anaerobic conditions. They may not respond well to long term oxygen exposure.

As to the degradation of the dispersant, active components are functionalized and will readily be metabolized by common bacteria at the dilution levels stated.

The bacterium I used to treat phenolic wastewaters was Pseudomonas aeruginosa. The reactors were CSTR's and treated 10,000 ppm mixed phenols to

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I read these threads and see people assuming things, and assuming the worst plausible things.

Why assume that the dispersant will not change when it has the reaction with the oil? It's a chemical, so it would make sense it would not be what it is once it reacts with oil.

Then it is being overlooked of the massive amount of water there is in the Gulf. Any chemical in the water would be diluted unless it itself is oil.

Then the hurricanes, which stir up the Gulf water in enormous ways, are assumed not to further dilute the water enough to the point that when it reaches shore, one poster says that a brush fire will spark a wide range of fire that consumes the entire coast!

Do we even have brush fires in areas as humid as these? That's something you find in very dry areas!

It's really gross to see people imagine the worst case scenarios here while abandoning some reasoning in thinking how bad it could get.

Yesterday I saw a video of an air boat in a marsh. Of course these use combustion engines. Nobody said "Hey! No motorboats...a fire might break out and light up the entire coast!"

Everyone here seems to want a doomsday scenario. Or if not, there are plenty of people offering their imaginations to share their doomsday scenarios.

I believe there is a doomsday scenario for the animal life there and of course consider the careers of fishermen and those who work offshore, etc. But man, earlier I read a post a guy made that related this oil spill to the death of an infant who swallowed some mineral oil. It was made clear that the baby died two weeks later and thought that if hurricanes hit, people on the coast will "just die slow deaths."

Sick! It's hardly fair to compare aspirating on baby oil that happens to an infant to oil that could come ashore after a hurricane.

posted on May, 29 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by glitchinmymatrix

Once again I could careless about conspiracy theories; this is my field of expertise as a scientist, the things I am posting are real whether you want to believe them or not is entirely up to you.

I will be leaving for the Gulf in the next 36 hours to be a part of a scientific panel of independent experts to assess the situation.

So far the reports I have coming back from the field techs there now; is not what the MSM is reporting to the public; it is much, much worse.

So good luck; enjoy the beach while you can; and I hope you are right and I am wrong.

Respectfully

MolecularPHD

Because if I am right; this country will be in for holocaust; the riots to follow will spark a catastrophic event, one which I am afraid we are not prepared for.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join