It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Our Mother Overcome the Oil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
do you think that our planet is powerful enough to overcome the effects of this oil spill fiasco?

can she somehow filter the oil back to where it is supposed to be?
can she even somehow stop the actual gusher?

if so, then how?

what are your thoughts and ideas?

i'll share mine after a little while.
i'm wondering what everyone else is thinking about all this.

can we truly KILL our Mother?
or is it out of our scope of power and reach?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I dunno, does your mom have hay, dog hair and does she know Kevin Costner???

but i digress, Planet Earth will be fine, oil is a natural occurring substance and she will handle it as you would a bloody nose.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

Not a chance. At least not with the tech we have today. We could nuke this planet to oblivion and it will heal itself. We are but a surface nuisance.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

Before answering your question, let me just say that you have been missed in this site and it is about time you made some time to grace us with your presence. Thank you for that.

Mother Nature seems to work in a slow and methodical way that may not be enough for the survival of humanity, and it would perhaps be prudent to find ways on our own to fix the mess caused by this atrocious disaster.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Of course not, the earth has endured much more damage than humanity has ever accomplished and probably ever will. It's still plodding along nicely and will still be doing fine long after humanity is just fossilized remains in sedimentary rock.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Solomons]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Carlin said it best:

www.youtube.com...

"The planet is not going anywhere........... WE ARE! We're going away."

I'm not going to embed this because of the language.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The Powers To Be will become Powerless and the oil disaster I have been told by a frined and source that we all need to pay more attention to our environment as this oil disaster is to draw in awareness of The Coming Changes. These are all early warnings as our Mother/Earth/Terra has asked for "borrowed time" for those who are awakened to gear up in their awareness to a higher understanding and help other's become aware, bring people upto a Spiritual Awareness, to prepare their Physical Self/Emotional Self and their Spiritual Selfs.

Those who choose to ignore the warnings will have to strive for survival in the best ways they can.

Their are those who are still not aware that they will become of this.

Love & Light.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

We cannot kill Earth. We CAN kill everything ON Earth, at least for a while, but, as the cliche goes, "life goes on". She will come back and will thrive without us until we do it again.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Our mother spent hundreds of millions of years containing carbon; coal hydrocarbons and natural gas, we have spent decades drilling for it, extracting it, and burning it... Our Mother buried it deep, made it hard to get to, and may have wanted it left alone.

Maybe our Mother will decide to kill us all before we ruin the planet.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The planet has survived cosmic rays, comets, asteroids, ice ages, and possibly even the impact of a Mars sized planet that gave birth to our moon.

The planet will be fine.

Now lifeforms that live on it, thats a whole other story.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well,this is not even the worse accidental discharge of a natural resource in to the ocean.

There was one in 1980 that was 10 times worse and took 9 months to even stop.

And NOBODY got all up in arms over it.

The "green" idiots that have dictated policy in the U.S. have caused everybody to "freak" out over this.

This short period of human existence will pass eventually and this planet will still be here.

5.75 billion people living today on this rock really don't give a rats butt what is happening in our little insignificant part of the world.

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Oneolddude]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Please read this thread Chernobyl - 24 years on ( By Muckster )

Especially the video posted by Sandri_90

You will be amazed by out mothers endurance.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Calling Earth your Mother is kind of gay.

If we didn't drill for oil it would seap to the surface eventually anyway.

Anyone remember the Beverly Hillbillies?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

You said:
The "green" idiots that have dictated policy in the U.S. have caused everybody to "freak" out over this.

You don't have to be either green or an idiot to see this is a potentially devastating situation. Maybe not to you personally, but there are people for whom it is personal. It's personal to the marine life, and to the people who depend on it to sustain the lives they've established.

It's personal to the tourism industry on which the southern coastal areas depend. Yes, it's personal.

[edit on 5/27/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

People were pretty up in arms over the Ixtoc spill. The US and Mexican governments both worked heavily to protect their shores. Neither left the situation completely in the oil company's hands.

If BP's math is wrong about the spill, which many think it is, this current spill could be about 5 times larger than the Ixtoc spill. It in fact may be about twice the size of the worst spill in history, which was the Persian Gulf spill during Operation Desert Storm.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

If I had to guess, I'd say this type of event has occurred naturally at times in the past. We already know that quite a bit of oil seeps into the oceans every year. What are the odds that one of those natural seeps could turn into a gusher of this magnitude once (or more) every few hundred thousand years? The chances of that happening are probably better than anyone really wants to think about.

The Earth will recover. It may take time and in the worst case scenario, we may not be around to see it, but there's little doubt in my mind that life will continue and thrive.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

One doesn't need to be "green" to see the impact on this ecosystem. And it's more like the media, "We are now back with another sensational ecoterror story to keep you from looking at the problems in Washington."

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Calling Earth your Mother is kind of gay.

then i must be WAY gay!

thanks for your input, though!

thanks everyone!

i really like the response so far - i pretty much agree with most of what's been posted on the thread so far and i'm not worried for the planet or even for our selves as the human race.

i think our Mother loves us more than we ever have realized!
but our temporal existence, in and out of "life" and "death" is, i think, is what somehow nourishes her enduring life.

i do believe that the present situation with the oil and other environmental dilemmas are a message to us that we must hear and heed or else suffer great consequence as the unruly children we would prove ourselves to be if we don't snap out of our wasteful here-today-gone-tomorrow lifestyle!

there's no reason for the procrastination in moving into a new way of energizing civilization! there's no avoiding it and its sensible and harmonious to use what's already provided (sun, wind, geothermal, hydro) to feed our insatiable appetites for technology and all sorts of geeky delights.

the biggest obstacle is that of MONEY
profit, profit, profit
that's what drives those who insist on all this fossil fuel dependence - as i'm sure we all know.

i'm pretty anxious and excited for the proverbial end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it!
the sooner the better.

but i do hate seeing that ugly brown film covering such a big expanse of her ocean!~!~

new topics

top topics

join