It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama unveils Gulf of Mexico oil spill response

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Obama unveils Gulf of Mexico oil spill response

news.bbc.co.uk

US President Barack Obama has unveiled a series of measures in response to the oil spillage in the Gulf of Mexico.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Earlier, his administration announced the resignation of the head of the Minerals Management Service (MMS), which oversees drilling operations.

He vowed to hold BP accountable for the "horrific disaster" and said his officials would do everything necessary to protect and restore the coast.-from source

Good,seems heads are starting to roll for this mess

Regards to all

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
He should have jumped in with his unlimited resources after a week of no containment. Meetings in a back room to talk about the spill did not get it done. He could have saved the gulf and virtually avoided it ever getting to the shore if he would have postponed his lame ass meeting and got involved.

The damage is done because the government sat on their hands and did squat.

This is a blueprint of how our government can handle disasters with their unlimited resources. They are good at fundraisers and eating steak and enjoying vacations, but they suck at solving problems and holding people accountable for putting our country in danger.

People need to wake up and realize that its up to the people to take care of each other. Not the government. They cant even help themselves. They are too busy filling their pockets before the vault door closes.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent

About a month too late. Untold damage has been done now. If he was really serious he should have gotten started a lot earlier.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
5 weeks! Wow! This must be record time for any government reaction to any disaster, man-made or natural, in the history of the United States.

Oh, let us praise the Obama administration for their quick and decisive reaction.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
He said he will hold BP accountable.
I will be watching for this as I think it is a blatent lie.

It will be a token punishment of a fine that will be just a drop in the bucket.
They have alot of money and can make more so it won't even bother them in the end.

Lets just see how exactly he holds them accountable.
I would like to see a few negligent people in a few miserable jail cells.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The fine will go from one pocket to the other.

In a year when the news has forgot all about this gem. They will cut off the "help" and go back to business as usual. I guarantee they will only honor the mandated amount and I doubt if they reach that goal. In the end the tax payers will foot the bill for the cleanup.

The 5k checks they are handing out right now like candy. Well... those are only being disbursed because it is mandated. They are mandated to pay out 75 million. After that they will pack up shop and wipe their hands. BP's main focus is to get back to business as usual so don't be fooled.

Link

Edit to add: Point in fact.... Everyone has forgot about Katrina (except those who live there) and how much of the damage has been cleaned up?

[edit on 27-5-2010 by Digital_Reality]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by FeatheredSerpent

So, silence since April 20 and now a promise for a complete clean up, a firing and an ambiguous statement about accountablility. Way to drop that ball Mr. Obama, bravo really.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
don't worry you guys, the media is covering obama and making sure people opinions do not lean towards the consideration that obama did not act soon enough (or at all) on this one

link

There are some who are saying that the Obama administration's lack of response (and/or help) is similar to that of President Bush's slow response to Katrina. But looking closer at these sentiments, it's hard not to see the political football bouncing in numerous directions:

The BP oil spill was because of failure of a company (actually, several companies) in a poorly regulated industry.

People are calling for the government to step in, but the government doesn't have the resources to fix it. You can't complain about lack of government resources when you don't pay your taxes (47% of U.S households don't pay income tax), which finance those necessary resources - both in the labor and in parts. And you certainly can't complain about lack of government resources when you have a political ideology that believes the government that governs least, governs best.

call it what you like, the fact of the matter is it was over 6 weeks before obama even held a conference to debate the matter, the government has not exerted any of it's recources towards the mess and this media blurb is incorrect in stating that nothing could be done

there are numerous people trying very hard to get permits to dredge underwater to create artificial barrier islands to protect the openings to marshes and inlets of water, there are people trying to get permits to build man made dams and structures to protect wildlife

it is a lie that nothing can be done, it a lie that we lack the resources to do something, the governors of the surounding states need to allow residents to work on protecting themselves, the only problem is (as you know) the media is REALLY downplaying this event

since the problem is being downplayed and under exagerated, people do not feel the need to get to work on solving the problem before it hits them, this is a costly mistake, because once the animals are dead, once the bussinessess die because fish cannot be caught etc etc etc, obama and the government will simply say "well perhaps we could have done something, but it's too late now."

even the so called animal protection agencies and enviromental protection groups that are 'so emotional about wildlife and whatnot' are sitting and doing nothing

i applied to work to clean up and wash animals when the effects are felt, and the people i volunteered with about a month and a half ago have yet to ask for my help, they send me an email every week at most with an 'up date'

the updates they send me are jokes, about just as downplayed and underestimated as the media puts the mess to be, bleh

what a mess, both literally and politically

[edit on 5/27/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Give it a few more days and this whole mess will be blamed on Bush, Cheney, and Rove then Obama, covered in gleaming armor, will ride off on his shiny white horse to save the US from the next disaster.

Make no bones about this. This is most definitely Obama's Katrina and then some. I can't blame his administration for the accident but I can certainly blame them for a severe lapse in judgement regarding the handling of this mess.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
So they don't have the resources to take care of it huh?

Every company in this country is at their dispose and on top of that there was people standing by in rubber boots waiting to clean up and they were held back because they did not have a friggin permit.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
So his big plan is to "do everything he can" and more haranguing of BP?

Took a month to come up with that?

So the plan is essentially to come up with a plan at some point down the road and take some money from a company.

Not that there is anything the fed or the POTUS could do anyway. I cant decide which is more ridiculous: people who think the POTUS can do anything about this at all or the POTUS fronting like he can.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
seems obama is claiming that the mess is his own responsibility and that the government is in full control of the situation - not BP

link

"I take responsibility. It is my job to make sure this thing is shut down," Obama declared at a news conference in the East Room of the White House. The Gulf of Mexico oil spill dominated the hour-long session.

He called the spill, now in its sixth week, an "unprecedented disaster" and blasted a "scandalously close relationship" between Big Oil and government regulators.

he finally has set up a conference, and now coming out with "my job to make sure this thing is shut down"...

well it took this long to come up with that statement? obama begins with that statement and then goes on to put blame onto " 'scandalously close relationship' between big oil and government (regulators)"

obama did not mention that he himself received $77,051 from them, and was ... (continued in quote)

the top recipient of BP PAC and individual money over the past 20 years, according to financial disclosure records.

link
ats thread on the evidence obama is "in the pocket of bp"

so what is it then? will obama take the blame for not acting fast enough?

or will he hide behind the media that is blanketing a false opinion that the government cannot do anything to solve the mess?

did obama wait too long because he is indeed in some sort of alliance with BP in return for their generous contributions to his campaign?

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeatheredSerpent

A day late and a dollar short..

As a leader(
,sic) he should have done more from the start. He hasn't done anything to man up and take responsibility for failing to respond in his true role as leader and for that he gets a big..
in my book.

posted on May, 27 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
And people thought Bush dragged his feet during Katrina!

Sorry, but something should have been done about this weeks ago. We all know BP has given Obama alot of money, so yeah, I am sure the money will just change pockets.

The entire situation is just infuriating all the way around.

top topics

join