It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawmaker: Obama to send 1,200 troops to border

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
This is once again a case of what Obama spews he doesn't even believe.

This is the same President that allowed a foreign leader to mock our laws from the White House lawn.

This is the same President that called this law 'shameful'.

Apparently, passing laws that state the police and local authorities can deport illegal immigrants is wrong....but sending Federal military personnel to do the same thing is right?

Don't get me wrong -- it's way past time this was done. But it certainly adds another check in the Obama is a hypocrite category in my opinion.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Another source for ya

Yahoo link

Finally,the federal government is actually doing what they are suppose to do!
to Obama for once

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
People, this is NOT a "start". This is merely the administration attempting to sweep the issue under the rug.

From the article :

The troops wouldn't perform significant law enforcement duties.

No? Then what in the heck are they going to do, drill all day? What's the point?

There is none, think about what just happened, Obama calling the law "misguided", then bringing the Mexican president here to gripe about it all, and now he's all of a sudden having a change of heart?

No, he's hoping that this "gesture" will cause people to forget about the issue. But we can NOT let that happen.

Edit to add :

The Obama administration plans to announce Tuesday that it will send as many as 1,200 National Guard troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to improve border security

What's that mean anyhow? As many as? Really? He could be sending 14, or "as many as" 1200. Don't buy into this distraction!

[edit on 25-5-2010 by Soloist]

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
They can't deploy the troops in the US unless Obama declares Marshal law. Are you sure you want that still?

The guard shouldn't need huge numbers because imo it should be used in the area they are seeing the highest violence only.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I guess some of you think soldiers grow on trees. It takes time and money to train/transport soldiers for this job. Our military is already stretched thin.

I would find it hard to believe that the boarder is completely open as of right now. It would make since that they would only need to be sent to strategic areas.

Another highly important fact to take into consideration is that these soldiers will need to stay on the boarder to be effective. This problem isn't going to go away. Therefore, in order for troops on the boarder to be effective long term they would need to stay long term.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
They can't deploy the troops in the US unless Obama declares Marshal law. Are you sure you want that still?

That is simply not true.

In order to avoid the often-unpopular step of declaring martial law, authorities have frequently called out troops without a formal declaration.

Besides, this is a matter of keeping foreign invaders from crossing our border.

The guard shouldn't need huge numbers because imo it should be used in the area they are seeing the highest violence only.

First of all not all areas used to sneak in to this country are violent. Second, they would need HUGE numbers, we have over 20,000 border patrol agents and it's not NEARLY enough!

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Yeah.. and he is deploying 20k troops to the Sun to fight global warming.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Actually, I had always understood that the Governor of each state has the authority and the responsibility to use the Guardsmen of their own state to deal with issues just like this.

Granted, it seems a poor use of an army, to defend and secure the borders of the nation, as opposed to extending our military "influence" over sovereign nations abroad.

Well..., that's politics for ya!

Nice catch on the "as many as" trick. I had glossed over it initially. I wonder why the specification had to be couched that way? Seems like the assurance was more for Calderon's comfort than our own, eh?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
And here it is :

WASHINGTON – Under pressure to take action, President Barack Obama on Tuesday ordered 1,200 National Guard troops to boost security along the U.S.-Mexico border, pre-empting Republican efforts to force a congressional vote to send the troops.

He just wants this story to go away. But it won't, not until something is done about it. The overwhelming majority of the US agrees that this has to stop.

And I agree it's a poor use of an army, sitting out in a desert watching for invaders. But at least they would be home and they won't be sitting out in a desert getting blown up in a foreign country for all the wrong reasons.

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I see no reason to put a band-aid on a broken ankle.

I liked the sound of the first report I read...12,000.

But I see someone misplaced the comma.

Not engaging in law enforcement...what will they be doing?

posted on May, 25 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

I agree. This little gesture is complete BS. Obama thinks we're all like children and he can trick us into shutting up. Look, the president's got your nose!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloist

The Border Patrol is there to arrest people.

The Guard will do reconnaissance, provide intel and support the Border Patrol when needed. The military can recon in ways that Border Patrol can only dream of. There are tons of assets at their disposal.

Finally maybe we can get the UAVs that we need all over the border.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Actually, I had always understood that the Governor of each state has the authority and the responsibility to use the Guardsmen of their own state to deal with issues just like this.

Granted, it seems a poor use of an army, to defend and secure the borders of the nation, as opposed to extending our military "influence" over sovereign nations abroad.

Well..., that's politics for ya!

Nice catch on the "as many as" trick. I had glossed over it initially. I wonder why the specification had to be couched that way? Seems like the assurance was more for Calderon's comfort than our own, eh?

When that happens the state pays for it out of its budget.

With federal orders the Pentagon pays for it.

The Pentagon has been working on these orders now for at least a few weeks and there will be more coming down the pipe.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
The federal administration has flinched.

While it may be wholly inadequate, it is a beginning.

Which is far more than we had yesterday.

The Federal government is supposed to SERVE the States... as so astutely put above.... it's about frickin time.

I don't see it as Flinching at all.... I see it as the President I elected doing what I think he should be doing...

We don't like the new AZ law, however we understand the problem is not imaginary... this is what Americans do... We come together to solve collective problems, regardless od our motivations,

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   
after all that ridicule he finally did something, if it wasnt a big deal and it wasnt a laughing matter why are 1200 troops being sent there. it ofcourse isnt enough and there is no real solution yet, but look what we had to do to get some security on the border!

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
The length of the US-Mexico border is 1969 Miles. Meaning they will have 1 soldier for every 3.28 miles, assuming 2 soldiers per post each working 12 hour shifts.

Yeah. Big impact that'll have. Whoop de freaking doo.

So true.. it's a farce.

Funny thing is these troops won't go near the border.. one reason: they're not qualified to detain, make arrests, process evidence.. all that minor detail law enforcement stuff border patrol agents learn attending academies... I suppose the guardsmen could attend the same training, but "as is" they can't step in the shoes of BP agents with the same authority.

So hilarious how dear leaders from both useless partys consistently fail to protect US soil from, OMG!!.. evil do'er haters of freedom 0.0 miles away who put a jihad on us from 8000+ miles away..lol.. you would almost think the GOP & DNC strings were being jerked by the same hidden hand, or is that a "conspiracy?"

Not ONE single president in generations, a so called "leader", has gone rogue, and stomped on the ground with a shrill war cry of "enough is enough!.. lets fix this dadgum border!!".. they all make silly, but tough sounding, campaign promises before folding like the cheap suit they are. ALL the border problems are just a few perks of the republican & democrat engineered lifestyle.. embrace it!.. lol, it's not going anywhere and neither are the "Mexicans".

This move serves no other purpose other than for obama to have his speech writers inject yet another absurdly false talking point dear leader can read off the teleprompter patting himself on the back.. again.

"The National Guard troops will work on intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support, analysis and training, and support efforts to block drug trafficking."

link

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The Border Patrol is there to arrest people.

The Guard will do reconnaissance, provide intel and support the Border Patrol when needed. The military can recon in ways that Border Patrol can only dream of. There are tons of assets at their disposal.

The problem still remains, the border patrol has most of their 20,000 officers on the southern border and that is not near enough to make a tiny dent in the invasion. 1200 Guard troops doing recon and intel as you say will help absolutely nothing if there is not even close enough to the manpower needed to actually stop the flow of the illegal aliens.

Unless MANY more troops are added and allowed to actually STOP the illegals, they will keep overwhelming our current line of defense.

I could see one of these recon calls now - "Hey, we got about 1000 invaders coming towards you 4 border patrol agents, good luck guys! We'll let you know if we see anymore!"

Pfft, nothing will change.

[edit on 26-5-2010 by Soloist]

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
I don't see it as Flinching at all.... I see it as the President I elected doing what I think he should be doing...

Wow, so you think the President you elected should be doing nothing, well, other than attempting to distract attention away from the actual problem?

Nice waste of a vote!

We don't like the new AZ law, however we understand...

Who's we? YOU may not like the AZ law, however you are in the vast minority, as recent polls have shown 80% + support of AZ for having the stones to actually enforce our laws for a change.

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I would volunteer in a second if the Border Patrol would take me, but according to their web site I am too old by 9 years.

How about we put some of these along the border.
www.youtube.com...
or these
www.youtube.com...
think that would help?

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Just to put this in perspective, depending on if you believe the "official" estimates or the "off the record" estimates by border patrol agents who work in the field :

Official estimates are roughly for every 1 illegal invader caught, 4 get past.

Or about 12,000 illegals per DAY.

Some agents scoff at this and contend for every 1 illegal caught, at least 7 get past, sometimes up to 10.

Or at least 19,000+ illegals per DAY.

Adding 1200 people to watch and report on this invasion will do what exactly? The border patrol can only stop what their manpower currently allows, that's the bottom line. No amount of "recon" and "intel" is going to change one tiny thing when they are already stretched as thin as they currently are.

Maybe if we quadrupled our current 20,000 agents, that might suffice until something REAL can be done to protect our porous southern border. But it's a bandaid, especially since we have plenty of well trained men and women sitting in a desert in a country they don't care about, dying for a country that will just be under control of the next psycho that comes along soon after we leave anyhow.

Pull them out, put them on the border! Hell, at least they'll be home and don't have to worry about getting blown to bits on a daily basis, and can do something to protect our country instead of someone else's for a change.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join