It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Census taker crap continues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

I appreciate your opinion and your perspective. In 1968, as you say, protesting would be fine. But how about nowadays when the likes of Janet Napolitano is labeling ex-veterans, patriots, anyone who disagrees with the government as an "enemy combatant"? It makes voicing our opinion of our tyrannical government by protest a lot less compelling.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I'm sorry, but....whaaaaaaat?

Maybe this question should be asked: Are you old enough to remember the Census of a decade ago? Or the decade before that?

I mean....it's NOW the 21st century, and this Internet thing ( I hear it's becoming quite popular, more than just a passing fad at this point...
) but, just ten years ago the 'Web" was still pretty rudimentary.

Well...maybe not in 2000, but certainly in 1990.

But, all of this angst over an event that has been ongoing for over a hundred years (or longer) every ten years???

Don't they teach U.S. History in schools anymore?

With the Web at your fingers, research is far easier, people can look this stuff up, find out. Look at OLD census data, find your geneaology history, whatever you want...the data was collected by hand, and transcribed, and stored for posterity.

BUT, I guess, in every age (computers or not) thre's always that certain element of individual on their front porch, with the shotgun, warnin' them "revenooers not ta cum nosin' 'round these perts!" [spit].

:shk:

Of course, fact that it's a Congressional mandate to collect the Census data? Pfffft! Why pay attention to facts, right?

If they're on your property, and ain't the POlice? Shoot 'em!

(We lose so many postal carriers and water meter readers that way...that's why you can't find anyone to deliver milk anymore...they got smart, wised up!)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
Could someone enlighten me as to what information they are afraid of giving out that was asked for on the form?

What are you afraid they will be doing with said information?

Basically, what are any and all threats posed by any of the questions on the form?

Thanks in advance.

I went ahead and presented my own concerns in this new thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If you really want to know why I object to the Census, I lay it all out in detail there.

Thanks.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

10 years ago did you have a president who made public statements like iPads and XBoxes turned information into a "distraction", a form of "entertainment"?

President Obama's commencement speech Sunday at Hampton University caused a little stir in tech circles after he took a swipe at some of our favorite toys — "iPods and iPads and PlayStations and Xboxes" — for turning "information" into a "distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment."

news.yahoo.com...

So here we have a man who believes the disbursement of information is a bad thing. Why is that?

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

I appreciate your opinion and your perspective. In 1968, as you say, protesting would be fine. But how about nowadays when the likes of Janet Napolitano is labeling ex-veterans, patriots, anyone who disagrees with the government as an "enemy combatant"? It makes voicing our opinion of our tyrannical government by protest a lot less compelling.

Yep, because so many Vets are in jail now for disagreeing with the government. Man, those Tea Party Movement rallies ended up just like Kent Sate...

(the previous statements were sarcasm, should it need to be noted as such)

Are you out of your bloody mind mate? Sorry but it was a hell of a lot "less compelling" (wrong usage of compelling there btw) to protest in the 1960s and 1970s in America than it is today!

Where are the water hoses, the riot dogs, the billy clubs against your heads and massive arrests. The CIA and FBI had files on one in eight US citizens during the Vietnam War. Members of the president's inner circle were advocating the killing of journalists who became "problematic." The MKULTRA program was conducting torture experimenting on the mentally ill and drugging citizens at whim not to mention sexually abusing and raping orphan children!

Those things are not conspiracy theories it is historical fact, even the United States Federal Government has admitted these things happened.

Where the hell do you get to excuse yourself by one simple and completely blown out of proportion Justice Department opinion and say it is worse that what has happened before?

You are a coward plain and simple.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

By the way, if they are on my property without invite and they aren't police officers it's called trespassing. Go defend your government somewhere else.

Do you ever have people just stop by? Any meter readers, etc?

This is not just my government, by the way. If you live in the US, it is either your government also, and if you are not a citizen, well, hello! The same rules apply to anybody that is here.

I can see how you would pull feeding your dog outside the same time a census worker shows up, but, they are there to to a job, even if you don't agree with it. It's going to be their word against yours.

Being a person who had to handle lawsuits for a utility company, for workers that were bitten by dogs, it may be your property, but guess what, you have easment issues that allow people to be on your property whether or not you invite them.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

A coward for not answering the census? On the contrary, that is my form of protest toward what the government has become.

And all of the programs you mentioned before - you talk as of those things still do not continue today. Where is the evidence that those types of back-room conspiracies have ended? Where is the evidence that says populations of small towns aren't used as test subjects any longer? Do you know any of that for a fact?

And what good does public protest get you? The MSM ultimately labels you a "racist" nowadays simply because we have a black president in office. Or you're a right-wing nutjob. They don't hear the concerns of citizens who protest these days. The MSM exists to make sure that the information presented by the liberal administration is gotten out to everyone and also to make sure that information from disgruntled citizens is twisted into something it isn't. Anyone who protests the current government, right now, is either a Tea Party member (who are obviously composed of angry white men, right?), a racist or a religious nutjob. That about sizes it up, right?

I don't consider your form of protest any more effective or meaningful than mine. You protest your way, I'll protest mine.

[edit on 20-5-2010 by sos37]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I can see how you would pull feeding your dog outside the same time a census worker shows up, but, they are there to to a job, even if you don't agree with it. It's going to be their word against yours.

It can be my word against theirs all day long. In the end, they will have no definitive proof and the burden of proof is on them.

They may be there to do a job, but I have every right to eject them from my property.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I had the same experience. We sat under the shade tree and talked about how strange it was that people used to LOVE filling out the Census, knowing we were being counted for representation. And how people are so paranoid these days.

Anyway, it was the same questions that were in the Census, so I just answered them again.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

And what good does public protest get you? The MSM ultimately labels you a "racist" nowadays simply because we have a black president in office. Or you're a right-wing nutjob. They don't hear the concerns of citizens who protest these days.

There is no problem with protesting something, but it has a lot to do with the way you handle it. How is your not filling out a census, a form of protest for you? I mean, can you explain exactly what about it, that is what you are protesting? I think I missed it, because I have just centered on your wanting to hurt somebody who is doing a job.

Also, by your above quoted area, it appears you have a lot more beefs, than just the census.

Protest all you want to, but when you talk about hurting somebody to protest something, it makes you out to be the bad guy, who accomplishes nothing through brute force.

The MSM exists to make sure that the information presented by the liberal administration is gotten out to everyone and also to make sure that information from disgruntled citizens is twisted into something it isn't.

So, if your dog bites the census worker, do you suppose it will be twisted and shown in a light, that is not what it was? It seems to me, that you are accomplishing nothing, by threatening violence, over a questionaire.

Anyone who protests the current government, right now, is either a Tea Party member (who are obviously composed of angry white men, right?), a racist or a religious nutjob. That about sizes it up, right?

So, not filling out the census, is how you show your protest against the entire government?

I don't consider your form of protest any more effective or meaningful than mine. You protest your way, I'll protest mine.

But, what exactly are you protesting, by not filling out the census? We all get it that you consider it to be "crap," but, this is your plan against the whole government?

What else are you up to, since you seem very disgruntled about everything!

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It seems the government have folks exactly where they want them, which is operating from a position of fear. I filled out a census form in 1980, 1990, 2000, and now in 2010.

I have never had an enumerator come to my door for any census. Now should one actually appear at my door I will answer thier questions while standing on the porch, I dont invite unknowns into my house no matter who they are, but I am not adverse to answering the questions, which are the same questions they have been asking since 1980.

So if you dont want to answer the question or mail in the form and prove that you are a paranoid boob then more power to you, you are just hurting yourself by screwing up your congressional representation and federal funding that may be applied to your community.

I myself am a reasonably conservative guy I just cant see any reason for unwarranted paranoia and foolishness, folks just need to grow up.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

A coward for not answering the census? On the contrary, that is my form of protest toward what the government has become.

And all of the programs you mentioned before - you talk as of those things still do not continue today. Where is the evidence that those types of back-room conspiracies have ended? Where is the evidence that says populations of small towns aren't used as test subjects any longer? Do you know any of that for a fact?

And what good does public protest get you? The MSM ultimately labels you a "racist" nowadays simply because we have a black president in office or a right-wing nutjob. They don't hear the concerns of citizens who protest these days. Anyone who protests the current government, right now, is either a Tea Party member (who are obviously composed of angry white men, right?), a racist or a religious nutjob. That about sizes it up, right?

I'm done with this thread, you've built the most bigoted and self-congratulatory view of your "protest' here, I'm surprised you haven't asked us to erect a monument to you.

How very incredibly convenient for you, you've just totally justified being a cowardly bully to yourself, but sadly you still are fabricating your own history and just making up whatever bull you want to do it.

The protest movement ended the Vietnam War, integrated the South and liberated the sexual identity of the United States. Meanwhile what you call the "MSM" (which is just a bloody made-up buzzword in the end) was investigating the war crimes committed by US soldiers in Vietnam and covered up by the military, investigating President Richard Nixon for Watergate as well as his other absolutely insane abuses of power, uncovering the unprecedented domestic spying programs and busting the war profiteers.

These people put everything on the line to save your country from itself, and you're afraid of being called a few names. That is a prime example of cowardice.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Not answering the census is a great way to protest the government. If you think they are honestly using this as a means to allocate money for your community, that's your prerogative. I believe otherwise. Sending an agent of the government to my home, to invade my space and find out about my family is an extremely suspicious act.

And not filling out the census isn't my only form of protest. I'll be voting in any election that comes up where an incumbent seeks re-election. I'll be casting my vote if that incumbent has voted in favor of certain bills which I believe are detrimental to our nation.

So while I'll not be protesting the way Joe Stack protested (which I don't agree with), not filling out the census is still protest, IMO.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

NOW who's living in a fantasy world??? Protesting Vietnam didn't bring an end to the war! If you believe that you are SERIOUSLY delusional! The Vietnam War ended because it was no longer in the country's best interest to fund the war! Those who protested only rode the already-existing wave of what was happening you idiot!! If protest was so damned effective then why did it take 10 YEARS of protest to finally end the war?

As with the MSM, it's more than being called a few names. What good did it do "Joe the Plumber" when he spoke out against Obama, asking him a tough question that the media refused to ask? All the MSM and the left did to him was ruin his life. The fact that he wasn't a plumber was beside the point as he asked a perfectly valid question.

If it makes you feel better, more giant, more magnanimous to go around calling people "cowards" because they didn't do it your way, then more power to you.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Anyway, it was the same questions that were in the Census, so I just answered them again.
Of course you did, you also voted for Obama and the bigger the government the better, isn't that right BH?

The bigger the government the more your outstretched hand will be filled- up thanks to us that work for a living.
enjoy your disability living on our shoulders and sweat.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

So when a census taker approaches my house they approach not as an individual doing a job, they approach as a government accomplice extending the powers of the Patriot Act into my home.

The census has nothing to do with the Patriot Act, it is mandated in the Constitution, Article 1, Section 2:

(Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.) [The previous sentence in parentheses was modified by the 14th Amendment, section 2.] The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five and Georgia three.

This was then modified by the 14th Amendment:

2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.

[edit on 5/20/2010 by LifeInDeath]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

We were driving the Interstate through St. Louis and saw a billboard ad for the census.

It said:

"If we don't know how many PEOPLE we have, how will we know how many BUSES we need?"

Sorry I didn't take a picture, but I thought about that sign for a long time.

Never could figure out what it means.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sodakota

"If we don't know how many PEOPLE we have, how will we know how many BUSES we need?"

Sorry I didn't take a picture, but I thought about that sign for a long time.

Never could figure out what it means.

Simple, the census is used by municipalities and states to determine how much and what sort of public services they need to provide for their citizens. If you know that a city has grown by 50,000 in the last 10 years, then you know you will likely need to increase the number of buses serving that city by quite a large number. If nobody filled out their census form, they wouldn't know this and determining how much to add to city services would not be possible.

Likewise, if the city has lost a huge number of people, they need to know they can save money by cutting services that are no longer really serving anyone.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Wondering

What a vile, evil vitriolic post!

Yet, you got a star?

:shk:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And, thank you LifeInDeath for this nugget:

The census has nothing to do with the Patriot Act, it is mandated in the Constitution, Article 1, Section 2:

SO, which is it, OP?

The Constitution, or anarchy?

(And, this should be posed to all the so-called "Tea Partiers" too).

[edit on 20 May 2010 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Just Wondering

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Of course you did, you also voted for Obama and the bigger the government the better, isn't that right BH?

The bigger the government the more your outstretched hand will be filled- up thanks to us that work for a living.
enjoy your disability living on our shoulders and sweat.

How very funny you say this. I didn't vote for Obama and cant stand the man at all. In fact, I think he is a horrible president. I am a registered Republican - although I would not always vote for republican candidates (Im more issues based than party based). I think less government is best. I didn't vote in the last election because I didn't think any of the candidates were worthy to be president.

And BH and I hardly agree on anything
yet we both had no issue talking to a census person and filling out the form.

[edit on May 20th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join