It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for members who participate

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Ok, where did the thread go from Skeptic, about visitation to this site?

Why is it, with the amount of traffic, only certain members participate?

Do we need a union, or what? For those that post.

How is the traffic affecting those who choose to post?

It's always the same people over and over, that post, Why is that, or why would you post about how many members you have, when only a few choose to speak?

Are we that, frightening, but at the same time, Enthralling fans?

Why isn't the site enlisting more to speak?

Ideas?

Are we that mean, in denying ignorance?

edit to add:

right now there are 462 members on, but most are silent. Not an accomplishment to see that many people, with only a few typing!

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I agree with you, most threads and posts are by a fraction of the members. I don't have much to add, it would just be pathetic if you made a thread about lack of posting, and no one replied...

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by time91

Now see, I have never, before seen a post from you! I like this. Thanks for adding your thoughts!

It could be we have differnt interests, but I read mostly everything here. Good to meet you.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
If you've evr been in a semi-organized group, you soon realize that, even here, it is 30% of the people doing 70% of the work.....lol.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
That thread is right here if it is the one I am thinking you mean.

As for the posting habits, some people enjoy reading or may just have the site open while composing a new thread or reply in word. Some are in the chat room, some are in BTS or the ATS Media site. Still others could be listening to ATS Live Sudio podcats or old ATS Mix podcasts

It really is a big site with many different things to see or do besides just posting. But that's my opinion, your mileage may vary.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Yes, and I am aware of you being one of the 30%!!!!

I just don't get the braggin about the site, with so many members, yet, so few, who really earn the views.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I post in a lot of the areas here, but usually ones having to do with political madness, and financial things. I also haven't been on here that long, just a few months. I also enjoy reading about UFOs and the paranormal but I don't post that often because its all about belief and speculation. Anyway, good to meet you too, see you on the boards sometime (maybe).

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Thanks, and yes, that was the thread.

Still, I wonder why there are so many silent participants.

Even with all the other you mentioned, it seems quiet.

Not that I don't love all the participants who voice the views, I wish there were more!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Hi Blanca Rose:

I never post here on ATS cause I'm just too scared......

Good question however. Look forward to reading some of the responses.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Not quite sure what this thread is driving at

I mean, on face value, it seems to be questioning ATS's claims about having a massive membership, but with only the same stable of members actually posting. Is that what the OP is saying ?

Weird, because I was thinking along similar lines during the past 24 hours

What intrigues me equally is the claim by someone somewhere that most of those who post might actually be the reputed '60 Mods' of ATS --- each posting under their personal stable of IDs ? Wonder if that's true ?

Then there are the persistent rumours that ATS is itself simply a data-gathering site in front on a US agency

So maybe all those lurkers know much more than those of us who're genuine posters ? And maybe that's why they don't post -- because they don't want their info being gathered and supplied to who-knows-who and for what purposes ?

Something else that's been commented on is the number of 'new' posters who travel in packs, all pushing the same agenda. Some of them apparently 'registered' several years ago and have rarely if ever posted --- then they all seem to congregate (by very weird coincidence) in particular threads, in order to push a particular agenda repeatedly (forming and shaping opinion ? discreditation of the OP re: particular topics?). Then they aren't heard from again

Natural to have questions about any site, of course

After all, its participants who make the site viable

It's the participants who're used to attract advertisers ... and they pay a lot of money

And it's the participants' details which are or could-be harvested by the site-owners and supplied to one or ten or a hundred agencies

So I guess questions, suspicions and caution are the right of those who patronise one site instead of another

Anyway, S & F for raising the issue, even though it's a little confused at present

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I have worked part time at several newspapers, and found that they bragged about a circulation of 10,000...true, however, they only sold about 5 thousand. But when you sell space for ad revenue...10,000 sounds so much better.

XL5

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I normally don't post anymore. The reason is that alot of the time most people like to keep their opinion no matter what the facts are and will fight to keep their view of the world intact. Then there are the wanna be mods and mods who will claim they don't know if what your saying is truth when they really do and or pretend to ignore it.

Alot of times whats already said in a thread is what the poster that didn't post was going to say. Other times whats been said has been said way tooo many times, "faster then free fall", "no such thing as a free lunch" for example. IMO its gotten to the point where there is nothing new that we didn't know before and if there is, its only on the first page. I think alot of people spend their posting time reading 4 pages of stuff and realize what they wanted to say has been said already.

I will post when I have solid proof and understanding of something and know that my words mean something.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
Hi Blanca Rose:

Why?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by manta78

Manta,

jump right in, the water is fine!

Hope to see you express more!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dock9

Something else that's been commented on is the number of 'new' posters who travel in packs, all pushing the same agenda. Some of them apparently 'registered' several years ago and have rarely if ever posted --- then they all seem to congregate (by very weird coincidence) in particular threads, in order to push a particular agenda repeatedly (forming and shaping opinion ? discreditation of the OP re: particular topics?). Then they aren't heard from again

I have noticed the influx lately too! Mostly a lot of one hit wonders, though, if that makes any sense!

After all, its participants who make the site viable

My point. I see the same people over and over who really do a lot of work here, but, rarely anyone new jumping in, on topics that really matter.

It's the participants who're used to attract advertisers ... and they pay a lot of money

Hence my joke about a union. All members who do participate should get an outta jaill free card for post dings, or something along that line.

And it's the participants' details which are or could-be harvested by the site-owners and supplied to one or ten or a hundred agencies

It's like I said about the new feature that would be like facebook, or linked to it, don't put it out there, if you don't want people to know it.

So I guess questions, suspicions and caution are the right of those who patronise one site instead of another

Anyway, S & F for raising the issue, even though it's a little confused at present

I think it's a good issue, but I would not be surprised to see this moved to BTS, which is still cool, because I like BTS.

edit typo

[edit on 19-5-2010 by Blanca Rose]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Hey, I am glad to hear you chose to be right on, with your postings, before doing it.

I like that fact that you actually read before saying something already said.

I respect that, a lot!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

ATS has a few factors I believe you may be missing.

1) This website is huge.

You should spend a whole day exploring the entire website.

2) People read a lot and also participate in cliques.

Members get into certain "traveling patterns" to U.F.O.'s, Government Conspiracies, Military, etc.

3) The site rolls around like a rotisserie.

A newer member actually accused me of shutting down my own thread because he could not find it, in the time-line of the Hutaree militia being taken down.

Because of his lack of knowledge of how ATS operates and his own paranoia.

4) People are researching and or reading so to know what to reply to others.

5) Everyone uses ATS differently and are in different countries.

There's a few things I can think of which might set your mind at ease and or inflame your paranoia.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Ya, I have experience with what you talk about too!

I won't go into detail, but I know a lot about circulation, in the printed business.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Hey, another one of the 30%!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I read your posts quite often, and I do peruse the whole site.

It took me quite a while to do so, myself, I must say.

I have recently gotten into reading things I thought I had no interest in.

Really, everything on ATS is worth a read, if one has the time, even if they know nothing about it.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by manta78
Hi Blanca Rose:

Why?

It was just a joke. I have posted here more than 250 times since
joining in January of this year.

Although it is true in some cases that people are afraid to post, especially in very politically hot topics like politics, immigration issues, or controversial ones like aliens/ufos out of fear of ridicule, or if
they are challenged in a post and are not able to respond in a way that clarifies their position.

I say however, go for it, run towards your fears, and enjoy the ride!

And apparently there are a lot of members here on ATS who do feel the same way , although more "audience participation" is always welcome

[edit on 19-5-2010 by manta78]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join