It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop looking for directions kills woman's dog

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TravisT

Good Point! Maybe they should punish him by putting him to work in the dog pound! Make him the pen hoser outter!

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Don't these guys have mace and tazers on their belt so as to have an alternative to violence or death. 35 pounds, couldn't he have kicked it away, or maced or tazed the frothing beast that was coming for his throat! I am curious again what other LEO's think about this. I know, I know, this is not representative of all officers but man, what are we to think when there is a case almost every week of crossing the line, shooting first and someone/some pet get's killed.
Someone brought up an interesting point about whether or not this seems to be exclusively a US thing. I'm not sure, but if so, why do you guys think it is? Testosterone gone awry?
Peace

[edit on 19-5-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The officer got out of his car for whatever reason, took a couple of steps toward the sidewalk and a dog comes charging at him. He steps back to create more space, he didn't want to get in the car because he didn't want to take his eyes off the dog running full bore. He shoots it. It could have been a danger to someone else. The officer did nothing wrong.

Just for reference he was serving a tax warrant. The lady recieved 15k for the dog from the city. Which is a bit ridiculous. A dog is personal property and the dog did not have a value of 15k.

I love it when people put animal welfare above human welfare. The cop saw a dog he determined was aggressive running at him at full speed and he shot it. If her dog is going to run up on people like that, I have no doubt the dog would have done it had he parked on the road as well, she needs to contain it.

I have a dog that appears aggressive although she wouldn't hurt a flea. I let her out one day and she charged my neighbor and his little poodle. Needless to say they were terrified. The dog never leaves the boundries of the fence unless on a leash. I won't let my 9 year old or wife walk her through our neighborhood on the leash because if she took off they couldn't control her. This is what pet owners with common sense do. If they own prperty which can potenitally cause fear or harm in others then they take precautions.

I've been attacked by a dog before. A 50 lb mutt. I had no weapons. I defended myself with a branch. This dog bit me multiple times. If you aren't armed and a 50lb or better dog wants to attack you, you can't do much about it. I would have shot the dog too if I thought he was attacking. Which is what the officer did. And we'll never know if the dog was growling or barking so the city paid the lady off.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Okay, I'm a huge dog person, love my dog and all other dogs. BUT, the cop had no chance to get back in his car and he reacted on instinct. He tried to retreat, had no chance to get back in the car, the dog was charging towards him, what other option did he have? I don't see that he had any other recourse, other than not do anything and risk being attacked.

You all are hung up on the cute pics in the video and the fact that it was only a 35 lb dog. What you all don't consider is that it is a terrier and they are territorial to the extreme and noted attack animals. I hate to see an animal killed, but I think the officer is in the right on this one.

I hate to say it, but I probably would have had to do the same thing in that situation.

Edit to say that I do realize the irony of my user name with this story. My nickname is KILL, friends always say, "s'up KILL dawg?" Hence the name, not advocating killing dogs.
[edit on 19-5-2010 by KILL_DOGG]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Not intending to troll but...... The so called 30 lb dog is actually about 60 to 70 pounds and is called an Airedale Terrier. Most folks know nothing of this fierce and dangerous breed that is truely a marvel of an animal built to win in combat. I've heard many stories about a particular Great Uncle who resided in Washington state, living in the woods basically, and owned two of these dogs. They were let loose to patrol their surroundings and would kill packs of wolves, just the two of them. My own personal experience has instilled in me a great respect of this breed, pitbulls would not fair well against an airedale, especially the larger size of airedale that can exceed 90 lbs. If i were a pitbull i would be jealous of the airedales RACK,,,, of TEETH. Think before you assume, that cop could have EASILY been killed by that dog...............

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

This is where all those creepy kids who mutilate squirrels and play with road kill go. Into law enforcement.

This says it all. No actually the creepy rich kids with the American Nazi parents took over our government then had all our police trained by the paperclip SS. Then they only recruit the creepy ones.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by m khan]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by illusions
Why would a police officer stop at a random house to ask for directions???
That does not make sense.

This should be posted over and over. This is what no one gets. The cop HAS a computer in his cruiser, and if he doesn't, he obviously should know the town pretty well, if he don't, he shouldn't be a security gaurd for the city.

That's the end of that arguement. This is utterly ridiculous and why I hjave absolutely NO RESPECT for the police. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.

Oath of office to protect and defend, right, Gimme a freakin break.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
reply to post by Newbomb Turk

People need to hold cops like this accountable. Make the Departments pay. Get a small video dvice and carry it to document such crimes by cops.

Ya damn skippy we should hold them all accountable! I mean remember when people had the integrity/ethics to hold THEMSELVES accountable? Nonexistent now it seems :-/ And yea...I will echo that not all cops are bad (as me having done my 20 years military I hate seeing others generalize by saying BS about EVERY person in the military likes/adores brutality and whatnot....but I will be the first in saying that those military members that take part in these "domestic peacekeeping" operations and NOT FREAKING QUESTIONING IT, OR FOLLOWING THROUGH WITH BS ORDERS TO OPPRESS THEIR FELLOW AMERICANS ARE IDIOTS THAT CANNOT THINK FOR THEMSELVES AND NEED TO FLIPPIN REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE TAKING PART IN!! And how THEY TOO will someday be a civilian again and look at what they can expect to look forward to)

But to others on here and elsewhere, simply grouping ALL military together and to ALL assume that they are "baby killers", or "rapist" is absolutely stupid! YES unfortunately TPTB seem to no longer care much for their secret agenda and operating in the shadows anymore, BUT I have seen a LOT of good men and women pay the ultimate sacrifice while conducting combat operations over there (I almost became one of the myself, but luckily for me I survived...still permanently scarred for injuries received, but I survived)...but KNOW THIS that those brave souls that have EVER went to combat did so WITHOUT QUESTION because they were DOING SO UNDER THE GUISE THAT THEY WERE DOING IT FOR AMERICA! It wasn't until about a year or so after I came back from Iraq (where I served 3 months there in the beginning of combat operations until approx 6 weeks after Baghdad fell) that I felt that I had seen enough, and put enough pieces together to question the kind of operations/missions that were being conducted...as well as a few others that I will not mention here, but the point being...when we responded to 2001 9/11 attacks YES WE HAD VENGEANCE IN OUR BLOOD, and it showed once combat operations began. WE WERE DOING IT FOR AMERICA AND FOR THOSE THAT SUFFERED FROM THE 9/11 ATTACKS.

NOT because we just LOVE to kill babies and all of the other HORSECHIT I hear all the time. You would be surprised at the statistics of those Americans that have been killed over there, were done so due to their restraint/weapon discipline in exercising caution to make damn sure that an innocent was not killed...and in doing so forfeited their own life when it was discovered that they in fact encountered a hostile. BASICALLY ALL WARFARE SHOULD NOT OCCUR IN THE FIRST PLACE is how I and many others in the military see it. They don't want to be over there. So please apply logic when making generalized statements and understand that our military ARE being used as pawns and are no different then the millions of other Americans in our country that are continuing to be deceived on a daily basis. Instead of working so hard to insinuate that our military/police forces are all completely evil...we should instead focus more on getting the word out about this matrix environment that we all live in and UNPLUG them so that they can become aware....just like with what happened with me years ago.

Sorry for the rant....its just that I served with honor, and so have all of our other military members past and present. Their unfortunate misguided convictions have been cleverly disguised in order to further a greater agenda...basically a majority have no idea that they have been used as nothing more than pawns. However once # hits the fans, I have a belief that our forces will do the right thing...at least I hope and pray :-/

/rant

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DrJay1975

I don't think that is the sidewalk Dr. J. I think he is well up the driveway on her personal property. Either way if the Officer felt the need to protect himself he should of reached for his less lethal taser.

BTW I believe the officer overreacted incredibly. It's a shame that his first instinct was to kill the dog. There is no critcal thinking or problem solving going on with alot of these cops. The shoot first and sort out the details later approach is creating a very real hatred for LEO's. It all reminds me of the things that the Western world has stood up to in the past. We are now the ones with jackboots on our throats while being told it's for our own safety.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Or in other words Pig kills dog .

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrJay1975
Just for reference he was serving a tax warrant. The lady recieved 15k for the dog from the city. Which is a bit ridiculous. A dog is personal property and the dog did not have a value of 15k.

So he didn't stop looking for directions
Where did you get this info from?

Anyway, I don't really agree with your post. He could have fired in the air, in front of the dog, even kicked dirt in its face....whatever. He used lethal force FAR too quickly. Dogs run up to people ALL the time without incident - he had many options at his disposal and could have made sure of the dogs intentions before gunning it down. As I said earlier, I think cops get a hard time and I also think they should be allowed to use lethal force on a dog if the situation warrants it. I just think this wasn't one of those situations.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
For those that did not SEE. This is in a rural or suburb area.

The officer is 100 yards onto the property, AT LEAST.

Here is the screen grab-

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b742b7372624.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curio
Anyway, I don't really agree with your post. He could have fired in the air, in front of the dog, even kicked dirt in its face....whatever. He used lethal force FAR too quickly. Dogs run up to people ALL the time without incident - he had many options at his disposal and could have made sure of the dogs intentions before gunning it down. As I said earlier, I think cops get a hard time and I also think they should be allowed to use lethal force on a dog if the situation warrants it. I just think this wasn't one of those situations.

Now that just may be the single dumbest thing I've ever read. Let's break that down:

He could have fired in the air, in front of the dog

So risk a ricochet that could kill the officer, a bystander, or simply waste the attempt at safety?

even kicked dirt in its face

That's going to do exactly what to a dog that's attacking?

he had many options at his disposal and could have made sure of the dogs intentions before gunning it down.

There it is....he didn't ask the dog what his intentions were. Brilliant! Let's wait until the dog has a good hold on my leg/arm before I try to defend myself!!!

You people have to ability to sit there in safety and consider this. Most of you have never been a high stress situation when you only get to make one choice for life or limb. Tazers are not your first choice for protecting your life, that's why they are in a more unobtusive locaiton on officer's belts than their firearm.

I will never try to claim the cops are always in the right of that abuse of position doesn't occur, but this is simply rediculous. He had one chance to protect himself and he made the right choice.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Ok, shooting the dog was wrong. He didn't have to kill the dog. I mean, if a dog is coming at you then sure do something about it.

But really, it's a dog, you outweigh it by 100+ lbs, you are obviously stronger. You have feet, hands and superior intelligence. You didn't have to kill the dog to do something about it. Not to mention I agree the police officer could have just gotten inside his car, no problem.

He could have kicked it, punched it, tazed it, maced it or swatted it with a nightstick. Why discharge a firearm? What gives?

---------

I've had many dogs run up to me like that. Most of the time, they just want you to pet them..... If not they will just look menacing and bark at you....

I've had one dog (a German Shepard) lunge at me to bite, and I punched it in the face... Problem solved...

[edit on 19-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The dog was Al Qaeda.

There's really nothing I can do other than to :shk:.

Peace

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusions
Why would a police officer stop at a random house to ask for directions???
That does not make sense.

Especially he can call this dispatcher the One on Duty not the one in the car or he can use a cell phone for directions or a Dam GPS!!!!!!!!!! that is in the majority of Police CARS!!!! is this police officer a Weekend Officer ! for a Small town ?

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjsmor
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Not intending to troll but...... The so called 30 lb dog is actually about 60 to 70 pounds and is called an Airedale Terrier. Most folks know nothing of this fierce and dangerous breed that is truely a marvel of an animal built to win in combat. I've heard many stories about a particular Great Uncle who resided in Washington state, living in the woods basically, and owned two of these dogs. They were let loose to patrol their surroundings and would kill packs of wolves, just the two of them. My own personal experience has instilled in me a great respect of this breed, pitbulls would not fair well against an airedale, especially the larger size of airedale that can exceed 90 lbs. If i were a pitbull i would be jealous of the airedales RACK,,,, of TEETH. Think before you assume, that cop could have EASILY been killed by that dog...............

What many are not getting is it does not matter if it was a 200lb mastiff on crack(j/k) the pertinent thing is what gave the cop the right to shoot the dog? A mailman cannot and they are feds,UPS can't, FedEx can't, your neighbor can't. Guess what neither can the cop. It is a breach of your civil rights and makes him PERSONALLY liable because he IS a cop.
Again so it is clear, as long as the dog is on your property he can rabidly foam and gnash his teeth or whatever as long as it is on your property no one can say or do squat unless the dog actually bites someone. Only then can ANIMAL CONTROL or a designated LE confiscate the dog and subsequently euthanize it.
On your own property, except LE serving a legal warrant or responding to an emergency,an officer cannot use deadly force at all except in defense. When he went up asking directions he was acting as a civilian and not as a LEO and had no special right to use his firearm on the animal on it's own property unless actually attacked not because he was afraid of being attacked.
So yeah if you haven't got the manhood to take down a dog without your gun, god help the 200lb human, eh?
FWIW I am disabled due to heart disease and severely damaged leg joints from trauma and I recently took down an acquaintance's 120+lb wolf in a full throat lunge at me while I was distracted. A quarter turn and my fist in his throat dropped him like a rock and sent him off pissing himself. Did I mention I am barely able to stand and walk? So why does this cop KILL a dog that after watching it over a couple times is at the upper limit 45-50lbs?
I am really sorry for those who are cowed by dogs. Or are ignorant of property rights.
N.

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by N.of norml

I agree and reiterate. He had a tazer, mace, a nightstick, fists, feet and he was 6 inches from his car door.. He didn't have to shoot the dog.

[edit on 19-5-2010 by DaMod]

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Wow. I cannot believe people are supporting this! What if I stopped to ask for directions and I wasn't a cop but I had a license to carry and I shot your dog. How would you feel then? Look at it that way. The cop had no business being there. He had no business at destroying personal property. I'm not an "animal rights activist" I am a human rights activist. This is a disgusting violation of both common sense and decency. I cannot believe this! How insane is that cop.

If this was a drug bust, or some kind of criminal activity I would understand. But the cop literally had no business being there! What the #!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on May, 19 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It appears this deputy, Sean Knight is quite a piece of work.

after the dog shooting incident he was fired from an off duty security position for falsifying time sheets.

The department stated they would not press charges because that is not a crime, however it is, because falsifying time sheets equals theft from a company.

It's obvious this guy's a scum bag who feels he can do whatever he wants without consequences, ... and his department only cover's his azz.

here's the article

chickashanews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join