It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the hell is everybody crying and whining about anyway

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I CAN'T WATCH MY DAMN TV SHOWS!

Oh come on now, how can this be interrupting Free Speach TV and Democracy Now. We know what you watch.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
No worries. The funeral was a time for good reflection so I took a walk, bought some cigarettes, and figured out what movie I would rent at Blockbuster video.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Oh yeah. Nothing like smoking Marlboros and watching Primary Colors and The American President for the 25th time.

EDIT - By the way, those things will end up killing both of us... But they sure tast good

[edit on 6/9/04 by Seth Bullock]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Agreed on the cigs but Primary Colors was a damn good movie. Didn't really care for the American President. Actually, I got Veronica Guerin.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Why are you crying and whining about not being able to watch your TV shows, Colonel? Aww I feel so bad for you.

Your REPUGNANT attitude towards this whole thing makes me sick.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I cant believe they cancelled the Simpsons for a Dead Body!! Hes dead...who cares...do they really need to shut down to whole #in country for a dead president?? Andrews AFB where i live was almost totally shut down...i couldnt go anywhere without getting checked for ID. 5000 cops for a Dead Body. What are they afraid of?? That somebodys going to try and kill it?? Its rediculous...its a DEAD BODY for christs sake. [breaths in][breaths out]

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Andrews AFB where i live was almost totally shut down...i couldnt go anywhere without getting checked for ID. 5000 cops for a Dead Body. What are they afraid of?? That somebodys going to try and kill it?? Its rediculous...its a DEAD BODY for christs sake.

Well did you happen to see the number of people there? Prime target for a suicide bomber, wouldn't u say? I can see why there would be a need for a lot of security. Especially at his funeral, every political leader in the country will be there along with heads of state from a bunch of countries. It's gonna be a big deal.

posted on Jun, 9 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
*Reagan's Popularity

"Ronald Reagan was the most popular president ever to leave office,"
Though the claim was repeated by many news outlets, it is not true; Bill Clinton's
approval ratings when he left office were actually higher than Reagan's,
at 66 percent versus Reagan's 63 percent (Gallup, 1/10-14/01). Franklin
Delano Roosevelt also topped Reagan with a 66 percent approval rating at
the time of his death in office after three and a half terms.

Look at Gallup polling data brings a different perspective. Through
most of his presidency, Reagan did not rate much higher than other
post-World War II presidents. And during his first two years, Reagan's
approval ratings were quite low. His 52 percent average approval rating
for his presidency places him sixth out of the past ten presidents, behind
Kennedy (70 percent), Eisenhower (66 percent), George H.W. Bush (61
percent), Clinton (55 percent), and Johnson (55 percent). His popularity
frequently dipped below 50 percent during his first term, plummeted to 46
percent during the Iran-Contra scandal, and never exceeded 68 percent. (By
contrast, Clinton's maximum approval rating hit 71 percent.)

*No Time for Critical Voices

Mainstream media have relied heavily on Republicans and former Reagan
officials to tell the story of Reagan and his accomplishments, which
results in a decidedly one-sided version of events.

*Reagan's Legacy

Reagan's influence over world politics and the direction of the Republican
Party were important aspects of the media's Reagan tributes. But more
often than not, the more controversial aspects of Reagan's legacy were
either downplayed or recast as footnotes.

As NBC's John Hockenberry put it (6/5/04), "The Reagan revolution imagined the unimaginable. When poverty and welfare were at crisis levels in the 1980s, Reagan declared war on government and turned his back on the welfare state." The long-term
impact of cuts in social spending gutted environmental protections and
other casualties of Reagan's "war on government" were relegated to passing
mentions.

Reagan's fervent support for right-wing governments in Central America was
one of the defining foreign policies of his administration, and the fact
that death squads associated with those governments murdered tens of
thousands of civilians surely must be included in any reckoning of
Reagan's successes and failures.

The Reagan administration's friendly policy towards Saddam Hussein was
also a neglected media topic. During the Reagan years, the U.S. offered
significant support to Iraq, including weapons components, military
intelligence, and even some of the ingredients for manufacturing
biological weapons like anthrax (Newsweek, 9/23/02).

As for critical reflection about Reagan's policies by the media
were not seriously examined. Time magazine (6/14/04) suggested, "Even when his views were most intransigent-- when he wondered out loud whether Martin Luther King Jr.
was a communist or failed for nearly all of his presidency to speak the
word AIDS even once-- Time followed Reagan gave Reaganism a human face." Time followed that strange assessment with a comment from Bush adviser Karl Rove: "He
made us sunny optimists... His was a conservatism of laughter and openness
and community."

Even Reagan's contradictions were somehow construed as strong points. As
Time put it (6/14/04), "So great was Reagan's victory in making his
preoccupations into enduring themes of the national conversation that it
may not matter that his record didn't always match his rhetoric. He
insisted, for instance, that a balanced budget was one of his priorities.
But by the time Reagan left office, a combination of lower tax revenues
and sharply higher spending for defense had sent the deficit through the
roof."

The Iran-Contra scandal, which loomed too large to ignore, was often
written off by journalists.

*Reagan and the Media

In any event, it would be hard to argue that current coverage of Reagan
carries any lingering traces of that formerly "contentious" relationship.
If anything, some reporters now seem to think that the main lesson learned
from the Reagan years was not to be critical. As ABC's Sam Donaldson put
it (6/4/04), "Reporters over the years made the mistake of saying, 'Well,
he made this mistake, he made this mistake. He got that fact wrong.' The
American public got it right. It didn't matter."

He was the Teflon Don�����God rest his soul.
rs6.net...
www.buzzflash.com...
www.pollkatz.homestead.com...
email.chicagotribune.com...
email.chicagotribune.com...
www.nytimes.com...
americablog.blogspot.com...
www.fair.org...
rs6.net...
www.fair.org...
www.worldandi.com...
www.townhall.com...
rs6.net...
msnbc.msn.com...
www.washingtonpost.com...
(www.opinionjournal.com...) (slate.msn.com...) (www.nytimes.com...) , LAT (www.latimes.com...) (www.washingtonpost.com...) .

[edit on 10-6-2004 by gmcnulty]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
Maybe we should all respect him as the sell-out that he is for....

the the slimey role he played as a so-called champion of actors guild, in delivering actors and other showbiz people to the slavering jaws of McCarthyism. We can all celebrate narcs, right?

I just heard on the news (more of that greatest love affair of all time malarkey) that he met Nancy when she came to him to get her off a blackball list of COMMIES!

Think she made it worth his while? I bet Jane Wyman was pissssed.

But this kind of skews the lot of Ann Coulter's propaganda that McCarthy was right, no mistakes were made and the targets were real communists. Unless we elected one First Lady.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If I hear any more about how great Regan was.............and all the baloney that goes into making a mythical figure of this man, I'll puke.

Did you know that Republicans plan to have Ronald Reagan's name on some public facility IN EVERY COUNTY in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, in principal, I have no problem with the naming thing. But if it part of a political strategy to build this man in death what he was not in life sorta rubs me the wrong way.

Sure if the naming is part of a popular upsurge, as it was after JFK was assassinated����.Fine, but this as a political goal?

Can you imagine how this big waste of time and money�s going to cost? Every time you name or re-mane a federal building, Post Office or Sewage Treatment plant, it takes an ACT of CONGRESS. How many counties in the USA����..These clowns refuse to pass a budget but�����Name a Public Landfill after Ronald Reagan���..STOP THE PRESSES���..
He was a nice guy; told good joke; was the type of nice guy you wanted at your back yard barbecue, unlike Bush who�s been invited so you�ll can �keep an eye on� so he doesn�t screw up too many things; but just a run of the bunch President.

Let�s get the old boy in the ground and get back to the real world���

seattlepi.nwsource.com...
www.reaganlegacy.org...

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Corporate Media: Still in 19999 form - MISDIRECTION ALERT

Forget everything that's happened in the Bush presidency, and look at the media coverage now through a clinical eye: can it still be denied that we have a complicit corporate media covering for this administration?
Does anyone remember the shiit storm happening on multiple fronts, if prime media is the gauge, just prior to Raygun's death? Convenient that Bush talked about 14 consecutive press conferences, and yet, they're cancelled with nary a whisper?
All that's absent is one man, a Goebbels, being the defacto director. Every morning show dedicates it's choice opening minutes to the "story" of the Raygun funeral. It's most critical in the AM: It's a formula based around the cup-of-coffe-bagel-out-the-door time allotted by most commuters.

The administration has given extensive access to any one wanting to stick a mic in their respective faces.....as long as it's about Raygun.

The sheep can't see the forest for the shears....

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by gmcnulty
www.reaganlegacy.org...

THESE are the ninnies I was trying to find. Thanks GMCNULTY.

Man, they're scary....and they're winning! Look at the map of Reagenized America...

On their site you click the state and go into detail.

Question: Are these the same ones that wanted to remake Mt. Rushmore and are trying to overturn Reagen's own law against death dirge memorials citing a 25 year waiting period? I fear these people.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
So let me see if I understand this, you dont have a problem naming buildings, streets, schools, and post offices after a politicianwhen he dies as long as its a politician you like is that it? Personnaly I think Reagen was a great president and that he deserves to have schools and streets named after him. If you dont write your congressman and senator and tell him you disagree. Me, I'll be writing mine and telling him I think its a great idea. Just because you think its a bad idea doesnt mean it is thats just your opinion. Nice to be an American aint it?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The streets, schools and even Airports don't bother me MwM. I think it's a bit shady that it's less of a spontaneously supported outpouring or reflective endeavor and more of a partisan organized political operation, but whatever.

Where I draw the line is tearing up the mall, or blowing up a chunk of Mt. Rushmore and yes, even booting founding father's off our currency. That bugs me. I admit it.

The man just died. Talk to me about it 50 years, and maybe I'll feel differently. I guess you can chalk it up to the "conservative" in me.
I'm not as big on rewriting history as much as Republicans lately.

Plus, I assure you if Clinton died tomorrow, you won't find me pushing to get him on the "fiddy" anytime soon, despite his astronomical approval ratings and two elected terms. It's too soon. You don't get statues until all your enemies are dead IMO. Then you get the last word.

[Edited on 10-6-2004 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
You have a bad habit of putting words in my mouth. Please stop it.

You like him? Fine! Like him.

For me, I could care less. He was a mediocre President who history will name as the one that started the process leading to the USA�s bankruptcy. (If you try an argue this point you�ll get no reply�����I don�t play: yes it is���..no its not)

Put him in the ground and be over with it. The only time Reagan was a heroic character was when he was in those �feel good movies� were the hero over came impossible odds to live happily ever after������as President, as the families of the 10�s of thousand of who lost their lives ALL OVER THE WORLD because of his policies; or the 300 marines who were murdered in Lebanon - had he done the right thing there would NOT HAVE BEEN A 9/11����.

The man is dead. God rest his soul and make his family find peace and comfort from their loss����

But please with that other stuff�����..I�m almost ready to punk if I hear much more������..

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
How precisely, pray tell did I put words in you mouth? I asked a question and then stated an opinion, Do you have a problem with either?

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Anyone who doesn't understand that Clinton and other center residing Democrats were influenced by Reagan simply doesn't understand politics. What do you do when you have a 49 state winner?
Hint: You don't move further away from whatever the hell he's doing.

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Some folks just so touchy...............Life's too short to take much of anything seriously...............especially this place.

This is called entertainment��a constructive use of ones time and mental abilities (at least for some it is. Others deepen patterns of stupidity in the recesses of their brains. And we both know their names!)

It�s a lovely day here in Fl-dua����..I think I�ll go out for lunch���..an outdoor table facing the Gulf���.life�s so sweet.

I wish all well for you friend. Till lated

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Anyone else wondering if "colonel" is as much a little kid as his avatar?

No. The colonel is actually Condoleeza Rice in drag.

I'll dig up the post where he posted her picture - she happened to be scowling - right next to his avatar. I'll be damned if the two weren't one and the same!

posted on Jun, 12 2004 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by gmcnulty
had he done the right thing there would NOT HAVE BEEN A 9/11����.

Where do you get off with this junk?

Your trying to pin 9/11 on Reagan? What could he have done differently? The only mid east things Reagan commanded was the intervention into lebannon, the Gadaffi incident, and freeing the Iranian hostages.

How the hell could he have stopped Ossama?

You want who could have prevented 9/11, try Gorlich on the 9/11 panel for creating the seperation of intelligence gathering, and the effective neutering of intelligence gathering by liberals in the 70s.

Your as off as your punctuation.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join